Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Today I sampled.. ( MAY 2010 )

Parfumerie Generale's new Gardenia Grand Soir by Piere Guillaume.
    Notes : gardenia accord, australian sandalwood,mysore sandalwood, Sandalore (synthetic - warm sweet sandalwood aroma - powerful ,tenacious ,diffusive - taken from givaudan.org )

Picture and notes from Luckyscent.com

Begins with a touch of green - not much at all and frankly- that's as green as this scent gets. I get ' soapy green leaves ' at the start and some sandalwood and then all hell breaks loose . It gets quite intense and sweet ( I'm guessing this is the 'Grand Soir ' bit ) .
    I am sorry but I am hard pushed to smell any authentic -type gardenia in this . I get soap- sweet -floral .
    Maybe it's an gardenia corsage someone accidently sprayed with another floral perfume- that's what I get.
    After a while the intense sweet floral closes off and is replaced primarily with sandalwood though I think the sandalwood is there from the start ,in it's own way. Then the green comes back and it's green woody floral .

My thoughts- this is a strange ,odd perfume. Not really much gardenia at all .If anything it's a green leaf gardenia corsage all mashed up to a pulp and mixed with sandalwood. Odd,peculiar and not very compelling to me. So disappointing for me - with a name like that, you would expect the grandest gorgeous blooming gardenia .

That's $95 dollars per 50 mls richer for me to put towards something else.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 4th May 2010 at 12:23 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Default Re: Today I sampled.. ( MAY 2010 )

Thanks for the review Mysticknot! I'm afraid from the reviews I've read the general consensus on Gardenia Grand Soir has been that it's not grand, not gardenia, and simply - not good.

I must say I'm a little disappointed to hear this about a fragrance from PG, as his Tubereuse Couture is excellent and really unique ( if you haven't tried it, do! ) I guess every perfumer has their ups and downs. I was also disappointed by Ether de Lilas, which is En Passant done badly in my opinion.

Basenotes Institution

I tried Tubereuse Couture which was excellent but this one is a dud ! Pretty awful IMHO.

Blog Entries

Today I sampled Kyoto. In my opinion good karma.

Today I sampled the new Guerlain Cologne by T. Wasser. Very nice, it reminded me a little bit of Prelude to Love, but better. I predict this will be a big hit for Guerlain, it is simply beautiful verveine with flowers.

Editing: I am not sure what the notes are, but I don't think it has verveine, it may be orange blossom?
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 5th May 2010 at 03:15 AM.
    Evenstar

Annick Goutal Le Chevrefeuille
    Notes: honeysuckle blossom, honeysuckle vine, narcissus, jasmine, and lemon tree.

Lovely scent, much more citrusy in the opening than I expected, soft and sweet without being cloying like Honeysuckle can sometimes be. It's sweet, light and dewey smelling - I love the fresh, crisp green element in this fragrance; it was unexpeced but privides a nice balance to the heavy white flowers. It lacks the syrupy density that somes makes honeysuckle unbearable (particularly in the hot weather) and I think this could be a year-round perfume.

Les Parfums de Rosine Rosa Flamenca
    Notes: orange blossom, bergamot, petitgrain, jasmine, rose, fig leaf; sandalwood, benzoin, musk.

Wondeful! Very warm and voluptuous smelling, a ting hint of spice combined with the sweet freshness of orange blossom layered over rose. I love that the rose feels almost secondary here, but at the same time it is certainly not forgotten. There is a very slight powderiness but the overall feel is luminous and vibrant. Absolutely lovely.

Bond #9 Chelsea Flowers
    Notes: White Peony, Mimosa, French Tulip, White Hyacinth, Magnolia, Rose, Musk, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Tree Moss.

A huge dissapointment, I've worn this for a few days now in different settings and temperatures to try and find the hidden beauty...but apparently it's just not for me. This was boring and far too generic smelling for such an expensive fragrance; I would definitely wear either Le Chevrefeuille or Rosa Flamenca over it any day.
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by TheLipPrint View Post
    Annick Goutal Le Chevrefeuille
    Notes: honeysuckle blossom, honeysuckle vine, narcissus, jasmine, and lemon tree.

Lovely scent, much more citrusy in the opening than I expected, soft and sweet without being cloying like Honeysuckle can sometimes be. It's sweet, light and dewey smelling - I love the fresh, crisp green element in this fragrance; it was unexpeced but privides a nice balance to the heavy white flowers. It lacks the syrupy density that somes makes honeysuckle unbearable (particularly in the hot weather) and I think this could be a year-round perfume.
    This sounds divine- honeysuckle and narcissus. When I tried this it was all green and citrus on me- I may have to try again.

Ellen Tracy Inspire, one of a handful of carded samples tossed into my bag when I bought something (L'Heure Bleue, and don't I wish I were wearing it right now!) at a little local perfume shop. At the shop, I sampled a ton of stuff on skin -- Eau Sauvage, L'Heure Bleue, Habanita de Molinard) and I came home REEKING. so after a deodorant-and-Palm-Olive washdown I put this on to have something nice and presumably not overwhelming to smell. As I recall, it smelled quite pretty in a soft, dewy, fresh floral way and I thought "Wow, I might get some of this as a casual scent." It's DIRT CHEAP online, whch is always nice, and I'm always hoping to pick up a neglected treasure.

