Code of Conduct

Default Parfums de Nicolai - favorites?

I need recs for Parfums de Nicolai! What are your favorites?

I'm really interested in hearing about which masculines from the house are wearable as feminines. Thanks guys!

Default Re: Parfums de Nicolai - favorites?

most.

I dislike none! And I love few.

seriously!

I own and use several bottles. They also come in those cute 30 ml ones, and you can easily collect them. Quite afordable, compared to other niche frags, anyway.

And they have everything, for every taste, natural and great smelling, great quality, lasting power good, everything it just right!
    Last edited by w3pearl; 3rd May 2010 at 06:06 PM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

w3pearl, I love them too! Sacrebleu was my first niche purchase, and I love Le Temps D'Une Fete, even though I've always been repelled by narcissus. I want to expand my collection at some point, and would love recs. What are your favorites? Which do you wear most often? Do you like any of the masculines?

Any info would be so helpful!

Is it true what a review says, that Odalisque (possibly others) changed formula, not for the better?

I am thinkiing of buying one Nicolai blind (I live in a small town, so have to order it) as a gift for a she-friend: what's the Nicolai floral which is both well-done and uncontroversial? Temps d'une Fete perhaps? Thanks.

Hillaire

This is my favorite house, and Odalisque is my favorite Nicolai. I have a third of an ounce left of my old formulation and bought my new formulation of it recently (this year); I am very very very afraid to admit this, as I HATE reformulations, but... If I regard them side-by-side, as two distinct ,five-star scents, I would veer toward the new formulation. It's far less dense and indolic on the one hand, but way greener and way more aldehydic on the other-- which frankly I prefer. I am committed to preserving my bit of pre-reform for posterity, but I will buy the latest Odalisque again and again with pleasure.

My other favorites after Odalisque, in order, are: Number One, LTdUF, Sacrebleu, New York, PH, and Patchouli PH, all of which I consider wholly unisex. If you feel comfortable wearing Chanel PM, you'll go nuts for NY, and if you like modern dry, woody Patchouli scents, Patchouli PH, is the stand out creation of genre. Number One is a very under-appreciated well-heeled, ladylike white floral, chypre, and for the low price, I wonder if why anyone buys Jessica McClintock's swill.

As for my favorites by the perfumer PN, however, I like her creations for MDCI more than anything else she's done. Un Couer en Mai is a lush, seductive, animalic white-floral chypre, that makes me swoon. And Le Rivage des Syrtes can only be described as a Pineapple/Tangerine Oriental Fougere commissioned for the Gods.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 3rd May 2010 at 08:53 PM.

The two I own are Le Temps d'une Fête, a lovely green floral with an ambery drydown, and Odalisque, which has got an intriguing salty note in its white floral bouquet. I own the old formula but I've smelled the new, de-oakmossed one and Patricia de Nicolaï has done a very good job: it's very close to the original, and like Hilaire if I got to the bottom of my current bottle I'd re-purchase.

Sacrebleu (oriental with a candied orange rind note) and New York (boozy chypre) are both highly recommended. I personally don't enjoy Patchouli pour Homme because there's a green capsicum note in it I find too prominent.

Thank you both for your nice answers. We men don't deserve being treated so nicely ( :. Forget the smiley, we really don't.

Carmen, actually Odalisque AND Le Temps d'une Fete are what I'm (blindly) considering as frontrunners for my gift, at the moment. Will you be my nose?

Basenotes Plus

I love and own Balkis, delicious with raspberry, black pepper, and coffee notes. Also Maharadjah, which has a bold and intense lavender opening followed by a warm, spicy, powdery drydown. Of the two I'd say the latter works on men and women alike.

In the past I have tried and enjoyed Vanille-Tonka which combines citrus and frankincense with the eponymous tonka bean to delightful effect.

I'd like to try more from this house, including Patchouli pour Homme, Mimosaique, and Baladin, to name three.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

The one I wear most is Le Temps d'une fête
    --
    then
    Sacrebleu [a bit of a surprise, as it has cinnamon, which I usually loathe]

I love Odalisque but somehow don't find it as wearable. I don't wear chypre well. It is a gorgeous fragrance, though.
    I'm guessing mine is OLD formulation since I got it several years ago.

