Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is there a fragrance we all like?

Now, it's known that we Basenoters are a diverse group with an opinion on everything.

But is there a fragrance that we are all agreed that we like? That is not to say it's our favourite, nor is it to say that there aren't other fragrances which are better than it or that we prefer.

So, come on, let's see if there is one fragrance we all like?

I'll pitch one in for starters. Chanel Pour Monsieur.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there a fragrance we all like?

That works. Never seen a diss of that one. Similar respect for Allure Homme Edition Blanche. That seems to get nothing but positive comments.

I might have said TdH, but there are enough dislikers to nix that one.

Sur la Plage

+1 negative comment on Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I like Chanel pour Monsieur, but I am sure it will get dissed by some who consider it "an old man's scent" because it is not a fresh, light aquatic.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Never tried that one. Corduroy by Zirh seems to be liked by 98% of people who have tried it, same with John Varvatos. Neat topic though, ya really have to dig down deep to figure out the answer for this one.

I'm absolutely sure there is not ONE scent everyone here will agree with

I think Pour Monsieur is probably as close as we'll get.

Even if one would not care to own it or even wear it, surely one must "like" the mere fact it exists as a testament to gentlemanliness--whatever its current state.

Blog Entries

do you mean "like" as in the scent itself (it being non-offensive) or "like" as in the overall quality, the notes, all that stuff? cause i dont think theres a person on earth who can be offended by Acqua Di Gio, hence why 50% of guys who own cologne own it

How 'bout Kouros? Just kidding...

If I spent an hour contemplating this, I probably couldn't come up with a better suggestion than Chanel's PM.

Not a chance. But maybe Acqua Di Parma?

Unanimity on this forum? No way ;-)

BUT the closest we can get to it may be through Eau Sauvage?
    There will be dissenters for this one too (longevity issues I guess) but if we disregard that (as citruses are meant to be fleeting), we could reach a consensus (sort of).

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Oh God no, not Eau Sauvage!
    Then PM is better ... but, ppl
    who dislike citrus scents may
    disagree..!
    I usually don't like fresh smells
    but I can agree on PM!

I find Allure Édt. Blanche even better!

Chanel Egoiste might get close

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Edition Blanche? Egoiste? Hell, no. No love from me, sorry. CPM is a good call though its longevity is abysmal. How about Chanel No.19? Funny that these are all Chanels...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 2nd May 2010 at 04:08 PM.

Aqua di Gio

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vladdypwnz View Post
    Aqua di Gio
    Hell no!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Oh God no, not Eau Sauvage!
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    How about Chanel No.19?
    I think a lot of people would say they don't like it, even though they have never tried it on their own skin.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Rive Gauche?

Old Spice.

I realize this is a men's thread, but I ADORE Chanel's Pour Monsieur on both sexes and have it in my wardrobe. In fact, most women seem to find it rather pleasant, if not downright delicious. So, this is a +1 for me!
    Last edited by Lyndy Hop; 2nd May 2010 at 06:24 PM.

Although it is never to be known with absolute certainty, Chanel pour Monsieur seems quite likely indeed

another wild guess would be Rive Gauche PH

Green Irish Tweed.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    That works. Never seen a diss of that one. Similar respect for Allure Homme Edition Blanche. That seems to get nothing but positive comments.

I might have said TdH, but there are enough dislikers to nix that one.
    allure homme blanche to me is forgettable, it didn't impress me but that is my opinion.

Basenotes Plus

I'm yet to see a negative review of Escada Homme in the fragrance directory.

Id rather have hot irons shoved up me snout than small Rive Gauche Pour Homme ever again

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    Green Irish Tweed.
    this is the closest we will get to agreeing on 1 fragrance on this site lol

it's impossible.

something that will not offend anyone, could be thought of as greatest common divisor, which will have to be simple.
    something simple will always have many better, more personal options for each individual, and in scientific terms will also highly risk being "meh".

even if such a thing existed, as its popularity rose, it would be unfavorable for people who has a dislike for popularity (I liked them before they got famous) and in turn would lose those people even if they previously liked the product.

That said, I think orange verte.

Wow, I am going to come across as being totally negative here but:

Edition Blanche: Yawn

Rive Gauche: I bought it blind and never wear it; don't like it. Too strong, and it smells like rotten fruit to me.