So, I splashed some on this morning, looking forward to easy/pretty/fresh ... and, not so much. Perhaps my nose was just completely out of wack the first time after the assault I'd inflicted on it earlier. Today, Inspire went on in a blast of hot-pink fruity-floral sweetness on top of muddled generic woody/musky. It was really unpleasantly sweet and I couldn't distinguish any particular elements in the mix, just "perfumeness." It settled down after about an hour and got less aggressive, but sweet and melony. The citrus, which was supposed to be in the top notes, finally showed up and cut the sweetness a bit and made it much more wearable, but I don't much like melon.

Now, five hours on, it's a pleasant-enough sweetish skin musk with a tinge of tart fruit -- and maybe some cedar? My nose still isn't that educated, so it's hard for me to single out notes. Not bad at all, but I don't think I'd wait through the opening again! And I'm not at all tempted to pick up a (sadly rather ugly) bottle anymore -- in fact, I doubt I'll give my sample a third try.

Vintage Odalisque, thanks to Hillaire! Big difference to my nose. The modern version of Odalisque is, well, a little anorexic for my tastes, but the vintage is lovely and rich. Both are good it's just... Vintage Odalique is Arte Nouveau - Modern Odalisque is Bauhaus.

fluers de gardenia by creed

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    fluers de gardenia by creed
    Do tell! That's one of the few Creeds I'm really curious about.

DKNY Be Delicious.

The first spray delivered a lively scent of green apple & white grapefruit, which I love. Also there was a little cucumber, more like melon. It was a nice mix with the apple. It settled into a very light floral, predominantly magnolia & rose, but very subtle. Light on the tuberose which is fine by me, as lately I've been noticing an overwhelming tuberose in a couple scents I've tried. The apple was a nice companion, continuing along. Then on it went to the soft white amber. Mmmm. It didn't get a powdery note which was great for me.

I'm lovin' this! I have to admit that my tastes run toward fruity-floral and gourmand. And, I'm guilty of liking a certain celeb's fragrance line. There, I said it.

* Top Notes
    * Grapefruit, Cucumber, Magnolia.

Middle Notes
    * Apple, Tuberose, White Muguet, Rose, Violet.

Base Notes
    * White Amber, Woods.

From the Basenotes description.
    Last edited by whitelace; 5th May 2010 at 08:55 PM.

Today I tried Chance Eau Tendre for the 2nd time on my skin. I'm not sure how I feel about. I like it, but it's not bottle worthy at this time.

I tried Ange Ou Demon Le Secret on my skin today. I don't really like this one.

I purchased Versus by Versace today. When I 1st smelled it, I knew right away that my Aveda Patchouli would really make this pop. So, I sprayed one arm with just Versus and the other arm with Versus and Aveda Patchouli. O-M-G! the patchouli really makes this frag intoxicating. It is just as amazing on its own though. I don't know which one I want to try 1st today lol.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    This sounds divine- honeysuckle and narcissus. When I tried this it was all green and citrus on me- I may have to try again.
    It was quite citrusy in the opening but it didn't last too long, I find citrus scents don't seem to hold well on my skin and the floral elemant was definitely more prominant. It was a really lovely scent, although wearing it on one hand and Rosa Flamenca on the other; poor Le Chevrefueille got overpowered haha

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:

Basenotes Plus

I tried Bond No 9's High Line today from a sample purse spray sent to me by the flagship store in NYC. It's "nice", fresh a little "snappy" but not something I need to own an entire bottle of.
    Laurent Le Guernec has used some interesting notes, taken from the High Line park itself. I just don't think most people will recognise them for what they are. I know, I didn't and I am a fan of one of his other fragrances for Bond No 9, So New York.
    On my skin, High Line is all orange flower & bergamot...noting as special as it's inspiration.

Notes are: Top notes are purple love grass, aldehydes, ozone notes, Indian rhubarb, bergamot; heart notes are red leaf rose, tulipe, grape hyacinth, orange flower water; the base rests on the High Line's bur oak.
    Last edited by RHM; 5th May 2010 at 10:30 PM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Pure Purple by Hugo Boss. At first spray - wow, but I got an almost overwhelming smell of grape candy. Until this fragrance, none have come close to being too sweet for me. This one is...almost. I had to hold on tight trying Miss Dior Cherie, but Pure Purple had me wondering if I could handle it. It did settle down to a soft smell that I enjoyed. Didn't get any fruit notes, but I sure did get a wallop of marzipan.

* Top Notes
    * Cyclamen, Nectarine.

Middle Notes
    * Black Violet, Floral Notes.

Base Notes
    * Amber, White Suede, Sweet Marzipan.

From the BN database.

I don't see much mention of Hugo Boss fragrances. Too pedestrian? I really like Deep Red and notice some others have this.

