Code of Conduct

Default Building an Eclectic Arsenal

Hey guys,
    I am a college student who has been in the fragrance game for about 2 years now. In this time, I have tried and bought a lot of designer scents, but feel that I have some areas of my collection lacking. I feel like I don't know what else to buy in my collection that is new and unprecendented. I would appreciate recommendations for categories that I am missing (soapy, intimate, sexy, sporty, etc.), and specific frags you all would recommend in those categories. Thanks for your help.

Previously in Wardrobe: Armani Code, D&G The one, Lolita Lempicka Au masculin, A*men, Versace Dreamer, Escada Magnetism, Buberry London (nice scent, terrible longevity)

Current Wardrobe:
    Formal: Dior Homme
    Club/Bar/Party: 1 Million, Joop
    Spring: Gucci Pour Homme II, Platinum Egoiste
    Fruity/Summer: Diesel Fuel for Life, Paco Rabanne Black XS
    Winter: JPG Le Male

Default Re: Building an Eclectic Arsenal

imrickjames118 -

Does it have to be new? or unprecedented? Or just new and unprecedented to you, your friends, acquaintances and peer group? Will great but not in your peer group's common experience or environment work? If I were to characterize this briefly, it would be that it seems you want something good that is relatively obscure to you, your friends, acquaintences and peer group. If this is what you want, then it may take some effort.

I think Equipage from Hermès is one of the truly outstanding men's fragrances and might fit your criteria. Equipage was created for Hermès by Guy Robert in 1970. It's been around for awhile. It's never been commonly available and it's still in production as an EDT. For a long time, it was the only full fleged "oriental" mans fragrance on the fragrance chart and it may still be. You can read the review of it on this site. I don't think it's exclusively a "mature" or "old" man's fragrance. It is, however, what I would consider very classy but not pigeon holed as formal/informal or sophisticated/simple. I was your age when I was wearing it. Girls and woman who have been with me when I was wearing it uinversally adored it and none had ever experienced it before. I agree with one reviewer who said it was a serious romantic fragrance. It's seriously stood the test of time with others and particularly with me for 36 years. I don't wear it frequently, but do for special occaisions, especially seriously romantic ones or where I want to project a unique, pleasant, complex and classy signature scent.

I bought it originally at Sakowitz (sadly they're gone) in 1975, saw it once at Harrods in the West End of London 15 yrs ago and believe at one time Neiman Marcus had it. It's not available through any of them anymore. I don't know of any department store or boutique that stocks it. The last time I bought any was about 7 years ago at a highly specialized perfume boutique and I got the last they had. It has a very loyal quiet following and Hermès still makes an EDT of it. The most reliable source for it is from Hermès directly. It might be had a little less expensively than $100/100ml elsewhere, but I'd be cautious about potential counterfeits. Maybe Hermès can send a sample for you to try. I can just about guarantee no one you know uses or has ever heard of it.

Here are some other thougts about how to go about a more eclectic variety from the road less travelled.

Obscurity is relative to the group or population in question. Various things can make very fine fragrances relatively obscure to you, your friends and peers but not impossible for you to find and try.

1) There are some really fine fragrances that are from way back or a generation back that have stood the test of time but are not in the usual places your peers are buying their fragrances. They are not talked about generally. Advertising, if any, is not in media you or your friends ordinarily see. They are available but they are invisible to you and your friends.

2) There are some really fine fragrances that have very limited availability. Fragrances that appear in very specialized fragrance boutiques and some extremely exclusive department stores an example. Some are generally available only from the house that makes it.

Here are some strategies.

Start researching the inventory of mens fragrances in stores such as Neiman Marcus, Sakowitz (yikes, it's gone!) and Harrods that don't appear in stores such as Macy's or Saks Fifth Avenue. Some boutiques, such as Perfumania and Ulta, are a middle ground of some less common fragrances but still won't have some that are found only in stores like Harrods, Neiman Marcus and (now sadly gone) Sakowitz. See if you can get samples or try before buying. That may take some effort to get samples from individuals on this site or from the house that makes them.

There are those that have stood the test of time but aren't advertised or found in any of these stores. They can be bought direct from the "house" that makes them and they stay in production because there is a quiet loyal demand for them. Equipage is an example of this. This web site is an excellent place to find out about them.

Best Wishes!

I would suggest Bvlgari pour Homme (or Soir) and Encre Noire by Lalique as an evening/date scent. They are smoky, dark and masculine. Very classy.

jalind,
    When I say unprecedented I mean something that is totally different for my collection. I just feel like all easily available designer scents are sporty and fresh. Let's put it this way: I want a scent for every occasions whether it be a night for seduction or hanging out with people in the dorms. Potentially trying to expand my winter/autumn section because I feel like I am lacking.

seduction, winter/autumn, yet very wearable - YSL M7 and/or Chanel Anteus.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Post Thanks / Like

"If it's tuesday, we must be in Belgium."
    I think collecting scents to match specific activities is painting by numbers. Your friends will say 'oh, he's got eu du toilet dead elk on. he must be trying to score with the new freshman down the hall.' Wear what you like,when you like unless it's a very specific situation, ie a funeral when Dagon Noir is over the top. Of course, if the deceased wore Dragon Noir 24/7 for 100 years it would be a nice tribute by all the men.
    Last edited by Kav; 3rd May 2010 at 07:37 PM.

For spring/summer: How about a nice vetiver like Tom Ford Grey vetiver, or perhaps something with a nice green tea/grassy smell like 212 by Herrera.

Fall/Winter: I'd recommend some Rochas Man. It's a really nice, sexy chocolate smell that should work well in colder weather.