Check out the notes in the above. If you like them, you can't go wrong!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 4th May 2010 at 12:41 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I love Sacrebleu. I also liked the Fig Tea, but not enought to purchase. I have a few other samples that I need to...well, sample.
    Evenstar

For what it's worth, Luca Turin gives both Odalisque and Le Temps... five [maximum] stars in his perfumes encyclopedia.

I don't always trust his taste, though.

New York, Sacrebleu(I actually dislike the top notes but lucky they only hang round for 5-10 mins), Baladin, Vanille Tonka, Maharajah and Haute Provence are the ones I own. Balkis is pretty but I never actually bought it.

Strangely I never like Number One nor Odalisque when testing way back. I did own Vie Chateau but gave it away in the end as I never wore it.
    DONNA

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Sacrebleu INTENSE!
    wonderful less feminine than masculine, very unisex

Home scent: my fave is Bal à Venise
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

I have samples of Sacrebleu! and Le Temps D'Une Fete on their way (with a FB of New York!), and this thread has made me even more excited about receiving them.

EDIT: I believe a sample Nicolai pour Homme is on its way, too; been wondering about that one for a while now.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 4th May 2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: 'membered somethin'

I own fig tea,eau turquoise,rose intense,sacrebleu,odalisque,number one,rose pivoine and vetyver.

My faves are number one, fig tea and sacrebleu. The only ones in big bottles, the rest are just in 30 ml ones.

I see many loving very much Le temps d'Une Fete. I personally like it, but I can't pull it off. And I have a very smart proffessor at the university who wears mostly this perfume. The woman has a scary high IQ, definetly,very very good in her domain, she's in her 50 s , looking good, stable and she's very very demanding, and during exams, she brings a noisy clock with her, you can hear every tic-tac, so loud... and she says she does that cause we all have to learn ourselves to work efficient under very high stress...
    Well... I associate Le Temps d'Une Fete with this woman...
    Last edited by w3pearl; 4th May 2010 at 06:23 PM.

My favorite, hands down, of those I've sampled, is definitely Le Temps d'Une Fête. Odalisque and Sacrebleu are lovely as well. Am curious to try more in this line.
    Last edited by Lyndy Hop; 4th May 2010 at 06:35 PM.

Does Le Temps have anything in common with La Chasse aux Papillons, besides being both (somewhat) green florals?

Unlike Le Temps, I've actually sniffed many times La Chasse and liked it, minor changes in its formula over time apart.
    Last edited by Addict; 4th May 2010 at 07:13 PM.

I love this house, too! Not sure what I can add, but here goes...

I have FBs of Odalisque, Sacrebleu, Cococabana, and Vanille Tonka. The Vanille Tonka is a very beautiful, very unusual vanilla. I could see how others might consider it a cool weather fragrance, but it works in all but the warmest months here. I bought the bottle of Odalisque after I got the very last microliter out of my sample. I think the sample might have been the "pre-reformulation", but I can't compare (b/c it is gone). I do like the current version, although I know it has its detractors. (Hillaire's comments on the two versions are actually very useful! Thank you Hillaire!) Cococabana was a blind buy. It's a little bit like Juste un Reve, if I recall correctly. It's nice, when I'm in the mood for it. I absolutely love Sacrebleu, but it is very different from everything else I have tried. I have a sample of Sacrebleu Intense that I may revisit, but on my first sampling, I didn't detect any significant differences, which was somehow disappointing.

I am not a huge fan of the Fig Tea and the Eau d'Ete. Very wan on me. I am a huge green floral fan, so I THOUGHT I would love Le Temps, but it's not great on me. It is not like La Chasse, in my opinion.

I do like my samples of Balkis and Rose Intense. If Beautyhabit ever does one of their coupon codes for 20%, I'm probably picking up one of these (probably the Rose Intense). I tried Rose Pivoine years ago, and I was just thinking that I might want to get a bottle of that one, too. That's a very comforting scent to me - it smells like my grandfather's house.

