Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 61 to 120 of 218
  1. #61

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Perhaps the estate of Ian Fleming should tweet them about ceasing to use the name Bond.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    .......
    Last edited by MikeNY; 4th September 2011 at 01:25 AM.

  3. #63

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    In the end, money will talk. Consumers will take their business elsewhere. Since perfumes are not like food but a luxury, and we are mostly buyers of fine scents (i.e not cheap), they stand to lose money...big time. The power of the customer is a force to be reckoned with.

    Time for our resident perfume bloggers to get busy with this news.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th April 2010 at 08:49 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    I've only bought one Bond No 9 fragrance and that was New Haarlem that I got discounted. I'm selling that bottle and will make sure I never buy another one of their fragrances. They aren't good, are overpriced, and their tactics suck.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

  5. #65

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    Stupid move ,what are they afraid of ? Maybe someone will buy a decant ,fall in love and buy whole bottles. I think all perfume houses would do themselves a favour selling 10ml bottles and sample sets.
    Niche perfumer Ineke sells a set of nicely presented samples for $25 and then a $25 coupon off your next full-bottle purchase. Now that is good business sense. You can't lose.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th April 2010 at 09:09 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  6. #66

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    If I were a representative of theperfumedcourt, I'd respond to the tweet by saying "remove the Bond No 9 decants? Gladly. No one buys them anyway."

  7. #67

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY911 View Post
    Bond keeps taking down any Facebook posts that express disdain toward their recent actions. They also removed the link to this page.
    "If you want a vision of the future, imagine Laurice Rahme stamping on a human face - forever."

  8. #68

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    If I were a representative of theperfumedcourt, I'd respond to the tweet by saying "remove the Bond No 9 decants? Gladly. No one buys them anyway."
    Indeed. They are a good house don't get me wrong, but waaaaaay overpriced. I bet TPC keeps them in business with their buys.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    NOOOOOOOO!!!! How could TPC give in to Bond!? Ugh, I'm pissed now. This is clearly a case of a spoiled, entitled brat abusing their power.

    Edit: And thus, you see, the problem with posting as you read a post. The very next one addresses it. D'oh!
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 30th April 2010 at 10:21 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  10. #70

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    What does buying a decant have to do with purchasing non-faked fragrances? Decants allow you to test the fragrance out before you shell out the money to purchase a full retail bottle. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of faked decants, and as such, it sounds to me as if you're comparing apples with oranges. Certainly, no one is accusing PerfumedCourt of selling fake juice.
    Agreed. Not to mention TPC, are well-known, ex-Basenoters (I believe they used to be contributing members of the boards, before combining together to start TPC), and are true fragrance fans. You have nothing to worry about with buying from TPC.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  11. #71

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    For real? They delivered an actual legal threat via twit? Sounds highly suspect to me. I don't believe it.

    Bond merchandise: still looking for a home run from them. I own Riverside Drive - OK stuff, not great.

    New Haarlem: when I sampled it, I could only think "smells like I dumped a Starbucks mocha on me." Shame, too. Sounded like something I'd really like. I like Rochas Man, which is kinda similar.

  12. #72

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    I am reminded of a fiction/novel writer who legally went after all the fan fiction writers who wrote about the characters. A hugely successful book franchise not unlike the teen vampire books out these days.

    Bad for business. These teen fans were only acting out their passion for the writer's work and characters. Stamping out the fan fiction put an end to their enthusiasm. Results: lower book sales.

    Novelists, like perfume companies, should be gracious to the customers with generous samples and complimentary little gifts. This generates business and FUTURE business. You don't alienate customers who buy luxury goods with spare income to spend. We are their life-blood--the perfume fans who will buy scent time and time again.

    Sampling is part of the buying process. If my niece shares a few spray samples of what she has, I might become enamoured and buy a full bottle. Today, I just gave away a bottle of scented lotion to my niece because she liked the scent. Is someone going to legislate how I can dispose of my lotion purchase: give it to a relative, swap or sell it, or dump it down the sink?

