Code of Conduct

Default Issey Miyake Question

So in a last ditch effort to try and get this fragrance issue resolved I joined here hoping someone may posses the knowledge to answer this dying question I have so here it goes. Issey Miyakes first fragrance was L'Eau D Issey. Back around 1999 was the first time I had smelled the fragrance and it literally was the greatest smell my nose had come to smell. My older brother was the one who introduced me to it. So 2 years later i went out and bought the set which included the deodorant. Upon buying the cologne I went home and noticed that it smelled very different than what I had smelled in the store and what my brother had as well. So I started doing some research to find the cologne that I originally smelled. After spending over $200 on issey miyake stuff ive yet to find it
    But here are what my results yielded:
    There apparently are two different versions of the same cologne taken from fragrance descriptions.
    Description one: (the version I have been looking for)
    L'Eau D'Issey Cologne for Men by Issey Miyake. Made for the man who laughs easily, Issey Miyake. This is a light, airy, clean scent that captures his unique zest for life.L'EAU D'ISSEY was created by ISSEY MIYAKE in 1993. L'eau D'Issey is the result of the following top fragrance Notes: juniper, bergamot and lavender. The middle notes are: sage, coriander and freesia and the base of the fragrance is: sandalwood, moss and cedar.
    Description two:
    In 1994 Two years after the creation of his women's fragrance, Issey Miyake launched his men's fragrance, L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme. Reflecting the principles of his women's scent, it embodies yin and yang, and the extreme polarities of the world. L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme is a fresh yet warm, woody scent accented with spicy notes.
    Notes:
    Verbena, Tangerine, Cypress, Yuzu Zest, Coriander, Clary Sage, Geranium Bourbon, Blue Water Lily, Nutmeg, Saffron, Cinnamon Bark from Ceylon, Amber Tobacco, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Musk.
    Style:
    A fresh herbacous scent with warm, woody undertones.

So obviously there is a distinct difference in the fragrance notes.
    There is another difference I noticed as well. The difference in the writing on the bottle. the version I have been looking looks like this http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120927.html

The versions I have look like this http://image.yesstyle.com/assets/33/...1004580333.jpg

I have a very keen sense of smell so I ruled out the possibility of me being crazy

I have even contacted the company that produces Issey miyake and they said that they only produce the version I have and basically called me crazy.

If anyone has any info or any leads or just something to help me figure this out please post or pm me!

Default Re: Issey Miyake Question

Hard to say. I'm no expert but it may have undergone a reformulation. It looks to me like the version in your first link no longer exists. I've never seen it.

I first tried Issey in the mid 90s and it came in the bottle you show in the second link.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 2nd May 2010 at 04:07 AM.

Maybe his was one of the 'Summer' versions?
    Other than that, it might just smell different on your skin. Different pH levels, whether your skins oily or dry, your 'natural' body oils can all affect how a scent smells. Also, it smells different to someone else from a distance than you just sniffing your wrist!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

The summer versions do smell different (and better, IMHO)

Blog Entries

Yes, there are several possibilities here. I know that I got caught on the summer version thing, and it took me a while to figure out. L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme (LIPH) is usually available in a summer version every year, and I got a sample of that, but the SA didn't put the summer version on the sample - just L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme. Took me a while to figure out why my sample and the stuff in the store didn't match.

There is definitely the possibility of reformulation. EVERYTHING gets reformulated over time.

And finally, what Anthony mentioned about differing perceptions of the scent is VERY important for LIPH. I get strong differences in this scent depending upon how I apply it and how I smell it. A small, light application seems very different from a huge wet spritz of the stuff. And not only that, but at different times, I tend to get different emphasis of notes. My scent memory of this one is all over the place. In Sephora, it was a wet woody. From a spray in a fancy men's room, it was a cool aquatic with a tiny touch of wood. Sprayed on big-time after I bought it, it was like a sickly aquatic, oddball citrus. At other times, I almost get mostly tobacco. Right now, I can get all of these by spraying on to different extents and holding my nose at the right time and distance.

Good stuff, too! Glad I put it on.

