Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Bond No. 9 demanding PerfumedCourt stop selling decants

I personally feel that it's shoddy to sell "free" samples, whether you are an employee or a customer. It's just greedy (and problematic in other ways if you're an employee). Otoh, I think that you should be able to sell samples if you have them, without being hounded by big companies.

(Vintage samples and minis are fine to buy and sell IMO, they're off the mainstream market anyway and have become collectibles.)

Unalienable Property Rights

When a trade is made for something both parties agree upon as fair, usually money or another item (barter), then those items become under the buyer's control -- their property. The buyer "gave up" their money in exchange for the good. The seller gained the buyer's money in this implied contractual agreement and "gave up" their right to their product/property. The rights of the perfumer over their product end when they accept the money from the buyer.

Bullying a decanter; telling them what to do with THE DECANTER'S property is just as horrible and ridiculous as the decanter telling the perfumer what to do with THE PERFUMER'S money!

STOP THE INSANITY! Support absolute property rights, absolutely!
    Last edited by Sensual; 13th June 2010 at 07:56 PM.

Well, now I understand why their decants are not more available at theperfumedcourt or some other online stores. What a pity and shame for Bond no. 9. And I am starting to hate Bond no. 9. Not only that, I will never purchase anything from Bond no. 9.

Thank you, Bond no. 9 for saving my money on your products and spending on some other and better niche fragrances.

Sincerely,
    Sorella

P.S. I bought a bottle of Chinatown because I sampled it at theperfumedcourt, and I couldn't buy a sample at Bond's online store (I tried, but they didn't allow me). So, I am not so foolish to spend $150 on a bottle I didn't try.
    Last edited by Mondamin; 3rd August 2010 at 08:31 PM.

I am new to the site, and only joined because I saw this thread yesterday. I am happy to have found this site, as I am alone in my group of friends and my love of smelly stuff.

Anyways, I had watched some youtube video reviews on some of the Bond No.9 Fragrances. I was/am thinking about buying a couple of bottles. Naturally, I saw the news of the twitter incident and went directly to the PC website to see if I could buy a small 2.5/5 ml spray sample.

Obviously, I could not. In turn, I went to bonds website and am also unable to purchase samples there. As so many people have stated, who would buy such expensive fragrances, with such little market share, and mixed reviews at such a high price without some sort of sampling opportunity? Given there is a Saks about 10 minutes from my house, but Id rather pay for 2-3 samples online than be pressure sold at the counter- and well, I guess i'm pretty lazy too.

I have never worn a bond frag, however I have watched and read lots of user reviews. I find it somewhat ironic that so many people have mentioned bond frags as being creed rip offs. If this is true.......Bond is essentially stealing creeds ideas, then threatening any companies that try's to resell their product, which was "stolen" to begin with. I got a chuckle from that.

I find the whole thing a bit sophomoric. If I could have gotten the samples, and subsequently enjoyed them, I would have purchased at least 2 bottles. Instead, I read into bonds shennigans as having a complete lack of faith in their products to not openly offer samples to an internet based consumer to begin with. Are they relying on blind buys? Maybe its crap, i don't know.

If someone from bond ever reads this think about the math.

I Buy:

1 - 5ml sample of Fire Island from PC
    1 - 5ml sample of bleaker from PC

assuming i like the samples....

I buy
    1 - 100 ml bottle of fire island
    1 - 100 ml bottle of bleaker

That means you would have had to sell 4 bottles in some way shape or form vs 2. (Given the ones from PC are partial). Who cares they are making money off your product. Listen to your audience, obviously consumers are willing to pay for smaller quantities. Scale down the quantity, and nix the fancy foil to make an extra buck.

C'mon Man.....

Try emailing Bond. You should be able to buy 6 official samples from them for $15. Online it says you can only purchase the samples if you are ordering something else, but if you email them I believe you can get just the samples.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Make room for me on the Bond Hatewagon!

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

You can buy Bond 9 samples from www.fragrancevials.com for $2.50 each. Use coupon code Mick15 for extra 15% off =] I also got 12 samples from the official Bond 9 website for $15, they actually gave me 6 extra O.O (but this was with a 100ML purchase).

Here's an excerpt from an email that I recently received from them:

You can purchase 6 samples for $15, by calling 1.877.273.3369.

I'm not a lawyer. But I really can't understand the legal situation here. If I sell my car, can I list it in the paper as a Mercedes Benz without Mercedes suing me? If I'm wearing a Bond No. 9 scent (which I never have), am I allowed to answer the question, "What is that scent you're wearing?" without getting sued?

