Code of Conduct

Default Database error issues?

Anyone else experiencing errors connecting to the forum?
    It's happening quite frequently, lately. Sometimes when I am trying to post a response to a thread and press the add reply button, I get this database error and consequently lose my post without it being posted. It's quite frustrating.

I've taken a shot of the screen that appears when I can't open the basenotes website.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Database error issues?

I'm getting those, too. Every once in a while. I think I got one last night, too.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I get them alot, and have gotten them for quite some time now,
    and it's beginning to annoy the hell outta me!

I get these all the time!!! Plus sometimes it takes FOREVER for pages to load, then, sometimes after waiting, I get a message that I cannot connect to basenotes.net. Because of these issues, I don't log on quite as often as I'd like. But I"m sure they'll get fixed; it's just a matter of time.
    Last edited by Lyndy Hop; 2nd May 2010 at 03:26 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, lately - more often than not - database error. Then I get concerned B notes is down again.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Damn, it just happened again after I had written a long post and when I hit the post quick reply buttom........BAM.....the database error showed up....Need I say I lost my post.....Should I also mention, I am not going to rewrite that post....aaargh

ALWAYS highlight and copy your post before you click the "post reply" button. That way, if you encounter an error, you can just go back and paste your post back into the reply box.

Also, if you switch to a browser like Opera, you can just click the back button when something like that happens and your text will appear in the box just as it was before you clicked the button. Down with Internet Explorer!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I've gotten the database error message a few times this week-- once when trying to post a long post. Hitting the back button got me back to my post and the next time I tried (after copying it for safety), it went thorough. I use Safari for a browser.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 3rd May 2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typos

We're having to reset the server every hour, so when the clock gets to around :59 / :00 it will reset briefly. I'm working on this at the moment, but a lot of old code needs rewriting.

So you'll tend to get the errors on the o'clock.

Sorry!

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the update Grant !

I'm having increasing difficulty getting onto the site, especially in the last week or so. It takes forever now for the pages to load and sometimes they just never do load so I give up and go away. Will whatever is causing this sort of problem be worked out soon, Grant?

I've encountered this problem for weeks now, but it seems to be getting worse. I get the database error more often than not, and there have been several times when I just gave up altogether for a half day or even longer.

I don't think all these errors are occurring on the hour but at other times as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    I'm having increasing difficulty getting onto the site, especially in the last week or so. It takes forever now for the pages to load and sometimes they just never do load so I give up and go away. Will whatever is causing this sort of problem be worked out soon, Grant?
    I agree....Since the last 3-4 days, the site is painfully slow to load....pages don't open fully at times.....earlier I thought it was my internet connection but other sites seem to be behaving normally....

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    We're having to reset the server every hour, so when the clock gets to around :59 / :00 it will reset briefly. I'm working on this at the moment, but a lot of old code needs rewriting.

So you'll tend to get the errors on the o'clock.

Sorry!
    Grant, are we getting any closer to getting rid of the problems? I really really don't want to sound like a brat, and I know you work incredibly hard. But it bums me out to come on in the morning and see only 3/4 of a page of new posts, instead of the usual 1-1.5 pages. I assume it's like this because the server was down at intermittent points throughout the night, like it is during the day.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

For me access has improved over the past week. Now the errors do seem to be limited to a few minutes around every hour on the hour, with no, or extremely few, problems at other times.

I get it a lot too.....quite frustrating! I'm not sure if it's been happening on the hour or not, but I'll keep check from now on. Luckily Firefox lets me hit back without losing messages/posts I've written.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Yup, on the hour, every hour...........
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I have just noticed this the last several days. Perhaps my timing is bad.

Is this just the way things are now - a permanent problem? Or is this a temporary thing?
    Seems like it's been happening for a month or two now...

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Yup, on the hour, every hour...........
    Yup! The problem is gone by a minute past the hour for me.
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    ALWAYS highlight and copy your post before you click the "post reply" button. That way, if you encounter an error, you can just go back and paste your post back into the reply box.

Also, if you switch to a browser like Opera, you can just click the back button when something like that happens and your text will appear in the box just as it was before you clicked the button. Down with Internet Explorer!
    Workaround for I.E. (works for 8 - may not for 7 or 6, but you should upgrade if you haven't already)...

