Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bond No. 9

Default Re: Bond No. 9 and Plagiarism

I don't think plagiarism is the right word here.

And while I see strong similarities in some bond products to others, they all have differences. At least the ones I am familiar with.

i hate Bond. will NEVER wear. in fact, i just threw out my samples out of sheer principle. that, and they smelled horrid..

While I am in agreement with much of what is being said and do love a provocative post I think "plagiarism" is too strong a word to be used in this case.
    I think any fragrance house that produces as much product as Bond No. 9 does is going to get a rap for recycling ideas both their own and others. I agree with RP's thesis that much of the antagonism towards Bond No. 9 is annoyance with Laurice Rahme.
    The statement that Bond No. 9 hasn't put out something good in the last few years I would challenge with the most recent High Line. I think it is a pretty good fragrance from them and one I have no hesitation in recommending for people to go give it a try.
    As far as original compositions go Chinatown is, in my opinion, a brilliant piece of perfume composition and is one of the few chypres attempted in the last few years that got it completely right in my book. You can say that Bond No. 9 plagiarized the thought of chypre from Coty if you wish but then the same charge would have to be leveled at Guerlain and Mitsouko and I think we might agree that there really is nothing going on here other than continual interpretation.
    There is a saying in storytelling that there are only five original stories and everything else is just variations on a theme. The same principle I think applies to perfume making. In the end this is semantics as one man's reinterpretation is another man's plagiarism.

Bottom line for me is I would wish Bond No. 9 to churn out less product because when they do get it right I think the results can be pretty good and perhaps a little less product and a little more time on composition could make for a better product overall.

Good thought-provoking post L'aventurier.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 29th April 2010 at 12:56 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I think the duplication goes both ways. Anyone ever try Boadicea Pure? It smells to me exactly like Bond No. 9 Signature.

Two of my previous posts on Bond No. 9 some people might find relevant to the discussion at hand:

From the "Is it me or are all the Bond No. 9 frags post Bleeker Street so uninspired?" Thread

From the “Givenchy Gentleman and Bond No. 9 New York Hot Always EDP” Thread

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 29th April 2010 at 01:32 PM.

Bonds are created in a hurry. Moon Fish is correct, it was set up ENTIRELY as a business with no love of perfume behind it. It is an excersize in sucessful branding.
    The fragrances lack decent ingredients for the most part, all smell "over produced" to me and lack interest or inspiration in their conception.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I was a supporter of the house early on, bought Chez Bond when it first was offered and who knows, perhaps it's a collectors item at this point since it's labeling is different than it is now. I still think Chez Bond has enough differences between it and GIT to warrant a purchase, and still own New Haarlem and some decants of Wall Street after my bottle broke. But it was Hamptons that caused me to lose interest in the house. I don't think I've smelled but one or two scents from the house since its release five years ago - I was that disappointed. Not in that it smelled like a Silver Mountain Water offshoot, but because by then, there was an obvious trend that I simply couldn't ignore anymore. They've released lord knows how many scents since then, but regardless as to whether any of them are original or not, I've simply lost interest and have sold three or four bottles that I had of other stuff (H.O.T. Always, Madison Soiree, Central Park).
    The Bark Bites Back.

GIT didn't patent fresh masculine florals and woods.
    Rochas didn't patent coffee.
    Millesime Imperial didn't patent aquatic/ozonic/citrusy (this is not to mention, Wall Street doesn't even smell anything like it. It has a similar fresh vibe going for it but it's mostly got synthetic cucumber)

I mean, ok, some scents are pretty close but not that close. If you look at it that way, all FRESH scents are ripoffs of each other. You could say that Green Irish Tweed ripped off whichever fresh floral came before it.

Whatever. Creed is great - it's all-natural, only-lasts-15-minutes-but-smells-great, very original and has rich history.
    Bond is great - it's slightly synthetic, monster lasting, more modern and hipster with their take on themes made common by frags of old. Who cares about who remixed what, why does everyone get so butthurt about similarities in colognes?

