Code of Conduct

Default Caron Tubereuse?

I love tuberose, and the little I've heard on Caron's has been mostly good. There seems to be a boutique-exclusive parfum, which gets most of the attention, and an eau de parfum whose release is so limited only one place, in London, sells it.

Has anyone here tried this? If so, did you like it? What tuberose fragrance would you say it's closest to?

Thanks so much in advance.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 3rd May 2010 at 02:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Caron Tubereuse?

Galamb_Borong; As you know I have a bottle of Mahora on it's way and since it is a Tuberose rich fragrance I will send you a PM with a full report as soon as I can. I have the EDP coming. If you get a chance to try the Caron Tubereuse please send me a message with your thoughts as I would be interested. It appears we both have a liking for Tuberose and I enjoy Frangipani also.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I love tuberose, and the little I've heard on Caron's has been mostly good. There seems to be a boutique-exclusive parfum, which gets most of the attention, and an eau de parfum whose release is so limited only one place, in London, sells it.

Has anyone here tried this? If so, did you like it? What tuberose fragrance would you say it's closest to?

Thanks so much in advance.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 3rd May 2010 at 02:44 AM.

Galamb are you on a Caron kick lately? (I am too, BTW!)
    This is one I haven't tried yet; it sounds too floral and hasn't caught my attention. let me know what you think if you get it
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Basenotes Institution

I have heard very good things about Tubereuse by Caron - I will eventually sample. I also heard Annick Goutal's Tubereuse is wonderful but hard to come by 'this side of the pond' . I think I saw some on Ebay though.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Acaciosa revived my interest in this line, for sure! Tubereuse I've been curious about for a while now... I've only heard good things, but despite large amounts of tuberose lovers, and any number of Caron fans, not much is said about it.

Basenotes Institution

Some worthy reviews on Caron's Tubereuse- the ones I generally 'torture' myself with *LOL*

http://pinkmanhattan.blogspot.com/20...-tubreuse.html

http://www.eiderdownpress.com/Parfum...Tubereuse.html

http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20..._tubreuse.html

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...03_perfum.html

and Annick Goutal's Tubereuse....... I forgot- it's now at Luckyscent !

Ummmm...this is probably my favorite tuberose! And that's saying A LOT! Caron's Tubereuse is a velvety, peachy, candied (not sweet!), smooth and distinctly Caron-esque. Think of it as a Nahema-inspired tuberose; thick, fruity (not much), unique, buttery...and the word I keep on coming back to is velvety. I haven't tried any other tuberose quite like it. The closest is probably L'artisan's now discontinued Tubereuse, but that one is buttery, buttery and buttery. Although they don't smell the same at all, Feminite de Bois has a similiar vibe to Caron's Tubereuse. FdB's cedar is velvety (OK I'm sounding like a broken record ) and smooth; Caron does the same treatment to tuberose in this case. Highly, highly, highly, highly recommended. FYI: I'm talking about the parfum concentration (which is huge in sillage and lasts forever), although the EDP is very close but I found not as "lush".)

As for AG's Tubereuse, it's probably the rawest, most natural-smelling tuberose I've ever smelt. Would probably conquer Carnal Flower in second place, but (I'm guessing here), due to the high amount of natural used, doesn't last long. Also, highly recommended.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Ummmm...this is probably my favorite tuberose! And that's saying A LOT! Caron's Tubereuse is a velvety, peachy, candied (not sweet!), smooth and distinctly Caron-esque. Think of it as a Nahema-inspired tuberose; thick, fruity (not much), unique, buttery...and the word I keep on coming back to is velvety. I haven't tried any other tuberose quite like it. The closest is probably L'artisan's now discontinued Tubereuse, but that one is buttery, buttery and buttery. Although they don't smell the same at all, Feminite de Bois has a similiar vibe to Caron's Tubereuse. FdB's cedar is velvety (OK I'm sounding like a broken record ) and smooth; Caron does the same treatment to tuberose in this case. Highly, highly, highly, highly recommended. FYI: I'm talking about the parfum concentration (which is huge in sillage and lasts forever), although the EDP is very close but I found not as "lush".)

As for AG's Tubereuse, it's probably the rawest, most natural-smelling tuberose I've ever smelt. Would probably conquer Carnal Flower in second place, but (I'm guessing here), due to the high amount of natural used, doesn't last long. Also, highly recommended.
    Thanks scent for your great thoughts and review - Caron Tubereuse is sounding better and better !

