Code of Conduct

Thread: Advice Please!

Question Advice Please!

Hi everybody,

This is my first posting and first finding of such a forum! Happy New Year to all.

My five most-favourite fragrances are: Marc Jacobs For Men; Gucci Pour Homme II; YSL Body Kouros; Dunhill Edition; Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce... and YSL Pour Homme (- I know that's a total of six now!).

I also like these five 'more common' ones: Polo Sport; Clinique Happy; Estée Lauder Pleasures; Armani A-d-G; Dior Fahrenheit;
    (all obviously the men's versions!)

Please can you advise me of the following?:
    1) What common notes or themes these fragrances share - please generalize if necessary;
    2) What you can recommend for me as my next buy;

Many thanks guys!

DeepSilence

Default Re: Advice Please!

First: Welcome to the Basenotes
    Second: Don't look for common notes, this case confuses you without good results, many fragrances use Citrus(Bergamot, Mandarin Orange, Lime,...), Vetyver, Lavander,... in their structure. Instead, look for differences and intensity points. For example Dunhill Edition is an Aromatic Fougere, So Lavander should be one of the dominant notes. Clinique Happy is Citrus, and many fragrances have citrus, But in Happy it's dominant.

In my opinion, You will like Opium Pour Homme, Must De Cartier, Rochas Man, Burberry London.

Welcome to Basenotes Niro, you have got great taste

I agree
    Consider adding Burberry London or John Varvatos Vintage to round out your wardrobe nicely

Post Thanks / Like

Marc Jacobs For Men Philosykos by Diptyque
    Gucci Pour Homme II The Beat by Burberry, Allure Homme by Chanel
    YSL Body Kouros quite unique- maybe Play Intense by Givenchy
    Dunhill Edition nothing like it, but you could try Ikon by Zirh, Envy for Men by Gucci, Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce Platinum Egoiste by Chanel
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes. I know you will get a lot of answers to your questions here. I'd also recommend that you find the forum here called "Just starting out."

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSilence View Post
    First: Welcome to the Basenotes
    Second: Don't look for common notes, this case confuses you without good results, many fragrances use Citrus(Bergamot, Mandarin Orange, Lime,...), Vetyver, Lavander,... in their structure. Instead, look for differences and intensity points. For example Dunhill Edition is an Aromatic Fougere, So Lavander should be one of the dominant notes. Clinique Happy is Citrus, and many fragrances have citrus, But in Happy it's dominant.

In my opinion, You will like Opium Pour Homme, Must De Cartier, Rochas Man, Burberry London.
    Thanks for replying
    Yes, I had YSL Opium Pour Homme and Rochas Man. Not too sure about the Cartier scents, and shall try Burberry London.

Randomly bought Ed Hardy's original today!

Hi Riley. DeepSilence (last post) also suggested Burberry London, so I must give that a go. Have not sampled J.V. Vintage yet, so shall look for that one. Thanks for your advice :-)

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Marc Jacobs For Men Philosykos by Diptyque
    Gucci Pour Homme II The Beat by Burberry, Allure Homme by Chanel
    YSL Body Kouros quite unique- maybe Play Intense by Givenchy
    Dunhill Edition nothing like it, but you could try Ikon by Zirh, Envy for Men by Gucci, Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce Platinum Egoiste by Chanel
    Many thanks for your input Morrison 74 - especially like the way you've shortlisted analogous fragrances. My thoughts (in the same order) are as follows:
    1) Have never heard of Diptyque! Gotta keep my eyes peeled for it
    2) Have had the Allure Homme
    3) I think you're right
    4) Am not that familiar with the legendary Creed scents, and certainly don't know this one
    5) Have had this one; don't think it's that similar though!

Creed fragrances are defo on my hitlist, but I shall hunt for the Greek-sounding 'Philosykos' too.

Greetings 'mrclmind'! You look like a veteran with all those posts. Thanks for the advice :-)

Hi guys,

Out of the following Creed scents, judging from my original post, is there one that you'd recommend?:

Silver Mountain Water;
    Himalaya;
    Millésime Impérial;
    Feuille Verte;
    Acier Aluminium;
    and Bois du Portugal (as recommended by Morrison74)

Thanks.