    Again, I will not explore the Bond No. 9 house after this, no matter how pretty their bottles might be. There are tons of pretty bottles out there. I would rather give Guerlain my business. I love their bee bottles!

    Another poster put it perfectly: shooting themselves in the foot. I'd say stabbing the goose who lays golden eggs.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th April 2010 at 10:58 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  13. #73
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,401

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I am reminded of a fiction/novel writer who legally went after all the fan fiction writers who wrote about the characters. A hugely successful book franchise not unlike the teen vampire books out these days.

    Bad for business. These teen fans were only acting out their passion for the writer's work and characters. Stamping out the fan fiction put an end to their enthusiasm. Results: lower book sales...
    Business Administration 101: there is no way campanies can make a profit from delivering value to their customers and its community unless they build social value first.

    In plain English, if your business' sole purpose is making money, and you don't care about anything else, chances are you will (sooner or later) end up banckrupt. If, on the other hand, as a businessman you care about your customers for the relationships established with them and with your community due to potential and actual social impact your business has on that community, your company will be:

    1. Well regarded;
    2. Considered as a valid supplier
    3. The object of increasing sales

    This meaning better revenues.

    OK, let's face the true: this does not always work. Im am thinking of monstrous multinationals with worldwide distribution capabilities selling goods for amazingly low prices.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Good point. I will go many miles/kilometres out of my way to get the products I want and the service I insist on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Business Administration 101: there is no way campanies can make a profit from delivering value to their customers and its community unless they build social value first.

    In plain English, if your business' sole purpose is making money, and you don't care about anything else, chances are you will (sooner or later) end up banckrupt. If, on the other hand, as a businessman you care about your customers for the relationships established with them and with your community due to potential and actual social impact your business has on that community, your company will be:

    1. Well regarded;
    2. Considered as a valid supplier
    3. The object of increasing sales

    This meaning better revenues.

    OK, let's face the true: this does not always work. Im am thinking of monstrous multinationals with worldwide distribution capabilities selling goods for amazingly low prices.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  15. #75

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    This is a more recent one in a similar vein (http://openjurist.org/263/f3d/1297/d...hillipe-l-dray) Basically, if you repackage and a sell a product under its trademarked name you are in the clear as long as you avoid a). misleading labeling that confuses consumers b). destroying/modifying the product and still claiming it as the brand name product.
    Strong work, Zizanioides! Thanks for these citations.

    This second one doesn't seem to be getting much discussion, but I really think it's worth reading. Here's my summary (but be aware that I'm not a lawyer):

    PLD corporation imported gray-market but legitimate bottles of Cool Water and other Davidoff fragrances. They etched the bottles to remove the lot codes embedded in the glass and then sold the bottles in the U.S. as Davidoff fragrances. Davidoff petitioned the court for a preliminary injunction, a ruling requiring PLD to stop the sales immediately while the case was litigated.

    The lower court agreed with Davidoff that etching constituted "material alteration" of the perfumes and that the sales of the etched perfumes were therefore likely in violation of Davidoff's trademarks. It granted the injunction. PLD appealed, and the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals reviewed the case. The appeals court's ruling is the document cited by Zizanioides, and in it the appeals court upheld the preliminary injunction against PLD.

    It seems pretty clear from this that selling decants is a material alteration of trademarked goods. If you can't etch or modify the original bottle, you certainly can't do away with it entirely and sell only the juice.

    On the other hand, the decant sellers aren't claiming to sell "a bottle of Cool Water"; they're claiming to sell "4ml of fragrance removed from an original bottle of Cool Water and stored in a small vial from an independent supplier", which could be an important legal distinction.

  16. #76

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    I'm not a lawyer, but my question would be if Bond sells samples of their scents (which I assume they do), would TPC be in the wrong because in a way Bond would be competing against themselves, and their sample sales would be hurt by the sales of Bond samples by TPC...

  17. #77

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  18. #78

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    I saw a post up there earlier saying something to the effect of "no! tpc has caved and is, in fact, not carrying Bond 9 anymore!" They said this because when, on tpc website, if you click on Bond No 9 no fragrances appear. Not sure why that is, but if you simply type in the name of the Bn9 fragrance you're looking for they do, in fact, appear and are available. Why anyone would want to purchase these after these shenanigans I don't know, but if one were to still desire them, they are still there for purchase.

