Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver or Terre D'Hermes parfum or Angel Sunessence for men? Help me choose...

I recently recieved John Varvatos' Artisan Black as a gift and found it to do nothing for me. So I decided it to return it to the Holt Renfrew store it was purchased at. I love my fragrances, so I figured I would simply exchange it for something else. I was originally leaning towards Grey Vetiver by TF as I had smelled it in the summer and found it quite pleasant. I didn't want to make a rash decision, so I sprayed a few of the other fragrances they had at the counter, one of which was the parfum edition of Terre D'Hermes. I have ownded the edt version and to be honest didn't love it all that much, so I didn't think I would fall for the parfum.

That being said, I sprayed some on the top of my hand and made my way through the mall where I found myself at the men's fragrance counter of the Hudsom Bay Company. The SA asked me if I was a fan of Thierry Mugler scents which I am, especially the TM Cologne. She informed me that TM had a new release for the summer, A*Men Sunessence which was a lighter version of the original which I have grown out of. I was instantly drawn in by the soft yet bold citrus top notes. it's a very bright, sparkling version of the original without any of the tar harshness. The price is also very reasonable, so a purchase of that is also likely. I think it would be a very pleasant summer scent.

As I was driving home, however, there was a scent on me that I couldn't stop smelling; that being the Terre D'Hermes parfum. I wonder if it's because I had only put some on sparingly? The dilemma I face now is which of the three I should purchase. I may even be open to buying two of the three. Is there a reason why I find the parfum Terre d'Hermes so much more appealing that the edt?

Default Re: Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver or Terre D'Hermes parfum or Angel Sunessence for men? Help me choose...

If you didn't care for the edt for terre d'hermes the parfum version isn't a big stretch different.

As for Grey Vetiver, that's a great choice and I'm not even particularly a fan of vetivers but that one does it really well.
    A*Men Sunessence is one I actually bought because it's basically A*Men you can wear in the summer without the harsh notes. Surprisingly it lasts for a long time but it's very deceiving. It's hard to smell on myself after a while but I've gotten compliments while wearing it 6-8 hours after I sprayed it on. It has deceiving longevity like Bvlgari Pour Homme.

Buy what you like more, both are great options.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Default Re: Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver or Terre D'Hermes parfum or Angel Sunessence for men? Help me choose...

Your statement about Terre D'Hermes makes sense. If i don't really like the edt, how can i like the parfum. Yet, i don't know why, but I found it very captivating everytime i went to smell it in its drydown. Is there something in it or missing that is in the edt that can possibly make me feel this way about it? At this moment, I'm leaning towards the Terre D'Hemres parfum. Is there benzoin in its base. Perhaps that's the clincher for me. I really do like the Sunessence as well, although there is something very synthetic about it. So as of now, I'm leaning towards those two.

Blog Entries

All three are great choices. I own Grey Vetiver, and it's an excellent scent, especially for fancy occasions, dressy business, and any time you're wearing a gray suit. Just classy. TdH Parfum is a favorite of mine. It has a bit more floral than the EdT - smells like lyral or lilial to me. Good stuff. Very versatile. And I've only smelled the Mugler once, in the store, but it really caught my attention.

So am I going to help you pick? Nope. You're a winner any way on this one!

I'd go with Grey Vetiver! There's something too harsh about TdH in my opinion.

Terre and Grey Vetiver are heavier scents, while Sunessence doesn't have much to it. Terre EDP is, as previous mentioned, similar to the EDT, but if you hated the raunchy rotten orange aspect of the EDT, you may find it less disgusting in the EDP. The Ford will be more versatile and probably have wider appeal in general.

I'd go with Grey Vetiver. I like other vetivers better but it's the best choice from your list. At least it's versatile
    I don't like Td'H. It becomes all pepper on me yet I like the sillage from other people. I tried the parfum also--the same.
    I don't wear Angel for Men myself but I appreciate it for what it is. Sometimes I'll play with the sample I have. However, I didn't like the summer version at all.

All three are different enough! But if I had to have just one I'd definitely go for Terre d'Hermes
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Sur la Plage

1) Terre d'Hermes
    2) Grey Vetiver
    3) Angel Sunessence
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks for the advice, gents. Right now, I am leaning on going with both the Terre D'Hermes parfum and the Grey Vetiver. One last question though. I own Cereus no. 5 which is somewhat similar to the Terre. For those of you familiar with both, are they similar enough to unjustify getting Terre D'Hermes parfum?

1. terre de hermes
    2. Angel men sunessence
    3. Tom ford
    Check out my YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER

Terre d'Hermes
    TF
    Angel men sunessence

Terre D'Hermes or Angel Men Sunessence

I would go with

01) Grey Vetiver
    02) TdH Parfum

06) Sunessence
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

What did you end up going with?

Basenotes Member

I love the Grey Vetiver. The only other vetiver I lover is the old Guerlain formulation. I think that the Grey is a bit drier than the Guerlain version, but both are wonderful.

I'm a big fan of Grey Vetiver as well, imo one of the more underrated fragrances on the boards

gray vetiver. end of story.

Terre D' Hermes! That is the best of the three by far!!!

Terre D'Hermes Parfum
    Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    1) Terre d'Hermes
    2) Grey Vetiver
    3) Angel Sunessence
    I agree with this. Except, allow me to counter with;

1.) Terre d'Hermes
    X.) Either of the other two.

Terre dhermes, them the others