Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances you are glad you didn't buy blind.

As a follow up to the thread about the worst blind buy, what are the fragrances you wanted to blind buy because of the notes or good reviews, but luckily you got a sample of it first and realized that you actually don't like it?

For me, after I realized that I enjoyed the vanilla note, I wanted to get Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford for a darker vanilla fragrance. But based on various reviews, people seem to think Havana Vanille by L'Artisan is better than TV, so I was all ready to buy it blind. Luckily, I was getting a bunch of samples from the perfumed court, so I thought to try it out first. Boy am I glad... as much as I like vanilla, for some reason, vanilla and booze just don't rub me the right way. I like that the spices and booze make the fragrance light, unlike some of the orientals I have, but it's just not my thing.

Default Re: Fragrances you are glad you didn't buy blind.

A* Men, Parfum Sacré come to my mind immediately.

Kouros - I know it gets a lot of hate, but I just love powerscents, so I thought it was a safe bet. Well, I'm glad I sampled it, there are cheaper ways to smell like a urinal cake.

Blog Entries

Carolina Herrera Chic. Boring.

Knize Ten.
    I almost got into finalising a deal for a big bottle but then I was surprised to find a sample of it in the mail from a fellow basenoter......
    It saved me lot of money.

Having sampled Amouage quite a few years ago, I'd purchased in the past Gold, Dia, Cirrus, Arcus and Jubilation. I then purchased Lyric when it came out blind thinking it would be great, but I found it disgusting and it just didn't last on my skin (no more than half hour), so when Epic came out, I did get hold of a sample and also found this was nasty on me and not my cup of tea, so I'm very glad I didn't waste £150+ on this like I did with Lyric, which I had to sell on Ebay for a loss.
    Since that costly mistake with Lyric, I've never purchased anything since without trying it out first and if a company will not provide or sell a sample, or if I cannot buy a sample from the likes of First in Fragrance, I'll move on and forget about it.

A while ago I was looking to buy my first Niche so I wanted something different and edgy so I was looking at Etat Libre D'Orange (also because they are relatively cheap) and for some reason only god knows, I thought Rien sounded good. I was | | this close to blind buying but I ordered a sample instead. Most vile and disgusting fragrance I have ever smelled. Smells like every accord of everything bad tossed in a blender and bottled as Rien. Funnily enough Rien means "nothing" I think? that's a whole lot of nothing.
    I'm not your toy.

Basenotes Institution

Profumum Neroli . Neroli - you can't go wrong ,right ?
    Well , this is a scrubber on my skin- thank God I didn't buy blind .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Micallef Aoud Homme
    Roses and oud, smoky woods - all the right-sounding notes for me. Got a sample and could not believe how weak the scent was. The most luscious top note, very alluring - but it was so faint on my skin after ten minutes it was like having no scent on at all.

Washington Tremlett Black Tie
    A tailored, masculine rose is what I was expecting. This was sharp, which is o.k. with me, but it was sharp AND generic-smelling. So glad I did not give in.

MPG's Ambre Preciuex. After reading reviews about it and saying how it was a nice powdery amber, I was set to buy it. I love my ambers.

Luckily, I ordered a sample from luckyscent and wore it for a day. Boy, did I get that sample. I was feeling nauseas and felt like vomitting throughout the day, something about it didn't rub me right.

From now on, any niche perfumes require sampling first

I remember how I was tempted to blind buy Fumerie Turque based on the reviews talking about that honey tobacco scent.
    It sounded really good, so I got a small decant for a fraction of the cost. I still haven't gathered the nerve to wear it. It smells very perfumy and old lady like to my nose.

Yatagan

As I tend to be over hyped about fragrances there are a lot of stuff I glad or wish I didn't blind buy. Namely:

A*Men - All I get from this one is stinky armpit smell with very little sweetness of chocolate throw in
    IceMen - Patchouli period (tried a lot of TM fragrances and the only things that I really like are La Rose Angel and Mugler Cologne)
    La Nuit de L'homme - Too flowery for my liking
    Jaipur - Not that it's bad it's just that I can find a better interpretation of the scent in Pi
    Very Irresistible / Very Irresistible fresh attitude - They both turn salty on my skin. It might be that my skin doesn't agree with those fragrances
    Aqva / Aqva Marine - The lesson is to stay far away from aquatics cuz my chemistry will never agree with them
    Last edited by jasonx; 29th April 2010 at 05:04 PM.

some creeds (git, hymalaia, mi)

Salvador Dali Laguna - Does not smell like Dreamer and has a weird plastic smell
    Iceberg Pour Homme - dated and boring
    Jivago 7 Elements - Jaipur-esque oriental that's somewhat funky on my skin
    Sexual by Michael Germain - Nothing special
    Good Life by Davidoff - Turns bitter on my skin
    Roberto Cavalli Black - Too fleeting (but smells great while it lasts)

A*Men

1. Any Montale fragrances
    2. MPG Eau de Iles
    3. LV Piper Nigrum
    4. C&S #88

C&S #88 and most Creeds and Tom Fords
    not my cup of tea at all
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Voleur de Roses - L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Gris Clair - Serge Lutens

Both of these are fairly highly praised here at Basenotes. I somehow resisted the urge to purchase both from fellow members at a steal. Having since sampled both I'm happy I managed to resist.

Voleur de Roses is an example of a rose scent gone too far. It is a rose so concentrated to the point it is out of balance and artifical. I knew from the reviews that it would be strong but not disgustingly so. No real rose smells like this. It and Lyric Man are the two rose scents i've tried so far that i've truely disliked.