From my recently received samples order, I tried Chocolovers yesterday (Aquolina) just for the sheer frivolity of it. The first little while it got me dancing around with glee (chocolate does that). Then I started coughing from some powdery note that caught in my throat. I didn't get to wash it off before going to work. I kept smelling this throughout my shift, and when I got home I yanked off my clothes (chocolate also does that) and scrubbed this off. This is the first time I've had this happen, but it was definitely a scrubber for me. Gag.
    Last edited by whitelace; 7th May 2010 at 07:22 PM.

Gack! I've got to say, though, that your scrubber description was very entertaining to read, so at least some good came of your pain.
    Last edited by Thalia; 7th May 2010 at 04:09 PM.

Glad to hear that someone enjoyed this, Thalia. My poor clothes got flung into the washer pronto, and the Chocolovers sample went into the circular filing cabinet. On a more positive note...

Whilst tromping through a department store in my quest for Can Can, I sampled Bright Crystal (Versace). I can't wait till my mini arrives so I can test-drive it for a few days. Lovely!

I also tried Anais Anais again. I used to wear this in the 80's; it doesn't smell as nice as I thought it would. Could be that my memory's gone, though. Very sweet, but not unpleasant either.

The SA gave me a spritz of Calvin Klein's Euphoria, and claimed that it smells 'just like Angel, only it's cheaper.' I didn't think so at all. A sample order came today - yay! - and in it is Angel. I'm determined that this will eventually smell good on me. I simply won't accept that it smells like hooey.

I'm now wearing Badgley Mischka EDP from a sample...very nice. My samples include several Chanel as well as Jean Patou's 1000, so I'll try those in a couple days. I have this niggling feeling that Yours Truly is about to venture into the uncharted territory of Guerlain with her next sample order. Stay tuned.

And I want to let it be known that I tried three stores, and no Can Can. Three! One department store and two drugstores. I no can do any more stores today.
    Last edited by whitelace; 7th May 2010 at 08:39 PM.

My day started out really bad so i decided to make myself feel better by going to the Perfume Shoppe to do a bit of sniffing. First of all Naz and Amyn are both AMAZING!!! Amyn was at the store and he is so knowledgeable and he truly loves fragrances. I could have talked to him for hours.... Knowledgeable and friendly. Awesome combo. Naz joined in via skype and I just love her! I could go on and on about how wonderful they both are, but I'll force myself to shut up about them. Now for my sniffing experience:

Amyn asked me what I liked in fragrances and I said that my only criteria is that I dont care for prominent rose or gardenia notes and that I have a love/hate relationship with lily in any form. I also said that I have fragrances that fall into just about every category as I have no loyalties, however, I do notice that patchouli is a common note in the fragrances that I love most (Hello Coromandel). Lastly, I said that I like scents that make a statement.

With that, he started me out with a few Serge Lutens and some Montales. I quickly dismissed the Montales. I like them, but I'll never buy one again. The ones that I've owned have been swapped away. Not quite sure why I'm on the fence with Montales. But, I digress..... I probably tried about 20 fragrances, but the standouts are:

Parfumerie Generale L'Oiseau de Nuit
    . I sniffed the oepning notes of this and fell in love! It was spicy and sweet. I put it on to see how it would develop and after about 10 minutes in turned into another/different experience. It was sweet.....nothing else...just sweet. I still liked it, but didnt think it fit the bill for what I was looking for. I mentioned this to Amyn and he said 'dont let it fool you'. so I let it sit a while longer while I sniffed other fragrances and eventually smelled this again on my skin. To my surprise, I smelled the spicyness that I loved at first sniff. That freaked me out (in a good way). I'm sure I'll eventually purchase a full bottle of this beauty. Its nice!! and tricky.

Keiko Mercheri A Fleur de Peau: Leather, spice and everything nice. Stole my heart. I must purchase this!!

Amouage Ubar: I had an immediate love affair with this. My life will not be complete until I get a full bottle of this. I couldnt distinguish the notes and I asked Amyn what was in it. I could have fallen over after he told me that it had most of the notes that I told him I dont care for. With this, Amyn told me that I shouldn't dismiss any notes because if a fragrance is done well my experience with the notes will be different. I guess that makes sense, but time will tell 'cuz I'm going to put that to the test.

That's it for the fragrances that I loved most, but I have to admit that I tried all the Amouage attars and I didnt sniff one that I didnt like. Lyric was divine!! I dont want to hog the post, so I'll talk about that one at another time.

Visited Kleins Perfumery for the first time yesterday! I had a play with some of the Demeter fragrances there when I was supposed to be shopping for a present...oops! I wanted to try some of the L'Artisan and Tocca fragrances but they were SO busy being the day before mother's day I couldn't get anyone to serve me...and those expensive babies are locked away behind glass.

So I tested a few Demeters:

Rain - a lovely, wet grassy scent with a very fresh aesthetic. Quite clean and green smelling, not my usdual MO but I liked it.

Brownies - thick, syrupy chocolate and hazlenut scent. Not my thing but pretty realistic and my little sis was enamoured haha That girl loves brownies way too much!

Pruning Shears - another surprise like! This is a lovely grassy, herbal rose scent with a crispness to it...much like wading through the garden on a cool morning. I think I'm going to order a sample of this!

