Code of Conduct

Default Thierry Mugler quits fashion, lauches new perfume "Womanity"

In an interview to the NYTimes, Thierry Mugler says he has quit the fashion industry because he's "had enough" and is now dedicating himself to perfume. His new creation will be called "Womanity" which is described by the NYTimes as "a commingling of figs and caviar, a sweet-salty combination as treacly as a chocolate-covered pretzel."

It's a rather frightening name...
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Default Re: Thierry Mugler quits fashion, lauches new perfume "Womanity"

Everything about it sounds bad.

Wouldn't mind if I'd be the last person who sniffs it.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Figs and caviar -- what the hell? That sounds disgusting. (And I LIKE both figs and caviar!)

could work I suppose. Sort of a sweet fruity salty thing.
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

But with FISH notes!

One of the worst fragrance names I have heard lately!

The whole thing sounds like something created by someone who doesn't know (or like) women very well. It sounds unappealing, at the very least!
    Last edited by Nymphaea; 3rd May 2010 at 09:24 PM.

Yawn. Honestly, I find him so repulsive and narcissistic that I wouldn't touch "his" (like he did all the work himself...) perfumes even if he paid me. Just out of principle I will stay as far away from them as possible.

I just love how awful everything about this is.

Womanity! Achieve that aura of feminine perfection once only attainable by manatees with a saccharine sweet ode to fish roe. Don your warrioress helmet, and do battle with all notions of smelling good!

Blog Entries

this could either result in him pumping out a bunch of great frags...or the occasional good one with piss poor ones in between.

Thierry Mugler quit fashion at least eight years ago. But I wouldn't discount the new fragrance. Though I loathe Angel and I'm not crazy for Alien, the Miroir des VanitÚs collection was excellent, and Womanity was art directed by the same person, Pierre Aulas (who's got his own line, Ego Facto).
    I agree the notes to Womanity sound repellent but I doubt they'll smell of fish. I'll be finding out more on Wednesday when I get to smell it... Will report back here or on my blog.
    Last edited by carmencanada; 3rd May 2010 at 09:27 PM.

If he wants to do a funky scent, I think Etat Libre d'Orange has beaten him to it with their Secretions Magnifique. Next!
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    If he wants to do a funky scent, I think Etat Libre d'Orange has beaten him to it with their Secretions Magnifique. Next!
    Yes, but then there is that step to also make the "masses" consume such a funky concept.
    To actually sell fishy smell to women - presented in the form of pink fluid.

Im curious how this will actually smell, and how the common beauty-journalists will recive it.
    (My personal hopes of this cent are not existing at this moment, I might be in for a suprise.)

Galamb_boreng, bwah! That was magnificent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carmencanada View Post
    Thierry Mugler quit fashion at least eight years ago. But I wouldn't discount the new fragrance. Though I loathe Angel and I'm not crazy for Alien, the Miroir des VanitÚs collection was excellent, and Womanity was art directed by the same person, Pierre Aulas (who's got his own line, Ego Facto).
    I agree the notes to Womanity sound repellent but I doubt they'll smell of fish. I'll be finding out more on Wednesday when I get to smell it... Will report back here or on my blog.
    Thanks - looking forward to your findings. I don't discount Mugler, either. His fragrances seem to have the power to win over initial critics, which is very interesting in and of itself. I've come around to multiple Mugler frags. He has generally known just how far to "push", artistically, and seems to have surrounded himself with people who interpret his creative craziness well. Not surprised to learn that he's involved with the "Zumanity" show. The bizarro helmet is par for the course - prior headdresses on his models included aliens, futuristic humanoids, and other WTFania. So I don't see this as much weirder than his earlier stuff. Maybe even less weird. Kenzo Power got early buzz for its savory aspects as much as the floral parts - perhaps he has a new take on gourmand that works. But then again, perhaps not.

Always controversial. I expect there to be as many haters as Angel - maybe more. Nobody like Thierry Mugler to liven things up!

"Oh, the womanity"... zeppelins exploding...
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution

1. I love chocolate covered pretzels
    2. The bottle is really ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    The whole thing sounds like something created by someone who doesn't know (or like) women very well. It sounds unappealing, at the very least!
    ZING! in a weird way it makes sense although most other designers happen to make nice stuffs for women w/o liking them.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    1. I love chocolate covered pretzels
    2. The bottle is really ugly

that is one really ugly bottle! that face gives me the creeps! is it gonna turn me into manfred mugler? nooooooooooooooooooo

I've just smelled Womanity and can relievedly report back that it doesn't smell fishy at all. In fact I've smelled the caviar accord used in the fragrance and it's salty, a bit leathery and slightly animalic. Here's a preliminary report. I'll be posting a full review soon on Grain de Musc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carmencanada View Post
    I've just smelled Womanity and can relievedly report back that it doesn't smell fishy at all. In fact I've smelled the caviar accord used in the fragrance and it's salty, a bit leathery and slightly animalic. Here's a preliminary report. I'll be posting a full review soon on Grain de Musc.
    Thanks for the early report! Fascinating that they presented the caviar accord by itself - a smart move, which clearly answers the doubts which such a strange accord is going to raise. The similarity to ambergris is very encouraging, too. Looking forward to hearing the full report.