TPC buys a bottle of perfume from an authorized channel; they are now the owner of that bottle and its contents. (Bond No. 9 is not, as I understand it, accusing TPC of trafficking in either counterfeit or stolen goods.) TPC now wants to exercise its legal right as the owner of this piece of property to resell it. They make no secret about the fact that they are not an authorized retailer. They're really not trying to -- or actually -- competing with Bond No. 9's authorized retailers. I can not understand how this is a trademark infringement.

As I (not a lawyer) understand it, a copyright infringement has to create confusion in the market. If I was to start a new perfume company and call it Bond Nr. 9, that would create confusion in the market and so that would be a trademark infringement. On the other hand, if I decided to start a real estate agency and call it Bond Number Nine Realty of Portland, Oregon, that would not be confusion in the market because while the names are remarkably similar, we would be in different markets and the words Nine, Bond, and Number are all common English words. (If I tried to name my hypothetical real estate agency called Xerox Realty, that would be a problem because Xerox is a made-up, non-sense word and, therefore, they have much broader protection. Consider, for example, the fact that there are some 1300 businesses in America with exactly or closely the name Yellow Cab Company; the name has become so prolific that it can be trademarked only within a very-well-geographically-defined market.) TPC and Bond No. 9 are in the same market, yes. But TPC creates no confusion in the market at all. In fact, they go out of their way to clarify the exact nature of their operation.

I just don't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by remixx View Post
    You can buy Bond 9 samples from www.fragrancevials.com for $2.50 each. Use coupon code Mick15 for extra 15% off =] I also got 12 samples from the official Bond 9 website for $15, they actually gave me 6 extra O.O (but this was with a 100ML purchase).
    Not exactly. They'll list like 10 different Bond's but only 2 will actually be in stock.

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

I just bought Serge Lutens and don't mind spending to buy scents I like.

And I will never, ever, EVER buy Bond No. 9 for this reason. (After all, can you see Guerlain going after PC, or Caron? They are proud of the product, and if someone wants to buy a sample, it only helps their business. Buy a PC sample of Derby? Result: spend $230 dollars on a bottle.)

Thank you for bumping this thread.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    Not exactly. They'll list like 10 different Bond's but only 2 will actually be in stock.
    Dont know about now, but I bought over 10 Bond 9 samples from them. I think they got more popular and people bought them all

When i was in their NYC store, the SA gave me about a dozen samples to try out. When i came back and purchased New Haarlem, she gave me 27 more samples. They certainly are not stingy in person. I was on the hate wagon too for a while, but I'm coming around.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    When i was in their NYC store, the SA gave me about a dozen samples to try out. When i came back and purchased New Haarlem, she gave me 27 more samples. They certainly are not stingy in person. I was on the hate wagon too for a while, but I'm coming around.
    You may be turned around, but I am not. Bond even went after a small, private artisanal perfume maker or using the name "peace" or something similar. It was preposterous.

Can the estate of Ian Fleming sue for using the name "Bond," on the the novelist's characters.

Any company will give you lots of samples WITH purchase. Even Sephora will send you out the door with a purchase with a handful. Guerlain will even comp good customers with discounts, minis and even free bottles of scent (of lesser price, of course) with a fine scent luxury purchase.

What we are talking about here is Bond No. 9 going after PC for selling samples.

Again, do we see the likes of Guerlain or Caron going after PC for selling samples? They are too big to really care, and they realise a PC sale might end up with a full bottle purchase.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyDude View Post
    I am new to the site, and only joined because I saw this thread yesterday. I am happy to have found this site, as I am alone in my group of friends and my love of smelly stuff.

Anyways, I had watched some youtube video reviews on some of the Bond No.9 Fragrances. I was/am thinking about buying a couple of bottles. Naturally, I saw the news of the twitter incident and went directly to the PC website to see if I could buy a small 2.5/5 ml spray sample.

Obviously, I could not. In turn, I went to bonds website and am also unable to purchase samples there. As so many people have stated, who would buy such expensive fragrances, with such little market share, and mixed reviews at such a high price without some sort of sampling opportunity? Given there is a Saks about 10 minutes from my house, but Id rather pay for 2-3 samples online than be pressure sold at the counter- and well, I guess i'm pretty lazy too.

I have never worn a bond frag, however I have watched and read lots of user reviews. I find it somewhat ironic that so many people have mentioned bond frags as being creed rip offs. If this is true.......Bond is essentially stealing creeds ideas, then threatening any companies that try's to resell their product, which was "stolen" to begin with. I got a chuckle from that.

