Code of Conduct

Default Annick Goutal Nimfeo Mio

I sampled the new AG Nimfeo Mio for the second time today. This is a surprisingly unconventional citrus/fig scent given that this line excels in traditional citrus scents. It starts off with a sharp but bitter citrus openning followed by strong fig note. The fig is not airy like in Philosykos. On the contrary it so dense and bitter it almost feels... toxic... in a good way. It has the intnsity of the fig in Wild Fig and Cassis or Fico di Amalfi but without any hint of sweetness. And although most fig scents have a "velvety", almost musky feel this one is extremely herbal. It has "green" written all over it. What is more interesting though is that as I am writing this, almost 8 hours after two spritzes, the scent is still going strong and it reveals the most unexpected note for a base: bitter orange leave. It is beyond me how a fleeting note like this is stil anchored on the skin after so many hours.
    Anyone else tried this one?
    Last edited by cpk; 28th April 2010 at 05:38 PM.

Default Re: Annick Goutal Nimfeo Mio

I bougt a sample as soon as it was available from Essenza Nobile in Germany, along with a couple of others from various perfumers. I agree with what you've put above, the bitter citrus opening certainly wakes you up and the strong fig note lasts. I also like the aromatic/herbal notes as well as the bitter orange which is still present in the drydown. I could smell this after 5 hours, which for my skin is very good.
    It's certainly unusual, but in a good way. It's now up there with my other favourites from this company, which are Les Nuits d'Hadrien and Eau du Sud. Anyone thinking about this, go ahead and try a sample

Darn it! I want to try this so bad, but when I made my sample order the other day from LS, they didn't have it for sampling.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

This was already on my radar, you have made me want to try it even more!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Great description, cpk!

I included this in my latest order from EN... (ody, I'll let you know if we likey )

This sounds very nice.....Thanks for the review and info!!!
    Gary

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the review I'm going to try it, too! My faves from the line are Eau de Sud and Vetiver. Mandragore is OK on me, too, but most of the others don't seem to work.

Basenotes Plus

I was very "piney", as in Christmas Tree, at first. After a while I got a mango note in the drydown...that was a big turn off for me. However, my skin tends to amplify fruit notes.
    It is definitely like nothing else out on the market & for that alone I give it kudos.

There is no mention of "mango" in the notes. From the Annick Goutal web site: "Citrusy, green, woody (Essence of Italian lemon and citron, essence of petitgrain, essence of bitter orange, extract of galbanum, lentisque absolute, fig and lemon tree)."
    Last edited by RHM; 29th April 2010 at 11:31 AM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Sampled it today. Interesting scent, but found it a bit too feminine for my tastes. One of the better Goutals, though.

I am really surprised you found it feminine. I found it so bitter and herbal that I was actually surprised it is marketed as unisex. My favourites from this line are Sables and Vetyver and I think it is in the same rank as those in terms of "weirdness".

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Great description, cpk!

I included this in my latest order from EN... (ody, I'll let you know if we likey )
    Veddy good. I'll be most interested. Thanx.

PS --
    pine: good
    "wierd": good
    mango? not so sure.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 29th April 2010 at 10:48 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Ninfeo Mio - one of the better figgy fragrances. I rank it better than Hermes Un jardin Mediterranean.

It is start as wake me up citrus, rounded and spring air like. Then you smell the bitter greens and slowly the fig comes out - creamy and smooth. As you go through your day, you smell a garden all around you, the smell of figs, grass, and earth combined. Really a relaxing fragrance, unique too.

In contrast, the inspiration for un jardin mediterenee - was similar but what I am smelling is a watered garden fragrance. Too light and airy for something that should be a grand and breathtaking garden.

Ninfeo Mio is a wonderful fragrance - one of my top Goutals.

(4075)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Oh dear -- I tested it a couple of weeks ago and didn't like it at all, but to be fair I am not a big fan of 'green' fragrances per se.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Oh dear -- I tested it a couple of weeks ago and didn't like it at all, but to be fair I am not a big fan of 'green' fragrances per se.
    Was there anything in particular in it that turned you off by it, or was it just the smell in its entirety?

(4158)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Was there anything in particular in it that turned you off by it, or was it just the smell in its entirety?

(4158)
    I remember finding it quite bitter -- like a big dose of galbanum was present. By the comments here though, I think I need to give it a full wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I remember finding it quite bitter -- like a big dose of galbanum was present. By the comments here though, I think I need to give it a full wearing.
    yes do retry it with a full wearing; I am not sure if there is glabanum in the official notes; but I don't smell bitterness in ninfeo mio; it has a strong green leafy smell in the first two hours combined with creamy fig notes and a birth of earth. Though my nose maybe disregarding the bitterness because I love green fragrances.

It smells like cat pee on me.

Beautiful fragrance from AG. This one is in my summer rotation.