Code of Conduct

Default What "modern" frags give a nod to (1) L'Heure Bleue or (2) the classic French feel?

It's almost time for a sample spree (probably Lucky Scent and Les Senteurs). How big a binge depends a bit on this thread. Please help me find scents in the following two categories:

1) Gives a nod to L'Heure Bleue:

I love the "cool, blue" vibe of LHB. Is it the heliotrope and orris? I also find this in varying degrees in Arpege PH, Jaipur Homme and Lolita Lempicka.

Or it could be a different twist on LHB. I read that both Parfumerie Generale's Bois de Copaiba and Grossmith's Shem el-Nessim give a nod to the grand dame. ?

2) Something that successfully adapts the classic French perfume feel. One example is Hermes' 24, Faubourg. I love the animalic and slightly barnyard notes in the edt. It feels classic, but I don't feel like I'm wearing a vintage perfume, if that makes sense. And it was released in 1995! Any other "modern" frags that successfully pull off the French vibe?

*Orientals, florientals and gourmands only please!*
    *Can be marketed to men or women (i.e. BN standards in effect).*
    *Designer or niche.*

Details and "reasons why" most welcome. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 29th April 2010 at 08:08 AM.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Default Re: What "modern" frags give a nod to (1) L'Heure Bleue or (2) the classic French feel?

Sacrebleu by Parfums de Nicolaļ.

Default Re: What "modern" frags give a nod to (1) L'Heure Bleue or (2) the classic French feel?

Paul et Joe Bleu, a Pierre Bourdon creation in a very Guerlain-esque mode. I'd say it owes more to Shalimar, but it is certainly built along the line of a 'French classic'.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Bulgari Black

Amouage Ubar, Gold & Dia Woman all feel quite classically French to me - varying degrees of 'grande dame-ness'.

Acqua di Parma Profumo certainly has a classic floral chypre quality.

+1 Sacrebleu and raise you Odalisque from the PdN line, and I agree that PG Bois de Copaiba references LHB specifically.

Looking forward to other opinions - these are just from my very limited personal experience.

also say Bvlgari Black. Only it has more vanilla...

I own both Sacrebleu and L'heure, and find no similarity.

Sacrebleu is just a cute fruity floral. L'heure bleue is diffrent business.
    Last edited by w3pearl; 29th April 2010 at 03:38 PM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Iris Poudre for the powdery feel and Douce Amere for the cool-yet-warm feel.

Quote Originally Posted by w3pearl View Post
    also say Bvlgari Black. Only it has more vanilla...

I own both Sacrebleu and L'heure, and find no similarity.

Sacrebleu is just a cute fruity floral. L'heure bleue is diffrent business.
    Agree - LHB is a very different business from pretty well anything out there - but the question is also about contemporary perfumes with a classic French feel.

Basenotes Institution

1) Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths for the almondy/heliptrope feel and/or Jubilation 25 by Amouage for that classic/oriental feel

2) Please try Egoiste by Chanel. The most 'Guerlain' of the whole Chanel line, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by w3pearl View Post
    ...Sacrebleu is just a cute fruity floral...
    Whoa! Really? I don't get that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Whoa! Really? I don't get that at all.
    I wrote it all clear in my short review to it. That's what I smell. <(...)a warm berried "blossomied" floral fruity. (...)>

...far from L'Heure Bleue anyway...

noses are diffrent, I guess.
    Last edited by w3pearl; 29th April 2010 at 06:08 PM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

it's very difficult to buy it because now discontinued, but I think Quand vient la pluie
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    paul et joe bleu, a pierre bourdon creation in a very guerlain-esque mode. I'd say it owes more to shalimar, but it is certainly built along the line of a 'french classic'.
    bingo...

I was enormously impressed by Amouage's Ubar recently. It really smelled like a vintage French creation, the mixture of jasmine, rose, iris, civet, and incense giving it a very abstract and beautiful effect. It's smoothly animalic, richly oriental, yet soft and shaded, too; not powerfully heady like Poison and its relatives, but something from an earlier time, perhaps the '20s or '30s.

Basenotes Institution

Une Fleur de Cassie by Frederic Malle- vintage in feel .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Teo Cabanel's Alahine harkens to a classic feel and time, but bridges the gap beautifully.
    Could possibly be unisex because it is never sweet, just classic feeling.
    Last edited by cello; 30th April 2010 at 01:06 AM.

HI, do you consider LB to be a signature scent? What strength?
    If it's EDP or Parum, you may find Mona di Orio's Oiro interesting. it's heavier on the vetiver and jasmine, and it will depend on your chemistry how much that will come out.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier: George Sand
    Patchouli that time forgot. No head shop.
    [Nothing like l'Heure bleue, but has a solid, classic feel, yet is easier to wear than many of the true classics]
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 30th April 2010 at 12:58 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier: George Sand
    Patchouli that time forgot. No head shop.
    [Nothing like l'Heure bleue, but has a solid, classic feel, yet is easier to wear than many of the true classics]
    Oh yes, MPG George Sand is quite wonderful - like Opium but smoother I guess.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

1) Guerlain's own L'Heure Bleu update, Insolense EdP. Maurice Roucel took the original apart and made it modern and loud. Great stuff after the first hour, spray lightly.
    2) Juliet Has a Gun Calamity J., smells like a modern, vanilla/amber Guerlain.
    HAPPY HUNTING!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 30th April 2010 at 04:09 AM.

Modern frags with a classic French vibe:

Miller Harris Noix de Tubereuse reminds me of L'Origan,

and MDCI Enlevement au Serail reminds me of Rochas Femme.

Modern L'Heure Bleue type frags: Andy Tauer's Le Maroc pour Elle has long reminded me of L'Heure Bleue.

Wow! You all seem to "get" exactly what I'm looking for. Many good points made, and well put: 'Guerlain-esque', ' bridges the gap beautifully', 'like Opium but smoother'...

@ BayKAT: Yes, I do consider LHB to be a signature scent, followed closely by Shalimar. I prefer the edp and parfum for myself, and my family likes the way the vintage edc smells on me.

@nyneve: "It's very difficult to buy it because now discontinued, but I think Quand vient la pluie." ARGH! You're killing me! Discontinued? I must be out of the loop. I've been counting on trying this for quite a while now…

Thank you everyone for the recommends! You've gotten me excited!

Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 1st May 2010 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Strunk & White
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque and Iris Silver Mist
    Chanel 31 Rue Cambon and 28 La Pausa