Code of Conduct

Default Urgent help needed

Hi internet.

It's me again.

I'm going to buy 2 scents today. First is going to be Dior Homme but I have no idea about nro 2. Can you help me out?

As you can see I live in Finland where temperatures rarely go above 25 degrees celcius. So I need a perfect scent that has a good longevity, smells great, girls like it but still is not offensive and can be used at office. And it has to suit well for a casually dressing 26 yo guy.

I would prefer something cheap(under 50 euros).

I like YSL L'Homme and have already tested DH and loved it too. You can see more by checking my wardrobe. Voile de Fleur could be one or Rive Gauche. AdG is good but too popular here(where isn't it?) How about Gucci Pour Homme II? Is it any good? Would you blind buy it? Burberry London?

For springtime I would not have any trouble finding what I like, but now as Summer is coming soon I'm in a big trouble. Help, please.

And I kinda need the help like right away lol. 15 % off at fragrancenet only today so...
    Last edited by KrugerIndustrialSmoothing; 30th April 2010 at 07:24 PM.

Default Re: Urgent help needed

Mugler Cologne. Some seem to have trouble with the longevity but I get great wear out of it.

Thanks!

I have a very dry skin so longevity is quite a big deal for me

Allure Homme Edition Blanche (2008), by Chanel
    Terre d'Hermès (2006), by Hermès
    Fuel For Life pour Homme (2007), by Diesel

Hey K-rooooooo-gah!

I think Dior Homme is all you're gonna need...save the other 50 euros to take out the hottie who's gonna be hitting on you pretty soon!

Seriously, I like Dior Homme a lot, very warm and luxurious smelling, with kind of a "silky" feel to it. It's a real standout. No need to get anything else right away until you're able to test something else that really speaks to you.
    Last edited by arlecchino; 30th April 2010 at 07:25 PM.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Dior Homme's a good one. Good call. Of the others you mentioned I'd go with Gucci PH II. Seems to me that would be a very safe blind buy.

How about YSL La Nuit de L'Homme? People here don't seem to like it as much as the original. Many say it's good for colder weather, what's your opinion? I kinda liked it though.

Naa, it's mediocre IMO.
    The dior is already a darn good decision and will get you very far.
    One that would come to my mind as suitable, elegant and confident (besides the RIve Gauche you already mentioned) is M7. An aoud that can be worn anywhere if applied subtle. Suits me personally better than Rive Gauce but I would consider neither completely safe blind buys.
    A good citrus on the other hand would be Versaces pour Homme, one of the few I like.

But I wouldnt pass too quickly about the " safe the money and take the girl out for dinner " suggestion
    Last edited by timaru; 30th April 2010 at 09:02 PM.

I have Dior Homme 50ml and a sample of Creed GIT now in my shopping bag. Maybe it's enough for now..but a part of me want's to take a risk. Sheit.

Fleur du Male? Gaultier 2?
    Last edited by KrugerIndustrialSmoothing; 30th April 2010 at 09:17 PM.

Well, going with what I think is the most favoured one on here would indeed be Rive Gauche
    But in the end you wouldnt get reimbursed for disappointments, so its up to you.
    I say go for M7

One more opinion and then I'm done

Acqua Di Parma Blue Mediterraneo Mirto di Panarea would be a definite buy for me.
    Maybe buy one bottle and a few samples?

I'm thinking about GIT sample but what others would you suggest?

Green Irish Tweed.

M7 is a good call. So is Rive Gauche. Dior Homme - very good call. Try Dior Homme Intense, too - but you don't really need it right now if you have Dior Homme.

For me, a blind buy would have to be much cheaper than 50 euros, but GphII is relatively safe as far as blind buys go. But, it's easy for me to say that because I really like it. Not the best longevity, but it's definitely versatile.

FragranceX.com has some pretty low prices for Dior Homme and Gucci Pour Homme II. About 60 euros incl. postage together(50ml each).

However I am a bit worried about their reputation. Do they really sell fakes or is it just nonsense?

fragranceX is very reliable...no fakes. I would like to recommend Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent as a springtime/summer fragrance. It is the most refreshing scent available and it's dirt cheap too...highly recommended.

oh yeah, i think you made an excellent choice on the Dior Homme...enjoy!
    Knize Ten !

That's weird as I just googled them more and found at least 10 different discussions accussing them for selling fakes(and they claim to have proof of that), even a couple of finnish webpages are discussing this subject (+ over 30/even 90 day delivery to Finland)

Live Jazz is on my test list(I think). Maybe next time
    Last edited by KrugerIndustrialSmoothing; 30th April 2010 at 11:29 PM.

