Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talking Now That's Shallow: Buying Perfume based on Bottle Color

I keep seeing this ad for a fragrance website on the side bar of NST, it has about 20 different boxes of colors for you to click on, then it takes you to the page with all perfume bottles that are that coresponding color

I can understand buying a perfume for the pretty bottle (im guilty as charged)
    but com'on buying a perfume because you like the
    color

sorry to all of you who like to buy perfume on the basis of the bottle color I didn't mean to offend anyone

BTW does anyone do this
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Now That's Shallow: Buying Perfume based on Bottle Color

When I buy large decants from TPC, I only buy glass large decants because they look classier to me. So, yeah... Shallow here!

Also, I really like the way Ajne allows you to choose what kind of bottle you want. I haven't bought from them yet, but if and when I do, I love having that option!

It has also been scientifically proven that fragrances smell better when sprayed out of black bottles with gold details, like L'Arte di Gucci and Black Orchid, than when sprayed from cheap, plastic bottles than have a celebrity name on them. True facts.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL -- That feature is on Fragrantica. I think it's just a pretty visual thing, not so much a shopping guide.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I may have done that a time or two ... but only the blue bottles.

Mea culpa. I bought Christian Lacroix Absynthe blind because of the lovely green fairy bottle! Not a bad blind buy as I was happy with the scent.

Suga, I must admit, a nice bottle helps the perfume experience...

On the other hand, an ugly bottle deters the buyer:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...41#post1848141
    Last edited by Primrose; 3rd June 2010 at 02:21 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Also, I really like the way Ajne allows you to choose what kind of bottle you want. I haven't bought from them yet, but if and when I do, I love having that option!

It has also been scientifically proven that fragrances smell better when sprayed out of black bottles with gold details, like L'Arte di Gucci and Black Orchid, than when sprayed from cheap, plastic bottles than have a celebrity name on them. True facts.
    Agreed !
    Anyways, I've bought EMPTY vintage perfume bottles too, just for the color -so I guess that's even worse.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 3rd June 2010 at 04:41 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hum. Yes, I have to admit bottle configuration and color do play a partial role in my attraction to a fragrance especially Baccarat and Lalique and Bee bottles.

If a fragrance is in a black bottle, it's much more likely to skip to the top of the FBW list. Given an unlimited budget and storage space, I'd buy everything I liked. As that isn't the case, and because there's thousands of fragrances to investigate and choose from, I have to apply some criteria; price is one, bottle colour is another, wearability is in there too. A beautiful black bottle will tip things for me every time! But yes, I'm shallow ;)

That's not to say I'll only buy black (I like silver, too), but I'm much more likely to consider a decant, partial bottle, tester or second hand if the bottle isn't purty.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    LOL -- That feature is on Fragrantica. I think it's just a pretty visual thing, not so much a shopping guide.
    Yeah, I think the one on Fragrantica is just for reference. Its really helpful if you tried something a long time ago that you liked but can't remember the name--just what the bottle looked like.

But I do agree that buying a perfume because of its bottle is really wrong. When you do that you're completely disregarding the point of buying a perfume in the first place!

Un profumo affettuoso

Perfume bottle collectors often buy perfume vessels because of their colour and beauty ... -
    no shallow vice, but a natural thing to do when you collect "les flacons".

Those who are soley interested in "le jus" wouldn't pay much attention to the shape or colour of the vessel, would they?
    That's why niche companies often design very puristic, low-key vessels for their scents.
    Take Serge Lutens, Parfumerie Generale, Il Profumo etc. as an example.

I think that because so many people are visual that the sites that offer fragrance by color are there to help you find something when you don't recall the name(or -more hopefully-your longsuffering(their description)friends and family members that are trying to shop for their fragrance fanatic find the bottle they can only half recall sitting on a dressertop or shelf.

I've never considered the color before.....At least I don't think I have.....Now I will have to pay more attention when I purchase and see if this matters.....Thanks for making me think!!!
    Gary