Watermelon Lollipop - ugh, sooo sweet! My little sis made me try this one and it is just what is says...a watermelon Chuppa Chup. She loved it, I hated it.

Currently lusting after:

Today I hit the mall with various objectives (use coupon at Clarks, find birthday presents for kids, etc.), but I did have quite a lot of time to browse fragrances:

L'Occitane Peony - Completely sold out, except for the shower gel (huh?). They had a tester out, so I spritzed a strip and left it in my purse. Notes are bergamot, grapefruit, peony, rose, sandalwood, white musk. I would have spritzed my arm, too, but I had a lot of shopping ahead of me, and I didn't want it to bug me, if I ended up hating it...it's nice, though, so I might head back later in the month, when they should be restocked.

I find the sales staff at Neiman's to be mostly nice (at least, the ones that don't peer at me like I'm going to steal something!), but somewhat clueless. Sigh. That's for another thread, though...

The first nice-enough woman at the main fragrances counter showed me a bunch of different things, and finally, got to the Atelier (yay!). I sniffed tester strips of all 5 (nose started going deaf), but spritzed a bit of Atelier Grand Neroli on my arm. Lovely notes at the top (neroli, lemon, petitgrain, bergamot) and I think there's galbanum in the heart, but then there is a wretched, sweet vanilla after about 20 minutes. It was very disappointing - the vanilla really ruined it for me.

When I was letting the Grand Neroli run its course on my arm, I walked over to the Guerlain counter, just to see...and HECK! There are bottles of Vol de Nuit and - gasp - L'Heure Bleue. I already had the Atelier on my arm, or I would have blasted a bit of the L'Heure Bleue on me.

I looked at a nice bag in the Coach store, where the nice sales associate handed me a tester strip of the "new women's fragrance" (icky). I can't tell you the name, but I wouldn't even bother...

And then went to spend way too much money (again) at Nordstrom. Among my stops was the fragrance counter to peer curiously again at the display of Memoire Liquide. The woman who usually works in fragrances was there again. People, if you shop Nordstrom in Honolulu, look for Jen. She's good! Anyhow, Jen told me about 3 of the Memoire Liquide line and made up a nice little sample of Memoire Liquide Fleur. This well-done, simple concoction of mimosa, orange blossom, and jasmine is maybe the perfect summer daytime scent. I might go back for it. Really nice orange blossom and slightly powdery sometimes, slightly indolic now.

Time for my Mother's Day dinner!

Blog Entries

Eau Feurs Cedrat by Guerlain. Mind you I am not a fan of citrus scents but, this fragrance has a real lemon/citrus aroma. My only complaint is that Eau(s) just don't last on my skin very long. Gone in about thirty minutes.

Basenotes Institution

Natori EDP by Natori .Perfumer Caroline Sabas .

Notes of aldehydes, rose, plum, jasmine, ylang ylang, peony, musk, patchouli, amber. ( From www.perfumeshrine.com )

My initial impression is this is one thick, sweet perfume ! I don't get aldehydes . A lovely silky mish mash of strong florals and ripe plum though the plum doesn't seem to be fore front on me .A wee touch of powder ,lots of amber. This is very floral gourmand to me. Natori makes clothes and ladies' lingerie I believe . It's a plush perfume, soft, rounded ,tenacious and softens after the intiial blow out of sweetness.
    It's not unique enough for me to want a full bottle of but it's good juice.
    I probably love the bottle more than anything in regards to the whole packaging. Tactile, inviting.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 11th May 2010 at 05:23 PM.

I love the Natori bottle! It looks mysterious and important, yet somehow inviting, like you're sneaking into a palace. Every time I see it in stores, I'm drawn to it, but the juice is just too mellow and edgeless for me; it doesn't really hold my interest.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I love the Natori bottle! It looks mysterious and important, yet somehow inviting, like you're sneaking into a palace. Every time I see it in stores, I'm drawn to it, but the juice is just too mellow and edgeless for me; it doesn't really hold my interest.
    Yup, I just love that bottle ...more than the juice ! *LOL* I can tell that on a bad day ,this perfume would give me a migraine and on a good day, make me want to eat chocolate and candy !

Basenotes Institution

Voyage d'Hermes by Jean Claude Ellena. No official notes ??

I first had a wonderful sniffing experience of this when a bored Neiman Marcus SA captured my poor DH and sprayed him liberally with it. I loved it then and I am partial to it now !

Expansive ,bright, lifting citrussy start, a little iris is what I get too which then all settles down to a wood- musk ,staying fresh always. Quite exhilarating, transparent in feel - just like Jean Claude Ellena's style is. If the idea of this scent is travel ,journeys- then this is like open seas ,a good wind and fresh sea air .
    Understated elegance, becomes restrained . Quite beautiful.
    Me likey !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 11th May 2010 at 11:12 PM.

I thought I'd give myself a lift and try out a sample. Finally, after all these years I'm trying Jean Patou's 1000 EDT, and I'm lovin' it so far. I'm wondering if I ought to try the EDP as well? Appreciate any thoughts about the differences between them. Thanks!