I've been seeing the hourly server reset bug, and occasional other "cannot connnect" bugs in IE, and I finally found a workaround. DO NOT HIT THE BACK BUTTON! The post invariably has not actually gone through, so simply wait a minute (or until 1 minute and 5 seconds past the hour), then hit the Refresh button or F5 to resubmit. Works like a charm.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Redneck - will try that trick !

Royally starting to piss me off now , constant time out messages or datebase errors ... Whats the point Basenotes if you cant get your shit together

Basenotes Plus

It's been up and down like a whore's drawers recently. I tend to stick with it and it usually resolves itself eventually but it is frustrating.

Last few days have been terrible, but I stick with it. The only thing that cheeses me off the most is that sometimes it logs you in and for example there may be 5 pages worth of topics to view, you then find no topic you click on will open for you to read and by the time it corrects itself, you can only see 1 page worth to read, so you end up having to scan manually through those you haven't read of replied to, but hey, other than a few gremlins in the works now and then, Basenotes remains an excellent site and to be honest, I can get on here far more times than I can with Ebay. Ebay at the moment is ridiculous. Once I'm logged in it can take ages for pages to appear regardless of how many times you click on them. It's not my main PC or laptop, I've tried Explorer as well as Firefox which is my main choice and my ISP connects me between 12-15mb so if that's not fast enough I don't know what is (well I do but Virgin fibre optic up to 50mb isn't in my area).

EDIT: I also keep seeing the "You must wait 30 seconds before posting" message, immediately after I have typed something and hit save. The only way to make sure you don't double post, appears to be by going out of the thread and then clicking on it again, to make certain it has taken your post

My gripe is that when I have been posting lately (or writing long PMs), when I hit the SUBMIT button, it just HAPPENS to fall on the hour, and my posts get lost! Im pulling my hair out with frustration!
    As a safety net, now Im copying every post and PM prior to submitting it, so I can potentially paste it into a new field if lost again.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    My gripe is that when I have been posting lately (or writing long PMs), when I hit the SUBMIT button, it just HAPPENS to fall on the hour, and my posts get lost! Im pulling my hair out with frustration!
    As a safety net, now Im copying every post and PM prior to submitting it, so I can potentially paste it into a new field if lost again.
    Yes ,sadly, Dimi, this has been happening. I always copy my posts beforehand these days - I've been at that frustration level too.

I am also finding out that sometimes, even if it's not a minute before or after the hour, I just can't connect to Basenotes....like 5 minutes ago.
    Then I checked at www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com (- life saver - ) it said Basenotes was down . A few minutes later, I was able to connect again. It's weird and it's irritating.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 18th July 2010 at 04:18 PM.

Same with logging in. I keep finding myself logged out and then have to log back in again...

Me too, Dimi and Mimi. I think there's a setting in my biological clock that makes me want to post to Basenotes or send a PM only on the hour! It's uncanny how often that happens.

I'm also finding recently that the inability to connect after the resets lasts longer than it used to, usually about 5-8 minutes, whereas before it used to be only for a couple of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Same with logging in. I keep finding myself logged out and then have to log back in again...
    Ditto... I often use the fields on the top of this page to log in, and when I hit submit, I am told I dont have permission to access the page, and am asked to reenter my user/pass.

Basenotes Institution

Yup, I also have been unable to log in sometimes, because Basenotes says my password and log in name are wrong when I know I have typed correctly ( for a change ! ) Arrrgghh !
    Trying to submit a post is slow too ,no matter what the time is.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 19th July 2010 at 02:50 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Sometimes I'm getting the database error message at times other than on the hour; and sometimes it takes more than a few minutes to regain access on the hour.

Sometimes when I try to connect while the server is resetting it eventually works, but other times I have to abandon trying to get directly to the thread I was reading by going to the main Basenotes page and then navigating again through the forums and then to the thread.

In other words, sometimes after the server resets refreshing the page or clicking on Back works and sometimes it doesn't.

Just back on now for the first time since last night

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Just back on now for the first time since last night
    Same here.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Working on it folks. I may finish part of the solution tonight, which will mean I should be able to switch off the hourly resets (if all goes to plan)

The part of the solution involves recoding the directory search functionality, so check the post in the announcements boards about that if you have any suggestions

cheers