  19. #79

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    That's it. I'm putting my bottle of Gramercy Park on the sale board. (UPDATE: It's now on there if anyone wants to buy it.)

    Love the scent, hate the shenanigans.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 1st May 2010 at 01:12 AM.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

  20. #80

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Perhaps the estate of Ian Fleming should tweet them about ceasing to use the name Bond.
    co sign

  21. #81

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I agree. Bond No. 9 is one house I have not explored...and now will not explore.
    What he said... even though Perfumed Court cheated me on my last order and didn't give me a piece of candy with my order.
    Last edited by Handsome Toad; 1st May 2010 at 01:19 AM.

  22. #82

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, but my question would be if Bond sells samples of their scents (which I assume they do), would TPC be in the wrong because in a way Bond would be competing against themselves, and their sample sales would be hurt by the sales of Bond samples by TPC...
    But TPC isn't getting these fragrances for free. That's the thing that I don't get, TPC is buying legitimate bottles from authorized dealers (they mention this somewhere on their site, how fragrances are generally bought from Bergdorf, NM, Saks, etc.) Bond is getting sales from TPC, and not at a discount I'd presume, considering the large markup. The whole situation stinks, and Bond exemplifies incredibly poor business strategy. Look at the opposite, Andy Tauer, is consistently lauded for his kind demeanor and general generosity. He most likely has created lifetime fans and clientele, simply by being a human being.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  23. #83

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    The company has a history of bullying which has made me vow never to test, review or even mention them anywhere. It's lucky that I only vaguely cared for one or two of them, making this boycott very easy indeed.

  24. #84

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    I'd really like to see some of the Youtubing BNers make a video about this, or at least mention it in a review, and help spread the word about Bond and their ridiculous behavior.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  25. #85

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    What he said... even though Perfumed Court cheated me on my last order and didn't give me a piece of candy with my order.
    I believe that Primrose is a she....

    Either way, the only upside to the Bond No. 9 announcement, is that it will make their fragrances a little more "exclusive."

  26. #86

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    What does buying a decant have to do with purchasing non-faked fragrances? Decants allow you to test the fragrance out before you shell out the money to purchase a full retail bottle. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of faked decants, and as such, it sounds to me as if you're comparing apples with oranges. Certainly, no one is accusing PerfumedCourt of selling fake juice.
    When one purchases a decant, how do they know what they have purchased? Can they be sure the correct product was sent? It's one thing to have a friend give You a decant.....I read so many times about those who order a scent and the order is wrong.....and there are times that it takes much longer for the order to make its destination.....I read about broken bottles and bottles that are not full.....I read about juice that does not smell right.....
    I am making no accusations.....I do not like the idea of buying a decant.....That's me!!!
    Gary

  27. #87

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Doh! For some reason I never realized you are the mind behind that blog. Excellent work, sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    Strong work, Zizanioides! Thanks for these citations.

    This second one doesn't seem to be getting much discussion, but I really think it's worth reading. Here's my summary (but be aware that I'm not a lawyer):

    PLD corporation imported gray-market but legitimate bottles of Cool Water and other Davidoff fragrances. They etched the bottles to remove the lot codes embedded in the glass and then sold the bottles in the U.S. as Davidoff fragrances. Davidoff petitioned the court for a preliminary injunction, a ruling requiring PLD to stop the sales immediately while the case was litigated.

    The lower court agreed with Davidoff that etching constituted "material alteration" of the perfumes and that the sales of the etched perfumes were therefore likely in violation of Davidoff's trademarks. It granted the injunction. PLD appealed, and the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals reviewed the case. The appeals court's ruling is the document cited by Zizanioides, and in it the appeals court upheld the preliminary injunction against PLD.

    It seems pretty clear from this that selling decants is a material alteration of trademarked goods. If you can't etch or modify the original bottle, you certainly can't do away with it entirely and sell only the juice.

