Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Today I sampled.. ( MAY 2010 )

Today I sampled two fragrances; eau de Carier Concentree and Declaration by Cartier. I found neither earth shaking.

I'm just discovering the Madinis. So far I like Sahara (warm citron, myrrh and amber), Olive Flowers (it is like an old Guerlain oriental), Kamary (lovely and light rose and sandalwood- perhaps a bit of oud too) and Ambre. Salma is okay, but I don't think I'll be buying a bottle.

I bought Alma de Alma unsniffed. The notes are musk, amber and citron. I'll be surprised if I don't like it.

Today I sampled Cuir Beluga for the first time. I am in love!
    I don't know why I had not tried this before. Perhaps the name was not interesting enough, but it is definitely a comfort scent, elegant. The notes are: immortelle (everlasting flower), leather, amber, vanilla, mandarin, heliotrope. I can't smell the immortelle, the leather is very soft and to me it is more like suede. The mandarine brings the perfume alive, and heliotrope is one of my favorite notes. This is going straight to my Want list.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Today I sampled Cuir Beluga for the first time. I am in love!
    I don't know why I had not tried this before. Perhaps the name was not interesting enough, but it is definitely a comfort scent, elegant. The notes are: immortelle (everlasting flower), leather, amber, vanilla, mandarin, heliotrope. I can't smell the immortelle, the leather is very soft and to me it is more like suede. The mandarine brings the perfume alive, and heliotrope is one of my favorite notes. This is going straight to my Want list.
    Pretty great stuff , Arwen !
    Petty small minded people have no place in my life.
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Black Gardenia By Michele Bergman
    Lovely review, Mysticknot. Though big, fun jasmine sounds up my alley - would you say it's as realistically "gardenia" as the Lauder?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Lovely review, Mysticknot. Though big, fun jasmine sounds up my alley - would you say it's as realistically "gardenia" as the Lauder?
    No way Suga ! Tuberose Gardenia reigns supreme for realistic white gardenia for sure.
    I have got Black Gardenia on one arm and EL Tuberose Gardenia on the other,right now. The diffference is significant. I would say ,really, the Black gardenia is very indian, sweet jasminey vanilla. When I have been to Indian festivals this is the smell I remember - the Black Gardenia. It's a very lovely fragrance but you won't get your BIG gardenia kick from it.
    For a big gardenia kick ,it is definitely EL T G.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 14th May 2010 at 05:21 AM.

Today I sampled Soivohle's Purple Love Smoke, a deeply odd yet rather compelling frag. I've smelled a lot of weird fragrances, but this is ranks as one of THE weirdest fragrances I've smelled in a long time.

I'd describe the top notes as a mixture of burning teriyaki sauce and watermelon juice ( specifically juice - not the whole melon ). I wish I could come up with an analogy or note less strange, but that's the honest impression my nose receives! It's a little unpleasant at first, but fairly soon that burnt teriyaki disappears, to be replaced by warm, subtle powderiness that somewhat modifies the aggressive watermelon tang as it develops. I smell no violet per se, but I've experienced that in some other violet soliflores, too.

It's ugly-fascinating, like a piece of provative art that's fun to see, but you wouldn't want in your living room. I'm very happy to have tried it.

Very good longevity and sillage for a natural, too.

Basenotes Institution

Today I sampled Soivohle's Purple Love Smoke, a deeply odd yet rather compelling frag. I've smelled a lot of weird fragrances, but this is ranks as one of THE weirdest fragrances I've smelled in a long time.

I'd describe the top notes as a mixture of burning teriyaki sauce and watermelon juice ( specifically juice - not the whole melon ). I wish I could come up with an analogy or note less strange, but that's the honest impression my nose receives! It's a little unpleasant at first, but fairly soon that burnt teriyaki disappears, to be replaced by warm, subtle powderiness that somewhat modifies the aggressive watermelon tang as it develops. I smell no violet per se, but I've experienced that in some other violet soliflores, too.

It's ugly-fascinating, like a piece of provative art that's fun to see, but you wouldn't want in your living room. I'm very happy to have tried it.

Very good longevity and sillage for a natural, too.
    It is an interesting fragrance, Suga. I got a very earthy violet - odd ...but like you said ' provocative art. '

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    No way Suga ! Tuberose Gardenia reigns supreme for realistic white gardenia for sure.
    I have got Black Gardenia on one arm and EL Tuberose Gardenia on the other,right now. The diffference is significant. I would say ,really, the Black gardenia is very indian, sweet jasminey vanilla. When I have been to Indian festivals this is the smell I remember - the Black Gardenia. It's a very lovely fragrance but you won't get your BIG gardenia kick from it.
    For a big gardenia kick ,it is definitely EL T G.
    Ah, thanks so much! I think I may skip this one just now, then - I own my favorite jasmine, and have another favorite jasmine arriving soon.

Blog Entries

Today I sampled Vol de Nuit Evasion by Guerlain. Three and one half stars in my book. A very nice fragrance this is. Too bad that availability is so poor.

