Code of Conduct

Default Cool Water alternative?

I am looking for a summer scent that is suitable for an office environment. I like Cool Water; but it's opening notes smell rancid on my skin. Azzaro Chrome is a bit too sweet and youthful for me (I am in my 40's). Versace Pour Homme is much too sweet. Any recommendation for a Cool Water alternative? I'd like to stay with designer scents so to keep cost low.

By the way, I really like Guerlian Vertiver, just perfect for my needs except that it does not last long on my skin.

Many Thanks.
    Last edited by dikliu; 3rd May 2010 at 05:41 PM.

Default Re: Cool Water alternative?

I turn 45 this Saturday, so I guess we're both close in age. I love my Chrome and Cool Water Frozen, which is pretty similar to the original Cool Water. There are so many things that I could recommend, since you haven't really specifed what type of fragrance you want. I guess I could do a breakdown and make recommendations for each:

Aquatic: Givenchy Blue Label, Nautica Oceans

Citrus: Kenneth Cole Reaction, Escada Sunset Heat, Paul Smith Extreme

Green: 212 by Herrera, Mugler

dikliu,

Welcome to BNs and I think I can help you here !

Canali Black Diamond
    Givenchy Blue Label
    Truffet & Hill Freshman
    Lanvin L'homme Sport

Good luck !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Thanks, BradW and Surfacing. As you can tell, I am an newbie and am still trying to figure out what I like. That's two votes for Givenchy Blue Label, and I will give it a try. By the way, I neglected to mention that I am a college teacher and work with grown-ups and professionals; so, I can't smell as if I am out to pick up girls.

No problem. Good on you for staying classy. I think the recs above ( from Brad as well) will be pretty suitable for your work environment. I think being a college teacher seems like a pretty cool profession. Although, maybe job security is not the best ( but really, what job does these days ?). What do you teach ? Seems like a great working environment.

Oh, and I can add to the recs : Chanel Platinum Egoiste. I dislike Chanel as a house ( for mens scents). But PS is pretty decent ( with really nice longevity).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

green irish tweed if you got the cash

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    No problem. Good on you for staying classy. I think the recs above ( from Brad as well) will be pretty suitable for your work environment. I think being a college teacher seems like a pretty cool profession. Although, maybe job security is not the best ( but really, what job does these days ?). What do you teach ? Seems like a great working environment.

Oh, and I can add to the recs : Chanel Platinum Egoiste. I dislike Chanel as a house ( for mens scents). But PS is pretty decent ( with really nice longevity).
    Thanks, Surfacing. I teach mostly art, art history, etc. It can be a fun job when the students think independently and creatively. Otherwise, it's just a job.

I just bought a sample of Givenchy Blue Label as per yours and Brad's recommendation.

Glad to be of help. Let us know if Givenchy Blue Label is the answer you're looking for. I've had my bottle for quite awhile now. I believe I started off by wearing some Blue Label from a sample towelette to work. One of my coworkers was like, "Wow Brad, you smell good." I think that was when I knew that I should get a large bottle. I like aquatics in general, but I think Blue Label is one of the better ones. I don't see it as being too common. If, for some reason, Blue Label isn't quite right for you, I would love to make other recommendations. I do realize, however, that not everyone wants to own full bottles of cologne that don't get used. I do believe that Blue Label is a versatile aquatic and is certainly a good starting point.

Thanks for your input, BradW. I tried on a sample of Givenchy Blue Label yesterday. Beautiful scent! The only issue is that, to my nose, it smells too much like Acqua Di Gio, which is very popular with the twenty something crowd here in NYC. Perhaps that’s just the nature of aquatic scents?

If I were to go a different route - as I mentioned I like Guerlaiin Vetiver although it does not last on my skin - is there another vetiver or grassy (for lack of a better word) that you would recommend as a summer scent? Thanks for your time.

I understand why you like guerlain vetiver. it's a cold blooded professional devoid of emotion.

I'm mentioning it a lot (no one else does) but I think you would like Kenzo Pour Homme. I think it's one of the most mature aquatics out there.
    l'eau par kenzo is a safer scent but it may not last as long as you would like.

I would also suggest l'occitane's the vert. It's inoffensive, interesting and refreshing.

I'm a bit suprised that you find Blue Label similar to Aqua di Gio. There are many aquatics that you could try, some are more similar to AdG than others. However, as far as greener scents go, there are some great ones out there as well. I mentioned 212 by Carolina Herrera earlier. I would defininetly recommend you give that one a try if possible. Yesterday, I received a bottle of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver in the mail. It was a tester that I got off ebay for 58 dollars. I was watching a couple of Youtube videos on spring scents, and both guys had it on their list. It's basically described as a vetiver scent for people that don't normally like vetiver. Tom Ford Samples are probably more difficult to get than Givenchy, so you may have to either chance a blind buy, or skip it altogether. The other green scent I mentioned before was Mugler. It has a soapy vibe to it. Some say it reminds them of Irish Spring. Samples of it are available, and I would recommend giving it a shot.

I still believe that there are aquatics out there that you could try that are unique enough that shouldn't get you lost in the AdG shuffle. Other great ones besides Blue Label: Nautica Oceans, Zegna Z, and Hummer H2. But if you decide to explore the greens, definitely consider 212, Mugler, and Grey Vetiver.

Blog Entries

I concur with the 212 Recommendation. Mugler Cologne may be another option. Its got the vetiver accord mixed a soapy accord. It smells really clean. If you want to go further down the clean route, give Gendarme a try. It's the cleanest smelling frag I've smelled, and it is very professional IMO.