Egoiste: Maybe the least attractive sample I've tested. Pure mosquito repellent on me.

PM: Don't like it either. The top is nice, but the base (what there is of it) is totally forgettable, and lasts about 30 minutes.

GIT and that whole genre smells sickeningly synthetic and is totally unappealing to me.

There are quite a few fragrances that get raves here that I really don't like. Other, more moderately rated fragrances I have really loved. Perfume is totally subjective; I doubt there is anything we will all agree on.
    Last edited by JonB; 2nd May 2010 at 07:23 PM.

Any haters of L'Anarchiste?

GIT - inoffensive but don't "like" it.

Chanel PM - not a fan.

What's next on this cat-herding expedition?

I can't picture anyone disliking the smell of Eau D'Orange Verte or Baldessarini.

Burberry London maybe

Nope. Find one scent in the directory with over 50 reviews that are all thumbs up and I'll change my mind.

I also don't think there is a fragrance that everyone likes. That being said, I think that an eau de cologne with a natural smell of citrus is hard to dislike with a passion. Practically everyone will find it pleasing, if not exciting...

+10 for GIT. Let's face it.. if somebody gave any of us a free bottle of GIT.. We'd wear it. You can say you don't mind it, you can say you hate it. But seriously.. what's to hate? I'm a fan but I'm speaking of GIT as an outsider, if I was sniffing it for the first time. The reason people don't like it is because of its price tag and its rising popularity. As far as people I've come in contact with while wearing GIT, the majority loved it.. Never got one complaint, EVER -- and I work with a huge diversity of people.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 2nd May 2010 at 10:31 PM.

I believe this thread will be most amusing, as we'll have rounds of resounding +s followed by "hell no not THAT one!" until the proverbial cows come home. (which will be a while.)

Heck, I don't even always like my "all time favorite/HG" ...
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Let's face it.. if somebody gave any of us a free bottle of GIT.. We'd wear it.
    Not me. Trade boards ahoy!

brut blue

Chergui.

hm.. the scent of a women?

or maybe Eau De Cartier..

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Pervy View Post
    hm.. the scent of a women?
    Not me. But if you like that sort of thing, there's nothing wrong with it.

Never tried that one. Corduroy by Zirh seems to be liked by 98% of people who have tried it,...
    You have stats on this, TG ? Corduroy makes me upset....the smell of the fragrance that is. The pants, I'm totally cool with.

Why would you recommend Corduroy ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    Chanel Egoiste might get close
    No way ! Egoiste is downright bad smelling in my opinion. I tried to like it, just downright cloying. I can barely pick out any notes. Is there suppose to be rose in there ?

My rec is gonna be Johnson's Baby Powder
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

The no fun police ( i.e. me ) arrive to immediately squash the likability of baby powder. Hate it, and all powdery scents, really...

Blog Entries

Money, hard cold cash in our pockets. Whether it be US dollars, yen, pesos, lira, Euros, you name it. Whatever currency we can use in our own places of residency in a large abundance, we'll all like having the scent of it around. Nothing like financial stability with good sillage and longevity to brighten up a day.

My real answer is Green Irish Tweed. Sure, there's big fans of this no matter where you go. It's a very much a "love" or "it's not bad and I don't hate it" fragrance around here. I'm in the "it's not bad, I don't hate it" demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    The no fun police ( i.e. me ) arrive to immediately squash the likability of baby powder. Hate it, and all powdery scents, really...
    Ugh ! I thought I was on to something there Thats cool though, if you dislike powdery scents, yeah Johnson's will not work for ya. I would imagine your dislike of powdery scents is a reason why you are not too keen on alot of mainstream mens designers. Talk about powdery galore.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Rive Gauche?
    Big thumbs down from me!

Quote Originally Posted by Desert View Post
    Burberry London maybe
    I was going to suggest this too.

Cool Re: Is there a fragrance we all like?

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    I'm yet to see a negative review of Escada Homme in the fragrance directory.
    Right you are 42 positive and 7 neutral with zero negative. This has got to be a record!
    Maybe we should try it?

*sigh*

So many fragrances, so little cash . . .

