Code of Conduct

Default Guys ever try Thallium?

I went pretty much blind on this based on the non detailed reviews from basenotes, other sites, and a friend who keeps raving about this stuff. It's Thallium - http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126708.html

So I ordered it for about 20 and change and it just came today. First impression.. Ah damnit another Rohas, Animale Animale, Bod Heat. That sweet gourmand smell with like a ginger feeling to it (not the smell of ginger, rather the feeling of how ginger smells -- if that made any sense)

The surprising part though is that it incorporates some fruity notes.. I'm thinking Mango, possibly peach or even grape! If any of you have read one of my previous threads searching for a fragrance with a grape aroma, this is partially what I was looking for. Thallium is actually quite complex, not in the transition of phases, but the frag/notes as a whole. It's pretty linear from start to finish, and just becomes more subtle as it stays on the skin.

To me it's always great when somebody can compare one fragrance to another to really help people relate -- because while more advanced noses may know the smell of individual notes, that doesn't always guarantee something.. certain notes produce a wide variation of accords and some notes can always smell different -- this is another thread all together (sorry to be all over the place on this thread) But back to the beginning of this paragraph.. Thallium reminds me of 2 scents. Joop! and Rochas Man.. combined. Yes.. combined. To me I think that's spot on.. it opens up like a much lighter Joop! or Joop! in its middle phase, mixed with a much lighter Rochas Man. It does smell very synthetic and candy like, but its quite appealing, sexy, fairly close to the skin.. with 3-5 hrs longevity. Not groundbreaking but without doubt something worth trying. Gourmand fans! << looking for that perfect softer gourmand that can be worn any time any place, this may be a great choice. This is a John Varvatos like fragrance being very intimate, close to the skin, and flat out sexy. 4 out of 5 stars, I'd give this about a B- grade. Because it doesn't project as much as I'd like it and doesn't last too long.. but for gourmand fans who are sick of all that sillage, looking for something lighter.. give this a try.

Another cool thing is the bottle, the concept is really cool but it comes off a little cheap for some reason (you'd have to hold it in your hand to understand) it has an amazing sprayer though, it's like a button you press.

Default Re: Guys ever try Thallium?

"Thallium and its compounds are extremely toxic, and should be handled with great care. Contact with skin is dangerous, and adequate ventilation should be provided when melting this metal. Thallium(I) compounds have a high aqueous solubility and are readily absorbed through the skin. Exposure to them should not exceed 0.1 mg per m of skin in an 8-hour time-weighted average (40-hour work week). Thallium is a suspected human carcinogen."

wiki

lol@ Vladdy...
    I fell victim to the overpushy sales associate at one of those fragrance stores. I was looking to possibly buy Guccy Envy, which I ended up buying eventually. But they had me try it, and I thought it was okay. What made me pull the trigger is when in attempt to prove to me that Thallium was better than Envy, they took me to a store next door, both fragrances on a sample card, and had the two cashiers (one male the other female) smell both. They both went with Thallium. Said it was nice and fresh, and that's the one that would get thier attention. So I bought it. I soon grew tired of it and just gave it to my father. He wore it one day, and I thought it smelled nice enough on him. I said I might have to take it back. lol He still has it.

It's okay, in my opinion, and if you get it online for cheap-go ahead, if you like it. But if you buy it in the store, they'll try to get full price for it. I was at this little fragrance shop exactly a week ago, and the SA had it going for $65. He must've been MAD. I confronted him about the pricing, asked why it is so high, considering that I can get it online for under $20. He quickly grew annoyed with me, lol, cuz I was asking him a bunch of questions, like, for one, about the notes in certain fragrances, and he had no clue what notes were. lol SMH. How do you have a fragrance shop but know nothing about fragrance? SMH!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    lol@ Vladdy...
    I fell victim to the overpushy sales associate at one of those fragrance stores. I was looking to possibly buy Guccy Envy, which I ended up buying eventually. But they had me try it, and I thought it was okay. What made me pull the trigger is when in attempt to prove to me that Thallium was better than Envy, they took me to a store next door, both fragrances on a sample card, and had the two cashiers (one male the other female) smell both. They both went with Thallium. Said it was nice and fresh, and that's the one that would get thier attention. So I bought it. I soon grew tired of it and just gave it to my father. He wore it one day, and I thought it smelled nice enough on him. I said I might have to take it back. lol He still has it.