Been sampling Amouage Ubar. Its close resemblance to EL's Knowing came as a surprise. Not sure what I expected, but I was surprised all the same. Actually, I find Ubar to be somewhere between Knowing and Cabotine.

Whitelace, I have both EdT and EdP versions of 1000. These are a few years old, and I can't speak for what's going on with 1000 now, but I find the versions to be very similar.

TheLipPrint, I love AG's Le Chevrefeuille. Not my type at all, but I love it, nonetheless. It's so delightfully cheerful. It's like wearing a full skirted floral print dress. Well, that's what it makes me think of. Glad you're enjoying it.

Thanks, VintageVogue. I usually go for EDT rather than EDP, although I have the EDP of Joy. Will continue with my test on the 1000 EDT.

Well, my sampling didn't stop there. A girlfriend and I went into a store that had a Guerlain counter. I have a spray sample which I'll try for several days, but I have to say that I'm in love with Idylle! It's a definite must-buy for me.

Idylle:
    top notes: freesia, tincture of rose, raspberry, litchi
    middle notes: jasmine, lily of the valley, peony, lily
    base notes: musk, patchouli
    (from Fragrantica.com)

Another I liked was Samsara. They didn't have too much variety, so a further trip towards the 'big city' will have a greater choice. This is my first foray into the Guerlain world, and I thoroughly enjoyed my samplings. My friend usually wears Boucheron, so I snagged a sample of that as well as Shalimar.

Tried Dior's Escale a Pondichery EDT. Loved it! Think we both will be buying a bottle...

Escale a Pondichery:
    top notes of Cardamom Essence and Sambac Jasmine Absolut, warm middle notes of Black Tea Extract, the inspiration for the fragrance, and base notes of Sandalwood Essence that gives the scent a smooth warmth (from the Bay)

What a heavenly day!
    Last edited by whitelace; 12th May 2010 at 10:12 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Black Gardenia By Michele Bergman

No ingredient notes given .

Well well, well... a gardenia perfume oil that I actually like and can tolerate. First up- no plasticky aromas- thank the Perfume Gods for that !
    Begins very sweet ..as in indian jasmine oil sweet which calms down after about 5-10 minutes to pulsating lightly sweet gardenia 'type' perfume.
    As this is 'black gardenia' - I can see the drama with it- it's not a fresh green peppery on the bush white ,soft petaled gardenia. It's an artistic impression of what a black gardenia would be like. Almost verging on cloying but not quite, a slightly droopy blooming black gardenia in humidity, is the picture I am getting .

As a perfume oil ,it's lovely. Even though I say this is a bit of a drama queen gardenia impression, it is quite wearable as a happy fragrance.
    It's sweetness is not at all plasticky- more of jasminey - vanilla sweetness and therefore quite addictive to sniff.

To me, this is completely different from Estee Lauder's Tuberose Gardenia which comes across as a little grand, aloof and elegant. E L Tuberose Gardenia is a true painting of a white gardenia ,beautiful against the green waxy leaves of the bush, it is on.

This little black gardenia drama queen is about 18 years old and a little OTT in style ( not a bad thing - I mean, it's a youthful but sultry fragrance. ) !

This perfume oil reminds me of India and indian things. It's yummy ,delicious and has a place beside the different varieties of gardenia fragrances out there.

***. No oily residue, this oil sinks right in.

Sophi's Choice ! ( pun intended ! Thanks Sophi! )
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 14th May 2010 at 05:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Today I sampled two fragrances; eau de Carier Concentree and Declaration by Cartier. I found neither earth shaking.

I'm just discovering the Madinis. So far I like Sahara (warm citron, myrrh and amber), Olive Flowers (it is like an old Guerlain oriental), Kamary (lovely and light rose and sandalwood- perhaps a bit of oud too) and Ambre. Salma is okay, but I don't think I'll be buying a bottle.

I bought Alma de Alma unsniffed. The notes are musk, amber and citron. I'll be surprised if I don't like it.

Today I sampled Cuir Beluga for the first time. I am in love!
    I don't know why I had not tried this before. Perhaps the name was not interesting enough, but it is definitely a comfort scent, elegant. The notes are: immortelle (everlasting flower), leather, amber, vanilla, mandarin, heliotrope. I can't smell the immortelle, the leather is very soft and to me it is more like suede. The mandarine brings the perfume alive, and heliotrope is one of my favorite notes. This is going straight to my Want list.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Today I sampled Cuir Beluga for the first time. I am in love!
    I don't know why I had not tried this before. Perhaps the name was not interesting enough, but it is definitely a comfort scent, elegant. The notes are: immortelle (everlasting flower), leather, amber, vanilla, mandarin, heliotrope. I can't smell the immortelle, the leather is very soft and to me it is more like suede. The mandarine brings the perfume alive, and heliotrope is one of my favorite notes. This is going straight to my Want list.
    Pretty great stuff , Arwen !

Black Gardenia By Michele Bergman
    Lovely review, Mysticknot. Though big, fun jasmine sounds up my alley - would you say it's as realistically "gardenia" as the Lauder?

