Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 218
  1. #61

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Perhaps the estate of Ian Fleming should tweet them about ceasing to use the name Bond.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    .......
    Last edited by MikeNY; 4th September 2011 at 01:25 AM.

  3. #63

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    In the end, money will talk. Consumers will take their business elsewhere. Since perfumes are not like food but a luxury, and we are mostly buyers of fine scents (i.e not cheap), they stand to lose money...big time. The power of the customer is a force to be reckoned with.

    Time for our resident perfume bloggers to get busy with this news.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th April 2010 at 08:49 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    3,441

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    I've only bought one Bond No 9 fragrance and that was New Haarlem that I got discounted. I'm selling that bottle and will make sure I never buy another one of their fragrances. They aren't good, are overpriced, and their tactics suck.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

  5. #65

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    Stupid move ,what are they afraid of ? Maybe someone will buy a decant ,fall in love and buy whole bottles. I think all perfume houses would do themselves a favour selling 10ml bottles and sample sets.
    Niche perfumer Ineke sells a set of nicely presented samples for $25 and then a $25 coupon off your next full-bottle purchase. Now that is good business sense. You can't lose.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th April 2010 at 09:09 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

  6. #66

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    If I were a representative of theperfumedcourt, I'd respond to the tweet by saying "remove the Bond No 9 decants? Gladly. No one buys them anyway."

  7. #67

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY911 View Post
    Bond keeps taking down any Facebook posts that express disdain toward their recent actions. They also removed the link to this page.
    "If you want a vision of the future, imagine Laurice Rahme stamping on a human face - forever."

  8. #68

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    If I were a representative of theperfumedcourt, I'd respond to the tweet by saying "remove the Bond No 9 decants? Gladly. No one buys them anyway."
    Indeed. They are a good house don't get me wrong, but waaaaaay overpriced. I bet TPC keeps them in business with their buys.

  9. #69
    mtgprox05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,255

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    NOOOOOOOO!!!! How could TPC give in to Bond!? Ugh, I'm pissed now. This is clearly a case of a spoiled, entitled brat abusing their power.

    Edit: And thus, you see, the problem with posting as you read a post. The very next one addresses it. D'oh!
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 30th April 2010 at 10:21 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  10. #70
    mtgprox05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,255

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    What does buying a decant have to do with purchasing non-faked fragrances? Decants allow you to test the fragrance out before you shell out the money to purchase a full retail bottle. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of faked decants, and as such, it sounds to me as if you're comparing apples with oranges. Certainly, no one is accusing PerfumedCourt of selling fake juice.
    Agreed. Not to mention TPC, are well-known, ex-Basenoters (I believe they used to be contributing members of the boards, before combining together to start TPC), and are true fragrance fans. You have nothing to worry about with buying from TPC.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  11. #71

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    For real? They delivered an actual legal threat via twit? Sounds highly suspect to me. I don't believe it.

    Bond merchandise: still looking for a home run from them. I own Riverside Drive - OK stuff, not great.

    New Haarlem: when I sampled it, I could only think "smells like I dumped a Starbucks mocha on me." Shame, too. Sounded like something I'd really like. I like Rochas Man, which is kinda similar.

  12. #72

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    I am reminded of a fiction/novel writer who legally went after all the fan fiction writers who wrote about the characters. A hugely successful book franchise not unlike the teen vampire books out these days.

    Bad for business. These teen fans were only acting out their passion for the writer's work and characters. Stamping out the fan fiction put an end to their enthusiasm. Results: lower book sales.

    Novelists, like perfume companies, should be gracious to the customers with generous samples and complimentary little gifts. This generates business and FUTURE business. You don't alienate customers who buy luxury goods with spare income to spend. We are their life-blood--the perfume fans who will buy scent time and time again.

    Sampling is part of the buying process. If my niece shares a few spray samples of what she has, I might become enamoured and buy a full bottle. Today, I just gave away a bottle of scented lotion to my niece because she liked the scent. Is someone going to legislate how I can dispose of my lotion purchase: give it to a relative, swap or sell it, or dump it down the sink?

