Code of Conduct

Default Habit Rouge EDC, EDT or Legere

Looking for the Habit Rouge that is at home from casual to formal and warm to cold temperatures. I have been wearing HR Legere from a decant and enjoy it but thought there was going to be brighter citrus. It's been a lot of years since I smelled the EDT or EDC so don't know how to proceed. Not immediately available to test either.

Default Re: Habit Rouge EDC, EDT or Legere

I own and like the EDC. Tried the EDT years ago and also liked it, but have never tried them side-by-side. Be aware that they've just discontinued the EDC, so if you're gonna grab a bottle, now might be the time.

I have the EdT and the EdP. Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier has become a fast favorite of mine. Seems smoother and has less "bite" than the EdT. Better legs too.

I find it very versatile.

Just one opinion- don't know if that helps.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    I own and like the EDC. Tried the EDT years ago and also liked it, but have never tried them side-by-side. Be aware that they've just discontinued the EDC, so if you're gonna grab a bottle, now might be the time.
    Are you sure that the EDC was discontinued?

Also, could someone else confirm that?
    Last edited by smeller; 27th April 2010 at 03:15 AM.

Titan,
    Life is short. Get both the edc and the edt and wear 'em. You know you like HR already, and there could be no harm in trying out a bottle of each. If money is a factor get one first and the other when you can. The decision won't break you, and besides, if you get one of them only you'll never know if the other might be better.

So seek fragrances bravely.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I've got the EDT, vintage EDC, and the EDP....All are worth it. This is such a great fragrance and each variant has merits! Go nuts...

Vintage EdC is pure heaven and worth a perusing over at ebay; usually easy to locate a few reasonably priced bottles.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Hillaire

The original EDT and the oriinal EDC were two distinct scents. The original EDT was a deeper, spicy fragrance, which I don't care for especially. The original EDC was the "classic", that which defined Habit Rouge. It was a complex, smoked powder scent, with swagger and elegance. The latest later versions of Habit Rouge were based on the original EDC, but have grown wanner and less interesting with each re "interpretation". Older bottles of the EDC are widely available as Brielle points out, and if you want the best that Habit Rouge ever was, you should find one of these firstly.

This is the one I own, and I know you will be pleased:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-Guerlain...item335c7f65cb

Personally, I find the vintage EdC of HR comparable, to some extent, to Eau Suavage, except it is more citrusy then lemony.
    the EdP is fantastic, and pretty much have to go with what StylinLA has to say.
    The EdP is like the Dark Nights Batman compared to the EdCs Bruce Wayne, with the EdT somewhere in the middle.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Legere and EDC are much better in my humbly honest opinion

You mentioned "bright citrus." Eau Legere has a fizzy top and is tied for brightness with the original edc. Eau Legere's top is lime, though, while the other concentrations are generally citrus.

As mentioned by other posters, the edc, edt, eau legere, and edp are all a bit different, not just different concentrations of the same scent. Impressions from my amateur nose so far:

Vintage edc: bright citrus top, goes country (hay? something like that?), dusty powder. It starts out really crisp, which is great. Don't care for the country aspect too much.

Edt: Citrus top, spicy middle, musky drydown. The citrus still has bite, and it strikes a nice balance between citrus and spice/musk.

Eau Legere: Fizzy lime top, moves to powder and musk. The musk in this one smells like a squeaky clean musk, while the musks in the edt & edp smell a little more animalic, or richer, or *something*.

Edp: Similar to the edt, but with more woods. It's smoother (less bite) and the spice/musk lasts longer.

If you can find samples online first (like here at BN?), that would be the way to go. But if you insist on a blind buy, here's my 2 cents:

1) If you're only after the citrus, stick with the Eau Legere or try the edc. (Lime vs. "citrus")

2) If you want versatility, try the edt.

And the edp? I'd wear it any season, any occasion. Because I love it. It does strike me as being a little more formal, but since it's my fav I can't really be objective about it.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

I would go for the EDP.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    Are you sure that the EDC was discontinued?

Also, could someone else confirm that?
    Yes - I can confirm it. I sent an email to Guerlain's PR person about a year ago, and she told me plainly that Habit Rouge EdC was no longer in production.

Thanks everyone. Great responses and recommendations. I can see myself adding each of these fragrances. I think I will start off with the EDC then EDT, lastly EDP.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I have the EdT and the EdP. Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier has become a fast favorite of mine. Seems smoother and has less "bite" than the EdT. Better legs too.

I find it very versatile.

Just one opinion- don't know if that helps.
    Ah, Habit Rouge! The "red ensemble" worn for the hunt: http://www.dandyism.net/?page_id=314

I agree with StylinLA and Mr. Bon Vivant on this. The EDP is divine but IMHO, a different beast with the additon of the agarwood (oud). My vote is to seek out the EDP, which is readily had in Europe, but in limited distribution in the U.S. as "Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier."

I do not like EDCs as a rule, but Luca Turin stated this version is the most pure form of the scent in its conception--more "dandified frippery" than in the reformulation version of the EDT.
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th April 2010 at 01:08 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I like the EdC better than the EdT but I have and love them both. Years ago they used to make aftershave and that was actually my favorite version.

I've never tried the vintage EDC, but I have the newest incarnation of the EDC and absolutely love it. I can't believe they discontinued it. I usually dislike animal notes but the way they're done here is brilliant. The faintest hint of an 8 week old Labrador puppy's breath. Best smell on earth.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have the EDT, EDT Legere and the EDP, and have used several bottles of the EDC.

All are Habits Rouge for different occasions and moods and have their place in the same wardrobe.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Yes - I can confirm it. I sent an email to Guerlain's PR person about a year ago, and she told me plainly that Habit Rouge EdC was no longer in production.
    Unbelievable. That's like Johnny Walker saying they will not produce Black Label anymore.

I agree with each being different enough to merit having each one. Of course if You can purchase them