Basenotes Institution

Lovely review, Mysticknot. Though big, fun jasmine sounds up my alley - would you say it's as realistically "gardenia" as the Lauder?
    No way Suga ! Tuberose Gardenia reigns supreme for realistic white gardenia for sure.
    I have got Black Gardenia on one arm and EL Tuberose Gardenia on the other,right now. The diffference is significant. I would say ,really, the Black gardenia is very indian, sweet jasminey vanilla. When I have been to Indian festivals this is the smell I remember - the Black Gardenia. It's a very lovely fragrance but you won't get your BIG gardenia kick from it.
    For a big gardenia kick ,it is definitely EL T G.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 14th May 2010 at 05:21 AM.

Today I sampled Soivohle's Purple Love Smoke, a deeply odd yet rather compelling frag. I've smelled a lot of weird fragrances, but this is ranks as one of THE weirdest fragrances I've smelled in a long time.

I'd describe the top notes as a mixture of burning teriyaki sauce and watermelon juice ( specifically juice - not the whole melon ). I wish I could come up with an analogy or note less strange, but that's the honest impression my nose receives! It's a little unpleasant at first, but fairly soon that burnt teriyaki disappears, to be replaced by warm, subtle powderiness that somewhat modifies the aggressive watermelon tang as it develops. I smell no violet per se, but I've experienced that in some other violet soliflores, too.

It's ugly-fascinating, like a piece of provative art that's fun to see, but you wouldn't want in your living room. I'm very happy to have tried it.

Very good longevity and sillage for a natural, too.

Basenotes Institution

Today I sampled Soivohle's Purple Love Smoke, a deeply odd yet rather compelling frag. I've smelled a lot of weird fragrances, but this is ranks as one of THE weirdest fragrances I've smelled in a long time.

I'd describe the top notes as a mixture of burning teriyaki sauce and watermelon juice ( specifically juice - not the whole melon ). I wish I could come up with an analogy or note less strange, but that's the honest impression my nose receives! It's a little unpleasant at first, but fairly soon that burnt teriyaki disappears, to be replaced by warm, subtle powderiness that somewhat modifies the aggressive watermelon tang as it develops. I smell no violet per se, but I've experienced that in some other violet soliflores, too.

It's ugly-fascinating, like a piece of provative art that's fun to see, but you wouldn't want in your living room. I'm very happy to have tried it.

Very good longevity and sillage for a natural, too.
    It is an interesting fragrance, Suga. I got a very earthy violet - odd ...but like you said ' provocative art. '

No way Suga ! Tuberose Gardenia reigns supreme for realistic white gardenia for sure.
    I have got Black Gardenia on one arm and EL Tuberose Gardenia on the other,right now. The diffference is significant. I would say ,really, the Black gardenia is very indian, sweet jasminey vanilla. When I have been to Indian festivals this is the smell I remember - the Black Gardenia. It's a very lovely fragrance but you won't get your BIG gardenia kick from it.
    For a big gardenia kick ,it is definitely EL T G.
    Ah, thanks so much! I think I may skip this one just now, then - I own my favorite jasmine, and have another favorite jasmine arriving soon.

Blog Entries

Today I sampled Vol de Nuit Evasion by Guerlain. Three and one half stars in my book. A very nice fragrance this is. Too bad that availability is so poor.

Today I sampled Etat Libre D'Orange - Je Suis un Homme.
    My opinion? Boring smoke withouth depth.
    parfyme.moo.no - et norsk parfymeforum
    Blog

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Sampled these over past week:-

Un Coeur En Mai
    by MDCI

Notes:
    petitgrain, galbanum, bergamot, water hyacinth, lily of the valley, rose, mimosa, black currant, melon, coriander, musk, Bourbon geranium, precious woods.

Somewhat like an impressionist-styled painting of a lovely floral garden done in pastel hues. Green in the beginning but reveals subtle shades of colors as the florals develops: watery hyacinth, muguet, rose, mimosa... Of these, I found the muguet to be the most noticeable. Even the typically distinguishable rose gets the light treatment and blends seamlessly into the light woodsy musk base. Created by Patricia de Nicolai, Un Coeur En Mai is an elegant very feminine floral, but rather sheer and short-wearing.

3.8/5 --- beautiful scent, modest projection, below average longevity.

Vepres Sicillienes
    by MDCI

Notes:
    mandarin, grapefruit, peach, pepper, green leaves, cardamom, muguet, magnolia, jasmine, ylang ylang, rose, tuberose, heliotrope, osmanthus, raspberry, cloves, plum, coconut, musk, amber, oakmoss and cedarwood.

Impressive official list of notes aside, this feels immediately much more substantial than the ethereal Un Coeur En Mai. I can pick out the tuberose and muguet early on but the rest is a rich well supported floral bouquet that somehow manages to stay clear of 'heady' territory. The quality of ingredients is impeccable and it needs to be to support such an ambitious composition. Vepres Sicillienes earns its rank as one of the most gorgeous floral orientals I've had the pleasure to smell.
    4.5/5 --- classy scent, good sillage & awesome longevity.