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

My vote would be for AdP Colonia. Longevity withstanding, it seems there's nothing to vehemently dislike about this.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 3rd May 2010 at 09:34 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    My vote would be for AdP Colonia. Longevity withstanding, it seems there's nothing to vehemently dislike about this.
    Yup. We like AdP C.

I'd have to nix Aqua di Geo and Rive Gauche PH because I actively dislike both of them.

GIT I don't dislike and if I thought it were worth the difference in price between it and Cool Water I'd probably buy it, so I'd give that a thumbs up.

Escada Pour Homme is a good call too though.

AdP Colonnia is also a good call.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 3rd May 2010 at 11:35 AM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post

I'll pitch one in for starters. Chanel Pour Monsieur.
    If Chanel pour Monsieur this is still a valid candidate: +1 !
    Likewise, GIT, Rive Gauche pour homme & Acqua di Parma also have my blessing.
    Adding: Mugler Cologne !
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd May 2010 at 01:47 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Tania Sanchez hit the nail on the head when she said bacon

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Rive Gauche?
    Hell, no!

+10 for GIT. Let's face it.. if somebody gave any of us a free bottle of GIT.. We'd wear it...But seriously.. what's to hate?
    Uh, the nauseating, metallic, public-restroom-cleaner-like orange creamsicle note? :-) I wouldn't describe it as "vile", but it is unpleasant to me and no, I wouldn't wear it if it were free.

I was going to just sit on my hands since I dislike nearly everything mentioned in this thread so far:

• Chanel Pour Monseiur - geriatric, powdery, wishy-washy cousin of D&G Light Blue
    • Eau Sauvage - similar to PM, but different
    • Egoiste - mmm, fruitcake
    • Aqua di Gio - offensive in its melony inoffensiveness
    • GIT - see above
    • L'Anarchiste - like chewing on tin foil
    • Chergui - mobile diabetes research laboratory
    • Corduroy - vague, inoffensive "fresh" disaster

Rive Gauche is nice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I would imagine your dislike of powdery scents is a reason why you are not too keen on alot of mainstream mens designers. Talk about powdery galore.
    Yes. Between not liking "powdery", "soapy", "aquatic" and "cedary", men's releases I like are usually fairly far between ( that being said, a lot of women's go insanely powdery in their drydowns, too ).

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    Uh, the nauseating, metallic, public-restroom-cleaner-like orange creamsicle note? :-) I wouldn't describe it as "vile", but it is unpleasant to me and no, I wouldn't wear it if it were free.

I was going to just sit on my hands since I dislike nearly everything mentioned in this thread so far:

• Chanel Pour Monseiur - geriatric, powdery, wishy-washy cousin of D&G Light Blue
    • Eau Sauvage - similar to PM, but different
    • Egoiste - mmm, fruitcake
    • Aqua di Gio - offensive in its melony inoffensiveness
    • GIT - see above
    • L'Anarchiste - like chewing on tin foil
    • Chergui - mobile diabetes research laboratory
    • Corduroy - vague, inoffensive "fresh" disaster

Rive Gauche is nice, though.

+10 for GIT. Let's face it.. if somebody gave any of us a free bottle of GIT...
    I'd regift it. Green Irish Tweed is clearly made from quality materials, some of which I usually do not want to have to smell all day.

AdP Colonnia, on the other hand, would be quite welcome at my place.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    You have stats on this, TG ? Corduroy makes me upset....the smell of the fragrance that is. The pants, I'm totally cool with.

Why would you recommend Corduroy ?!
    [/I]

Check out the reviews on Corduroy on this site, I believe they pan out to about 90 or 95% positive and neutral. Other sites who sell Corduroy -- their reviewers (although most I'd assume are the average Joe buyers) are all in love with the fragrance. (Resources: Fragrancenet, FragranceX, and others) Be sure to read the reviews, it looks like the majority who have tried this fragrance either like it or love it! On top of that, it's one of my most complimented fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Mugler Cologne !
    +1! It's definitely not groundbreaking but.. it just smells like cleanliness. I couldn't imagine anyone really not liking it

I doubt there's any fragrance that we will all LOVE. The best case scenario would end up with some loving it, some liking it, and some who are indifferent about it.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking