Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: New Mauboussin M Generation

Just picked up EDP of Mauboussin femme and the M Generation, these bottles are insane. Thick and heavy almost feel like crystal just a wicked looking bottle for both.

Going to test the juice this afteroon !!
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Quote Originally Posted by Quiptos View Post
    Just picked up EDP of Mauboussin femme and the M Generation, these bottles are insane. Thick and heavy almost feel like crystal just a wicked looking bottle for both.

Hope you like M Generation. I have it and think it's not bad.

Sur la Plage

I hope you like both of them.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

wow talk about Unique scents, kind of reminds me of a few scents when I was stationed in Sicily. M Generation boy I am not sure what all is going on here but I like it and it's crazy different right now. The EDP of femme is gorgeous, not sure if I can pull it off but it's pretty awesome smelling. It's kind of remindimg me of my eau claire de marveille for some reason, but the M wow nothing like this in my wardrobe AT all.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Blog Entries

wow talk about Unique scents, kind of reminds me of a few scents when I was stationed in Sicily. M Generation boy I am not sure what all is going on here but I like it and it's crazy different right now. The EDP of femme is gorgeous, not sure if I can pull it off but it's pretty awesome smelling. It's kind of remindimg me of my eau claire de marveille for some reason, but the M wow nothing like this in my wardrobe AT all.
    Yeah - I'll say one thing - they're not just plain old scents. I don't wear them often, but when I do, they're pretty wicked. Revisited M Generation recently, and enjoyed it.

I went through a week where I wore the women's EDP until I was totally overcome by the sweet fermented fruit thing and just couldn't take it AT ALL. It's tough to pull off even for women - it's just totally out there - smells great, but it's like a decayed fruit vuvuzela.

Hmmm does M-Generation come in EDT concentration?

M Generation keeps coming up when I search for fragrances by the notes I'm looking for. I appreciate the commentary here, especially the extended review from Redneck Perfumisto, because this one still isn't in the BN directory. I've been looking for something wearable but not too run-of-the-mill and the price is very reasonable.

Has anyone else had any experience with Mauboussin M Generation?

I prefer not to blind buy, so I'm hoping the Mauboussin shop in town has testers... if not, I'm very tempted to risk it!

From what I've read, it sounded like Listen for Men by Herb Alpert (beyond the opening), so I didn't think I needed another version of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin E-Ville View Post
    M Generation keeps coming up when I search for fragrances by the notes I'm looking for. I appreciate the commentary here, especially the extended review from Redneck Perfumisto, because this one still isn't in the BN directory. I've been looking for something wearable but not too run-of-the-mill and the price is very reasonable.

Has anyone else had any experience with Mauboussin M Generation?

I prefer not to blind buy, so I'm hoping the Mauboussin shop in town has testers... if not, I'm very tempted to risk it!
    Thanks! I know that Surfacing eventually got a hold of it, and was a bit underwhelmed. Hopefully he'll see this thread again and fill in the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Thanks! I know that Surfacing eventually got a hold of it, and was a bit underwhelmed. Hopefully he'll see this thread again and fill in the details.
    I'll do my best, although I have not sampled this in a few months. I actually accept this a bit more now and have really been hesitant to swap my bottle. There must be a reason and a sharp looking bottle is only novel for a short period of time.

First, I do like the ginger and spice opening. It sounds "foody", but its not. After a bit it dries down and forms a nice light woodsy accord. A dash on incense, a dash of spice....its not bad. I blind bought this and i wanted it to blow my mind.....not sure why because few fragrances ever do. The price is also right on this bottle.

In any event, I think this a pretty good scent and something I really have come around to liking. I don't wear it, but will give it a spin soon. Thanks for the reminder !

I will touch base here after that SotD and follow up with some comments.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    From what I've read, it sounded like Listen for Men by Herb Alpert (beyond the opening), so I didn't think I needed another version of it.

It is highly unlikely that a fragrance from 1991 will smell like one from 2010. Different aromachemicals used, different times....etc. Especially when you compare a 1991 scent that has been discontinued to a fragrance like M Generation which comes across as quite contemporary.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I'll do my best, although I have not sampled this in a few months.

I will touch base here after that SotD and follow up with some comments.
    Thanks for that and I look forward to your follow up comments!

It is highly unlikely that a fragrance from 1991 will smell like one from 2010. Different aromachemicals used, different times....etc. Especially when you compare a 1991 scent that has been discontinued to a fragrance like M Generation which comes across as quite contemporary.
    The wood note that eventually comes out in Listen is very similar to the one in Kyoto (which is there at an earlier time) but before that, there is a similarity to Santos, and judging from another BNer's comments about what M Gen smells like (since I haven't sampled it) that sounds like a "dead ringer" for Listen. Those who read BN for ideas can make of this what they will.

