Code of Conduct

Default Parfum de Therese- worth trying?

I"m tryign to decide if it is worth it to buy a sample of parfum de Therese. I'm a big fan of Mitsouko and the Caron chypres, would I like this? I'm worried about the vetiver and leather in the base- these tend not to work for me. does anyone know if they are overpowering in this fragrance?

Thanks!
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Default Re: Parfum de Therese- worth trying?

As someone who chose a nom de plume based on Le Parfum de Therese, I feel able to address with passion your question. If you love the work of Edmond Roudnitska, you will love Le Parfum. The leather is the signature leather note in all his fragrances, hardly dominant. All notes play well together here. The vetiver is very tame.
    I discovered Le Parfum by accident. I went to the FM store in Paris, shortly after it opened. When I sniffed Le Parfum, I became teary and told the SA that it smelled like my grandmother. She asked what fragrances my grandmother wore. I mentioned Miss Dior, and the SA smiled. And so I learned about M. Roudnitska.
    Do try it.

Therese, I belive I shall!
    And if anyone else can comment on this, please do. Thanks!

I tried it and liked it, but wasn't wowed. It doesn't move me like some Malle fragrances do. I found it a transparent, limpid green chypre. It is not leathery to my nose and I don't remember any vetiver, but it is on the dry side. I think the Miss Dior comparison is a good, but Therese is more modern-smelling in a way I can't quite describe.

Hillaire

I find it a tad closer to Chant d'Aromes than Diorella -- the other Roudnitska it is usually compared to. I prefer it to both of those. Like Galamb, I think it has an undeniably modern "quality"... maybe an aldehyde compound I don't recall "smelling around" befor the nineties. That sparkly effect that Sublime has, perhaps? My theory has always been that it must have been retooled before its legendary "revival" by house of Malle. But not, I suspect, to its detriment. It's very very good.

It's ceratinly worth trying, like any Malle ...or any Guerain ...or any Caron...
    Last edited by Hillaire; 3rd May 2010 at 01:48 AM.

Of course it's worth trying, like any fragrance by Edmond Roudnitska (by the way, just saying: Miss Dior was composed by Jean Carles and Paul Vacher, the only pre-Poison era Dior not done by Roudnitska). And all the more since it's probably the least butchered Roudnitska on the market. The leather and vetiver effects are very delicate: this is a gorgeous, sparkling mandarin and melon (NOT aquatic) wrapping an expansive jasmine.
    Le Parfum de Thérèse is, to me, up there in perfume masterpiece heaven: just wearing it makes me happy.

I adore Therese. For me strangely I got more of the Femme I remember as a teenager in the 70's. The faint stewed plum/prune note that always made me love and think Femme(I cannot stand the 1989+ version which these notes are overwhelmed by the cumin). The leather is beautifully smooth in the vein of Chanel Cuir de Russe. Therese is a complex mix with hints of great classics but totally her own self. You cannot point and say its a copy of this or a copy of that. You understand the same nose created Therese and the others you get peeping out of it. Like a rock fan will know oh that is Hendrix or Clapton playing it has its own individual self but somewhere in the mists of time they learnt from someone.

Therese is sublime.
    DONNA

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by carmencanada View Post
    Of course it's worth trying, like any fragrance by Edmond Roudnitska (by the way, just saying: Miss Dior was composed by Jean Carles and Paul Vacher, the only pre-Poison era Dior not done by Roudnitska).
    Paul Vacher created the divine Diorling
    Guy Robert created Dioressence

Oh dear. I really shouldn't reply to threads before my fifth coffee.
    As an aside, the current Dioressence is to be avoided at all costs: it hasn't been tweaked -- it's not even the same formula as the original. The current Diorling is decent enough, but the vintage is well worth seeking out.

Thanks again, I"ve been eyeing this scent for a long time, just haven't gotten around to it. I love trying noteworthy chypres, though.
    This will certainly be included on my next round from TPC!