Sorry, I'm having trouble with the "Reply With Quote" function. Anyway, with respect to this post by Redneck Perfumisto:

"I agree that the New Haarlem / Rochas Man pair is pretty blatant similarity, but coffee is coffee is coffee, and you pretty much can't do a coffee gourmand any more without ripping off Starbucks one way or another."

With all due respect to RP, I always cringe when I read this type of post about New Haarlem. I vehemently disagree and find that, at most, New Haarlem has only vague similarities to Rochas Man. It reminds me of those posts claiming that Green Irish Tweed smells just like Cool Water, which is something I just don't get at all.

Whatever infractions Bond may be guilty of, blatantly copying Rochas Man isn't one of them. NH is truly in a class by itself.
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 29th April 2010 at 02:34 PM.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    The first Creed store in the US - 9 Bond St, NY
    Plagiarism!
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    Sorry, I'm having trouble with the "Reply With Quote" function. Anyway, with respect to this post by Redneck Perfumisto:

"I agree that the New Haarlem / Rochas Man pair is pretty blatant similarity, but coffee is coffee is coffee, and you pretty much can't do a coffee gourmand any more without ripping off Starbucks one way or another."

With all due respect to RP, I always cringe when I read this type of post about New Haarlem. I vehemently disagree and find that, at most, New Haarlem has only vague similarities to Rochas Man. It reminds me of those posts claiming that Green Irish Tweed smells just like Cool Water, which is something I just don't get at all.

Whatever infractions Bond may be guilty of, blatantly copying Rochas Man isn't one of them. NH is truly in a class by itself.
    You can't say that New Haarlem ripped off Rochas Man because they both were made by the same guy. For different companies I guess.
    It's kind of like saying van gogh ripped himself off by re-drawing his own piece in a different color scheme.

Also they don't even smell anything alike.
    Last edited by Vladdypwnz; 29th April 2010 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    remember guys the president of bond was the former president of creed
    Actually wasn't the founder of Bond No. 9, Laurice Rahme, the president of Creed U.S.A. which was the exclusive distributor of Creed fragrances in the U.S.? There is a big difference from being the head of the distribution company for Creed in the U.S.A. and being president of the whole company! It is not entirely uncommon for overseas distributors to knock off the designs of the products they distribute and create their own competitive lines. The smart brands tie up their distributors with non compete agreements before giving them exclusive rights to a line like Creed did.

Her role as marketer and distributor of Creed in the U.S.A. explains why Bond No. 9's approach has been very marketing oriented. I agree that "plagiarism" is way too strong a word for their fragrances which are often "inspired by" other interesting scents from Creed and many other houses as well. Her imitation designs might be considered unscrupulous except for the fact that Bond No. 9 has done such a good job with their products and they changed all of the "copies" significantly. The bottle shape similarity to Creed is unmistakable, but the scent images, names, concepts are all very different. Bond No. 9 puts their emphasis on marketing while fragrance blending artistry is somewhat a secondary concern for them. New product designs in many lifestyle/design businesses create new products by following the leaders with their new product designs. It is not plagiarism but the axiom applies - "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"!
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 29th April 2010 at 02:57 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I agree with the view that Bond No.9 is more of a business model. Take a good concept, copy it, make it last longer (with some tradeoffs - 'synthetic feel' being one of the more noticeable). Bottle the juice in eye-catching designs and colors, give them fancy names like 'Andy Warhol Silver Factory', price them like a niche and market the hell out of it. Not all that much different from what the Japanese used to do with automobiles, improve on an original concept and make it work better and sell it cheaper. I wonder if Bond is priced like other designer fragrances, perhaps there might be just a little more love for the brand...

Personally I hate the synthetic vibes. And I thought Chinatown borrows heavily from Shalimar and Opium...