I took the plunge and bought a large decant from TPC ( they're having a Caron parfum sale now, for those interested - competitive prices given that Caron sells the same amount for three times the price, and no, no affiliation here ). I'll be reporting back as soon as it arrives!

Well, it arrived! I wrote an in-depth review over here. What an odd beast this is. I must say the only review I've read that matches my feelings is The Scented Salamander one. The Lady Macbeth of tuberoses is perfect description.

Listed Notes: tuberose, jasmine, a touch of acidity, freesia.

Actual notes: tuberose, witch hazel, a touch of malevolence, fear.

Try it. No promises that a house won't fall on you, though...
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 27th May 2010 at 06:03 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Well, it arrived! I wrote an in-depth review over here. What an odd beast this is. I must say the only review I've read that matches my feelings is The Scented Salamander one. The Lady Macbeth of tuberoses is perfect description.

Listed Notes: tuberose, jasmine, a touch of acidity, freesia.

Actual notes: tuberose, witch hazel, a touch of malevolence, fear.

Try it. No promises that a house won't fall on you, though...
    Sounds good to me Suga ! I've read on various sites that some people consider this Caron their HG tuberose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Sounds good to me Suga ! I've read on various sites that some people consider this Caron their HG tuberose.
    I can easily imagine this being just right for a certain kind of person. There is nothing else like it among the tuberoses I've experienced ( I tried the L'Artisan Tuberose a while ago found it kind of soft and pretty, though I've yet to try the Goutal ).

Basenotes Institution

Profumum's Tuberosa is excellent too Suga . Just gorgeous creamy tuberose.I've not tried the AG either .

Giving this a second go on skin today, I definitely want to bump this thread. Tuberose and I are no friends, in fact, I have shied away from it. It is to my nose a note that is usually very loud and screaming that I can't see myself wearing with confidence. I also think, therefore, I am able to pick out tuberose in a composition fairly easily. This summer I came to wear Carnal Flower once with great joy, but in the end, coconut coming in at a later stage is not my style. I have also come to dislike Ropion's clean bases.
    So, here I am in awe with Caron's take 'Tubereuse'. Sugandaraja, I love your review in the directory... eldritch, somber, saturnine... I also think that the infamous Caron base is in here in its redux concentration (geranium?). Wonderful! Quieter, with a rather spicy touch, sophisticated, alluring and mysterious with a truly 'eldritch' (learned a new word today! Love it ) vibe. Count me in as big fan and I'm serious, this going to be an aspirant for addition to my wardrobe!

Glad you're enjoying it, Larimar! I used to own this one, but all my Carons went on walkabout last year ( part of a sample package send-around ) and never came home. I've been enjoying the sample you sent.

I have come to appreciate this one more and more each time I try it. It's still not an all-the-time tuberose, but it's easily the most interesting I know and surprisingly, a compliment getter ( I've gotten two compliments on it here, rather unexpectedly given its ''difficult'' nature ).

I know what you mean about Carnal Flower. It's a glorious scent, and the top notes are perfection, but it isn't complex and the base winds up a little bland, though still beautiful. I love it but it's never quite all that I want it to be.

I still don't smell the peach note many smell in this. When I think peachy tuberose, I think Peche Cardinal, Beyond Love, PC Tuberose Gardenia, even a little bit in Fracas, but the Caron has a greener bent, almost a little sudsy. I know there was a Fracas Pour Homme that smelled nothing like Fracas, but if Piguet paired things like Amouage does, with noticeable links between their men's and women's, I could easily see Caron Tubereuse being something akin to Fracas Pour Homme if someone added a pinch of lavender or the like.

As it is, I hope either my Tubereuse returns from its journeys or that I get the opportunity to buy it again.

No peach here either. I think you describe it spot-on and I can also see this as a compliment getter because of its nature and mood. Part of my love for Caron is their androgynous approach for most of their creations.
    I just realized the other day that the Caron website actually divides into Perfumes pour Femme, pour Homme and then there is Haute Parfumerie (the fountain extraits). I think that is perfectly accurate in light of a marketing approach (not that we really cared).

bump for a great thread.

I just picked up 50ml of the parfum extrait.

Coincidentally scent was with me.

One word describe to describe it, ok two words: rubbery-indolic.

its intense.

for swap/sale:

Good to hear, hedonist!
    Still don't own it, but haven't forgotten it. Maybe next summer in Paris???