I too was a Cool Water fan, and I love all three of these.

I've never tried a Gendarme frag, but it might be fun to sample them. In fact, I think I saw samples on the Gendarme website. I've been researching these frags though. It seems that Gendarme smells great, but has short longitivity. In fact, it appears that some of the Gendarmes are mixed with green accords, so Gendarme Green and Gendarme V may be worth trying as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I've never tried a Gendarme frag, but it might be fun to sample them. In fact, I think I saw samples on the Gendarme website. I've been researching these frags though. It seems that Gendarme smells great, but has short longitivity. In fact, it appears that some of the Gendarmes are mixed with green accords, so Gendarme Green and Gendarme V may be worth trying as well.
    I personally haven't had any longevity problems with Gendarme, but most frags last on me (just really lucky I guess). I have and love the original, and have tried Green. It was nice, and may suit the OP's tastes better than the original. But I prefer the original. I need to break down and order those samples off of Gendarme's website too. I really want to try Sky.

Sur la Plage

Welcome to Basenotes!

I would recommend trying the following:

Aramis New West for Him
    Hugh Parsons (Blue)
    Guy Laroche Horizon
    L'Occitane Vetyver
    Last edited by petruccijc; 8th May 2010 at 01:30 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'm guessing that Gendarme Green may be a bit more popular if it came with better size options. Imagine if every frag was either a 6 ounce bottle or a 1 ml vial.

Quote Originally Posted by dikliu View Post
    as I mentioned I like Guerlaiin Vetiver although it does not last on my skin - is there another vetiver or grassy (for lack of a better word) that you would recommend as a summer scent? Thanks for your time.
    I recommend that you track down Commes des Garcon Vettiveru.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by dikliu View Post
    is there another vetiver or grassy (for lack of a better word) that you would recommend as a summer scent? Thanks for your time.
    Hi!

Give Encre Noire by Lalique a sniff. Full of vetiver and wood. Opens rather brightly, almost fresh, then settles into a darker inky scent. Doesn't have that dull-ish tobacco and citrus accord that is in Guerlain vetiver though.
    Last edited by MFJ; 8th May 2010 at 07:38 AM.

Thanks, everyone, for your many helpful suggestions.

BradW, I think that, to me, Givenchy Blue Label smells like Acqua Di Gio because my nose is not that developed! Saripatates suggested Kenzo Pour Homme as a "mature" aquatic and I just ordered a sample of it and will give it a try.

I looked into the 212 you recommended, but can't find just a sample of it. The same is true of Encre Noire that Matthewfoo recommended. So, I will either have to try them in a store or just blind buy them. How do they compare? I am really looking for a summer scent for a hot NYC day. Would they both suffice for that purpose?

212 is clean fresh and sterile, much more so than guerlain vetiver. it's also overused (depends on location I guess) but it would be rare to see anyone object to it.

encre noire on the other hand, is nothing like that. It's a very different take on vetiver, very mature. It's warm and cool at the same time. It may not be as safe as the other options, nor it is totally devoid of sexiness (charismatic sexy instead of animal sexy) but definitely give it a try.

Although I may be biased because it's my latest purchase.

I don't know if 212 is available as a sample, but it is available as a mini. I own a mini myself. I usually feel good wearing 212 because I know that it's gotten me compliments in the past. One coworker once asked me if I was wearing Tommy. Can't say if 212 and Tommy are that similar, I just know that I like it and others seem to like it.

Saripalates and BradW, I just bought a mini each of 212 and Encre Noire. Hopefully, one of them will fit the bill. Thanks.

Please let me know your verdict. I was reading up on Encre Noire. Based on the reviews, it sounded kinda odd.

BradW,

Samples of the Kenzo, 212, and Encre Noire arrived today. The Kenzo's vial arrived almost empty (!). So, I will need another sample. The 212 is fresh and grassy, and remains so nearly eight hours later. I can see why you recommend it as a summer scent. Encre Noire smells, at least to my inexperienced nose, unusual. It's nothing like Guerlain's Vetiver. Encre Noire started out smelling like fresh wood and mossy and the vetiver is a bit smoky with very little sweetness, and it remains so eight hours later and is now just a bit more musky. It smells serious and business-like and professional, as if King Tut had just put on a suit for a desk job. Not sure if it is really a summer scent. Not sure if I love it either although I do find it strangely appealing; but it just might be what I am looking for.

Dependent

Thanks for the update! I enjoyed reading your impressions, of Encre Noire especially. You are right, it is almost devoid of sweetness.

Good to hear back from you dikliu! Glad that the 212 was something that you appreciated. I once had a mini of Kenzo Pour
    Homme. I was never that impressed by it. I also have a sample of L'eau par Kenzo that I enjoy a bit more. My mini of Kenzo
    Pour Homme was made of plastic, so it may have leaked as well. Not sure if it's worth chancing another sample of Kenzo, but it you get it, I'd like to hear your take on it. I still think Nautica Oceans or Mugler.

I like what you think about encre noire. I thought you would find it strange, but if you can get to like it, I think it will be perfect for you as well.

Maybe Lalique should take note here and do a whole collection of frags with a King Tut motiff. How about King Tut in a t-shirt, pajamas, a swimsuit, or
    sweater vest?

How about Eau Sauvage - Dior, Acqua di Selva or good old fashioned 4711? All are good summer scents.

Try YSL Pour Homme. It's not similar to Cool Water, but it is fresh and lasts a really long time. Very lemony!