Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Chanel Egosite (discontinued) ???

Almost every single non-niche cologne, I find abundant on Ebay and other online vendors. Egoiste is still being sold, but only in Bloomingdales (or maybe a handful of others), and I never pay retail price for cologne.

I see plenty of Plat. Egoiste for sale, but I really don't like that one as much as the original Egoiste.

Is it being discontinued or is it in short supply?

Banned

Default Re: Chanel Egosite (discontinued) ???

I don't think it is going to be discontinued. Probably it's not compatible with the taste of the masses and therefore not sold everywhere you would like to get it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Then, I truly believe it is in short supply (as it is not available anywhere on Ebay).

It's abundantly available on Amazon.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    It's abundantly available on Amazon.
    Amazon is notorious for inadvertently selling fakes though.

$75 shipped on Chanel.com
    You are going to have a very hard time finding it below retail. Chanel keeps a tight hold on their distribution, so only the most popular frags show up on the grey market.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Saw it at Century 21 in NYC's lower Manhattan.

Chanel has mysterious (to us) marketing strategies and their fragrance outlets are very carefully controlled, probably more carefully than any other house. I don't think Egoiste has ever had a mass following outside France so they aren't pushing it in U.S. stores the way they do Allure, PE, and Bleu. My impression is that they work very hard to keep Chanel out of gray market channels and pull anything that might turn into an overstock and thus wind up discounted on the internet. This might also be the reason the original Pour Monsieur is no longer available in the U.S.

Every fragrance is either being discontinued or reformulated if you believe the hysteria of basenotes

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    Thanks. This is actually much more affordable than most retail copies.

Basenotes Member

i just ordered egoiste from chanel.com, and received it the other day. im extremely happy with it and the whole chanel.com experience.except for the shipping charge which was $9.95 and that was the cheapest option.

Egoiste seems pretty scarce in the UK. I've checked a few Chanel sellers, and they all have the Platinum but not the original - it's listed on the Chanel UK site, but it doesn't appear to sell fragrances directly.

There appears to be a handful of online sellers, including a few on Amazon, but that appears to be about all.
    Alan

Best bet is to get it at the Chanel boutique or on their online site.

Sur la Plage

I just saw it in Neiman Marcus today.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Banned
    Blog Entries

Most frags I would never pay full price for.

I paid $42 for a 4.2 of Le Male, I wouldn't have paid $80.
    I paid $38 for Acqua Di Gio instead of $75
    But I would easily pay $75 + 10 shipping to smell like Chanel Egoiste.

Blog Entries

I first smelled Chanel at Century 21 in Manhattan, then purchased a bottle from Chanel.com (it came with a black pouch). I don't remember paying any shipping fee.

Chanel has a very strict distribution policy intended to avoid grey market. At the same time, they don't distribute all of the scents in their lines under a unique policy. So, for example, Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree is not available in Argentina, but it is in Brazil, while Egöiste is available in Argentina, but it seems from the OP, not so in the USA.

I once had the chance of talking with a local distributor of Creed about the reason why Bois de Portugal was not available locally; ground for their decision was that they thought that it would not appeal potential buyers. One more example, Mugler's Cologne is not available locally, the distributor decided to stop selling it locally.

So, the answer would be that it hasn't been discontinued, rather that its distribution was either cancelled or limited to certain stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Chanel has a very strict distribution policy intended to avoid grey market. At the same time, they don't distribute all of the scents in their lines under a unique policy. So, for example, Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree is not available in Argentina, but it is in Brazil, while Egöiste is available in Argentina, but it seems from the OP, not so in the USA.
    Egoiste IS available in the U.S. Saw it in Bloomingdales just last night and it is sold in the Chanel boutiques in the U.S. and on the U.S. Chanel website. The outlets are just more limited than for their more popular fragrances which are sold in Macy's, Lord & Taylor, Sephora, and other outlets I have seen locally.

My Nordstrom's has this in stock.....I just saw this today!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Every fragrance is either being discontinued or reformulated if you believe the hysteria of basenotes
    +1.

-You can buy Egoiste at www.strawberrynet.com

Thumbs up Re: Chanel Egosite (discontinued) ???

False rumors i believe, i wish......but just in case on next monday i will get some bottles. Just in case
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I just saw it yesterday at the Nordstrom Ala Moana Center. They've been selling it for a few months now (along with Antaeus). Neiman Marcus here has it as well. And of course the two Chanel boutiques in town.

"Egosite" is most probably discontinued. However, Chanel Egoiste lives on only in Chanel boutiques and select retailers.

It's a company distribution policy, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by vertatre View Post
    I just saw it yesterday at the Nordstrom Ala Moana Center. They've been selling it for a few months now (along with Antaeus). Neiman Marcus here has it as well. And of course the two Chanel boutiques in town.
    Ala Moana! I love that shopping center. The Nordstrom here has Egoiste and Antaeus in stock.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster2010 View Post
    "Egosite" is most probably discontinued. However, Chanel Egoiste lives on only in Chanel boutiques and select retailers.

It's a company distribution policy, that's all.
    Obviously it is not discontinued if it is being sold in a number of stores. If limited distribution meant "discontinued" then many niche brands never actually existed.

Luxury brands hate the idea of ending up in a discount store or on-line. They like to control the whole ambiance in which their products are sold to maintain the illusion of high quality and exclusivity, thus justifying high price. You can't restrict prices or re-selling any more so the only real alternative is to sell only in your own stores and a few trusted outlets who won't dump your stuff into the gray market. Thus the carefully limited distribution, which Chanel manages to an expert degree.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    Obviously it is not discontinued if it is being sold in a number of stores. If limited distribution meant "discontinued" then many niche brands never actually existed.
    Dude, he was just referring to the spelling error!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    Egoiste seems pretty scarce in the UK. I've checked a few Chanel sellers, and they all have the Platinum but not the original - it's listed on the Chanel UK site, but it doesn't appear to sell fragrances directly.
    I've seen it in Selfridge's in London.

I bought my bottle from Direct Cosmetics some years back for like £23 for 50mls. Yes it is the real deal. Superdrug once had the aftershave about 5 years ago.

The UK Chanel website has never had mail order unfortunately.
    DONNA

Never seen it for a good price. Would have to try it thoroughly before spending £70+ on a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post

There appears to be a handful of online sellers, including a few on Amazon, but that appears to be about all.
    Fenwicks dept store in Newcastle sells egoiste along with the exlusifs range.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I've seen it in Selfridge's in London.
    Interesting that they have it in store but not for sale on their web site. Presumably the selected retailers are restricted on how they sell it too - maybe Chanel don't want us scousers getting our hands on it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Never seen it for a good price. Would have to try it thoroughly before spending £70+ on a bottle.
    I've seen a few 4ml samples on eBay UK, which is a good amount for sampling. I got one myself last week - I really like the stuff, and I'll be happy to pay £72 for some (which is the cheapest I've seen the 100ml bottles going for).
    Alan

As others have said, the distribution is wonky but it isn't discontinued. Another Macy's opened up in my town about two months ago and they carry Egoiste, so it certainly isn't just some old stock they still have.

It's not scarce at all. It's part of their "heritage collection" along with Antaeus. Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Saks, and Nordstrom all carry it around here. Distribution is just limited to high-end retailers.

Quite a deal if you ask me.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

I bought 100ml from perfumesclub.co.uk for £60 including shipping a week ago. I blind bought and was worried at the initial notes, but the dry down is very different and I'm pleased with the purchase.

Ive seen it at perfume warehouses here but never for less than $65 and usually testers. All of the places ive been to all have very limited stock of Chanels and they will tell you that they are very hard to get.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by emdia View Post
    I bought 100ml from perfumesclub.co.uk for £60 including shipping a week ago. I blind bought and was worried at the initial notes, but the dry down is very different and I'm pleased with the purchase.
    Out of stock now.
    Alan