I honestly can't believe they're publicizing a fish eggs note. I can't believe it.

I'm still curious about the fragrance but for now, it's disaster in the making.

Review is up at Now Smell This. Unsurprisingly, it's not as bizarre as the notes and early buzz would have you believe - sounds downright inoffensive and pleasant, in fact. Mugler is a mainstream fragrance house, after all, I doubt that they believe women want to smell like fishy saltwater.

Am I the only one who loves the bottle?
    Last edited by subhuman85; 31st May 2010 at 10:48 PM.

A friend is an sa for Mugler and she has a bottle for awhile now. I did get the chance to sniff a few weeks back. Fig not sweet sugared but more like the real fresh fruit and no fish eggs came out on me.

Debenhams in the UK is getting the exclusive on this in late August.

Oh my friend says its said as 'WO man EE'.
    Last edited by donna255; 1st June 2010 at 07:12 AM.
    DONNA

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    "Oh, the womanity"... zeppelins exploding...
    LMAO!
    The Hindenberg of perfumes. Sounds like something that might crash and burn, too. Figs and caviar. Blecch!

It does sound nauseating, but I'm cery curious about it and looking forward to a sniff. And it's my understnading that there's a saltiness from the caviar, but mercifully no fishiness.

I love the bottle too, subhuman85, but I'm sort of a sucker for a cool bottle. That alone makes me want to like this, despite the awkward and sort of cheesy name.

I'm a bit dissapointed with the name of the fragrance. To me, it doesn't sound nor intriguing nor mystic at all. Just weird. But weird in a boring way... Sincerely, I expected some astral, maybe a bit eery, mythological creature or symbol, but what I get was some undefined allusion of feminity or woman community. Or something third. Whatever. I'm confused.

But, I strongly believe that no Mugler fragrance can be anything less than extraordinary. I adore almost all of his fragrances. And I adore whole mystic mugler-world. So, I'll give him a chance to impress me one more time.

Has more people tried this? I've heard it's a little unisex and strange smelling. Im looking forward to checking it out. And I think the ugly bottle is cool as heck!
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

I'm looking forward to taking a sniff soon. I don't get the chains on the bottle, though. What are those supposed to represent?

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I'm looking forward to taking a sniff soon. I don't get the chains on the bottle, though. What are those supposed to represent?
    I think the chain for the cap just looks really cool.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    According to one site I read, "Every part of the fragrance symbolizes something greater. For example, the chain that connected the bottle to the spray is suppose to symbolize unity."

I finally got my sample, too. I liked it enough from the cardboard sniffer to want to try it on skin, but it didn't surprise me the way I'd hoped. I actually think I got a whiff of the Alien base in the drydown which was the most interesting aspect, but I'm still hoping a generous squirt from a bottle will provide a richer experience.

Well,I tried it,and agree it's not as weird as it sounds(I can really go for weird!)and it is quite boring.The caviar note was salty on me,not fishy.I love a salty fragrance,but this to me was a surprisingly dull fruity-floral-aquatic type thing.And not at all unisex to my nose.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 21st August 2010 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I think the chain for the cap just looks really cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    According to one site I read, "Every part of the fragrance symbolizes something greater. For example, the chain that connected the bottle to the spray is suppose to symbolize unity."
    Well, I guess I can see it as a style statement, or a connecting symbol. But the first thing that came to my mind was the old Tears for Fears song Woman in Chains, which is a sad song. I guess it's just my mood lately. (sorry!). Still, I look forward to anything Thierry Mugler.

Adding several hours later...I just came back from the grocery store and Woman in Chains was playing. Now it's stuck in my head.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 21st August 2010 at 06:26 PM.

Sniffed it this week. "Didn't hate it," if you see what I mean. Thought fig had been done to death, but to his credit the salty accord presents a novel and not unpleasant interpretation. Nice enough, in fact.

Bottle is not to my taste -- I'd call it ugly -- but has at least had some thought put into its design.

Longevity is immense. For me, the woody drydown is the least enjoyable part.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Awaiting my sample from TM. I'm down for fig notes, as for caviar, that's not my bag, but in a fragrance it could be interesting!

Perhaps the men's version will be 'Manatee'. Fish notes would be appropriate.
    Le Mentaliste Magnifique