Code of Conduct

Default Patou pour homme and Patou pour homme Prive

I just received decants of Patou pour homme and Patou pour homme Prive from TPC. On first wearing, these are both as good as described by the reviews. I actually prefer Prive because it's a bit sweeter and has a bit of patchouli in the base. What a shame that there are both discontinued. I wonder if they were re-released today whether they would be successful.

Anyone else out there prefer Prive over the original pour homme?

I highly recommend anyone who hasn't sniffed these to order some samples. Give them a try before it becomes impossible.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Patou pour homme and Patou pour homme Prive

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I just received decants of Patou pour homme and Patou pour homme Prive from TPC. On first wearing, these are both as good as described by the reviews. I actually prefer Prive because it's a bit sweeter and has a bit of patchouli in the base. What a shame that there are both discontinued. I wonder if they were re-released today whether they would be successful.

Anyone else out there prefer Prive over the original pour homme?

I highly recommend anyone who hasn't sniffed these to order some samples. Give them a try before it becomes impossible.
    I prefer the Prive also.

I would love for them to be re-released (and not re-formulated). But I highly doubt they would be successful - which is why they won't be re-released.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

+1 on Prive.

I have yet to try to Prive, but I love the regular version. Anyone seeking to be excessively charitable feel free to send a bottle of each for side-by-side judgment.

smeller

Chanel pour Monsieur, Monsieur de Givenchy, Knize Ten, YSL pour homme, Équipage, Habit Rouge, Van Cleef and Arpels, Santos de Cartier, Caron pour un Homme... All of these frags are classics that don't fit today's fashion, and are still in uninterrupted production since its release.

Patou pour Homme is an atemporal classic. With a decent marketing strategy (associating it with luxury, success, "sexy women love it", etc.), it would easily become a retro-metrossexual cult item. Vintage is in vogue.

in this case, being hopeful is futile
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I have wanted to try these for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmo View Post
    I have wanted to try these for a while.
    Indeed, I regret Selling PPH, and would love to find Prive at a great price!

In my fantasy world P&G would realize that the whole Patou brand marketed like the Chanel Les Exclusifs would be a huge success and both Patou pour Hommes and the Ma Collection line would be brought back and re-formulated if necessary under the supervision of Jean Michael Duriez.
    Unfortunately P&G is more interested in producing mass market instead of prestige.
    As for the OP I prefer Patou PH over Prive but both are fabulous.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Both are incredibly complex fragrances. Until recently I would never wear Prive, even though I had a bottle for a long time, for some reason I never really bothered. Ever since I wore it, I absolutely loved it. It's my favorite lavender fragrance. Also this is a wonderful fragrance for spring/autumn. I think I surely need a backup of this but due to obvious reasons, I MUST wait. ;-)

Patou pour homme on the other hand can only be worn in colder weather. To be honest, I have not had the right moment or situation to wear this. However I do put some on my wrist sometimes just to get the hang of it.

I wear both and enjoy them both. If I had to live with just one, I would stay with PPH. But I would seriously miss the Prive. Sometimes I think the wanting is as pleasurable as the getting - especially for something that is out of production. Both the Patou's are worth experiencing, but there's a host of great classic stuff out there that is obtainable. So enjoy!

An incredibly well-blended fragrance that resonates throughout the day - you get the sympony of the overall accord yet can pick out individual notes, from opening all the way through dry down. Worth spending $$$ to experience a masterpiece. Prive is equally well blended, as others have commented, with a different set of notes--lavendar, herbal, etc. - that perfectly complements Pour Homme. Like the other great male fragrance from Patou - Yohji Homme - these two have been discontinued by its corporate owner, Procter and Gamble.

When I wrote them online this month, the response was there are no plans to bring back any of the three perfumes. Perhaps another company can buy the formulas and then redesign the Pour Homme and Prive bottles--men usually prefer spray bottles that are easy to handle, not splash bottles that handle like bars of gold bullion.

This triple failure to keep these superlative men's fragrances in production is a sad commentary on the tastes of men who do purchase perfume.

AromiErotici

Patou Pour Homme is invariably the best designer masculine I have had the pleasure of. I opted to sell it off over a year ago because I could never find a situation to wear it........and I always felt like I was wasting it whenever I did wear it around the house. That bottle drove me nuts. It sat in my drobe like a shrine-like obsession. I hate not having it.......but it was the right thing ( for me) to get rid of it.

Prive is also terrific and came in 2nd to Pour Homme. I can't bring myself to buy them again because they would just sit there "being too good to waste". When a bottle of juice becomes an act of worship, it's time for me to kick it to the curb.

There is a third take on this: Patou Pour Homme Green.
    Whilst reading basenotes reviews for Dunhill Blend 30, one member described it as Patou Pour Homme, "green".
    I tried my Blend 30 and immediately made the connection. It´s remarkable ! They are very close, but Blend 30 is a little greener.