    On the other hand, the decant sellers aren't claiming to sell "a bottle of Cool Water"; they're claiming to sell "4ml of fragrance removed from an original bottle of Cool Water and stored in a small vial from an independent supplier", which could be an important legal distinction.
    Thanks! I like looking at the legal decisions that shape our little corner of industry. I think I was dropped on my head as a child =/

    I think your last paragraph is correct; selling samples is fine if the customer is aware that they aren't buying the packaged good as shipped from the manufacturer but a smaller unit sans trade dress. The Davidoff case clarifies what constitutes a tampering/marring of the goods and expands the old idea that you can't change a product and then market it as unchanged. If TPC were selling false Bond goods or diluting them then Bond would have a pretty clear trademark infringement claim but I can't find anything to suggest that their business-as-usual is in the trademark wrong.

    In my authority as "Some Guy on the Internet" I declare Bond to be in the wrong, barring any revelations about TPC.
    Last edited by Zizanioides; 1st May 2010 at 02:18 AM.

  28. #88

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    When one purchases a decant, how do they know what they have purchased? Can they be sure the correct product was sent?
    In the case of The Perfumed Court, you know because it's The Perfumed Court. They have a very good reputation. That's not to say that you're required to buy decants, of course. But they are at the "fully trusted" level in my personal hierarchy of perfume sellers.

  29. #89

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Today, I received my brochure mailer from Saks featuring perfume and jewellery gift ideas for Mother's Day. Saks is launching an exclusive Bond No. 9 scent called Saks-En-Rose: a rose scent with dry dates, lantana leaves, mace, with a rose heart orris and tuberose. I sampled the tester strip and it is indeed a nice rose scent. (I adore YSL Paris and Stella McCartney...) The FB sells for $215 for 3.4 oz.

    Will I buy this? NO. I would much rather spend money (for the price) on something By Killian. Companies with customers willing to pay premium for niche are fastidious in their demands for quality and service and will happily walk their money to another vendor. Customers like us are REPEAT CUSTOMERS who will buy year after year. I hear a full bottle of Ineke calling...or another Guerlain...I can tell family member right now to think about a gift for me...and it will not be from Bond No. 9.

    We have taken our money elsewhere in search of cruelty-free toiletries, for instance. (Jack Black shaving products are cruelty-free.)

    Silly business move, very silly...
    Last edited by Primrose; 2nd May 2010 at 03:09 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  30. #90

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I am not going to address the legal questions here.....and I will not speak bad of Bond No.9.....I will say that I will not purchase a decant of any fragrance from any House.....Not One!!!!! I will only purchase Fragrance from an authorized representative.....I want the real thing.....I see so many threads about fake scents.....I cannot afford to take chances with fakes.....I want to know and be sure that I have purchased the real thing!!!
    Gary

    I understand your trepidation against buying decants from potentially unscrupulous sellers... however, TPC (or for that matter any established member of basenotes) has a great reputation and I can definitely see buying decants as several-days'-worth samples or "wow this is vintage and I gotta smell it!" ...

    And I'm guessing that most folks who sell decants are bona-fide enthusiasts that want to spread the love, but can't do so without depleting their precious FBs... or buy vintage FBs and THEN want to share the love, and pay for more FBs. (but I could be wrong.!)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

  31. #91

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Can them. They don't need your decanting business when they already make an awful lotta of moneyz selling their overpriced juices in pretty bottles to the gullible and to the "tres chic". It is so obvious they want to keep their reputation as uber exclusive. I remeber including a link to a member's question on where to get cheap bond samples to an ebay's seller site who sold packages of ten bond samples for twenty dollars. That was 17 mls of all bonds for 20 $ and guess what??!! The seller vanished the very next day!

  32. #92

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    I don't think trademark infringement is exactly what this is, and I don't have any particular feelings toward Bond No. 9 one way or the other, but I do see their point. To me, selling decants of fragrances is like buying an album, recording a song from it, and then selling that song to others. I can't imagine that being considered legal or ethical. Small samples are probably OK (although I think they should be offered free by the manufacturers), and decants given to friends may be OK, but selling substantial decants of commercially sold fragrances seems a bit iffy to me, and making an entire business of it seems pretty shady. To put it another way, if someone were buying Tide detergent, repackaging it in smaller amounts, and reselling it for profit without a licensing agreement, do you think that Procter and Gamble would not be all over them?
    This is the view I am taking on this debate.

