Code of Conduct

Default If I like Aramis Havana what else will I like?

I recently started wearing Havana just to get a feel for what it's like. It was a blind buy and when I first sprayed it on I thought I made a terrible mistake. I thought it smelled like the perfume my grandmother used to wear. After about 5 wearings I am totally in love. I love how this is much different than the Chanel Allure Sport and Kouros Body that I own. To my nose there is nothing sweet about this fragrance. The women go crazy over this scent and even my guy friend had a positive comment toward it. Is there anything similar that I would enjoy? How is Havana Reserva?

Default Re: If I like Aramis Havana what else will I like?

Montana Parfum D´Homme (RED BOX!!)
    ..similar, but less expensive..

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    Montana Parfum D´Homme (RED BOX!!)
    ..similar, but less expensive..
    I agree, Montana very similar.
    I'd also say Rive Gauche is worth a try.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I find YSL Jazz similar to Havana. Not sure if anyone thinks the same way. I personally prefer Jazz.

Czech and Speake Cuba.

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille.

Guerlain Vetiver.

They all have tobacco in there.

Amouage Jubilation XXV as well !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

C&S Cuba and Montana are most similar. Cuba has, to the noses of those who pick up on it, the dirty/fecal accord, so be warned. Havana Reserva, if you can find it (and if you can find it and can afford it - BUY IT), is a richer, smoother and more concentrated version of standard Havana. If you imagine standard Havana as a (very very good) synthetic, then Reserva is the all natural and incredible equivalent.

Not sure I agree with YSL Jazz, Tom Ford or Guerlain Vetiver though - I don't think any of these smell remotely like Havana.

I agree with great_badir - C&S Cuba is of a similar ilk, as is Cuba Paris Red which is widely available in the states and pretty easy to get in the UK mail order. The thing is - Aramis Havana is superb and the best at what it does - why try similar (inferior?) versions. If you like the general feel of Havana as opposed to some of the more modern, sweeter offerings why not try classic fragrances such as YSL Rive Gauche, Azzaro Pour Homme or even Guerlain Heritage? . These are the frags I turn to when I need the kind of 'feel' Havana provides.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    The thing is - Aramis Havana is superb and the best at what it does - why try similar (inferior?) versions.
    Actually, yeah - I concur with that. Much as I love Cuba, Havana is by far the best of its kind.

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    Not sure I agree with YSL Jazz...
    Me either, but Jazz Prestige sure shares a similarities with Havana. I find JP to be even more aromatic and rich, with terrific green apple overtones.
    Basically it doesn`t make any sense since the actual notes (and probably even ingridients) are quite different with the couple, but the overall presence is somewhat very similar indeed.

Sadly Jazz Prestige is very hard to find these days. I bought my bottle few years ago from Direct Cosmetics UK, I believe it was the last bottle, and I ended up with this buy due the ad I saw in the Basenotes directory while I was checking out the reviews of the specific scent(!) It was a blind buy, 25 pounds including shipping. And no regrets, although I actually reach the bottle very rarely.

Montana pour homme, of course, because they smell so similar to each other.

You should try Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac, you're gonna love it.

I recently sampled Havana, and it's certainly similar to Montana "red box," but Havana is drier and doesn't sweeten up as much as the Montana, so keep that in mind. It also doesn't have much, if any, tobacco.

Dependent

Chances are you would enjoy Montana (Red Box). But if you already have Havana (which I prefer of the 2), you probably won't *need* the Montana.

+1 to Guerlain Vetiver, particularly the vintage. I love both vintage and new but the new has a more citrusy top... the rest is nearly identical.

Aramis Classic Reserve, as it has that signature Aramis touch.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

New West

Doesn't really smell all that similar, but it has the same spirit & presence...

Some fragrances that are of the same general tone but different too are:

Miller Bertaux Spiritus/Land
    Original CdG edp
    C&S Cuba
    Parfumerie Generale Coze

Cool Re: If I like Aramis Havana what else will I like?

Quote Originally Posted by mike1990 View Post
    I recently started wearing Havana just to get a feel for what it's like. It was a blind buy and when I first sprayed it on I thought I made a terrible mistake. I thought it smelled like the perfume my grandmother used to wear. After about 5 wearings I am totally in love. I love how this is much different than the Chanel Allure Sport and Kouros Body that I own. To my nose there is nothing sweet about this fragrance. The women go crazy over this scent and even my guy friend had a positive comment toward it. Is there anything similar that I would enjoy? How is Havana Reserva?
    Hi, Mike.

Anything on my wardrobe that I give 5 stars (And don't forget to check out my 'wish list' as well.)
    Seriously, check out the reviews of H.R and Havana--They're practically identical.
    The principal difference is the Reserva lasts longer. It's more concentrated.
    Oftentimes concentrated versions of a scent suck big time. e.g; Eau Sauvage Concentree is a bad parody of Eau Sauvage.
    But here this one is the happy exception. The Reserva rocks as well!

Now as far as what else you will like, yes the Montana original " the red box" is similar to Havana--but why would you want something so similar? There's more logic in the Czech and Speake Cuba, which is lighter and arguably more 'summer' than Havana; and it's also a 5 star frag, imho.

Cuba Paris Red is an el cheapo of which the less said the better, Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac is good and unusual but didn't do it for me.

Now I really like ( you do get by now that all this is subjective, right?) Guerlian Vetiver--but it's being recommended to you because of the tobacco note.

If I understand your question correctly you're asking what else is out there that has the joy and power of Havana, not necessarily what has tobacco or Bay Rum.

Unfortunately the journey is long, expensive (but at least not fattening)
    The answer is what you discover to be 5 star scents.
    (Hm. . .perhaps my original wisecrack about checking my 'drobe is not so far in the outfield)
    I would say Cuir d'Oranger another Miller Harris product would be ahead of Feuilles de Tabac as far as a Wow!
    In the Eureka! and Machometer scale, though it's about orange and leather.

Anyway, look up the reviews of the scents you find intriguing.
    Get a decant from TPC or elsewhere before you spring for a full bottle.
    And have fun searching for more 'Holy Grails.'

Buena Suerte, viejo!

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

vintage tabarome which to me smells like the original aramis but even more masculine and classier

Great advice above already, I'd want to second, third, and fourth many recommendations here. I own and have worn the Montana that's mentioned and the Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac that is mentioned and they are really fantastic scents and good recommendations.

The only thing I can add is a tangent, and that's that when I wear Montana from the red box it reminds me in part of Halston Z-14. They're not the same, and the Halston isn't thought of as a tobacco scent per se, but the Montana reminds me of it and makes me want to wear it in the next days. You might find a similar delight if you end up digging the Montana. Or even if you can come across z-14 and give it a chance first. It's great stuff and quite inexpensive and easy to come across.

What a wonderful bunch of scents are listed on this thread.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

If you like a tobacco note, you should also check out Michael Kors for men, very male, maculine and very popular with the ladies...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    If you like a tobacco note, you should also check out Michael Kors for men, very male, maculine and very popular with the ladies...
    This is a good scent. In same vein and price range as Havana. Worth a try.