I don't necessarily have a problem with "remixing", heck Montale remixes their own fragrances endlessly. The problem I have with plagiarizing in the fragrance world, is when there is almost zero attempt to change it or make it different. Not only does Bond copy other fragrances, they make them worse, more synthetic, and often times more expensive. What's wrong with this picture?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/23/fa...pagewanted=all

here you go guys she was a former distributor for Creed in the usa

heres an excerpt:

"Her reputation for ferocity was reinforced three years ago by the very public rupture of her business alliance with Olivier Creed, the owner of Creed fragrances. Accusing him of undermining the business by discounting large quantities of Creed perfumes on the Internet and on the Asian gray market, she retaliated, converting her New York Creed stores into Bond boutiques and slashing prices furiously. Creed initiated legal proceedings against her, alleging she had not paid invoices totaling $1 million.

Ms. Rahmé acknowledged that she owed Mr. Creed "a sum of money." "But," she added, "he owes me much more." "
    Last edited by DavidBond007; 30th April 2010 at 12:18 AM.

Default Re: Bond No. 9: An End to Peace on Earth and Don't Go Down by My Riverside

I do not think Laurice trademarked the word peace on earth, nor riverside. From a trademark point of view showing ownership of something that generic would be quite difficult to prove. Ever hear of a trademark violation of the work black in a cologne?

Default Re: Bond No. 9: An End to Peace on Earth and Don't Go Down by My Riverside

Also does the bond no 9 bottle say peace on earth tm? peace on earth [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]R[/COLOR]? Or just peace on earth?

Did she rename Peace on Earth into Piss on Bond ?
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurnau View Post
    Also does the bond no 9 bottle say peace on earth tm? peace on earth [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]R[/COLOR]? Or just peace on earth?
    It says neither. Laurice Rahme's trademark is for "The Scent of Peace". "Peace on Earth" is a trademarked perfume name but its holder never objected to the use of their name.
    It gets better. It looks like Rahme had to refile her trademark application due to technical mistakes in the original filings. I'll have to check up on trademark law to see if her first application was valid despite its flaws, but if it wasn't then Rahme didn't even own the trademark at the time of these events.
    Not that it really matters, the smaller guys get pushed around by the bigger guys who know that fighting them in court would cost more money than they have.

but if it wasn't then Rahme didn't even own the trademark at the time of these events.
    Oh, if only that were the case and someone would have patented the name in the meantime, forcing her to stop using it.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

New Haarlem still rocks.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

This thread makes me happy, to see such a large mass of people all pissing on Bond . To be honest, I didn't know about this or any other Bond BS before the most recent twitter fiasco, but it doesn't surprise me in the least bit. They continue to prove to us all that they are a second-rate operation.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 1st July 2010 at 11:15 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I didn't know of this bullying practice of Bond, but now that I do I will never buy a product from them. This kind of behavior has nothing to do with protecting their business or brand, it's bullying, plain and simple.

I do wish Basenotes would take an editorial stand against the company and stop mentioning new products they release.

And this thread needs to be bumped continually so new members can read it.

Thank you for bumping this thread. I was not aware that this beahvior had started so much earlier on. Big businesses are like this.
    Anya, your original post is very compelling and I'm sorry that you decided to discontinue one of your scents because of this. Perhaps it could be re-named in an ironic way? As mentioned by some, Bond No. 9's very existence and product titles in themselves represent irony and infringements of all sorts.

I escpecially love the follwoing words from your original post:
    "Liz refuses to go to war over Peace." and "Sometimes David just laughs at Goliath and moves on."
    It doesn't get any better than this.

As to my own feelings and actions; I alwyas wanted to try Bond No. 9 fragrances and almost did but after the recent Perfumed Court story, I decided not to. This thread has confirmed my decision and I am committed to inform others in my personal circles too. It's O.K. if some people think I'm deprived of smelling some masterpieces. I wish them joy.

Thanks again, everyone for the informative thread.

RM

Point Blank

I was about to try New Harleem after all rave reviews but after reading about Bond's bully tactics (TPC and now this) I've decided not to - and I'll be most happy not having anything to do with their bs products.
    Last edited by Point Blank; 10th August 2010 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    I do wish Basenotes would take an editorial stand against the company and stop mentioning new products they release.
    Although I agree that Bond doesn't deserve free publicity from us at basenotes they do deserve to be listed into the directory as basenotes is an authority in fragrances. Maybe bond doesn't deserve home page product launch news. Basenotes also deserves to earn income, so they should accept advertising campaigns from them.

I have just acquired some Bond no 9 samples and so far I have tried:

Brooklyn reminds me of Tam Dao
    Eau de New York reminds me of Outrageous! by Frederic Malle
    Cooper Square reminds me of Paco Rabanne PH. Something like of a powerhouse scent. An already done fougere.

Volley2, Eau de NY borrows heavily from Goutal's classics like Eau d'Hedrien. Cooper Square is quite unique actually. Truth be said--it's a very good scent.
    Also, I guess your sample is mis-labeled. It must be Great Jones to smell that much like PR PH
    Last edited by Killer_Vavoom; 10th January 2011 at 12:14 PM.

This whole idea of copying as it pertains to Bond doesn't bother me as I don't have nor would I buy any of their fragrances.

Maybe something that it`s being ignored here is that, like fashion, there is not such plagiarism in fragrances. You cannot copyright an aroma the same way you cannot copyright easily a dress, a shoe, a costume. Slightly differences from the inspired to the original are enough to legitimate it as differents things. Bond No 9 just did what the industry has been doing for a long time. After all, Guerlain classics like Mitsouko and Shalimar are know to be inspired by fragrances from Coty.
    And going back to Bond No 9 Versus Creed, who knows if Creed hasn`t copied someone too?
    I think that both brands are overpriced, altough they produce nice scents. For me, this kind of plagiarism discussion when talking about the juice is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I agree with the view that Bond No.9 is more of a business model. Take a good concept, copy it, make it last longer (with some tradeoffs - 'synthetic feel' being one of the more noticeable). Bottle the juice in eye-catching designs and colors, give them fancy names like 'Andy Warhol Silver Factory', price them like a niche and market the hell out of it. Not all that much different from what the Japanese used to do with automobiles, improve on an original concept and make it work better and sell it cheaper. I wonder if Bond is priced like other designer fragrances, perhaps there might be just a little more love for the brand...

Personally I hate the synthetic vibes. And I thought Chinatown borrows heavily from Shalimar and Opium...
    Strongly disagree that Chinatown has something in common with shalimar or opium...

I don't see the relation to Shalimar and Opium, either. At all.
    My Top 10*:
    1. Bois des Iles (Chanel)
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    4. Miss Dior - vintage (Dior)
    5. Jolie Madame (Balmain)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)
    9. L'Air du Desert Moracain (Tauer)
    10. Medici - Italian Splendor: Florence (DSH)
    *in no particular order because it's too hard!

Chinatown is unique and stellar. Like it or not

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Maybe something that it`s being ignored here is that, like fashion, there is not such plagiarism in fragrances. You cannot copyright an aroma the same way you cannot copyright easily a dress, a shoe, a costume. Slightly differences from the inspired to the original are enough to legitimate it as differents things. Bond No 9 just did what the industry has been doing for a long time. After all, Guerlain classics like Mitsouko and Shalimar are know to be inspired by fragrances from Coty.
    And going back to Bond No 9 Versus Creed, who knows if Creed hasn`t copied someone too?
    I think that both brands are overpriced, altough they produce nice scents. For me, this kind of plagiarism discussion when talking about the juice is pointless.
    Bond, however, is particular in making designer-frag-copies, or copies of niche copies of designer frags its core business (the occasional interesting, original perfume probably slipped through mediocrity-control) while hounding other perfumers or resellers with their trademark infringement paranoia. One must at least credit Creed with having brought out GIT before Cool Water. What bothers me about Bond is the aethetic hollowness of the whole business model - it's not a perfume house, just a commercial enterprise that happens to be in perfume. They probably have a subsidiary that manufactures landmines and another that produced low-grade ketchup for university cafeterias...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Bond, however, is particular in making designer-frag-copies, or copies of niche copies of designer frags its core business (the occasional interesting, original perfume probably slipped through mediocrity-control) while hounding other perfumers or resellers with their trademark infringement paranoia. One must at least credit Creed with having brought out GIT before Cool Water. What bothers me about Bond is the aethetic hollowness of the whole business model - it's not a perfume house, just a commercial enterprise that happens to be in perfume. They probably have a subsidiary that manufactures landmines and another that produced low-grade ketchup for university cafeterias...
    But their paranoia, which is really stupid btw, is related to things which aren`t linked with similarties with the juice. They try to do the same as the skincare company nude made with Stella McCartney did when the brand launched Stella Nude. Interesting that no one pointed that the founder of L'Artisan Parfumeur made similar versions of his previous fragrances on his new brand, Maitre Parfumeur and Gantier. And if you`re going to follow this line of paranoia regarding the pseudo plagiarism, you`d have to banish half of the fragrances launched. I hope that i didn`t understood it wrong, but it`s only a thing to be blamed when you assume a ridiculous tramark infringement like Bond No 9, and in the other cases the similarties are ok? If it`s the case, it`s very odd. Bond will not be the first, and neither the last to follow this kind of practice. One thing is to condemn it, the other is to accuse of something that is not considered a crime inside this industry context - is like trying to find reasons to pebble someone that you simply despise because of his/her behavior.

Steve Jobs, 1996: "Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal"

So Bond no. 9 is merely good, not great...which is what the general BN populace sentiment about the house is
    -

.... Who cares , if you love it , buy it

Basenotes Plus

[QUOTE=Redneck Perfumisto;1821589]I won't disagree that there are similarities in the pairings you mention, but to my mind (and nose) they are different enough to beat a plagiarism rap on all pairs mentioned. Similar styles, yes, but no more than that. I wouldn't even say unoriginal. Maybe just following a well-worn path on some. Quote]

I totally agree. I own both Scent of Peace and Light Blue and they may be a little similar in the opening, but that's where it ends. Scent of Peace is a far superior fragrance and develops differently.

I also see no relationship between Chinatown and Shalimar or Opium, all 3 are totally different.

My objection isn't the "stealing" so much as it is the bullying. I find that really distasteful, petty, paranoid and... well, just childish.

On the other hand, I think at least two of the scents are pretty damn good, and the concept and bottles are interesting (I know the flacons have their haters, but they're good marketing). The woman does seem to have some business sense.
    My Top 10*:
    1. Bois des Iles (Chanel)
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    4. Miss Dior - vintage (Dior)
    5. Jolie Madame (Balmain)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)
    9. L'Air du Desert Moracain (Tauer)
    10. Medici - Italian Splendor: Florence (DSH)
    *in no particular order because it's too hard!

I think the word we are going for here is.... olagiarism.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

I'm glad Bond No. 9 "plagiarized" Creed's GIT, because Chez Bond smells smoother and lasts longer on my skin.

I also prefer Pepsi over Coke.

I agree with New Haarleem, I would choose Chez Bond over GIT even though I own a GIT bottle.

I don't mind that Bond no. 9 steals ideas and makes them better, really, we just shouldn't care, I still hate the ridiculous price, therefore I hate Bond no. 9 for a very poor quality/price ratio.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    ...I still hate the ridiculous price, therefore I hate Bond no. 9 for a very poor quality/price ratio.
    Yeah, I wish they didn't copy Creed's price tags.

