Code of Conduct

Default Odeur 71 or Standard?

Hey mates,
    I want some of your valuable opinions!!!!
    I am ordering a couple of Comme des Garcons frags (I am a huge fan) and i doubt if among them i should order Odeur 71 or Artek Standard....
    I know those are very different....but, I am already ordering some incense and "weird" stuff such as Jaisalmer and Skai....
    Considering I am a huge incense fan and that I already own several incense based frags...which of those will be a nice addition to my wardrove? I really appreciate good longevity and projection (although I love subtle auras such as Kenzoair and Rock Crystal)

Thanx a lot!!!

Pablo
    Last edited by Halo; 3rd May 2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: misspelling on title

Default Re: Odeur 7 or Standard?

Standard, definitely. Odeur 71 is interesting, but it's a light scent and I don't think it would satisfy your desires for incense, longevity, and projection.

Have you tried all five of the CdG incense series? They're all worth a sniff.
    Last edited by NillaGoon; 3rd May 2010 at 07:57 PM.

Default Re: Odeur 71 or Standard?

Thanx NillaGoon...
    I actually own Avignon and used toown Ouarzazate and Zagorsk....
    Although I love Incense, I am not looking strictly for and incense dominant fragrance....
    Reviews of Odeur 71 are disimilar...some say it is fleeting and light, some say very longlasting and enveloping with a metallic tinge....

I also read that Standard is quit poor regarding longevity.....

Any more thoughts?

I think Odeur 71 is a tricky scent period....I tested Odeur 71 on one wrist and Geranium Pour Monsieur on the other the same day....and Odeur 71 won. Odeur 71 is more creative and it last longer then people think. Its kind of a skin scent. My girlfriend also favored Odeur 71 to Geranium Pour Monsieur. Have you tried Kyoto or Stephen Jones...those are also really worth a sniff
    Last edited by megatropolis; 3rd May 2010 at 10:48 PM.

Basenotes Institution

If you want a good incense from CdG, I would go for Standard. Not very creative IMO, but it does the job.

Odeur71 is not quite as wearable. Test 1st. The nail polish remover note in it, can give some wearers instant headaches.

thanks very much!!!

I believe that now that i have some interesting incenses (Avignon, ROck Crystal, Hinoki, Encens Flamboyant, Ambre Fetiche) the next incense wil need to be an edgy one, maybe Keiko Mecheri or Dzonghka.
    So maybe i lean towards a more industrial or different aroma. I fear that I will be dissapointed with standard for being a bit tame or light.....
    Unfortunately I cant sample...I live far away from any source of frangrance that is not Aqua di Gio or D&G PH....

cheers!

Pablo

Sur la Plage

Definitely Standard.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    thanks very much!!!

I believe that now that i have some interesting incenses (Avignon, ROck Crystal, Hinoki, Encens Flamboyant, Ambre Fetiche) the next incense wil need to be an edgy one, maybe Keiko Mecheri or Dzonghka.
    So maybe i lean towards a more industrial or different aroma. I fear that I will be dissapointed with standard for being a bit tame or light.....
    Unfortunately I cant sample...I live far away from any source of frangrance that is not Aqua di Gio or D&G PH....

cheers!

Pablo
    No, IMO Standard is not edgier than those you already own. If I were you, I'd learn more toward something like Serge Noire by Serge Lutens, Jubilation XXV by Amouage, Silver Factory by Bond No. 9 or the new Mecca Balsalm that everyone is raving about, by La Via del Profumo.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th May 2010 at 03:15 AM.

Odeur 71 hands down! I get great sillage and longevity from it. It is much more wearable than the sterile Odeur 53. While 71 is somewhat metallic like its predecessor, it's also woody, sweaty, musky and quite sexy. I love it in the summer heat. One of my favorites from CdG. I agree with Mike that Standard is kind of a retread of things they've already done with the Incense series. I hope this helps.

Thumbs up Re: Odeur 71 or Standard?

I tried both for the first time today and was more impressed with Standard.

Standard launches with a sharp pencil shavings cedar note that almost borders on body odor when first applied. The cedar quiets down fairly quickly and you are left with freshly cut blond wood, metal, and incense. It is different but very "clean" and wearable. It manages to evoke clean and new without the familiar citruses and aquatics. If "Avignon" is a centuries old cathedral then "Standard" is a newly constructed modern church on the day after mass: faintly lingering incense mixed with the scent of freshly cut and finished wood and building materials. It is what I imagine John Pawson's Novy Dvur monastery must smell like:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_srTiIzq2H7g/...s1600-h/02.jpg

I think I am so enamored of Standard because it is an incense I can imagine wearing anywhere. Day or night. Summer or winter. Business or pleasure. It is very distinct but also fresh and clean.