    Again, I will not explore the Bond No. 9 house after this, no matter how pretty their bottles might be. There are tons of pretty bottles out there. I would rather give Guerlain my business. I love their bee bottles!

    Another poster put it perfectly: shooting themselves in the foot. I'd say stabbing the goose who lays golden eggs.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th April 2010 at 10:58 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

  13. #73
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/1zgdDl
    Posts
    3,869

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I am reminded of a fiction/novel writer who legally went after all the fan fiction writers who wrote about the characters. A hugely successful book franchise not unlike the teen vampire books out these days.

    Bad for business. These teen fans were only acting out their passion for the writer's work and characters. Stamping out the fan fiction put an end to their enthusiasm. Results: lower book sales...
    Business Administration 101: there is no way campanies can make a profit from delivering value to their customers and its community unless they build social value first.

    In plain English, if your business' sole purpose is making money, and you don't care about anything else, chances are you will (sooner or later) end up banckrupt. If, on the other hand, as a businessman you care about your customers for the relationships established with them and with your community due to potential and actual social impact your business has on that community, your company will be:

    1. Well regarded;
    2. Considered as a valid supplier
    3. The object of increasing sales

    This meaning better revenues.

    OK, let's face the true: this does not always work. Im am thinking of monstrous multinationals with worldwide distribution capabilities selling goods for amazingly low prices.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Good point. I will go many miles/kilometres out of my way to get the products I want and the service I insist on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Business Administration 101: there is no way campanies can make a profit from delivering value to their customers and its community unless they build social value first.

    In plain English, if your business' sole purpose is making money, and you don't care about anything else, chances are you will (sooner or later) end up banckrupt. If, on the other hand, as a businessman you care about your customers for the relationships established with them and with your community due to potential and actual social impact your business has on that community, your company will be:

    1. Well regarded;
    2. Considered as a valid supplier
    3. The object of increasing sales

    This meaning better revenues.

    OK, let's face the true: this does not always work. Im am thinking of monstrous multinationals with worldwide distribution capabilities selling goods for amazingly low prices.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

  15. #75
    NillaGoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    329

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    This is a more recent one in a similar vein (http://openjurist.org/263/f3d/1297/d...hillipe-l-dray) Basically, if you repackage and a sell a product under its trademarked name you are in the clear as long as you avoid a). misleading labeling that confuses consumers b). destroying/modifying the product and still claiming it as the brand name product.
    Strong work, Zizanioides! Thanks for these citations.

    This second one doesn't seem to be getting much discussion, but I really think it's worth reading. Here's my summary (but be aware that I'm not a lawyer):

    PLD corporation imported gray-market but legitimate bottles of Cool Water and other Davidoff fragrances. They etched the bottles to remove the lot codes embedded in the glass and then sold the bottles in the U.S. as Davidoff fragrances. Davidoff petitioned the court for a preliminary injunction, a ruling requiring PLD to stop the sales immediately while the case was litigated.

    The lower court agreed with Davidoff that etching constituted "material alteration" of the perfumes and that the sales of the etched perfumes were therefore likely in violation of Davidoff's trademarks. It granted the injunction. PLD appealed, and the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals reviewed the case. The appeals court's ruling is the document cited by Zizanioides, and in it the appeals court upheld the preliminary injunction against PLD.

    It seems pretty clear from this that selling decants is a material alteration of trademarked goods. If you can't etch or modify the original bottle, you certainly can't do away with it entirely and sell only the juice.

    On the other hand, the decant sellers aren't claiming to sell "a bottle of Cool Water"; they're claiming to sell "4ml of fragrance removed from an original bottle of Cool Water and stored in a small vial from an independent supplier", which could be an important legal distinction.

  16. #76
    KMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,329

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    I'm not a lawyer, but my question would be if Bond sells samples of their scents (which I assume they do), would TPC be in the wrong because in a way Bond would be competing against themselves, and their sample sales would be hurt by the sales of Bond samples by TPC...