  33. #93

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Banned No. 9

  34. #94

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Anyone want a PR job at Bond? Lol. Noticeably absent from job requirements is anything about promoting a positive brand image.

    http://www.jobtarget.com/c2/job.cfm?...e1c1ac452c4014
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 1st May 2010 at 02:33 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  35. #95

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    I realize that Bond will continue to take down inflammatory remarks from their FaceBook page, but I say we keep putting them up there! Eventually others will see them, and the word will get spread!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  36. #96

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Well, the thread is great and hot!
    I`ll never buy Bond#9 scents they produce (and never did). That`s not my business - I prefer human relations with customers. Boycott!!!

    By the way - could we read some tweet message about this Basenotes thread soon? )))
    Vetiver The Great!!!

  37. #97

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Damn! They took down my comment and the other guy's comment on their Facebook page. I don't think you should have the right to edit your own page.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  38. #98

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Screw Bond#9, never cared for them, they will lose business. Creed forever!!

  39. #99

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    Screw Bond#9, never cared for them, they will lose business. Creed forever!!
    David, I understand you love Creed. But I'm just wondering, after you explore and purchase all of the Creeds you want, are you going to move on to other houses? (This wasn't meant as a dig, I'm genuinely curious)
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  40. #100

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    David, I understand you love Creed. But I'm just wondering, after you explore and purchase all of the Creeds you want, are you going to move on to other houses? (This wasn't meant as a dig, I'm genuinely curious)
    Well I have explored the designer market quite a bit way before i went to niche. I think I can explore Le Labo, Frederic Malle, Serge Lutens,etc. Nonetheless, it is hard to beat Creed because of their quality, I have never smelled another fragrance house that can match the quality. I will probably stay with niche, check the designers like YSl which i like but I will probably stick with Creed as my main guy at least for now. I learned to never say never lol. Nonetheless, I will probably never buy a bond #9 cologne.
    Last edited by DavidBond007; 1st May 2010 at 08:38 PM.

  41. #101

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    David,

    You really should check out Amouage and Xerjoff. IMO they surpass the quality of most Creeds (doesn't mean I don't love me some Creeds, though! )
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  42. #102

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    David,

    You really should check out Amouage and Xerjoff. IMO they surpass the quality of most Creeds (doesn't mean I don't love me some Creeds, though! )
    I will make note of this thanks Soul

  43. #103

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    Well I have explored the designer market quite a bit way before i went to niche. I think I can explore Le Labo, Frederic Malle, Serge Lutens,etc. Nonetheless, it is hard to beat Creed because of their quality, I have never smelled another fragrance house that can match the quality. I will probably stay with niche, check the designers like YSl which i like but I will probably stick with Creed as my main guy at least for now. I learned to never say never lol. Nonetheless, I will probably never buy a bond #9 cologne.
    Good to hear! I like your enthusiasm, I just wanted to make sure you didn't pigeonhole yourself into one house, and miss out on all the other great stuff out there!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  44. #104
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Good to hear! I like your enthusiasm, I just wanted to make sure you didn't pigeonhole yourself into one house, and miss out on all the other great stuff out there!
    Absolutely! I like SoS's recommendation of Amouage. I think this is a great suggestion for David.

    I understand this kind of nebulous "quality" thing that David talks about, and that lots of people associate with Creeds. I don't think it's so much that the scents themselves are better than what others are offering. It's more that questionable scents are kept out of the lineup - a kind of selectivity - the fact that nothing really half-assed gets rolled out. Everything seems finely crafted, whether it's aimed at youngsters or stuffy old farts. Amouage is like that. I also think that The Different Company does this. Every scent seems to be done with care, and it creates an aura around the whole lineup.

    I think Bond has, to some extent, done this as well, but lately they seem to have moved to a model of rolling out lots of new products, and it has me a bit baffled. It doesn't fit the image, IMO. Cracking the whip on decants doesn't seem to make sense, either.