Today I sampled Etat Libre D'Orange - Je Suis un Homme.
    My opinion? Boring smoke withouth depth.
    parfyme.moo.no - et norsk parfymeforum
    Blog

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Sampled these over past week:-

Un Coeur En Mai
    by MDCI

Notes:
    petitgrain, galbanum, bergamot, water hyacinth, lily of the valley, rose, mimosa, black currant, melon, coriander, musk, Bourbon geranium, precious woods.

Somewhat like an impressionist-styled painting of a lovely floral garden done in pastel hues. Green in the beginning but reveals subtle shades of colors as the florals develops: watery hyacinth, muguet, rose, mimosa... Of these, I found the muguet to be the most noticeable. Even the typically distinguishable rose gets the light treatment and blends seamlessly into the light woodsy musk base. Created by Patricia de Nicolai, Un Coeur En Mai is an elegant very feminine floral, but rather sheer and short-wearing.

3.8/5 --- beautiful scent, modest projection, below average longevity.

Vepres Sicillienes
    by MDCI

Notes:
    mandarin, grapefruit, peach, pepper, green leaves, cardamom, muguet, magnolia, jasmine, ylang ylang, rose, tuberose, heliotrope, osmanthus, raspberry, cloves, plum, coconut, musk, amber, oakmoss and cedarwood.

Impressive official list of notes aside, this feels immediately much more substantial than the ethereal Un Coeur En Mai. I can pick out the tuberose and muguet early on but the rest is a rich well supported floral bouquet that somehow manages to stay clear of 'heady' territory. The quality of ingredients is impeccable and it needs to be to support such an ambitious composition. Vepres Sicillienes earns its rank as one of the most gorgeous floral orientals I've had the pleasure to smell.
    4.5/5 --- classy scent, good sillage & awesome longevity.

Meloe
    by Teo Cabanel

Notes:
    bergamot, tangerine, lemon, lavender, basil, neroli, orange blossom, jasmine, nutmeg, musk, amber and woody notes

Just a touch more natural smelling than generic citrus scents from the likes of Nautica. And just as thin and bland. Inconsequential. Or did TPC send me the wrong sample?
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 15th May 2010 at 06:06 PM.
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Basenotes Institution

Puredistance I by Annie Buzantian ( perfumer )

Top notes of tangerine blossom,cassis,neroli bigarade.Heart of magnolia,rose wardia,jasmine, natural mimosa and base notes of sweet amber,vetiver, white musk.
    Pure perfume at 32 % perfume oil in 17.5 ml spray.

The sample is really like a mini of the real thing- beautiful presentation for a 1 ml sample - my sample is shown in the 2 pictures above.

This golden liquid is precious . It goes on the skin with that ever so slightly thick sheen of a perfume with lots of oils in it. It's a beautiful green floral chypre . Clear sweet citrus,then mostly rose swirls with sweet amber on my skin , a touch of vetiver and musk. Crisp, haughty ,fresh yet classically rich in smell and dense. Drys down less sweet to some amber rose / floral and lots of vetiver on my skin. Why don't I get much jasmine ???
    More feminine but I think both sexes can get away with this .
    Smells expensive, it is expensive. Reminds me of Xerjoff perfumes - amazing quality. Quite a stunner. Just pulsates on your skin.
    I can see 17.5 mls lasting a good loooong time- you need literally a dab or two for this to take off and bloom into a 3 D scent of wonderfulness.

Puredistance is available in mega expensive crystal or in a plain flacon like in the 1st picture. Prices range from Euros 3950 for the really luxurious crystal and gold to a 'mere' Euros 165 for the plain austere bottle . Or a 1ml sample will cost ya Euro 9 . Hmmmmmm. Take the plain flacon. So much less Liberace .

Not a very original scent,dare I say, though the bottle and packaging are luxurious. So I say - 4 stars .

( Gee, I'm such a commerical ! )

*** C Rose - you got it babe !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 17th May 2010 at 09:37 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Santa Maria Novella Caprifoglio ( Honeysuckle )

I am deeply taken with this one note wonder. This is pure honeysuckle and long lasting too for an Eau de Cologne. Ah heaven................

An interesting article about this perfume..... http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/03/st...thy-scent.html

Caprifoglio sounds great! I love honeysuckle.

Basenotes Institution

Caprifoglio sounds great! I love honeysuckle.
    To me this is holy grail honeysuckle Suga. Lovely lovely lovely. So long lasting too which is surprising for an EDC.

Blog Entries

Turbulences by Revillon.

I'm kind of 'sampling' Arpege EDT from a mini I just received. Hmm, but it sure doesn't smell like I remember it when I wore it years ago, although I can detect a hint of the 'old' fragrance. Has this been reformulated to death, or would there be a huge difference with the EDP I wonder?
    Last edited by whitelace; 20th May 2010 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Natori EDP by Natori .Perfumer Caroline Sabas .
    Great review - it sounds luscious! Love the bottle too. I haven't been able to find out much more about this one, actually.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by whitelace View Post
    Great review - it sounds luscious! Love the bottle too. I haven't been able to find out much more about this one, actually.
    Thanks Whitelace- it's a gorgeous perfume.