Dior Homme and Gucci Pour Homme 2 all the way to the bank....
    Last edited by megatropolis; 30th April 2010 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrugerIndustrialSmoothing View Post
    That's weird as I just googled them more and found at least 10 different discussions accussing them for selling fakes(and they claim to have proof of that), even a couple of finnish webpages are discussing this subject (+ over 30/even 90 day delivery to Finland)
    FragranceX is 100% reliable, the stuff you hear is nonsense, complaints will always happen when a company has such a large volume of sales. I cannot guarantee delivery times to Europe, but my last purchase arrived in 10 business days which is extremely quick for FREE shipping to Canada. Two thumbs up.

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately I can't take the risk of my order flying around the world for a month as I need my babies asap. So what other choices do I have other than Fragrancenet.com? I want it delivered within 1½ weeks. Anything in UK? Checked Strawberrynet but their prices were much higher.

BVLGARI Pour Homme - Light, easy to wear at work, pretty cheap.

@KrugerIndustrialSmoothing - why not order from that place in Germany? It'll be faster to get it shipped to you.
    Last edited by adonis; 30th April 2010 at 11:54 PM.

What place?
    Give me a moment to find it.

http://shop.essenza-nobile.de/fragrances-en-23

http://www.thedifferentscent.de/
    Last edited by adonis; 1st May 2010 at 12:12 AM.

Isn't there a store in Finland where you can just buy the Dior Homme? It might be more expensive, but at least you'll have it right away. Also, I wouldn't buy anything blind based on someone else's opinion... I'm sure everyone means well, but in the end you are the one who has to live with it and wear it, so your nose should always trump any opinion or idea...

Yeah but it costs more like 60 euros for the smallest bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post

Thanks but neither of those have Gucci or Dior Homme.

Yeah but it costs more like 60 euros for the smallest bottle.
    I understand, but the difference in price will be negated by the shipping costs... Not to mention however long international shipping takes to arrive...

I know what you mean but FragranceX prices include shipping and are 50% cheaper. But I agree, delivery time is the main point here.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    BVLGARI Pour Homme - Light, easy to wear at work, pretty cheap.
    Adonis made a great suggestion. Bvlgari Pour Homme is good stuff, albeit understated.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grifter View Post
    Green Irish Tweed.
    good call, why didnt i think of that.

because its a little over 50 € i guess

am I the only one who thought #2 should have been Burberry London? or I'll +1 to M7.

BTW, 15% off isn't that big of a sale. (I believe) there's a basenotes coupon for exactly that as it is. Parfum1.com currently has 20% off for example and some of theirs are cheaper too.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

And I kinda need the help like right away lol. 15 % off at fragrancenet only today so...
    For the world, just today. But for you, everyday... :-)

Just use code BASENOTES for 15% off.

How about YSL La Nuit de L'Homme? People here don't seem to like it as much as the original. Many say it's good for colder weather, what's your opinion? I kinda liked it though.
    got this one yesterday as a gift from a friend, it is not original scent, but it is very nice spicy oriental imho, definitely for colder weather and evening. There are much better frags out there, though.

btw. try http://www.cheapsmells.com/ you won't be sorry, I wasn't, cause I get them there practically half the price that they actually cost in stores in Croatia!
    Last edited by Zgb; 1st May 2010 at 07:47 AM.

You can also try www.escentual.com and they are based in the UK. Mind you I have never bought from them before, so I can't say much about them.

As for a designer summer scent, I think you can also try L'eau d'Issey pour Homme. It might be a little too popular in Europe though...

Quote Originally Posted by The Grifter View Post
    Green Irish Tweed.
    As I mentioned earlier, I will buy a sampler of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    am I the only one who thought #2 should have been Burberry London? or I'll +1 to M7.

BTW, 15% off isn't that big of a sale. (I believe) there's a basenotes coupon for exactly that as it is. Parfum1.com currently has 20% off for example and some of theirs are cheaper too.
    Burberry London was one of my ideas as you can see above. Would you recommend that over GPH2? Thank you very much for that link. Unfortunately no DH there.

50ml of DH and GPH2 would cost 97 euros ordered from Escentual.com and 79 euros from CheapSmells.

Any coupons for CheapSmells? I couldn't find any. If not then I'm propably just going to take a risk here and buy.
    Last edited by KrugerIndustrialSmoothing; 1st May 2010 at 12:52 PM.

I want to thank you all for your thoughts and ideas.

Decided to go with Dior Homme 50ml and Gucci Pour Homme II 50 ml delivered from CheapSmells.com for £62.

