Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Is there a fragrance we all like?

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    +1! It's definitely not groundbreaking but.. it just smells like cleanliness. I couldn't imagine anyone really not liking it

I doubt there's any fragrance that we will all LOVE. The best case scenario would end up with some loving it, some liking it, and some who are indifferent about it.

In fairness, my original question was is there a fragrance we all LIKE. Not love, that would be asking too much.

There are many fragrances which I like, which don't rate as highly as those I LOVE.

What I am trying to find is a consensus fragrance we all like.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by chapter10 View Post
    Chergui.
    + A Billion. It boggles my mind how anyone could not love this. I do think, though, that people are just being difficult for difficult sake. I mean, you may not purchase it yourself, but how can someone not like something as simple and beautiful as Acqua di Parma, or any other clean citrus.

Edit: I also find the claims of Chergui being sweet to be exaggerated, it's hardly that sweet. And I'll agree on Mugler Cologne as well.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 4th May 2010 at 01:46 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

How about renaming this thread 'Is there a fragrance we can all tolerate?'

I think we all like Jacques Fath's Yang. Though many of us don't know that we like it yet.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I think we all like Jacques Fath's Yang. Though many of us don't know that we like it yet.
    (sheepishly raising his hand) I don't like it. Sorry, got a sample, smells gross on me.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    (sheepishly raising his hand) I don't like it. Sorry, got a sample, smells gross on me.
    Ah, my friend, I'm glad you posted. You unfortunately fall into the latter of my two categories. You don't yet know that you love Yang.

Have you tried it from a proper spray bottle? BNers agree the experience of a fragrance only becomes true through such a nozzle. Have you tried it with the underarm deodorant? Surely you're missing the bliss if you haven't. Same for the aftershave balm. If you buy more Yang products you're sure to overcome the problem. If that doesn't work, you should keep wearing all of them and do so repeatedly. Many BNers agree that it's only after you try a scent several (maybe many in your case!) times that you come to appreciate it.

(Joke!)
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

^ Lol! I do have a 2ml (or so) spray sample, I got a year or so ago from a fellow BNer. Haven't tried it in a LONG time, but because you are using Jedi Mind Tricks on me, I shall revisit once I'm done sampling all my new goodies.

This is a great thread, and amazingly civil.

I see someone mentioned Iris Silver Mist. I can go for that one as well. I don't have a full bottle, but my sample is quite nice. Maybe, too feminine however for some ? Alot of the Lutens are not jiving with me, but this is pretty nice.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I personally love Iris Silver Mist. It's my favorite iris. That being said, I recommended it to a Basenoter who was seeking a carroty fragrance, and they said they loathed it, so that sinks that boat.

If we're going for like not love, I don't remember anyone hating Chergui. For me I'm somewhere between like and indifference on it. It's very inoffensive.

On that note - anyone dislike Burberry London?

Quote Originally Posted by MassMenace View Post
    How about renaming this thread 'Is there a fragrance we can all tolerate?'
    No, I think "like" is slightly up the scale. Tolerate is like saying "actually I'm not really keen on this, but I don't feel the need to scrub it off after application but I'll carry on grudgingly wearing it."
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    No, I think "like" is slightly up the scale. Tolerate is like saying "actually I'm not really keen on this, but I don't feel the need to scrub it off after application but I'll carry on grudgingly wearing it."
    This sums up my feeling towards so many frags, unfortunately.

Guerlain - La'Instant, Guerlain Vetiver, Terre D Hermes.. Azzaro?!

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I used to love it, but sadly I've grown sick of it. It's too tart for me.

I vote for GEIR! While many people may find it uninspiring I don't know if anybody has been repulsed by it. The same goes for Puro Lino.
    Last edited by teflondog; 4th May 2010 at 08:55 PM.

I don't like Geir. It smells like I just spilled some fabric softener all over myself. Sorry!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    I used to love it, but sadly I've grown sick of it. It's too tart for me.

I vote for GEIR! While many people may find it uninspiring I don't know if anybody has been repulsed by it. The same goes for Puro Lino.
    Sorry man, I cannot ever tolerate Geir. I find it shrill, piercing, and headache inducing. I kept trying to like it back a couple years ago when it was all the rage here, but I never came around.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

My first nice fragrance was Halston Z-14.....My first classy fragrance was Pour Monsieur by Chanel and Yes I like this very much.....I also like Creed's GIT, Mugler's Cologne and Terre D'Hermes. I am a fan of Armani's Gio Pour Homme.....I'm easy to get along with so I'll disagree with very few.....I've noticed that these were mentioned so I'll end with these for now.....Gary

I did forget to Mention Geir and Yes this is very nice!!! No Yang for me!!!
    Gary

Perhaps like is too strong a word!

I think there is a huge difference between "I like this enough to buy a bottle" and "the person who just walked by smelled nice." I think lots of fragrances will fit into that second category: pleasant smells for a brief encounter. Looking at it that way, I suspect there are quite a few fragrances that a substantial majority of us would "like". Otherwise, this is a hopeless task.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Perhaps like is too strong a word!

I think there is a huge difference between "I like this enough to buy a bottle" and "the person who just walked by smelled nice." I think lots of fragrances will fit into that second category: pleasant smells for a brief encounter. Looking at it that way, I suspect there are quite a few fragrances that a substantial majority of us would "like". Otherwise, this is a hopeless task.
    I don't think it's that difficult to be honest, there are lots of fragrances I like. Take Jasper Conran Man for example, it's not stratospheric, it's just a nice fragrance, smells good and wears great with a suit.

I feel the same about a good number of fragrances, many of which I own, such as Arpege pour homme, Ambre pour Homme by Prada, Homme Exceptionel by Mont Blanc and many others, these I just like and wear often enough to warrant me keeping them.

Hence the original question I suppose.

doubful

Here are some exceptionally positively reviewed frags, however

calandre - http://www.basenotes.net/ID10212587.html

carven homme - http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120303.html

eau de lalique - http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122541.html

m7 fresh - http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123565.html

parfum sacre - http://www.basenotes.net/ID10210594.html

eau de cartier - http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120495.html

disclosure: the only one of these I have tried is eau de cartier, which is very nice.