Being a fan of lavendar in many forms and that I appreciate insense I thought Gris Clair would be a sure hit. However, it comes off plastic-y to my nose, almost as if a soft plastic cup was run through the dryer with one of those nasty "lavendar" scented dryer sheets.

I'll try each again in the future as i've had 180's before but I don't have high hopes.

C&S #88
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Terre D'Hermes
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

1- Black XS
    2- Gucci Pour Homme
    3- Chrome Legend
    4- A*Men

For me it's a lot of the Tom Fords, especially Tobacco Vanille. I loved the opening, but after that it's way too sweet for my liking, and more effeminate.

Creed MI. After a skin test, no way I could walk around comfortably in it. Too fem for me. That coming from a Body Kouros fan.

CK Obsession Night. I was about to buy it blind but luckily the same day I had a chance to sample it. It was worse than meh.

A La Nuit - nice, but nice isn't enough at Lutens' prices.

Aromatic's Elixir - dark, rosy chypre. Sounded like love, smelled like death. Unbearable on me.

Clandestine - canned pineapple and Poison lite. I don't dislike this one per se, but I'm so glad I didn't jump for a full bottle.

Kai - attack of the plastic flowers, not a gardenia in sight.

Velvet Gardenia - saved from the cheese attack by a couple wearings. It's still "something else", but respect isn't love.

for me this had to be Amouage - Tribute. Just waaaaay too strong for me. I had gotten Homage a whike back and thought it must be as good if not better. I managed to get a sample prior to buyin. To me it smelled too strong and over-powering, much like some EO's do undiluted. To be fair I've only had 2 maybe 3 wearings but that was enough to make me think that the >1ml I have will last me a while.

Upon reading alot of descriptions and reviews over here and over there I imagined to myself that Etro's Shaal Nur is the fragrance for me! Without ever sniffing it, of course. So I ordered myself a 5 ml decant and in the process of checkout on a whimsy I decided to throw in a 1.5 ml of Messe de Minuit just to try the damp and dreary thing and once and for all be done with thinking about it, since the Etro line has gone out of business in my country and all there's left is Ambra and Vetiver, but they are a constant reminder whenever I walk pass the counter where all Etro's used to be... So eagerly I awaited for the package to arrive... Imagine my surprise to discover that I find Shaal Nur just plain and "perfumey", but Messe de Minuit rich and wonderful and has since became one of my favorite fragrances ever! It was divine providence putting that 1.5 ml sample in the basket.

I got a sampler of Tom Ford's Italian Cypress. I already like Tom Ford Oud Wood... so why not that one?

Got a sample and there's a note in there that just turns to downright BO on me. Smells great on paper. Smells great on cloth. Smells great on my friend that I gave my sample to. But turns to something awful on me. Blind buy averted.

Mine was Chergui and l'air desert marocain. I almost bought them blind but thank God I ordered samples from luckyscent. The Chergui just didn't cut it for me, don't know if its a bad sample/batch/whatever but I get this barnyard smell that was off putting and it wasn't as rich as I'd expected it to be. The l'air smelled exactly like a hospital disinfectant that is very used in Africa. Couldn't imagine the shock on my wife's face when I wore the sample.
    Last edited by Granola; 30th April 2010 at 12:16 PM.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

L'Anarchiste and The Third Man. L'Anarchiste became cigarette ash, and The Third Man just really wasn't my cup of tea, I think mainly due to the rose. The only rose fragrance I've found I like so far is Incense Rose, although I'd love to give Egoiste a re-visit.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

L'air du desert Marocain

- Kouros (this is a love/hate fragance)
    - M7 (idem)
    - Mugler Cologne ( it´s very weak on my skin)
    - La Nuit de L´Homme ( i prefer another options on this line)
    - Envy by Gucci (i like it, but i don´t love this scent)
    - Givenchy BLue label (similar to AdGio)

Baudelaire by Byredo.

The notes sounded wonderful and the dandy references hard to resist, but this scent did not sit well with me. I am glad I only sampled.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Baudelaire by Byredo.

The notes sounded wonderful and the dandy references hard to resist, but this scent did not sit well with me. I am glad I only sampled.
    I'm afraid Byredo's aesthetic doesn't really mesh with Baudelaire's aesthetic. I found Baudelaire pleasant but unremarkable, but when I think of the poet, I think decadent... Poison, Muscs Koublai Khan, that sort of thing, not a fresh milquetoast masculine.

"Who but the Devil pulls our waking-strings!
    Abominations lure us to their side,
    Each day we take another step to Hell,
    Descending through the stench, unhorrified."

Himalaya by creed

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

A big favorite on BN, Rive Gauge Pour Homme. Totally unwearable on me - it makes me nauseous.

10 Corso Como.
    Tam Dao is one of my all-time favourite scents, and reviews make it appear that 10 Corso Como is a must for any TD-lover. It nauseates me. A lot.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

1. Terre d'Hermès
    2. M7
    3. Platinum Egoiste
    4. Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    A big favorite on BN, Rive Gauge Pour Homme. Totally unwearable on me - it makes me nauseous.
    Agreed on this one.

Nearly bought blind because of the hype, and because I struggled to find it anywhere. Eventually did find it and was relieved I'd not wasted my cash.

Boss Baldessarini.

"Modernist-dry-woody-fruity" sounded exactly like the sort of thing to shake up my wardrobe and I only just purchased Rochas Lui ahead of it.

Wearing a sample of Baldessarini today, I can say that was a good decision in hindsight. It is very interesting and the best of the Boss scents by far but--critically--it is *absolutely* not me.

Well worth a sniff for anyone who hasn't tried it but I really lucked out with Lui in this instance.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 2nd May 2010 at 06:21 PM.

PdN New York!
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

A men pure coffee