Code of Conduct

Wink Women using their boyfriend's fragrance...

Does this sound like a weird idea? Has it ever happened to you to use your boyfriend/husband's fragrance because you liked it so much?

Default Re: Women using their boyfriend's fragrance...

I think lots of women do this! Or buy "masculine" frags for themselves -- supposedly, almost as many women as men wear Eau Sauvage.

Not weird at all. Mine doesn't use fragrance at all, so I buy my own men's fragrances, to wear myself.

In fact, most of my collection is unisex, and of the non-unisex fragrances I tend to own more masculines than feminines. That's changed a bit as I discover more old-fashioned bombshell fragrances - turns out that what I disliked wasn't feminines, but modern feminines. But even so, I don't hesitate about wearing a man's fragrance. Once it hits my skin, it's a woman's fragrance, so there.

One of my friends wears Guerlain Vetiver. I was wearing it one day and she decided that she wanted it, so I bought her a bottle for her birthday. I don't think it ever crossed her mind that it was a "men's" perfume.

One of my friends at university had a blue scarf which he wore all the time, so it probably smelled like his fragrance, I remember when he left school to go on a GAP year she wanted to keep his scarf because it "smelled just like him". Ever done anything like this? Kept an object that smelled like a loved one's fragrance? I think it's a very romantic idea, too bad the perfume comes off with the first wash!

Quote Originally Posted by AGR View Post
    Does this sound like a weird idea? Has it ever happened to you to use your boyfriend/husband's fragrance because you liked it so much?
    I don't go by labels when I buy scent. In fact, my DH uses some of my scents: my Equipage, my Habit Rouge, my Derby...

Some scents marketed to women get taken up by men (such as Jicky) and those intended for men get taken up by women (Parfums D'Orsay's Le Dandy; BTW that the Comte made his own perfume is a marketing myth).

For instance, Guerlain's Eau de Cologne Imperiale was supposedly made for Empress Eugenie, the wife of Napoleon III, and now it's in the men's section.

I urge you to ignore labels.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...t000308&cmCat=
    Last edited by Primrose; 13th May 2010 at 05:09 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I think an article like a T-shirt or scarf that has been worn a lot will smell, not just like the user's cologne, but like the user's actual personal body scent, which is one reason why having one from your beloved is so nice! I know one of my husband's many charms is that he smells GOOD to me -- and he doesn't wear any fragrance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AGR View Post
    One of my friends at university had a blue scarf which he wore all the time, so it probably smelled like his fragrance, I remember when he left school to go on a GAP year she wanted to keep his scarf because it "smelled just like him". Ever done anything like this? Kept an object that smelled like a loved one's fragrance? I think it's a very romantic idea, too bad the perfume comes off with the first wash!
    In bygone times, lovers would exchange handkerchiefs tucked next to their skins as love tokens. The scent of a lover's skin--perfumed or not--was a romantic gift.

The scent of a lover is the sexiest thing in the world!
    Last edited by Primrose; 13th May 2010 at 05:13 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

My husband is now partial to my Tabac Blond ! I don't use his because he only has Tom Ford for men and Gucci for men . ( Though the Gucci for men is wonderful )
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 13th May 2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Spelling...argggh !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I wear many scents marketed for men, but have never adopted hub's fragrance(s). It was he who adopted one of mine: Chanel goste.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Plus

I have a bottle of Roberto Cavalli Black that my girlfriend has pretty much taken over. She has also been known to use Geir, Creed Erolfa and Penhaligon's Endymion.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 14th May 2010 at 06:37 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    I wear many scents marketed for men, but have never adopted hub's fragrance(s). It was he who adopted one of mine: Chanel goste.
    Same here, except the fragrances in question were Habit Rouge and Heritage.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I wear what I like, sometimes my hubby tries something I've bought. But I like quite a lot of 'men's' fragrances.

Apparently, almost as many women as men buy and wear the now classic Cartier Declaration (my SotD!). It really does smell perfectly unisex for whatever reason, though the notes appear decidedly masculine.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 17th May 2010 at 03:50 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    Not weird at all. Mine doesn't use fragrance at all, so I buy my own men's fragrances, to wear myself.

In fact, most of my collection is unisex, and of the non-unisex fragrances I tend to own more masculines than feminines. That's changed a bit as I discover more old-fashioned bombshell fragrances - turns out that what I disliked wasn't feminines, but modern feminines. But even so, I don't hesitate about wearing a man's fragrance. Once it hits my skin, it's a woman's fragrance, so there.
    Me too! It took me a little while to readjust my perceptions of patchouli, which I'd seen as being 'too butch' but now I wear anything, regardless of labels. I'm not a massive fan of florals and never have been, so things like Bulgari Black, Cartier Declaration, Monsieur Balmain, Guerlain Habit Rouge and Heritage are much more likely to find themselves on my skin than anything with Fleurs or Rose or Jasmine in the name. In fact, I prefer most of the Caron masculines to their feminines (with a couple of exceptions) and I'm currently eyeing a bottle of The Third Man. It's glorious.

Oh and you'll find a lot of the gents on here are perfectly happy to splash on a little Mitsouko or Jicky (famously, Sean Connery's favourite fragrance).
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Me too! It took me a little while to readjust my perceptions of patchouli, which I'd seen as being 'too butch' but now I wear anything, regardless of labels. I'm not a massive fan of florals and never have been, so things like Bulgari Black, Cartier Declaration, Monsieur Balmain, Guerlain Habit Rouge and Heritage are much more likely to find themselves on my skin than anything with Fleurs or Rose or Jasmine in the name. In fact, I prefer most of the Caron masculines to their feminines (with a couple of exceptions) and I'm currently eyeing a bottle of The Third Man. It's glorious.

Oh and you'll find a lot of the gents on here are perfectly happy to splash on a little Mitsouko or Jicky (famously, Sean Connery's favourite fragrance).
    I love Le Troisieme Homme. Floral but to too floral. I'd say, "Go for it, girl. Wear it and enjoy."

And I am an Habit Rouge nut--it's one of my standbys.

My wife uses my Bond No 9 West Side, Annick GOutal MAndragore and Leau par Kenzo Pour Homme.
    I use her Agent Provocateur edp, Floris China Rose and Perles by Lalique....
    no boundries in our marriage!!!!!

cheers

Pablo

I don't think fragrances should be labelled male or female. The basic type is enough ,list of notes etc. It's ridiculous to suggest I can't like woody,water,citrus etc or my husband rose,magnolia etc.

Lots of people do it i often use one from my wife`s collection i.e MUKHALLAT

HA! its interesting I can count myself in this group as well... My body loves deep rich scents so I used to wear my ex boyfriends Fahrenheit once in awhile. The leather and cedar seemed to come to the surface and stand out...It was heavenly on me.
    Last edited by Wyllowdaemon; 20th May 2010 at 09:56 PM.

My sister in general use my fragrances, but she uses in general my feminine fragrances (Gloria, to my despair, is one of her faves). But she has already wore some of my masculines that smelled great on her. The best ones were Dior Homme and Chanel Egoiste.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    My wife uses my Bond No 9 West Side, Annick GOutal MAndragore and Leau par Kenzo Pour Homme.
    I use her Agent Provocateur edp, Floris China Rose and Perles by Lalique....
    no boundries in our marriage!!!!!

cheers

Pablo
    Lalique Perles is really a great fragrance to be shared. I still need a bottle of this one

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    I don't think fragrances should be labelled male or female. The basic type is enough ,list of notes etc. It's ridiculous to suggest I can't like woody,water,citrus etc or my husband rose,magnolia etc.
    YES! Absolutely!