  17. #77

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  18. #78

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    I saw a post up there earlier saying something to the effect of "no! tpc has caved and is, in fact, not carrying Bond 9 anymore!" They said this because when, on tpc website, if you click on Bond No 9 no fragrances appear. Not sure why that is, but if you simply type in the name of the Bn9 fragrance you're looking for they do, in fact, appear and are available. Why anyone would want to purchase these after these shenanigans I don't know, but if one were to still desire them, they are still there for purchase.

  19. #79

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    That's it. I'm putting my bottle of Gramercy Park on the sale board. (UPDATE: It's now on there if anyone wants to buy it.)

    Love the scent, hate the shenanigans.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 1st May 2010 at 01:12 AM.
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela

    Support Xscentrik - The World's First Crowdfunded Fragrance Store: http://igg.me/at/xscentrik/x/11176018

  20. #80

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Perhaps the estate of Ian Fleming should tweet them about ceasing to use the name Bond.
    co sign

  21. #81

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I agree. Bond No. 9 is one house I have not explored...and now will not explore.
    What he said... even though Perfumed Court cheated me on my last order and didn't give me a piece of candy with my order.
    Last edited by Handsome Toad; 1st May 2010 at 01:19 AM.

  22. #82
    mtgprox05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,255

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, but my question would be if Bond sells samples of their scents (which I assume they do), would TPC be in the wrong because in a way Bond would be competing against themselves, and their sample sales would be hurt by the sales of Bond samples by TPC...
    But TPC isn't getting these fragrances for free. That's the thing that I don't get, TPC is buying legitimate bottles from authorized dealers (they mention this somewhere on their site, how fragrances are generally bought from Bergdorf, NM, Saks, etc.) Bond is getting sales from TPC, and not at a discount I'd presume, considering the large markup. The whole situation stinks, and Bond exemplifies incredibly poor business strategy. Look at the opposite, Andy Tauer, is consistently lauded for his kind demeanor and general generosity. He most likely has created lifetime fans and clientele, simply by being a human being.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  23. #83

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Beverly Hills, California
    Posts
    1,523

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    The company has a history of bullying which has made me vow never to test, review or even mention them anywhere. It's lucky that I only vaguely cared for one or two of them, making this boycott very easy indeed.

  24. #84

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    I'd really like to see some of the Youtubing BNers make a video about this, or at least mention it in a review, and help spread the word about Bond and their ridiculous behavior.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  25. #85

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    What he said... even though Perfumed Court cheated me on my last order and didn't give me a piece of candy with my order.
    I believe that Primrose is a she....

    Either way, the only upside to the Bond No. 9 announcement, is that it will make their fragrances a little more "exclusive."

  26. #86

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    What does buying a decant have to do with purchasing non-faked fragrances? Decants allow you to test the fragrance out before you shell out the money to purchase a full retail bottle. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of faked decants, and as such, it sounds to me as if you're comparing apples with oranges. Certainly, no one is accusing PerfumedCourt of selling fake juice.
    When one purchases a decant, how do they know what they have purchased? Can they be sure the correct product was sent? It's one thing to have a friend give You a decant.....I read so many times about those who order a scent and the order is wrong.....and there are times that it takes much longer for the order to make its destination.....I read about broken bottles and bottles that are not full.....I read about juice that does not smell right.....
    I am making no accusations.....I do not like the idea of buying a decant.....That's me!!!
    Gary

  27. #87

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Doh! For some reason I never realized you are the mind behind that blog. Excellent work, sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    Strong work, Zizanioides! Thanks for these citations.

    This second one doesn't seem to be getting much discussion, but I really think it's worth reading. Here's my summary (but be aware that I'm not a lawyer):

    PLD corporation imported gray-market but legitimate bottles of Cool Water and other Davidoff fragrances. They etched the bottles to remove the lot codes embedded in the glass and then sold the bottles in the U.S. as Davidoff fragrances. Davidoff petitioned the court for a preliminary injunction, a ruling requiring PLD to stop the sales immediately while the case was litigated.

