Code of Conduct

Default Pierre Montale - What did he do before ... Montale ?

I wonder anybody knows what did Pierre do before he created Montale in 2001 and opened the showroom in 2003 ???? Seems like he never creates any perfume before that (no information on the net).

ohhmygod.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Default Re: Pierre Montale - What did he do before ... Montale ?

The rumour is that he was at Comptoir Sud Pacifique.

You can see some similarities - the aluminium bottle, the exploration of vanilla. CSP had some quality scents before their reformulation binge.
    Last edited by Petra Ichor; 2nd May 2010 at 10:47 AM.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

There´s also a watch brand with the Montale name, http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...48/MORANO.html
    I´m not sure if it´s the same company.
    Isn´t it strange there´s not even one picture of Pierre Montale on the net?

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    To complicate matters even further, when I once asked to speak to Pierre I was met with the reply, "Which one?"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    To complicate matters even further, when I once asked to speak to Pierre I was met with the reply, "Which one?"
    Ofcourse it would have helped if you had mentioned the surname 'Montale'...I am assuming Pierre must be a very common name in France..
    -

The only snippet of info I found is that prior to founding the house of Montale, Pierre Montale was a private perfumer to royalty in the middle east..
    -

I remember someone on here saying Comptoir Sud Pacifique was his old company, but I can't find any info on that.

Slightly OT anyone else been unable to access the montale site all week ?

I think Pierre Montale might be a myth. Or a front for a money-laundering operation. Either or.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Ofcourse it would have helped if you had mentioned the surname 'Montale'...I am assuming Pierre must be a very common name in France..
    And have you ever visited the Montale boutique, in Paris? If you have, you probably would have thought twice before posting such an obnoxious comment...

The Montale front page has been down for weeks, but you can get in via http://www.montaleparfums.com/montale_US.php (or you could, just tested it and it too is duff now)

Here's one of the articles talking about Montale and CSP: http://fragrancebouquet.blogspot.com...nd-all_03.html

..."considering CsP is a line that was originally created by Pierre Montale. There now seems to be some 'bad blood' between the lines, since Pierre Montale is (understandably) upset to see his formulas changed and degraded. Having come into the CsP line only after Pierre had already departed and never having known the ‘good stuff’ I still love CsP for what I know it to be right now. "

Certainly a conundrum wrapped in an enigma :)
    Last edited by Petra Ichor; 2nd May 2010 at 06:35 PM.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Comptoir Sud Pacifique. Not a rumor. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    And have you ever visited the Montale boutique, in Paris? If you have, you probably would have thought twice before posting such an obnoxious comment...
    Yes, I have been at the main boutique and there is, in fact, two Pierre's there: Mr Montale himself, and one of his sales staff (who is usually the English-speaking gent that takes phone orders).
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by carmencanada View Post
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique. Not a rumor. Fact.

I think this is very interesting, and to me also completely suprising. Thank you for confirming this. (Thanks also to Petra Ichor)

I should also say that your blog is an excellent read.
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 3rd May 2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: price winning leek

Per Luckyscent:

Parfums Montale came into being in 2001, when perfumer Pierre Montale relocated to Saudi Arabia and began to create perfumes for Arabian kings, queens, sultans and princesses. In 2003, he opened his first showroom in Paris and unveiled his masterful creations to the West, combining Eastern essences with precious woods, resins, florals, sweet confections and spices from around the world to create his beautiful line of perfumes.

Perfume traders usually broadcast what the manufacturers (brand owners) authorize them to publish. The information may be correct but is usually so limited that it leaves important facts undisclosed. 'His', i.e. Pierre Montales, line may actually be a line owned by family members of the royal family in Saudi Arabia. I can believe that PM may be the perfumer of some of the thirty perfumes appearing on the world market from one day to the next in the year 2003, but I doubt he alone deserves credit for all of them, particularly those containing oudh. Whatever the truth may be, the success is impressive, and their noble address in Paris certainly made up for a poorly administered website.
    Last edited by narcus; 20th June 2010 at 11:07 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Per Luckyscent:

Parfums Montale came into being in 2001, when perfumer Pierre Montale relocated to Saudi Arabia and began to create perfumes for Arabian kings, queens, sultans and princesses. In 2003, he opened his first showroom in Paris and unveiled his masterful creations to the West, combining Eastern essences with precious woods, resins, florals, sweet confections and spices from around the world to create his beautiful line of perfumes.
    He must have had previous experience before that. What i wanted to know is his previous house/brand. I already got an answer for that. Thanks anyway !!! =]

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Perfume traders usually broadcast what the manufacturers (brand owners) authorize them to publish. The information may be correct but is usually so limited that it leaves important facts undisclosed. 'His', i.e. Pierre Montales, line may actually be a line owned by family members of the royal family in Saudi Arabia. I can believe that PM may be the perfumer of some of the thirty perfumes appearing on the world market from one day to the next in the year 2003, but I doubt he alone deserves credit for all of them, particularly those containing oudh. Whatever the truth may be, the success is impressive, and their noble address in Paris certainly made up for a poorly administered website.
    Exactly
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

He worked as a copywriter in an extremely communist country that limited people's rights to ALL things, including adjectives.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post

Lianne Tio and Pierre Montale

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlďck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Very interesting indeed.
    I had no idea that PM had anything to do with CSP.
    Smellin good

A real enigma of a man.

sounds like an interesting guy, the Montale brand kinda creeps me out though

Based on this thread and a few others I deduce that Basenotes is a community that thrives on transparency.

for swap/sale:

I think there is a huge possibility that there is no real "Pierre Montale" at all.

The person who's playing the role of Pierre Montale may have a real name like Michel André Thomas.

...Thomas White Aoud? That won't work.

EDIT:
    Since they're going to settle it out in court, maybe we'll see if he is truly "Pierre Montale" after all.