When this subject comes up I am always reminded of all the Gio copies.....I can think of about 10 that try to accomplish what Gio accomplishes.
    I'll take Chez Bond over GIT any day of the week!!!
    I'll take Bleecker Street over Purple Label any day of the week!!!
    MI and Erolfa smell nothing like Wall Street in my opinion!!! And I'll take Wall Street any day of the week over MI and Erolfa!!! I've had everything mentioned.....I've done the tests.....I know what I like!!!
    Gary

I feel like this needs to not be forgotten.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Definitely! I didn't know about this and the little respect I had for Bond no 9 has turned to utter contempt.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

what this is is capitalism, its all around us and its not going away any time soon. There is a lot worse out there than Bond no 9 thats for sure!
    Top 5 current fragrances:

1. Creed Cedre Blanc
    2. Tom Ford Costa Azzurra
    3. Bond no 9 Montauk
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino

I don't see the point of dragging up "news" that is nearly 5 years old. There are plenty of examples of companies or corporations protecting their name brands and products. Didn't Chanel protect "No.5"? Could be wrong but I think so. Nikon has a camera called "F2" and Olympus could not come out with a camera called "E2" because of that and skipped the number releasing the "E3".

This thread should be locked IMHO. Old, very old news. And one of the posters above who said they would never buy a Bond scent now has a bond scent in their wardrobe.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I will never buy from Bond No. 9 because of this.

Words like "peace" are so generic. Think of all the scents named "blue" or "bleu." Ditto for the word "dandy" and what happened to Guerlain's marvelous Arsene Lupin Dandy.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I will never buy from Bond No. 9 because of this.

Words like "peace" are so generic. Think of all the scents named "blue" or "bleu." Ditto for the word "dandy" and what happened to Guerlain's marvelous Arsene Lupin Dandy.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Bond is tacky and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I don't see the point of dragging up "news" that is nearly 5 years old. There are plenty of examples of companies or corporations protecting their name brands and products. Didn't Chanel protect "No.5"? Could be wrong but I think so. Nikon has a camera called "F2" and Olympus could not come out with a camera called "E2" because of that and skipped the number releasing the "E3".

This thread should be locked IMHO. Old, very old news. And one of the posters above who said they would never buy a Bond scent now has a bond scent in their wardrobe.
    This is on a tangent, but are there any lawyers out there who can explain how trademarking or product name protection works? 'Dandy' does seem to be a relatively normal word, so how did Guerlain infringe on D'Orsay's Le Dandy, especially since Guerlain's product's name is not identical (i.e. it is not 'Le Dandy' as well)?

I always thought, most of the Bond fragrances were plagarized. I like NY oud and Harrods Oud, thats it . Though I will admit NY Oud shares many characteristics with Montale's Black Aoud. In any case this fragrance house is mired in a lot of scandals, from the Creed fiasco, to the current Racism lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Guess that's why they just sued Samsung for patent infringement :P

Bond no 9.. the rash that refuses to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I always thought, most of the Bond fragrances were plagarized. I like NY oud and Harrods Oud, thats it . Though I will admit NY Oud shares many characteristics with Montale's Black Aoud. In any case this fragrance house is mired in a lot of scandals, from the Creed fiasco, to the current Racism lawsuit.
    ???

NY Oud and Black Oud are radically different.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

No they are not that different, NY oud is more animalic but to everyone I know, they seem to smell virtually similar. Both share the same synthetic Rose and Oud note coupled with patchouli and musk.

Lets try M7

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Picasso said that.

omg Bond is not only the American Montale its more entertaining too!

Blog Entries

First, to the comments on Montale, You can't plagiarize yourself, it is "variations on a theme". They found a theme, and make subtle differences. No one wants to own all of the frags they make, they are too "redundant" BUT, people have different favorites within the redundancy. Second, Bond no. 9 makes money in a free-market economy. If people like it, they buy it. I don't care for most Bond products, but to each his own. Line up all the GIT similar scents, sniff each, and everyone will pick a favorite. Most lay-people will say they all smell like Cool Water, but afficionados will smell the difference.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Banned
    Blog Entries

Actually Wall Street is nothing like Millesime Imperial, aside from a salt note.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, almost all Bond fragrances are very overpriced.

Bond quality is on par with Chanel, Hermes and Dior. But their price point is $90, while Bond's is $230.