    The lower court agreed with Davidoff that etching constituted "material alteration" of the perfumes and that the sales of the etched perfumes were therefore likely in violation of Davidoff's trademarks. It granted the injunction. PLD appealed, and the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals reviewed the case. The appeals court's ruling is the document cited by Zizanioides, and in it the appeals court upheld the preliminary injunction against PLD.

    It seems pretty clear from this that selling decants is a material alteration of trademarked goods. If you can't etch or modify the original bottle, you certainly can't do away with it entirely and sell only the juice.

    On the other hand, the decant sellers aren't claiming to sell "a bottle of Cool Water"; they're claiming to sell "4ml of fragrance removed from an original bottle of Cool Water and stored in a small vial from an independent supplier", which could be an important legal distinction.
    Thanks! I like looking at the legal decisions that shape our little corner of industry. I think I was dropped on my head as a child =/

    I think your last paragraph is correct; selling samples is fine if the customer is aware that they aren't buying the packaged good as shipped from the manufacturer but a smaller unit sans trade dress. The Davidoff case clarifies what constitutes a tampering/marring of the goods and expands the old idea that you can't change a product and then market it as unchanged. If TPC were selling false Bond goods or diluting them then Bond would have a pretty clear trademark infringement claim but I can't find anything to suggest that their business-as-usual is in the trademark wrong.

    In my authority as "Some Guy on the Internet" I declare Bond to be in the wrong, barring any revelations about TPC.
    Last edited by Zizanioides; 1st May 2010 at 02:18 AM.

  28. #88

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    When one purchases a decant, how do they know what they have purchased? Can they be sure the correct product was sent?
    In the case of The Perfumed Court, you know because it's The Perfumed Court. They have a very good reputation. That's not to say that you're required to buy decants, of course. But they are at the "fully trusted" level in my personal hierarchy of perfume sellers.

  29. #89

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Today, I received my brochure mailer from Saks featuring perfume and jewellery gift ideas for Mother's Day. Saks is launching an exclusive Bond No. 9 scent called Saks-En-Rose: a rose scent with dry dates, lantana leaves, mace, with a rose heart orris and tuberose. I sampled the tester strip and it is indeed a nice rose scent. (I adore YSL Paris and Stella McCartney...) The FB sells for $215 for 3.4 oz.

    Will I buy this? NO. I would much rather spend money (for the price) on something By Killian. Companies with customers willing to pay premium for niche are fastidious in their demands for quality and service and will happily walk their money to another vendor. Customers like us are REPEAT CUSTOMERS who will buy year after year. I hear a full bottle of Ineke calling...or another Guerlain...I can tell family member right now to think about a gift for me...and it will not be from Bond No. 9.

    We have taken our money elsewhere in search of cruelty-free toiletries, for instance. (Jack Black shaving products are cruelty-free.)

    Silly business move, very silly...
    Last edited by Primrose; 2nd May 2010 at 03:09 AM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

  30. #90

    Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

    Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I am not going to address the legal questions here.....and I will not speak bad of Bond No.9.....I will say that I will not purchase a decant of any fragrance from any House.....Not One!!!!! I will only purchase Fragrance from an authorized representative.....I want the real thing.....I see so many threads about fake scents.....I cannot afford to take chances with fakes.....I want to know and be sure that I have purchased the real thing!!!
    Gary

    I understand your trepidation against buying decants from potentially unscrupulous sellers... however, TPC (or for that matter any established member of basenotes) has a great reputation and I can definitely see buying decants as several-days'-worth samples or "wow this is vintage and I gotta smell it!" ...

    And I'm guessing that most folks who sell decants are bona-fide enthusiasts that want to spread the love, but can't do so without depleting their precious FBs... or buy vintage FBs and THEN want to share the love, and pay for more FBs. (but I could be wrong.!)
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Similar Threads

  1. Who sells decants? besides perfumedcourt
    By Speed00kills in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13th May 2009, 06:55 AM
  2. some perfumedcourt decants more expensive than retail
    By smellyliquid in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th September 2007, 06:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000