I haven't been able to find any samples of this and, apparently, the only Mauboussin boutiques in Asia are in Singapore and Korea. It is very interesting to note, however, that there is a pdf spreadsheet on their website showing where the fragrances are available in France and it is five pages long. Is this a common fragrance in its home country?

I've been eyeing this on Strawberrynet.com since I first found this thread a while back. On top of their already discounted prices, Strawberrynet are offering an extra 10% off everything on their site until February 2nd. As an added bonus, their warehouse is in Hong Kong, so I get free shipping and an additional 5% off.

I think my girlfriend could be convinced to get this for me for Valentines, if only for the fact that they throw in free lipstick to first time customers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll actually like it!

^ If you are up for a blind buy, I'd say go for it ( as long as you accept that this may just not work out for you). Blind buys are always a gamble, I encourage them, but I never encourage the whining that ensues from alot of guys on here after a blind buy ( OmGZ, WorZT BliDNZ BuYZ eVVVer !!!).

By the way Ronin, I wore this again for a SotD on Sunday and I said I woud get back to you on that.

I still like the smell. I still wish it would radiate better or project. Longevity is good. I also sprayed abit more this time, as the sprayer maybe sprays half the amount of juice ( to me) as other atomizers do. I love the bottle and packaging. I would miss this one if I let it go. At the same time, I don't know how often I would wear it. But I like the smell and how it develops. It gets a bit sweeter with time, but never too sweet.

This is an EDP fragrance and thus, like most EDP's, wears closer to the skin on me. I'm gonna keep it around until spring and try it then. Would I recommend this ? Yes, but only if you are okay with having your fragrance wear more close to the skin. Although keep in mind it could just be me.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

^ If you are up for a blind buy, I'd say go for it ( as long as you accept that this may just not work out for you).

Thanks for getting back to me about this one, Surfacing. I think I am up for a blind buy and I promise I won't bemoan my fate if it doesn't work for me. Luckily, the cost is reasonably low, so the risk isn't too high... I guess I'll just consider it to be a 100 ml "sample."

I'm generally quite open to different scents and have worn things in the past that were given to me as blind gifts: Jazz, Fahrenheit, Azzaro PH, and Burberry London. If it is milder than Santos, less peppery than Bang, and bit like Gentleman flanker of D&G the one For Men (as Redneck Perfumisto suggested) I'll probably like it. The bigger concern is whether or not my girlfriend will like it...

As for the projection, I'm actually OK with it being mild, as long as it has decent longevity. Some of the social circles I run in are not conducive to massive sillage.

Smell-wise, I'm really intrigued because searching for a fragrance by the notes that I'm looking for keeps coming up with Mauboussin M Generation. It basically has everything I'm looking for in a woody-spicy scent and nothing that might concern me. I'm especially curious to smell how the Szechuan pepper/ginger will play out against the rest of the woods and spices...
    Last edited by CMcG; 1st February 2012 at 12:07 AM.

My girlfriend did indeed get me M Generation for Valentines and I love it. Luckily, so does she! It is a voluptuous ball of spicy, incensey, fruity, woody awesomeness and the powers-that-be at Basenotes have now added it to the directory:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26133601.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin E-Ville View Post
    My girlfriend did indeed get me M Generation for Valentines and I love it. Luckily, so does she! It is a voluptuous ball of spicy, incensey, fruity, woody awesomeness and the powers-that-be at Basenotes have now added it to the directory:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26133601.html
    First off...Whew !!! Of course, I am the one who knew this would work all along and had indeed been the one to orchestrate your girlfriend to purchase the bottle ....actually, I am just relieved that I wasn't gonna get lambasted for convincing someone on blind buy. Glad it worked. I knew you were above the whiners who cry about failed blind buys ( after asking Basenoters on what they should buy, which is in itself odd).

Second.....since when did they start adding fragrances into the directory ? But anyways, thanks to the Mods and Admin for doing so. Its nice to see M Generation up.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    The wood note that eventually comes out in Listen is very similar to the one in Kyoto (which is there at an earlier time) but before that, there is a similarity to Santos, and judging from another BNer's comments about what M Gen smells like (since I haven't sampled it) that sounds like a "dead ringer" for Listen. Those who read BN for ideas can make of this what they will.
    Wearing M Generation for the first time today. Nice so far. Listen is much more old school with its use of herbs and florals. I don't smell any relation at all here.