    One possibility - Bond's "bonbon box" is basically a competitor with decants. It's a great way to sample the line, and the money goes straight to Bond. I get the feeling that this little tempest may be protective of Bond's own "decant" business.

    Times are tough. I smell economics behind this.
    * * * *

  45. #105

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Good to hear! I like your enthusiasm, I just wanted to make sure you didn't pigeonhole yourself into one house, and miss out on all the other great stuff out there!
    I get you for sure, i have tried many it is just tough these days to beat Creed since so many of these fragrance houses are nearly totally synthetic.

  46. #106

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Absolutely! I like SoS's recommendation of Amouage. I think this is a great suggestion for David.

    I understand this kind of nebulous "quality" thing that David talks about, and that lots of people associate with Creeds. I don't think it's so much that the scents themselves are better than what others are offering. It's more that questionable scents are kept out of the lineup - a kind of selectivity - the fact that nothing really half-assed gets rolled out. Everything seems finely crafted, whether it's aimed at youngsters or stuffy old farts. Amouage is like that. I also think that The Different Company does this. Every scent seems to be done with care, and it creates an aura around the whole lineup.

    I think Bond has, to some extent, done this as well, but lately they seem to have moved to a model of rolling out lots of new products, and it has me a bit baffled. It doesn't fit the image, IMO. Cracking the whip on decants doesn't seem to make sense, either.

    One possibility - Bond's "bonbon box" is basically a competitor with decants. It's a great way to sample the line, and the money goes straight to Bond. I get the feeling that this little tempest may be protective of Bond's own "decant" business.

    Times are tough. I smell economics behind this.
    not just the fragrances being well made but you can smell the naturalness in them. Creed is nearly all natural and one can smell that, in other frags i have messed with especially in the designer realm smell way too synthetic and i am not a big fan of that.Creed to me is about elegance and uniqueness that only a select few wear them and in most cases people of high society since they are not cheap, and to risk sounding as an elitist I kind of like that where so few wear them.

  47. #107

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Well, Creed - and really any of the exclusive houses (Amouage, Xerjoff, MPG, LV, etc) are usually rather far from all natural, but that's not the point. They use enough naturals (often expensive floral absolutes, woods and resins, etc) and bolster them and augment them with synthetics in such a way that you get the best of both worlds: the fullness, richness and depth of naturals, and the modern sparkle, lift, longevity and diffusion of synthetics.

    I wonder what the % of naturals really are in the Xerjoffs, Amouages, and Creeds of the world. Would be interesting to know!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 2nd May 2010 at 12:32 AM.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  48. #108

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    creed is around 80%

  49. #109
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Well, Creed - and really any of the exclusive houses (Amouage, Xerjoff, MPG, LV, etc) are usually rather far from all natural, but that's not the point. They use enough naturals (often expensive floral absolutes, woods and resins, etc) and bolster them and augment them with synthetics in such a way that you get the best of both worlds: the fullness, richness and depth of naturals, and the modern sparkle, lift, longevity and diffusion of synthetics.

    I wonder what the % of naturals really are in the Xerjoffs, Amouages, and Creeds of the world. Would be interesting to know!
    Yes - this is exactly where the Creed EDTs get me. BdC, BdG, Epicea, Neroli Sauvage - I just smell them side-by side with modern designer doing light citrus, juniper, pine, or neroli, and the difference blows me away. Some of these analogous designer frags will elicit a brief notice from people around me, or maybe a momentary compliment, but these Creeds tend to get people to make repetitive compliments. (<sniff> "That's good." <sniff> "That's really good." <deep inhale> "What is that?") When I tried Neroli Sauvage the first time, the next three people I met complimented me on it, each separately without hearing the other. Freaky. It's like the difference between a leather seat where you sit down, and one where you sit down and start feeling it up, not caring what people might think.
    * * * *

  50. #110
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Back on topic....

    Good one! And a nice laugh at the end, too.