It's okay, in my opinion, and if you get it online for cheap-go ahead, if you like it. But if you buy it in the store, they'll try to get full price for it. I was at this little fragrance shop exactly a week ago, and the SA had it going for $65. He must've been MAD. I confronted him about the pricing, asked why it is so high, considering that I can get it online for under $20. He quickly grew annoyed with me, lol, cuz I was asking him a bunch of questions, like, for one, about the notes in certain fragrances, and he had no clue what notes were. lol SMH. How do you have a fragrance shop but know nothing about fragrance? SMH!!!
    LOL.

Bwah-ha-ha. So you ran into the Thallium scam, too.

(a) Smells like Joop! and grabs people's attention
    (b) Cheap as dirt, so the markup is HUGE. There's big bait-and-switch on it.
    (c) Nice, fake French luxury aura on the "house" - a little Guerlainish, but sinfully cheap - they are surely in on the scam.
    (d) The "let's ask the girls working next door" thing? Yeah. You must have been with me at the bad kiosk. Right? I'm curious how much they split with them.

Now, all that being said, it's not a bad fragrance. If you're a fan of Original Santal, and you would rather pay 10-20 bucks instead of 200, then by all means, this is worth checking out. Just don't pay $40-50 like they'll try to get at the kiosk.

$65? Wow. That's insulting. I'm glad you made yourself a pest!

This is a generic brand that is being pushed bery aggressively at the malls just like the Black Caviar one we discussed on another thread. I tried the blue version of Thallium--I think Blue or Sport or something--on a strip. Actually, it is very unique and interesting, floral perhaps with rose and neroli. It was pleasant. Kind of with an Arabian touch. I'm sure it'll turn synthetic on my skin. I don't go for these types of brands and I have so many bottles that if I make a purchase, it has to be very selective not just out of curiosity. My recommendation on these, gt on e-bay, etc. for as cheap as possible.

I didn't run into Thallium, but some dreadful cheap European faux designer scents yesterday. I went to a mall near work which has a cologne cart. They carry a lot of legit designer classics (Giorgio for Men, Guerlain Vetiver, Issey, Habit Rouge, etc) at pretty good prices. They have open samplers for none of them.

But the SA at the cart VERY aggressively pushes a variety of fake designer scents (Giorgio Valenti?) for $40-$50. I see everything she was pushing online for $20 or less.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 1st May 2010 at 11:05 PM.

I agree with all of the comments and LOL @ larwiz. Ya it def has that Joop! thing going on, its really really synthetic, but a good synthetic, not like the synthetics that give you insane headaches like Curve Crush or Kicks; and not a synthetic with metallic or animallic notes/aromas.

The bottle design actually makes me LOL, (it looks ridiculous in my collection) but I really like the sprayer. Apparently this is marketed insanely at malls in FL, but I've yet to see it. then again I try to avoid malls for fragrances unless I'm desperate to try a noob. I think it's worth what ya pay for it online 20 bucks. I actually paid almost 21, because I like dealing with Amazon, when there are prices online as low as 11 bucks.

I'm not at all super impressed by it, but intrigued enough to let others know

Giorgio Valenti's 101 for men is actually quite good, sort of like Bvlgari but with anise replacing the tea note. On the other hand, I thought Thallium was an attempt to do a Rochas Man type of frag on the cheap. If I got it for a buck at the dollar store it would be okay, but I don't think it's worth $20. If you have a little patience, you can do better for about the same price (on Rochas Man, for instance), or get a 50 ml bottle instead of a 100 ml, often on ebay or here on the BN sales forum. And the Samba frags are better made and really cheap, for another alternative (possibly some Adidas or Avon ones too).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 2nd May 2010 at 05:40 AM.

you think that's good, wait till you try Vallium!
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    you think that's good, wait till you try Vallium!
    Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Giorgio Valenti's 101 for men is actually quite good, sort of like Bvlgari but with anise replacing the tea note. On the other hand, I thought Thallium was an attempt to do a Rochas Man type of frag on the cheap. If I got it for a buck at the dollar store it would be okay, but I don't think it's worth $20. If you have a little patience, you can do better for about the same price (on Rochas Man, for instance), or get a 50 ml bottle instead of a 100 ml, often on ebay or here on the BN sales forum. And the Samba frags are better made and really cheap, for another alternative (possibly some Adidas or Avon ones too).
    I'm quite interested in many of the Samba's but I wouldn't be able to sample, just buy them blind online. The original looks the most interesting to me because I love lavender top notes. Adidas fragrances aren't comparable to anything IMHO, they're all pretty cheap, no higher than 3 out of 5 stars, lack in longevity and projection and are basically 1 up from a body spray. Adidas Dare is more "fragrance quality" but even that is just s0&so.

Back on topic though, I got more Joop! out of Thallium than Rochas, but it's like seriously a combination of the two. I think 20 bucks is pushing it, but the most I'll pay. I think it's worth 20-30 bucks. However, 10 years ago.. I think it would have been worth much more. I think it's comparable to anything from the Claiborne house and their retail prices can go as high as 60+ for bigger bottles, but they're def not worth it. They all have this extremely synthetic feeling as if they're on the verge of crumbling.

For any people reading this thread, I think the best way to describe Thallium is as so: Rochas Man structure and feeling (but the top and middle evaporate quicker) mixed with a very light Joop! Perhaps mango, lemon, maybe even guava, and just a tad of floral going on. Very linear, you get what you get with this one, if you don't like the opening.. you're not gonna want this. Again I think it's worth a blind buy purchase, ESPECIALLY if you like gourmand stuff.. this is a fruity gourmand.. as odd as that may sound, perhaps one of the first of its kind. I'm sure it's mocking another fragrance, but from what I've smelled.. there's nothing alone that smells the same as this.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 2nd May 2010 at 06:33 AM.

Oh, one I forgot is Devotion for men by Sabatini, which used to be cheap. It's got much better quality ingredients. One thing about the Sambas is that I have a feeling sometimes the ingredients aren't that great. Some are a bit simpler while others are very interesting and don't smell "synthetic." They also tend to be on the "soft" and unisex side. The one I think would be of most interest to the aficionado is Heat for Men. It's got one component that is well blended but dynamic and the other component is a woody/vetiver quality. The two play off each other very nicely, and it is certainly unique.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 2nd May 2010 at 07:02 AM.

To Redneck: ya know, I didn't put it on myh skin today, but from spraying it on some paper towel, I was somehow reminded of Angel. No, it doesn't have chocolate or coffee notes in it, but there was something in it...can't really explain it, and I'm not good with note detection.

To all: it's not a bad fragrance, and like most fragrances-if you sample long and hard enough, you'll probably find something in the same genre you're considering, but BETTER. I'd say keep looking. It's an okay fragrance, and unless you're a collector, and just like to add new bottles to you wardrobe-I wouldn't buy it. Like someone else said though-the sprayer is great though! lol

This one is pretty good. And it won't kill your wallet. What more could ya ask for? A great blind buy!

It's an OK cheapie. Think I paid $6 for 100ml.

For the price, you can't beat this. And it has a decent scent! Like the other Fragrance bros said said, it has that joop, curve and original santal thing going on (Without the OS price).