Meloe
    by Teo Cabanel

Notes:
    bergamot, tangerine, lemon, lavender, basil, neroli, orange blossom, jasmine, nutmeg, musk, amber and woody notes

Just a touch more natural smelling than generic citrus scents from the likes of Nautica. And just as thin and bland. Inconsequential. Or did TPC send me the wrong sample?
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 15th May 2010 at 06:06 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Puredistance I by Annie Buzantian ( perfumer )

Top notes of tangerine blossom,cassis,neroli bigarade.Heart of magnolia,rose wardia,jasmine, natural mimosa and base notes of sweet amber,vetiver, white musk.
    Pure perfume at 32 % perfume oil in 17.5 ml spray.

The sample is really like a mini of the real thing- beautiful presentation for a 1 ml sample - my sample is shown in the 2 pictures above.

This golden liquid is precious . It goes on the skin with that ever so slightly thick sheen of a perfume with lots of oils in it. It's a beautiful green floral chypre . Clear sweet citrus,then mostly rose swirls with sweet amber on my skin , a touch of vetiver and musk. Crisp, haughty ,fresh yet classically rich in smell and dense. Drys down less sweet to some amber rose / floral and lots of vetiver on my skin. Why don't I get much jasmine ???
    More feminine but I think both sexes can get away with this .
    Smells expensive, it is expensive. Reminds me of Xerjoff perfumes - amazing quality. Quite a stunner. Just pulsates on your skin.
    I can see 17.5 mls lasting a good loooong time- you need literally a dab or two for this to take off and bloom into a 3 D scent of wonderfulness.

Puredistance is available in mega expensive crystal or in a plain flacon like in the 1st picture. Prices range from Euros 3950 for the really luxurious crystal and gold to a 'mere' Euros 165 for the plain austere bottle . Or a 1ml sample will cost ya Euro 9 . Hmmmmmm. Take the plain flacon. So much less Liberace .

Not a very original scent,dare I say, though the bottle and packaging are luxurious. So I say - 4 stars .

( Gee, I'm such a commerical ! )

*** C Rose - you got it babe !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 17th May 2010 at 09:37 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Santa Maria Novella Caprifoglio ( Honeysuckle )

I am deeply taken with this one note wonder. This is pure honeysuckle and long lasting too for an Eau de Cologne. Ah heaven................

An interesting article about this perfume..... http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/03/st...thy-scent.html

Caprifoglio sounds great! I love honeysuckle.

Basenotes Institution

Caprifoglio sounds great! I love honeysuckle.
    To me this is holy grail honeysuckle Suga. Lovely lovely lovely. So long lasting too which is surprising for an EDC.

Blog Entries

Turbulences by Revillon.

I'm kind of 'sampling' Arpege EDT from a mini I just received. Hmm, but it sure doesn't smell like I remember it when I wore it years ago, although I can detect a hint of the 'old' fragrance. Has this been reformulated to death, or would there be a huge difference with the EDP I wonder?
    Last edited by whitelace; 20th May 2010 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Natori EDP by Natori .Perfumer Caroline Sabas .
    Great review - it sounds luscious! Love the bottle too. I haven't been able to find out much more about this one, actually.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by whitelace View Post
    Great review - it sounds luscious! Love the bottle too. I haven't been able to find out much more about this one, actually.
    Thanks Whitelace- it's a gorgeous perfume.

Basenotes Institution

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood. EDP .
    Notes of marigold, virburnum ( a kind of shrub with small flowers ) orange blossom, orris, red rose, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom, amber, vanilla, sandalwood and patchouli.( Notes - courtesy of perfumesmellin'things.)

Thanks to dear Primrose for a generous sample spray !

To me, this is floral chypre . Light brown juice .
    A fine aldehydic start ( the naughty perfume starts all lady like ! ) ,slightly powdery ,flower tartness- a whopping strong sillage. Then a little leather animal starts creeping on in. This picture makes me think of Boudoir. Now it's just a naughty naughty perfume - flowers, pillows, some leather and maybe a little sweat.

A classic naughty scent. Definitely strong and lots of sillage. Not for the faint hearted but still I think this naughty lady is a puppy inside.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 20th May 2010 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood. EDP .
    Notes of marigold, virburnum ( a kind of shrub with small flowers ) orange blossom, orris, red rose, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom, amber, vanilla, sandalwood and patchouli.( Notes - courtesy of perfumesmellin'things.)

To me, this is floral chypre . Light brown juice .
    A fine aldehydic start ( the naughty perfume starts all lady like ! ) ,slightly powdery ,flower tartness- a whopping strong sillage. Then a little leather animal starts creeping on in. This picture makes me think of Boudoir. Now it's just a naughty naughty perfume - flowers, pillows, some leather and maybe a little sweat.

A classic naughty scent. Definitely strong and lots of sillage. Not for the faint hearted but still I think this naughty lady is a puppy inside.
    Mimi, I always got tobacco from this... Hmmmm...

Yes, not for the faint of heart! I heard this was a "knickers" scent, according to The Times Online. Now if they will only make "Les Cuisses du Comte." LOL!

Glad you liked it.
    Last edited by Primrose; 21st May 2010 at 02:31 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Mimi, I always got tobacco from this... Hmmmm...