Dependent

Well, my brother got me a bottle of M Generation for my birthday. First off, I really love the bottle. Not only does it look cool and original, it's also highly practical with its twisting shape that fits the hand perfectly, and the twisting sprayer. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that there were two concentrations! I had no idea which I had, but I certainly know now: I had the EdT, and got the EdP as a gift.

I much prefer the EdT unfortunately. The EdP is primarily sweet, rich wood, almost a mahogany-cedar vibe, and has a little more fruity sense, while the EdT, not surprisingly, is more bright, hesperidic and aromatic -- extremely good stuff for the price, and it indeed does smell like the notes in the pyramid. Let's see if I can finagle the EdT out of the retailer.

- - - Updated - - -

Hm, I don't find an EdT anywhere on the web. But I swear my (unmarked) sample differs from the new EdP bottle I got. It's brighter, more aromatic, less woody-sweet and more complex.

Has anyone seen the EdT anywhere at all recently?
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 3rd November 2012 at 10:48 PM.

I have never seen the edt as well. I think there is only an EDP, actually ( I checked the site).

Some places have mentioned that it is available as an edt ( Fragrantica), but I believe they are mistaken.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I've only seen the EdP, which is what I have in my wardrobe. As Surfacing says, the Mauboussin site only shows the EdP.

I don't find it particularly sweet, at least not in a sugary sense. The fruitiness is there as dried fruit, to me, and gives it a bit of sweetness, but in a very solid, understated way. This means the ginger and bergamot are rounded and muted, rather than having the spice and sourness one would expect from a fresh version of those notes.

I'd classify it more as a spicy/woody fragrance, with some supporting fruitiness and a vein of labdanum. At first, spices such as sichuan pepper and cinnamon are prominent, before it evolves and the incense, followed by sandal and cedar woods, come forward.

Where did you get this bright, hesperidic, aromatic sample, MonkeyBars? You say it is unlabelled?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    Where did you get this bright, hesperidic, aromatic sample, MonkeyBars? You say it is unlabelled?
    It's a handwritten sample.

Okay I did 5 sprays of my new EdP bottle before heading to the farmer's market. I think it's possible that the first couple sprays in the tube had been a bit dried-down. The experience of that very animalic labdanum (almost a civet-honey impression), balanced with sweet spices and dry, sharp cedar today was truly superb. Perhaps my sample was just a slightly more fresh decant than what I've got -- the very start is slightly brighter, but then it's indistinguishable. What an excellent fragrance. The composition is a bit edgy with the pepper, halfway between designer and niche, while the ingredient quality feels niche all the way. Projection is mild; this is well-rounded and somewhat polite frag. Not very potent for an EdP. I could easily do 8 sprays when going out at night.

So now my question is for david if he's around. He says he owns both. Can you compare them? Perhaps the EdT was only available in France.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    So now my question is for david if he's around. He says he owns both. Can you compare them? Perhaps the EdT was only available in France.
    He was refering to Mauboussin Homme when mentioning he owns both the edt and edp.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Dependent

He was refering to Mauboussin Homme when mentioning he owns both the edt and edp.
    Thanks for clearing that up man. Makes sense.

Curious to try Mauboussin Homme, as it has been compared to Davidoff Zino and Gucci Envy, which I enjoy.

Blind bought it today hopefully it lives up to the expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Blind bought it today hopefully it lives up to the expectations.
    Give it a full wearing and let us know what you think!

I also blind bought it and found that Redneck Perfumisto's description was quite accurate. Love this stuff

I think it's a bit too gingery! Not sure what the dry down is but I can barely smell it. I don't know what is wrong with my nose these days, I can barely smell anything apart from Montale on myself!

But will post when it dry's down and see how it transforms. Projection seems to be OK.

Overall just an OK smell for the money paid!

- - - Updated - - -

As it settles down, ginger fades away and it becomes more metallic and perhaps a skin scent. I can't say what the projection or silage of the smell is.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    As it settles down, ginger fades away and it becomes more metallic and perhaps a skin scent. I can't say what the projection or silage of the smell is.
    Really like this juice, but it's not particularly potent -- especially for an EdP. 5-10 sprays is about right for me.

Bgoc, give it some time. I was dissapointed at first, but it really grew to me and is now one of my favs. I do about 4 or 5 sprays on my chest and it seems to work fine. I prefer to wear it in warm weather ( but not hot). It seems to really come alive then.

More HERE
    Please PM me !