Code of Conduct

Default The Millesime Base

As I continue to enjoy several CREED fragrances I own (SMW, MI, GIT, SV and Vetiver '48) I am becoming more familiar with the famous Millesime base. However, while the top and middle of SMW and Mi, for instance, are very light, fresh and somewhat sheer, I notice at around 6 hours and later, after application, they become rather thick and opaque. I can almost say they become cloying. This is particularly true of MI and SMW, but less so with GIT. SV and Vetiver are the exceptions.

What accounts for this thickness? Is it the Musk, Ambergris, both, neither? Maybe my nose is too sensitive to some of the notes in the base, but the heaviness detracts from the experience. I've tried applying less fragrance, but this doesn't seem to have any affect on the thickness of the far drydown. Typically I apply 2 or 3 partial sprays to both forearms, taking care not to depress the spray button all the way down, as the bottles dispense way too much juice.

Any insight is appreciated.

Default Re: The Millesime Base

ambergris most likely

Yeah I imagine it's the ambergris as well
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Synthetic ambergris accord, most likely ambroxan, ambrarome, or something along those lines.

It's actually my favorite part of those fragrances. A similar "ambergris" accord can also be found in Live Jazz, Rose 31 and Ultraviolet for Men (which make up some of my favorite fragrances of all time).

I love how the type of ambergris accord in all of the fragrances mentioned above, smells musky, but not dirty or chemically. It's just smooth, sexy and has this remarkable ability to create an aura rather than a cloud of sillage. Although the base of SMW, GIT and MI is thicker than the top notes, I don't find it to be cloying unless the weather is hot and humid. In that case, I'd probably wear something thinner, most likely with a citrus kick.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 3rd May 2010 at 11:27 PM.
    Sales thread here

it is actual ambergris, an ashtray size of the stuff costs 25 grand and the price is going up, that is why creed costs so much. ambergris ain't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    it is actual ambergris, an ashtray size of the stuff costs 25 grand and the price is going up, that is why creed costs so much. ambergris ain't cheap.

lol geese dude, you're blowing me away with these 'stats' of yours.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    lol geese dude, you're blowing me away with these 'stats' of yours.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Price_ambergris_per_gram

supposedly 10 bucks a gram, per pound is 4,536 dollars, so 5 pounds is roughly 25 grand. but that is rough estimate, many times the price is more.

http://dialogus.ru/?req=Price+of+1+gram+of+ambergris

here it runs up to 20 per gram, so per pound can cost more than 9 grand.

Synthetic ambergris accord, most likely ambroxan, ambrarome, or something along those lines.

It's actually my favorite part of those fragrances. A similar "ambergris" accord can also be found in Live Jazz, Rose 31 and Ultraviolet for Men (which make up some of my favorite fragrances of all time).

I love how the type of ambergris accord in all of the fragrances mentioned above, smells musky, but not dirty or chemically. It's just smooth, sexy and has this remarkable ability to create an aura rather than a cloud of sillage. Although the base of SMW, GIT and MI is thicker than the top notes, I don't find it to be cloying unless the weather is hot and humid. In that case, I'd probably wear something thinner, most likely with a citrus kick.
    Thanks very much for the thoughts and knowledge, L'Aventurier. Good for me to read and learn something. Very appreciated.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Price_ambergris_per_gram

supposedly 10 bucks a gram, per pound is 4,536 dollars, so 5 pounds is roughly 25 grand. but that is rough estimate, many times the price is more.

http://dialogus.ru/?req=Price+of+1+gram+of+ambergris

here it runs up to 20 per gram, so per pound can cost more than 9 grand.
    My comment was actually aimed at the statement that "Creed's pricing is due to its content of beach-harvested ambergris..." (I'm still lol'ing about that) but I like how did you did your homework on the ambergris pricing - I never knew real ambergris was that expensive. Seriously. Thanks for the links and insight.
    Sales thread here

My comment was actually aimed at the statement that "Creed's pricing is due to its content of beach-harvested ambergris..." (I'm still lol'ing about that) but I like how did you did your homework on the ambergris pricing - I never knew real ambergris was that expensive. Seriously. Thanks for the links and insight.
    No problem, but it is true, the price is high because ambergris is so expensive that to compensate they have to make it expensive lol.

Good work guys. Thanks for the info. I always wondered about the Millesime base, too. Might be why I'm more fond of the older Creeds. More distinctive overall. But don't get me wrong: the Millesimes are all quite nice. I'm a fan.

I like how did you did your homework on the ambergris pricing - I never knew real ambergris was that expensive. Seriously. Thanks for the links and insight.
    It doesn't seem that expensive to me - 1g of water = 1mL. Ambergris floats, so a gram is most likely somewhat more than 1mL. That's about what you'd pay for a sample of, say, one of Le Labo's city exclusives, or half the price of 1 mL of an Amouage attar.

Not that all this stuff isn't expensive, but it's not like the ambergris is out scale with all this other crap we're buying... :-)

It's certainly possible that Creed uses natural ambergris but it seems unlikely. The price is high enough to give most perfumers pause (although it's no orris butter) and availability is spotty but the biggest issue is that it was banned in the U.S. from 1972-2001 under the Marine Mammal Protection Act. If Creed prices were based on the expense of ambergris you could look for a sharp price increase post 2001 representing the switch from the cheaper synthetics.

Creed is based in France, chances are it doesn't apply to them.

It would for anything they sent to the U.S. and command up to a $10k fine per violation . . .not that I think anyone was really checking. But they certainly couldn't export to Australia or any other current ambergris banning nation without risking the wrath of local officials. You'd have to reformulate each perfume for different markets which seems like a terrible hassle when synthetics are available.

since it has ambergris and it isn't pure ambergris it might get a pass I do not know.

Blog Entries

Side note, for the closest thing to the Creed base simplified, without all the topnotes and everything, check out their new-ish Sublime Vanille. It's that rich, thick vanilla ambergris tonka combo that Creed fans go gaga for, in its purest form.

While I'm sure to be corrected, from what I understand, Creed only actually claims to use two specific natural ingredients which they include in every scent they put out (as sort of a house signature), real bergamot essential oil and real ambergris. It's easy to track down bergamot essential oil at hippie stores, so I've smelled it repeatedly. It's pleasant (and inexpensive, by the way) and not the source of the richness you mention. A little vanilla goes a long way to add richness, especially in citrusy scents like the Milessimes where it's kind of out-of-place. I've always assumed that it's the judicious use of vanilla (as well as the EDP concentration) that's responsible for some of the Creed richness.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by Robert G. View Post
    As I continue to enjoy several CREED fragrances I own (SMW, MI, GIT, SV and Vetiver '48) I am becoming more familiar with the famous Millesime base. However, while the top and middle of SMW and Mi, for instance, are very light, fresh and somewhat sheer, I notice at around 6 hours and later, after application, they become rather thick and opaque. I can almost say they become cloying. This is particularly true of MI and SMW, but less so with GIT. SV and Vetiver are the exceptions.

What accounts for this thickness? Is it the Musk, Ambergris, both, neither? Maybe my nose is too sensitive to some of the notes in the base, but the heaviness detracts from the experience. I've tried applying less fragrance, but this doesn't seem to have any affect on the thickness of the far drydown. Typically I apply 2 or 3 partial sprays to both forearms, taking care not to depress the spray button all the way down, as the bottles dispense way too much juice.

Any insight is appreciated.
    what you describe is what first attracted me to Creed (via Millesime Imperial) about 13 years ago. It's what still separates them from everyone else to me.

it's THE most attractive scent (in a pheremonal type of way) I have ever smelled.