Yes, not for the faint of heart! I heard this was a "knickers" scent, according to The Times Online. Now if they will only make "Les Cuisses du Comte." LOL!

Glad you liked it.
    *LOL* I got no tobacco but it is abit of a 'knicker's scent I guess ! I don't find it 'unclean' at all- just a little animalistic- just a good old fashioned type classic perfume with a kick to it. Good stuff ! Thanks Primrose for the sample !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 21st May 2010 at 02:44 AM.

Yesterday, I sampled Etro Benetroessere Relent. This is a 2001 release, so I am a bit late to the game, but the sample was included in a swap.

It opens with a dose of powder and a very nice, restrained lavender. As it develops, the powder stays, but a nice amber breaks through. This is a somewhat linear fragrance after the lavendar opening. It stays soft and slightly powdery throughout. At first, I was going to write this off as unexciting. But slowly, I realized this fragrance could certainly have it's place.

I can imagine this as a great office scent. Specifically, even a fragrance to wear in a fragrance free enviornment. Someone (the fragrance police) would be hard pressed to accuse you of more than a scented powder. And I realise I keep saying powder, but it is not really an overpowering powder. Just the feeling and freshness of it.

The other perfect use of this perfume would be for a dedicated bedtime scent. As the lavender fades and the amber begins, you would be drifting off to a pleasant sleep.

This was nice, but not exciting. But sometimes, that is just what you want. I think I will use the rest of my sample for bedtime. It is fairly long lasting, and the next morning I could still enjoy the softness of this fragrance on my tshirt.

Basenotes Institution

So I was rummaging in the box of endless samples that I have and came across one of my first niche perfume samples I ever bought - Confetto by Profumum EDP. Such nostalgia for the days of ignorance ! *LOL* I just had to re try this one.....

Notes of sugared almond, amber, musk, hint of anise. ( I was on an almond kick back then .)

( Picture and notes from luckyscent.com )

This is a strange linear kind of scent. Imagine a brand new Barbie doll out of the box, stuff your nose right up against her plastic body and that is the smell of Confetto- a 'new plastic doll' smell- then add some vanilla as this perfume is fairly,densely sweet too .. Somehow the almond and anise ( which is somewhat strong in this perfume,even if it's supposed to be a hint! ) gives this impression of new doll plastic.
    Very long lasting- the ingredients are quality and you'll keep smelling it. ( All the ones I do NOT love are the ones that seem to last the longest ! Sod's Law ! )

Now I was put onto Confetto because of the 'similarity ' supposedly to Dior's Hypnotic Poison and yes,there is a similarity but I can tell you Hypnotic Poison is not only better,a more likeable almond ,easier to wear almond scent ( Annick Menardo LOVE !) but it's quite a bit cheaper too.
    Ava Luxe used to do Angel Face perfume - which is similar to this and a heck of a lot better too.
    Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum is a richer deeper better perfume as well compared to Confetto and very high on the glucose factor !!

My confession is this- that when I first tried this perfume several years back ,I nearly puked. So did my husband . I haven't 'nearly puked' this time because I think I have got better at sampling weird perfumes but this is 'plastic doll' at its very expensive best.
    Oddly compelling in a way I guess for some because I think it is popular.

My scent memory of this perfume is no longer wanting to puke- it's more nostalgic for the days when I first discovered niche perfumes ,Ava Luxe and Hypnotic Poison.

Confetto - a beautiful name for a perfume (- edible - like a vanilla wafer ) just a shame it's this one..............

2.5 stars !!!!!
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 21st May 2010 at 03:31 PM.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Platinum La prairie

a strong strong leather jasmin.
    I cant' smelled other flowers, other notes :-(
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Basenotes Plus

Le Chic by Molyneux Inspired by the "unsung treasures " thread, this was a blind buy under $20. My very first sniff of this stimulated a memory & catapulted me back to being around 12. The smell of "Ludens Cherry Cough Drops" hit me, not necessarily a bad thing, but definately unexpected. It settles down quickly into a clean very wearable fresh flower scent with the fruit toning down /morphing into rose/ enough to keep it from being either a gourmand or a rooty-tooty fruity genre. Feminine but refined.
    Very glad I purchased.

Edited later to add: Longevity on me is poor for an EDP
    Last edited by knit at nite; 22nd May 2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: adding
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Ophelia By James Heeley is pure lilac,it is beautiful I found the perfect lilac perfume for the summer.Here in my village every spring lilacs are blooming and spread their magnificent scent.

Today I've tested Alahine by Teo Cabanel,is a beautiful perfume with a vintage air.It is woodsy with spices,you can easily detect jasmine and rose with a hint of pepper.Very elegant!!
    Last edited by donniekaterina; 21st May 2010 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donniekaterina View Post
    Today I've tested Alahine by Teo Cabanel,is a beautiful perfume with a vintage air.It is woodsy with spices,you can easily detect jasmine and rose with a hint of pepper.Very elegant!!
    donnie, isn't Alahine beautiful!!! It is one of my favorite fragrances.
    And welcome to Basenotes! Keep sniffing!