Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Out of the Many Emerge the Few. Shaal Nur.

I just ordered another bottle of Shaal Nur by ETRO. While this scent is not classic material it is yet another of a very few fragrances that I can say forms a symbiotic relationship with my skin chemistry and what I like to call a defining fragrance. It is not austentacious or loud but rather unassuming, demure, yet still sophisticated with just enough spice and touch of incense to bespeak refinement and sophistication. In case you have not guessed I really think well of this fragrance. So, if you catch a whiff of Mitsouko or Shaal Nur, look around I might just be in the same room.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Out of the Many Emerge the Few. Shaal Nur.

Am I alone in my adoration of Shaal Nur?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Am I alone in my adoration of Shaal Nur?
    No sirrreee! I just haven't been home all day. :-)

I love Shaal Nur. If there is one fragrance that comes close to being all things to me, it is this fragrance. For one thing, it provides citrus, flowers, herbs & spices, incense, and vetiver, all in a pretty classic bottle. It has presence, but as you say it is modest in its proportions. It's special and I'm glad that you enjoy it, too, N_Tesla! :-)

I love Shaal Nur - I take it along on trips because it's one of the very few fragrances I can bear to wear two days in a row. It does seem to combine a lot of qualities in one juice, but without losing its unique identity. I adore the zing of the citrus, the warmth of the subtle vanilla in the base, and all that passes by in between. I wish Etro hadn't raised its prices so much!
    Last edited by Jardanel; 4th May 2010 at 03:57 PM.

I love Shaal Nur as well. Definitely my favorite Etro and one of my favorite fragrances among the many I own. I love that it can work in any weather or for any occasion. It is definitely unisex.

Basenotes Institution

I have never smelled it.

Coincidence: I read a fragrance blog last week, and Shaal Nuur was mentioned in the same breath as Shalimar Eau Legere by Guerlain and Cologne A La Russe by Institut Tres Bien - both which I love. So, it seems like something I'd enjoy.

Plus you like it N_Tesla.

Blog Entries

Mikeperez23; Mike, you would like Shaal Nur I am certain. Though slightly similar in character to Shalimar you will find it has it's own personality in a very good way. When you try it please send me a note with your thoughts. BTW Etro makes a wonderful Liat Parfume base in this fragrance that makes a good platform on which to spray the EDT thereby enhancing the scents longevity. I have both and quite like them.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have never smelled it.

Coincidence: I read a fragrance blog last week, and Shaal Nuur was mentioned in the same breath as Shalimar Eau Legere by Guerlain and Cologne A La Russe by Institut Tres Bien - both which I love. So, it seems like something I'd enjoy.

Plus you like it N_Tesla.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 5th May 2010 at 03:01 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    ...When you try it please send me a note with your thoughts...
    I will. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    For one thing, it provides citrus, flowers, herbs & spices, incense, and vetiver, all in a pretty classic bottle.
    I adore Shaal Nur too, for the same reason - its multiple sides that emerge on different weather conditions (citruses in spring, incense in summer), excellent longevity with refreshing and well balanced herbal-flower presence, and sheer beauty. Simply beautiful fragrance.

One thing that occurs to me is that the incense note in Shaal Nur closely resembles the one in Eau de Patou. Of course, the incense in Eau de Patou is much more subdued and a little harder to find, coming so late in the drydown. But it's that same soft, teasing, non-stark, non-acrid incense that just adds its pleasant self to the mix.

Basenotes Institution

Smelled this today, for the 1st time, at the Etro boutique in Miami (shopping w/ my family).

Yes it does remind me of Shalimar Eau Legere, without that tart lemon top note. A nice summer oriental. But it didn't wow me, like I expected it to. Maybe I need to test it a 2nd time?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Smelled this today, for the 1st time, at the Etro boutique in Miami (shopping w/ my family).

Yes it does remind me of Shalimar Eau Legere, without that tart lemon top note. A nice summer oriental. But it didn't wow me, like I expected it to. Maybe I need to test it a 2nd time?
    I adore Shalimar Eau Legere, now discontinued. It has been replaced by Eau de Shalimar, a slightly more aquatic version of Eau Legere. Did it flop in the sales and so they stopped producing? I do like the Eau de Shalimar, but much prefer the Eau Legere, which, to me, is heavier on the vanilla.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.