    I'll be honest - I like several scents from Bond no.9, have no animosity toward the company, and have no intention of boycotting. I simply think it's a mistake to go after decants. Bond has effectively appealed to people in a Park Avenue way, but it needs to work on its Broadway appeal. Most people who buy decants are not the people who amass bottles willy-nilly - in many cases, in addition to serious niche samplers, they're folks like young people, or people on the way up, who need to watch their budget, and won't touch the product otherwise. I think it's silly to jump on decants. Turning off the people who in 10 years may very well be buying full bottles is not smart. Smart would be figuring out how to leverage decants.
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 2nd May 2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: elaborated plus gramatical
    * * * *

  51. #111

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Back on topic....

    Good one! And a nice laugh at the end, too.

    I'll be honest - I like several scents from Bond no.9, have no animosity toward the company, and have no intention of boycotting. I simply think it's a mistake to go after decants. Bond has effectively appealed to people in a Park Avenue way, but it needs to work on its Broadway appeal. Most people who buy decants are not the people who amass bottles willy-nilly - in many cases, in addition to serious niche samplers, they're folks like young people, or people on the way up, who need to watch their budget, and won't touch the product otherwise. I think it's silly to jump on decants. Turning off the people who in 10 years may very well be buying full bottles is not smart. Smart would be figuring out how to leverage decants.
    Redneck, well said. Cultivating lifelong customer loyalty is good business sense. Read this again: LIFELONG. To alienate customers (esp. future buyers) is business insanity. I recall a disagreement with a local coffee house from years ago. To this day, I will go elsewhere for tea and coffee. For instance, Guerlain (although not niche) will always have my business, unless something drastically changes in customer service. Once a customer, one can receive samples of releases. Even niche house Ineke does this. Good business sense.

    The best advertising is a happy customer, the worst is an unhappy one. I still maintain TPC does a service for prospective perfume buyers. The concept of a sample clearinghouse is a valid one.
    Last edited by Primrose; 2nd May 2010 at 03:47 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  52. #112

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Hot thread and some interesting views. IMHO there are a couple of things that jump out with this issue.

    OK, a tweet? Usually any sort of cease and desist warning has to be sent by registered mail to hold up in court as having been sent and received if further action is going to be taken - at least as far as I am aware. Unless a tweet or facebook notice or email is just a 'friendly warning' prior to formal legal action being instigated.

    I agree that economics is the bottom-line here - quasi pun intended. And I think it's all to do with control over the customers purchasing decision making options. Sure, TPC bought the bottle they decant from so Bond gets it's mark up from the sale of that bottle. But if 10 people are buying 5ml or 10ml decants and decide 5 or 10ml is enough for their Bond experience of that scent then Bond have lost a sale. And given the thriving business in decants from TPC and the fact that we will never know how many decant purchasers go from decant to 'FB status' then it becomes clear, let's just say, that as many houses are losing sales of FBs as they might be picking up new customers of FBs because of the model TPC offer. The decant purchase option undermines their business - it's as simple as that.

    You could argue that Bond are pretty generous with their little bonbon samples and that could amount to the same thing (as being able to buy 'samples' or decants from TPC) but they have a degree of control over who receives them - the potential customer gets them from licensed retailers or by mail from the company correct? So the seller decides who receives them and the packaging is part of the experience and there is a sense of being 'given' something. There is a big difference in receiving a free pretty little sample from the seller to buying an anonymous looking vial of juice from an online company . . . for the general public at least (who I don't presume to speak for but allow me that observation, if you will ).

    Receiving a legit free bonbon, or a handful of them, from a retailer is the first subtle psychological step in a business relationship that may well bare fruit for the seller further down the line, or at least build some good PR so even if the potential customer doesn't like the scent he/she will be less inclined to diss the company. Bond and any other company is surely aware that if someone BUYS a sample and doesn't like it they will be pissed off and probably tell friends 'it was a waste of money'.