Thanks for the fast responses guys. To adress the summer issue Im certainly positive it wouldnt be the summer versions because I own a few and have smelled just about every version that has been out. Back when I was first introduced to issey I'm not sure that the summer versions were in existence. But the possibility of reformulation would be the easiest answer and was something that I didnt know companies did. Over the years I have impressed people with my keen sense of smell including perfume department employees as I have been able to pick out the top notes used in some fragrances after one wiff.( not trying to brag at all) After becoming familiar with some of the typical notes used in fragrances I was able to rule out the possibility of it being my perception in smell because I knew what the combination of those notes in the 1993 description would smell like. If any of you have smelled L'EAU BLEUE D'ISSEY EAU FRAICHE ISSEY MIYAKE, the version I am looking for resmebles it but smells no where near as good. I guess my next question would be if there is a possibility of me finding a place that would allow me to customize my own fragrance?

I know this isn't going to be of much help. But Perfume Intelligence, is probably the most comprehensive encyclopedia of fragrances, bottles, and houses. If it's not here it doesn't exist. Here's the page on Issey Miyake.....

http://www.perfumeintelligence.co.uk...ses/Miyake.htm

Edit: Apparently there is the aforementioned L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme, then of course Le Feu d'Issey (the women's version), but apprently there is a L'Eau d'Issey, created in 1992, which didn't seem to have a gender. Could that be it?
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 3rd May 2010 at 12:34 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

L'Eau d'Issey is the women's - and I was almost going to suggest that one, because it's an awesome scent. Le Feu d'Issey is a follow-up scent for women that was hailed by critics but failed by the public. Dimi lucked onto a rare bottle and was kind enough to sell me some. Bizarre, schizo, brilliant juice - niche concept in a rad bottle. The tale is on my BN blog.

Personally, I think L'Eau d'Issey is unisex. But the bottle is way off. The OP has a sharp nose and has investigated thoroughly - I think it has to be reformulation.

And thx for that link, too!

Several years ago a friend gave me the bottle with the three lines of type. I have never looked around for anything to compare it to, mainly because I didn't like it much. However, after reading Redneck's post, I agree completely, that the spritzing method can make a big difference. The 'walk into a cloud' method makes me like it much more. If Shooter700 would like a sample (all the way from Tokyo!) let me know.

It's interesting that the bottle listed at the Basenotes directory that you link to, is one that I've never seen - and indeed is different from the current bottle in the ad that comes up next to it. Different coloured top, different coloured liquid, thee lines of writing vs tw in the current one.
    Thanks for drawing our attention to it.

The other interesting thing is that the one you tested in the shop wasn't the same as the one you bought. It's a shame you didn't take it back and do a direct comparison.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    It's interesting that the bottle listed at the Basenotes directory that you link to, is one that I've never seen - and indeed is different from the current bottle in the ad that comes up next to it. Different coloured top, different coloured liquid, thee lines of writing vs tw in the current one.
    Thanks for drawing our attention to it.

The other interesting thing is that the one you tested in the shop wasn't the same as the one you bought. It's a shame you didn't take it back and do a direct comparison.
    Renato
    I really wish I could have but I bought it on the last day of a vacation and didnt open it until I literally got back home and by that time it was too late. If any of you have smelled the dry down right before it fades away resembles it as well.

So how often and why do companies reformulate things? If they do reformulate is there ever away of finding out?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    L'Eau d'Issey is the women's - and I was almost going to suggest that one, because it's an awesome scent. Le Feu d'Issey is a follow-up scent for women that was hailed by critics but failed by the public. Dimi lucked onto a rare bottle and was kind enough to sell me some. Bizarre, schizo, brilliant juice - niche concept in a rad bottle. The tale is on my BN blog.

Personally, I think L'Eau d'Issey is unisex. But the bottle is way off. The OP has a sharp nose and has investigated thoroughly - I think it has to be reformulation.

And thx for that link, too!
    No prob RP! It's sort of a last resort site for me, it's sort of unwieldy and difficult to navigate. But is sure does have info, a TON of info.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter700 View Post
    So how often and why do companies reformulate things? If they do reformulate is there ever away of finding out?
    Reformulation is a HUGE subject here - I can't do it justice in a post. This may actually be the best place to find out about reformulations, other than some of the popular perfumista blogs. Googling the name with "reformulation" works surprisingly well.

There is often a simultaneous change in packaging, usually for corporate reasons (like updating the image of a scent), but it can also happen when new rules from IFRA go into effect, and the only clue is a sharp nose here posting about a change in the scent.

Side-by-side comparison with the nose works surprisingly well in detecting reformulations!