Next buy will propably be the Burberry London(+ Voile de Fleur by Tom Ford).
    Last edited by KrugerIndustrialSmoothing; 1st May 2010 at 01:32 PM.

Oh crap!

I am here again making you guys go crazy.

After ordering GPH2 and DH I deciced to order one more.

Here are my choices as of now:

YSL Live Jazz
    YSL M7
    YSL Rive Gauche
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    Burberry London
    Tom Ford Black Orchid Voile de Fleur(many don't like this but I do, in a way)
    JPG Gaultier 2
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme
    Bvlgari Aqva For Men
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Bvlgari Black

All of those are 15-40 euros each.

Feel free to suggest pretty much anything. Something cheap and great.
    Last edited by KrugerIndustrialSmoothing; 4th May 2010 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    M7 is a good call. So is Rive Gauche. Dior Homme - very good call. Try Dior Homme Intense, too - but you don't really need it right now if you have Dior Homme.
    rive gauche baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE GPHII! You can't go wrong with it. You could try L'Instant de Guerlain perhaps? Or maybe L'eau Par Kenzo eau Indigo. It's somewhat similar to L'Homme (both use ginger) but deeper, darker and less sweet.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Thanks. L'Instant has some good reviews here. Couldn't find the latter one though?

What do you guys think about my list? Is Burberry London something you could imagine wearing today?

Burberry London is nice - but kind of "just nice," like the girl you dated who everyone said was "such a nice girl," but you really wanted her slutty, more buxom best friend. . .

Oh been there done that..literally..kinda right now lol

so far the ones you've bought are relatively heavy handed. Like Dior Homme and Black Orchid are rather thick. I'd say something like Bvlgari Aqua is going to serve you well for a warm-hot daytime. I'm not sure if you've got taht one covered yet. Also L'eau D'Izzey is the same. I'll also put Live Jazz in that pile. so I would choose one of those three. All are relatively well received, pretty good frags and inoffensive. pretty safe blind buys.
    My opinion, I liked Live Jazz but didn't find it lasted more then a couple of hours. Aqua is quite nice, and Izzey is pretty solid.

I think Rive Gauche is great but it's a definite try before you buy frag.
    I'd lump Bvlgari Black and Black Orchid together for some reason. Both sort of weird ones that may or may not hit. If you can pull them off and others don't seem offended, then sure, but both are VERY much try before you buy.

I'll put both M7 and London together, some similarity I suppose. I think they both have some sort of cherry or tobacco note or something. Neither of these are groundbreakers, just good solid frags with a little depth/development. I find both rather heavy, like I wouldn't wear them in spring and summer, more sort of fall/winter and evening IMO.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    so far the ones you've bought are relatively heavy handed. Like Dior Homme and Black Orchid are rather thick. I'd say something like Bvlgari Aqua is going to serve you well for a warm-hot daytime. I'm not sure if you've got taht one covered yet. Also L'eau D'Izzey is the same. I'll also put Live Jazz in that pile. so I would choose one of those three. All are relatively well received, pretty good frags and inoffensive. pretty safe blind buys.
    My opinion, I liked Live Jazz but didn't find it lasted more then a couple of hours. Aqua is quite nice, and Izzey is pretty solid.

I think Rive Gauche is great but it's a definite try before you buy frag.
    I'd lump Bvlgari Black and Black Orchid together for some reason. Both sort of weird ones that may or may not hit. If you can pull them off and others don't seem offended, then sure, but both are VERY much try before you buy.

I'll put both M7 and London together, some similarity I suppose. I think they both have some sort of cherry or tobacco note or something. Neither of these are groundbreakers, just good solid frags with a little depth/development. I find both rather heavy, like I wouldn't wear them in spring and summer, more sort of fall/winter and evening IMO.
    Gucci Pour Homme II in my opinion is quite light.

I do not own the original Black Orchid nor do I want to buy it. I was talking about Voile de Fleur which I suppose should be in some way more appropriate during Summer. I wasn't shocked at all to say the least.

I sampled L'eau D'Izzey yesterday and thought it was ok. Definitely something I might consider to wear although it is hugely popular. But that doesn't matter as I rarely smell anything on others.

Live Jazz is so cheap and will be among my next babies.

So, that leaves me with Voile de Fleur, Live Jazz and L'eau D'Izzey. Am I going to end up with them all? Propably.

My advice is rather spending money on buying designer frags blind like that, why dont you buy samples of BOTH designer and niche ?? =)

I'm sick of designer frags now :P May be im a niche snob, may be niche is just that much better.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"