    With regard to the quality control issue, TPC seem to have a sterling reputaion BUT I think any perfume company could arguably make the case that by decanting perfume there is the possibilty for some degradation of quality through exposure to air, heat etc and the posiibility of mis-representation by a vial being mis-labelled thru human error. If it came to court this would be an interesting one to watch. Expert witnesses would need to be called, do TPC have 'laboratory conditions' etc etc

    Full disclosure regarding these two businesses and my thoughts on them. I bought a 50ml Chinatown as a collectors item and that's enough for me - I have samples a lot of their scents - more bonbons than I care to count - and I have yet to find one I would want to buy (altho I might one day). I see Bond as a cynical overpriced style over substance maketing exercise, frankly. I have only ever bought one decant from TPC a 'Vintage Apres l'Ondee' for a very high price, that lasted about 20 minutes before vanishing entirely - lolly water. I refuse to buy decants - if I want to sample a scent I will either get it free from the house or request a sample from Luckyscent or AZL or Perfume Shoppe when I purchase other stuff.

    Frankly I have no time for Bond or TPC - but good luck to them both with their respective business models, and I respect any individuals desire to purchase from either of them - it's a free world, spend your money where you will.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 2nd May 2010 at 05:18 PM.

  53. #113

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    One more thing I'd like to point out, that may bare some interest, is that I firmly believe that TPC is only advancing Bond's exposure, and in turn, can only positively impact Bond's business. I keep hearing that Bond is, in effect, competing in the sample-selling business against TPC, but I just don't see how that's so. TPC, before they can sell the decants, must first purchase the bottles from Bond. Assuming that these are relatively good sellers for TPC, TPC may very well represent one of Bond's most consistent revenue streams. Second, aside from "those in the know" and those that shop at Saks, how many people know about Bond to begin with? TPC offers a wide selection of fragrances, and people who are on their site looking for things to sample, may very well be intrigued by a Bond and subsequently sample and eventually purchase a FB. If Bond is counting on word-of-mouth marketing from the relatively small market that know about them, I'm sure they could survive, but how could they possibly have a problem with a third-party that is giving them more exposure than they can do by themselves? I really, as has been stated previously, think it's a very bully-ish thing to do, but it doesn't really seem to make much business sense either.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 2nd May 2010 at 05:03 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  54. #114

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    creed is around 80%
    Just curious, but where does that number come from?

  55. #115

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    Just curious, but where does that number come from?
    ny fragrance blog stated that in a vid of his

  56. #116

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    creed is around 80% (natural)
    lol.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 2nd May 2010 at 10:54 PM.
    Sales thread here

  57. #117

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    lol.
    thank you sir for making it more specific. Dickhead!! lol Only joking , i picked it up from this video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GfdG...eature=related
    Last edited by DavidBond007; 2nd May 2010 at 11:30 PM.

  58. #118

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    I wonder if, when calculating the % of "naturals", most houses count synthetically derived molecules that occur in nature, to be "natural."

    You could create a wildly unnatural jasmine using strange proportions of naturally occurring (but synthetically derived) molecules, and it would smell nothing like any real jasmine, and yet - if you didn't mind stretching the truth and being a bit misleading - say that it's "all natural."

    If that's the case, then the only truly synthetic portions of a fragrance would be the molecules that are not found in any living organism.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 2nd May 2010 at 11:34 PM.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  59. #119

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I wonder if, when calculating the % of "naturals", most houses count synthetically derived molecules that occur in nature, to be "natural."

    You could create a wildly unnatural jasmine using strange proportions of naturally occurring (but synthetically derived) molecules, and it would smell nothing like any real jasmine, and yet - if you didn't mind stretching the truth and being a bit misleading - say that it's "all natural."

    If that's the case, then the only truly synthetic portions of a fragrance would be the molecules that are not found in any living organism.
    creed supposedly gets the vast majority of their stuff through natural sources, some is synthetic of course to ship it here.

  60. #120

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Very odd move by Bond...TPC is giving them business by selling decants. Weird that this is coming from a company who created Chez Bond and Hamptons. It's a tough economy, though - People are on edge.

Similar Threads

  1. Who sells decants? besides perfumedcourt
    By Speed00kills in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13th May 2009, 06:55 AM
  2. some perfumedcourt decants more expensive than retail
    By smellyliquid in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th September 2007, 06:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •