Code of Conduct

Default Atelier Colgone = Skin scent?

After reading about how Atelier Colognes, I decided to get some samples from Luckyscent. Well, the samples just arrived and I'm really disappointed. For Colognes Absolutes, I got just about nothing from the samples I've tried so far (Oolang Infiniti, Orange Sanguine and Bois Blond). The openings for Orange Sanguine and Oolang Infiniti are just gorgeous, but after that disappears in 2 mins, I can hardly smell anything at all. I have to press my nose to my skin to realize that there's still something there. Bois Blond is the only one that still has a bit of projection. I thought that Oolang Infiniti smelled kind of like Bvlgari pour Homme, so I dabbed a little from my sample, and it totally overpowered all the three scents.

I know that there are others who'd tried Atelier Colognes so I'm wondering if I somehow got expired samples? I must say that Orange Sanguine and Bois Blond are both really gorgeous (though they feel less complex than other niche fragrances I've tried), but I think I might have to bath in them if I want other people to smell them.

Default Re: Atelier Colgone = Skin scent?

I'm sure you don't have expired samples as Atelier Colognes have only been in existence a very few months.
    Everyone is different but for me all three of the fragrances you have last upwards of six hours on me.
    I spray them on and don't dab and that may be part of the difference.
    There are some people who have skin that just eat certain fragrances alive and Atelier just might be that line for you.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I'm sure you don't have expired samples as Atelier Colognes have only been in existence a very few months.
    Everyone is different but for me all three of the fragrances you have last upwards of six hours on me.
    I spray them on and don't dab and that may be part of the difference.
    There are some people who have skin that just eat certain fragrances alive and Atelier just might be that line for you.
    Thats right....for me its the Guerlain Voyage Collection Perfumes...I wish they lasted longer!!!

Actually, the problem isn't the longevity, it's the projection. I guess the idea of cologne is that it's not supposed to be strong, but I should be able to smell it without being close enough to lick my skin.

I just tried Trefle Pur and it actually projects much better, but it still seems weaker than my EdT samples. But I must say that I like Bois Blond enough to buy a bottle to try it out; hopefully it will improve with the sprayer.

I've been wearing Trefle Pur everyday for weeks. One thing I love about it is that it extremely long lasting but is never overpowering. This stuff is smooth as silk.
    I get alot of "I love that cologne" from people so I'm guessing it projecting well. I sure can smell it and I'm glad other are enjoying it to. I also get alot of compliments when I wear Gendarme so I guess you don't have to reek for people to notice. LOL.
    I was pleasantly surprised that the fragrance oil concentration (18%) for Trefle Pur actually seemed to be true instead of marketing hype. My Neiman Marcus hasn't gotten the rest of the line so I haven't tried them. Bois Blonds @ 20% oil sounds amazing.

Oolang Infiniti is long lasting and with good sillage on me, but it takes 6-8 solid spays to get it going. The Atelier Colognes come in huge bottles, they are designed for spraying with abandon I can understand the disappointment of testing it from a small dabbing vial, I'm sure the scent was a pale imitation of itself.

I have tried the Trefle Pur also, and it's a great summer scent, so I'll continue to explore this line. Why is there no entry of Atelier Cologne in the directory??

Good to hear, thanks! Yeah, I actually really like the scents from this house and I had really high hopes for Oolang Infiniti because I like tea notes and I really like Oolong tea as well. As I mentioned earlier, I've already got Bvlgari pH, but Oolang Infiniti is much smoother and less synthetic. I also felt that Trefle Pur smells like Contradiction for Men with the bright citrus and spicy notes, but again Trefle Pur is smoother and more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    But I must say that I like Bois Blond enough to buy a bottle to try it out; hopefully it will improve with the sprayer.
    Can you give a short review of Bois Blonds?
    The blog la-story.com has videos with the creators of this line and they describe Bois Blond as being unique in that it is "woody" but is still "fresh". Would you conquer?

Yeah, I agree with the description, although I can't really detect the actual wood used in the cologne. What it does is to soften the citrus notes, which is sort of like the opposite of Trefle Pur where the spices give the citrus notes an extra zing. I would consider it pretty unique in the market because the rest of the fresh citrusy sort of fragrances are either pretty synthetic, or tries to go all out with the freshness. Generally I prefer darker fragrances, but Bois Blond is such a comforting scent, I just couldn't stop sniffing it.

I had some time at lunch and did another walk thru Neiman's on the off chance they got any more Atelier's in. After being assured by yet another sales rep that all they carry is TREFLE PUR, I was leaving and right by the door was a floor display with (you guessed it) BOIS BLONDS. Sheesh!
    Anyhoo...I dosed my arms with the requsite 6 spritzes (3 on each arm) & I left.
    BOIS BLOND does smell good and pretty much like you described. Atelier really has this light but assertive, clean but not synthetic thing nailed.
    As for the intitial question as to whether these are skin scents; I can honestly say I don't think so. People really notice these frags and take the time to say so. About 15 minutes after I walked down an enclosed hallway, someone came in and said how good the hallway smelled and they followed it to me! The great part was I didn't feel like I was being suffocated by the frag.
    If I make it thru the weekend without buying a bottle I will be surprised.

Cool thanks! I'm definitely going to be getting a bottle of Bois Blond, but it's not the highest on my to buy list because although it's a great scent, it's not really distinctive and special; there are still many crazy different niche fragrances I need to get.

I also tried Bois Blond and a few others today. Out of the 3, Bois Blond is the only one that I can still smell on my skin after 1 hour. Bois Blond smells good but has very little projection.
    Last edited by rioni; 3rd June 2010 at 08:40 PM.