I find the whole thing a bit sophomoric. If I could have gotten the samples, and subsequently enjoyed them, I would have purchased at least 2 bottles. Instead, I read into bonds shennigans as having a complete lack of faith in their products to not openly offer samples to an internet based consumer to begin with. Are they relying on blind buys? Maybe its crap, i don't know.

If someone from bond ever reads this think about the math.

I Buy:

1 - 5ml sample of Fire Island from PC
    1 - 5ml sample of bleaker from PC

assuming i like the samples....

I buy
    1 - 100 ml bottle of fire island
    1 - 100 ml bottle of bleaker

That means you would have had to sell 4 bottles in some way shape or form vs 2. (Given the ones from PC are partial). Who cares they are making money off your product. Listen to your audience, obviously consumers are willing to pay for smaller quantities. Scale down the quantity, and nix the fancy foil to make an extra buck.

C'mon Man.....
    For my part I say you're exactly right. I think it is a totally foolish move, that of a fool, to do as the company has.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    You may be turned around, but I am not. Bond even went after a small, private artisanal perfume maker or using the name "peace" or something similar. It was preposterous.

Can the estate of Ian Fleming sue for using the name "Bond," on the the novelist's characters.

Any company will give you lots of samples WITH purchase. Even Sephora will send you out the door with a purchase with a handful. Guerlain will even comp good customers with discounts, minis and even free bottles of scent (of lesser price, of course) with a fine scent luxury purchase.

What we are talking about here is Bond No. 9 going after PC for selling samples.

Again, do we see the likes of Guerlain or Caron going after PC for selling samples? They are too big to really care, and they realise a PC sale might end up with a full bottle purchase.
    Lol Primrose, I have over 10 Bond Fragrances :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post

I agree and I do not like Bond's practices at all. It's a shame I LOVE their oud scent, Harrods Ltd Edition, so much because I don't want to support a company that partakes in such practices. That one scent, however, is truly amazing and competes with the best of SL, Amouage, etc. and this is one time where I'm having a hard time acting on principle rather than desire. Well, actually, I guess I'm not acting at all at the moment as I surely don't have the $330 to plunk down on the scent.. but if I did..
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

This is making me think twice about buying any of Bonds fragrances. Some people don't want to fork up $45 for a 7ml sample from their site, which is a rip-off IMO. This pisses me off.

What an insecure bitch!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Wow, you guys and girls are on top of it. Thanks for the leads, I will do something today. Hope they turn out to be worth all the work involved!

Thanks for reviving this thread and for reminding everyone. After what happened with TPC and other independant perfumers a few months ago (threats because they used one of the same words in a title--not even the same title--which led to the discontinuation of the scent!), I made a decision to stay away from their products (and related threads on Basenotes).
    Just recently, I got a little worried since a "venerable" member started reviewing and telling others how great H.O.T. Always is. Everyone got soooo excited on that thread.
    I know it comes down to each individual and his/her own personal choices. This is how I feel. I don't wish to support them.

Quote Originally Posted by remixx View Post
    See that's the bizarre thing. If you go to a Saks they practically throw those bon bon samples at you, like they're garbage or something. It just goes to show, that they have a very poor business model in place. As a future accountant, I must agree with the idea brought up by SmellyDude. Ditch the fancy foil wrapping, make those 2-3ml samples smaller and add a spray attachment. Then offer an easy and affordable option for consumers to purchase samples. The math above makes a lot of sense, and I believe was brought up earlier in this thread, but it does seem quite odd at Bond's apprehension towards a small company like TPC selling their frags. Those bottles are being bought at full retail price and if anything are leading to at least a small percentage of samples turning into full bottles. It feels very immature, brutish, and makes little if any real financial sense.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Gollnick View Post

TPC buys a bottle of perfume from an authorized channel; they are now the owner of that bottle and its contents. (Bond No. 9 is not, as I understand it, accusing TPC of trafficking in either counterfeit or stolen goods.) TPC now wants to exercise its legal right as the owner of this piece of property to resell it. They make no secret about the fact that they are not an authorized retailer. They're really not trying to -- or actually -- competing with Bond No. 9's authorized retailers. I can not understand how this is a trademark infringement.
    Good point. It's not as if these are travel sized (like those little bottles of mouth wash or deodorant) items, that specifically state not for resale on the packaging. I, too, am not a lawyer, but what legal right does Bond maintain over their goods which have now had a transfer of ownership?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    See that's the bizarre thing. If you go to a Saks they practically throw those bon bon samples at you, like they're garbage or something. It just goes to show, that they have a very poor business model in place. As a future accountant, I must agree with the idea brought up by SmellyDude. Ditch the fancy foil wrapping, make those 2-3ml samples smaller and add a spray attachment. Then offer an easy and affordable option for consumers to purchase samples. The math above makes a lot of sense, and I believe was brought up earlier in this thread, but it does seem quite odd at Bond's apprehension towards a small company like TPC selling their frags. Those bottles are being bought at full retail price and if anything are leading to at least a small percentage of samples turning into full bottles. It feels very immature, brutish, and makes little if any real financial sense.
    That would make a prestige product easily obtainable by the masses. Is that a good strategy for marketing an aspirational luxury product?

Have a bit of Rolex for $100? Even if you're sacrificing sales you don't want to butcher your image...

Not saying I agree with Bond for pressuring TPC... It was silly.
    Last edited by jathanas; 5th January 2011 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    That would make a prestige product easily obtainable by the masses. Is that a good strategy for marketing an aspirational luxury product?

Have a bit of Rolex for $100? Even if you're sacrificing sales you don't want to butcher your image...

Not saying I agree with Bond for pressuring TPC... It was silly.
    True, there is something to be said for maintaining a level of exclusivity, but something needs to budge. There is a fine line between alienating and upsetting potential clientele and upholding an image of luxury. IMO, Bond is not toeing that line very well.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    True, there is something to be said for maintaining a level of exclusivity, but something needs to budge. There is a fine line between alienating and upsetting potential clientele and upholding an image of luxury. IMO, Bond is not toeing that line very well.
    Agree 100%.

The inability of some organisations to create and sustain a positive public image never ceases to amaze me Trust me, Bond No. 9 are hardly Robinson Crusoe in this.

All I know is that New Haarlem rocks!!!!!
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumire Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I was never impressed with this house. Generally too pricey and, unless I have been totally out of it, they offer nothing so unique or outstanding that hasn't been done before, in form, and economically at that.

Who's got money to pay a lawyer for a long protracted battle? Hell, even if it's short it'll still prove costly. Why bother? I certainly don't want to see my decants of vintage Derby or wutnot go up because TPC decides to fight THIS.

Perhaps TPC should market what it has left from this house as 'Dr. NO' and come up with quirky names such as 'C.O.L.D. never'. It would be a little game for those of us here, in the know and haven't declared a boycott, to speculate as to the match ups.

Bond needs TPC much more than TPC needs Bond, but is simply too ignorant to see it that way. So be it.

I demand that Bond No 9 stop selling overpriced, mediocre fragrances.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

More misses than hits for me personally , but they do have some proper winners to be fair

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Apparently Bond is trying with the one hand to increase market share and simultaneously trying to decrease it with the other.

A strange and somwhat schizophrenic dichotomy at best.

..and yes, their representatives read Threads like this one.
    Last edited by kbe; 7th January 2011 at 06:59 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

This whole issue brings to mind a much broader issue :
    FREE SAMPLES. All of these companies used to be much more liberal when it came to offering the 2ml free samples. Here in europe that has more or less stopped. Now you are only given a few 2ml samples if you buy something substantial. If you just ask for a sample to try out a fragrance, the assistants say they dont have any. If you buy something, they suddenly become available ! It used to be that when you bought something you would be given a small 5ml miniature bottle of another fragrance to try. Now these miniatures cost a small fortune, (in europe between 5 -14).
    It would be a good experiment for basenoters to bombard Bond with emails and telephone calls asking them to send free samples, seeing how it it may no longer be possible to buy samples from TPC.- it would be very interesting to see how they react !!!
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

This thread inspires me to try out all the Bond frags, without paying for any of them at all. And certainly not buying any bottles. I'll find a way. When Metallica sued Napster, I didn't stop listening to Metallica. I just stopped paying for their albums, which I used to buy. I am a harbinger of Backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post

oh do they now?

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    I demand that Bond No 9 stop selling overpriced, mediocre fragrances.
    Not only are they mediocre - they are often rip-offs of other fragrances.....very expensive rip-offs.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Apparently Bond is trying with the one hand to increase market share and simultaneously trying to decrease it with the other.

A strange and somwhat schizophrenic dichotomy at best.

Good

Ok so Silver Factory is one Bond No 9 that I like and find unique. I would have bought a full bottle but I tried it from an unauthorized sample. Bond No 9 won't allow unauthorized samples or decants so I'll have to pretend like I never tried it
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!