Blog Entries

So, is The Perfumed Court the only chance left I have of trying these two unsung heroes that everyone is raving about?
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

What a pity these two gems are discontinued! I love them both and have 2 bottles of the Prive that I scored through BN and a 30ml decant of JP Homme. The latter is adorable by me. Less Mozart-y than Prive but closer to my genes. Can't Bond 9 do a good *inspirational* job and replicate them?

3 bottles Patou Pour Homme recently were auctioned on ebay and didn´t go too high. I think they fetched about €90 which is cheaper than a lot of niche fragrances.

I find Prive much more wearable so in that sense it's the "better" of them, but as an amazing transporting smell, which allows me to bend space and time without moving, it's got to be PPH straight that gets my verdict as better of the two.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    which allows me to bend space and time without moving
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

David writes:
    3 bottles Patou Pour Homme recently were auctioned on ebay and didn´t go too high. I think they fetched about €90 which is cheaper than a lot of niche fragrances

I dunno--I found 2 oz splash bottles of both on 'Ebay this past month going for more than 300 USD. They're very rare and expensive.

I hope a competitor like Bond No. 9 does attempt a close cousin of either frag since Patou obviously has eliminated men's fragrances from its line. Just go to their website--nothing for men at all.

Dust8 writes
    as an amazing transporting smell, which allows me to bend space and time without moving, it's got to be PPH
    Agree totally. I wear it on "ordinary" days to make the earth move :-)

They are both great ones. I have always thought that there must be a shortage of some of the ingredients they used back then, otherwise surely someome would have tried to recreate these scents - a good quality knock off. It may be harder to duplicate a complex scent like these than we think.

I like Patou Pour Homme best of the two because the galbanum and lavender coupled with the patchouli in Prive was just a little too potent and high strung for my taste. I've had two bottles of PPH and one of Prive but my experience was exactly like Aromi's above - never could wear them - the bottles drove me crazy - "sat in my drobe like a shrine-like obsession" - a perfect description of how I felt as well. So I sold them all to others on basenotes so they could enjoy the experience, keeping a small decant for the memory of it.

Does anyone else find it bizarre that the House of Patou should be able to make such superlative male fragrances and discontinue them all. Indeed, Patou no longer makes any male fragrances. A Patou perfumier even designed the great Yohji Homme frag, but that was discontinued. Doesn't anyone at Patou know how to market to the male gender? Is this a paradox or what?

Annoyingly double-posted

No paradox, I guess. Sales figures dictate the next move. The market nose is different from our Basnotes consensus.
    All my acquaintances in real life find Prive very shallow, old-fashioned and similar to supermarket colognes.

I've only tried Patou Pour Homme and while I think many Basenoters- both young and old- would dig it if it was rereleased, it would leave many average consumers cold. I think part of its appeal is that it was a mainstream kind of fragrance that was remarkably well done and sophisticated beyond its price point. Heads and shoulders above the usual department store fare. But it must not have sold very well. Maybe it had a poor distribution system. I don't know.

I've dabbled in scents for years and never heard of it till I came here.

Never tried the Prive, but I have a large bottle of the original from years back and I agree it's a shame they never reintroduced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    No paradox, I guess. Sales figures dictate the next move. The market nose is different from our Basnotes consensus.
    All my acquaintances in real life find Prive very shallow, old-fashioned and similar to supermarket colognes.
    You need new acquaintances .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    And how!

Prive...wow...an ideal.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I know you're kidding, but hell no! I'll never dump my acquaintances for such a reason. It's only perfume... and I wear it for me and my hedonist pleasures.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    I know you're kidding, but hell no! I'll never dump my acquaintances for such a reason. It's only perfume... and I wear it for me and my hedonist pleasures.
    It's no secret I love Pour Homme and to a lesser degree, Prive. Out of the people I had smell it, no one "got it" except my Grandson, of all people, who was around 9 at the time. ( He really is a budding Perfumisto).

I believe Patou PH is truly appreciated by folks like us.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I believe Patou PH is truly appreciated by folks like us.
    True. I guess PPH was never a popular frag, even in France. A full 90ml spray bottle of PPH sold on French ebay for £32 today...with a single bid http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_500wt_1156

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    True. I guess PPH was never a popular frag, even in France. A full 90ml spray bottle of PPH sold on French ebay for £32 today...with a single bid http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_500wt_1156
    Gosh....that is almost unbelievable....that's like 90% discount on the current market value.....

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    What the hell is wrong with those Frenchmen?

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    When a bottle of juice becomes an act of worship, it's time for me to kick it to the curb.
    OR when ANYTHING becomes an object of worship,
    it's time to jerk it down off that pedestal & wear it out.
    Sort of like what I'm doing with PPH all week. Don't wag the dog.