For the most part, I think that maybe all (?) of the PdNs could be worn by men and women, with the possible exception of the ones with coconut, but then again - maybe on a man, the coconut becomes more subtle and less sweet (and hopefully more earthy and nutty).
    Last edited by RainDropSparkle; 4th May 2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: too long

I'm crazy for Le Temps d'une Fete, New York, and Maharadjah. I also like Sacrebleu quite a bit. I'm not too keen on Maharanih or Odalisque; the scents are quite different from one another but both turned bitter and "off" on my skin.

I generally don't seem to mesh with Nicolai's scents - several are "meh" on me and a few I actively dislike. But I _love_ Number One, so much that Nicolai is high on my list of perfumers just for that.

I forgot to mention that I tried Number One several years ago, and I'd like to revisit it soon. I remember it as a big elegant floral that would suit my beautiful witty mom (but she didn't like it?!). I bet that this big white floral is one that a man could wear elegantly, as well.

New York is one of those fragrances that suits every occasion. I regard it as a no-nonsense fragrance, but with a touch of luxury.

Sorry to be the sore thumb on this hand, but I've owned Odalisque, New York, Maharadjah, Maharanih and Cologne Sologne and I ended up selling them all. I appreciate all the care and finesse involved, but none of them have captivated me like YSL's Opium, Guerlain's Plus Que Jamais or even Laura Tonatto's Re. I find the house of Nicolaï to be rather sexless and sterile.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th May 2010 at 04:17 AM.

Sacrebleu, it is truly just a little piece of heaven. I am quite fond of many others, notably Maharanih, but Sacrebleu is glorious.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Sacrebleu, it is truly just a little piece of heaven. I am quite fond of many others, notably Maharanih, but Sacrebleu is glorious.
    sisterrrr! you're totally right!

btw, "sacrebleu" really means a kind of "damn it"?
    Last edited by w3pearl; 5th May 2010 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Does Le Temps have anything in common with La Chasse aux Papillons, besides being both (somewhat) green florals?

Unlike Le Temps, I've actually sniffed many times La Chasse and liked it, minor changes in its formula over time apart.
    I find those two quite different from one another, Chasse being more of a pretty white floral, Temps, a more complex green scent.

I also agree that Fig Tea is great too--if you like fig, of course.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Sorry to be the sore thumb on this hand, but I've owned Odalisque, New York, Maharadjah, Maharanih and Cologne Sologne and I ended up selling them all. I appreciate all the care and finesse involved, but none of them have captivated me like YSL's Opium, Guerlain's Plus Que Jamais or even Laura Tonatto's Re. I find the house of Nicolaï to be rather sexless and sterile.
    You might be on to something. I wore Cologne Sologne today and thought that it was a wonderful neroli/orange blossom. Of course this brought regret with a recent purchase which is in a similar vein, but as you said Sologne lacks any sort of wink, purr, come to my room, bitch, whereas Kobe preludes some frisk action Thanks for the reassurance!

Balle de Match is my choice acidic grapefruit fragrance though! Only if Nicolai made a lemon rendition to compete with Acqua Viva!
    Last edited by teger; 16th May 2010 at 12:40 AM.

any help for a newbie or where to purchase nicolai ny and or patchoulli in the united states .. i live in central virginia

i am not looking to save on the purcahse price , just trying to buy. i tried the website, but it never seemed to work at all.. does the london shop exist? and does it ship to US.

i am independently looking into the options and will share when i find something out

thank you so much in advance

Sur la Plage

New York
    Nicolai pour Homme
    Maharadjah
    Vanille Tonka
    Patchouli Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by lush_is_fab View Post
    any help for a newbie or where to purchase nicolai ny and or patchoulli in the united states .. i live in central virginia

i am not looking to save on the purcahse price , just trying to buy. i tried the website, but it never seemed to work at all.. does the london shop exist? and does it ship to US.

i am independently looking into the options and will share when i find something out

thank you so much in advance
    Beautyhabit has the best collection of any online retailer. Including some discontinued items.