Basenotes Institution

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood. EDP .
    Notes of marigold, virburnum ( a kind of shrub with small flowers ) orange blossom, orris, red rose, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom, amber, vanilla, sandalwood and patchouli.( Notes - courtesy of perfumesmellin'things.)

Thanks to dear Primrose for a generous sample spray !

To me, this is floral chypre . Light brown juice .
    A fine aldehydic start ( the naughty perfume starts all lady like ! ) ,slightly powdery ,flower tartness- a whopping strong sillage. Then a little leather animal starts creeping on in. This picture makes me think of Boudoir. Now it's just a naughty naughty perfume - flowers, pillows, some leather and maybe a little sweat.

A classic naughty scent. Definitely strong and lots of sillage. Not for the faint hearted but still I think this naughty lady is a puppy inside.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 20th May 2010 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood. EDP .
    Notes of marigold, virburnum ( a kind of shrub with small flowers ) orange blossom, orris, red rose, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom, amber, vanilla, sandalwood and patchouli.( Notes - courtesy of perfumesmellin'things.)

To me, this is floral chypre . Light brown juice .
    A fine aldehydic start ( the naughty perfume starts all lady like ! ) ,slightly powdery ,flower tartness- a whopping strong sillage. Then a little leather animal starts creeping on in. This picture makes me think of Boudoir. Now it's just a naughty naughty perfume - flowers, pillows, some leather and maybe a little sweat.

A classic naughty scent. Definitely strong and lots of sillage. Not for the faint hearted but still I think this naughty lady is a puppy inside.
    Mimi, I always got tobacco from this... Hmmmm...

Yes, not for the faint of heart! I heard this was a "knickers" scent, according to The Times Online. Now if they will only make "Les Cuisses du Comte." LOL!

Glad you liked it.
    Last edited by Primrose; 21st May 2010 at 02:31 AM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Coco Noir by Chanel

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Mimi, I always got tobacco from this... Hmmmm...

Yes, not for the faint of heart! I heard this was a "knickers" scent, according to The Times Online. Now if they will only make "Les Cuisses du Comte." LOL!

Glad you liked it.
    *LOL* I got no tobacco but it is abit of a 'knicker's scent I guess ! I don't find it 'unclean' at all- just a little animalistic- just a good old fashioned type classic perfume with a kick to it. Good stuff ! Thanks Primrose for the sample !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 21st May 2010 at 02:44 AM.

Yesterday, I sampled Etro Benetroessere Relent. This is a 2001 release, so I am a bit late to the game, but the sample was included in a swap.

It opens with a dose of powder and a very nice, restrained lavender. As it develops, the powder stays, but a nice amber breaks through. This is a somewhat linear fragrance after the lavendar opening. It stays soft and slightly powdery throughout. At first, I was going to write this off as unexciting. But slowly, I realized this fragrance could certainly have it's place.

I can imagine this as a great office scent. Specifically, even a fragrance to wear in a fragrance free enviornment. Someone (the fragrance police) would be hard pressed to accuse you of more than a scented powder. And I realise I keep saying powder, but it is not really an overpowering powder. Just the feeling and freshness of it.

The other perfect use of this perfume would be for a dedicated bedtime scent. As the lavender fades and the amber begins, you would be drifting off to a pleasant sleep.

This was nice, but not exciting. But sometimes, that is just what you want. I think I will use the rest of my sample for bedtime. It is fairly long lasting, and the next morning I could still enjoy the softness of this fragrance on my tshirt.

Basenotes Institution

So I was rummaging in the box of endless samples that I have and came across one of my first niche perfume samples I ever bought - Confetto by Profumum EDP. Such nostalgia for the days of ignorance ! *LOL* I just had to re try this one.....

Notes of sugared almond, amber, musk, hint of anise. ( I was on an almond kick back then .)

( Picture and notes from luckyscent.com )

This is a strange linear kind of scent. Imagine a brand new Barbie doll out of the box, stuff your nose right up against her plastic body and that is the smell of Confetto- a 'new plastic doll' smell- then add some vanilla as this perfume is fairly,densely sweet too .. Somehow the almond and anise ( which is somewhat strong in this perfume,even if it's supposed to be a hint! ) gives this impression of new doll plastic.
    Very long lasting- the ingredients are quality and you'll keep smelling it. ( All the ones I do NOT love are the ones that seem to last the longest ! Sod's Law ! )

Now I was put onto Confetto because of the 'similarity ' supposedly to Dior's Hypnotic Poison and yes,there is a similarity but I can tell you Hypnotic Poison is not only better,a more likeable almond ,easier to wear almond scent ( Annick Menardo LOVE !) but it's quite a bit cheaper too.
    Ava Luxe used to do Angel Face perfume - which is similar to this and a heck of a lot better too.
    Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum is a richer deeper better perfume as well compared to Confetto and very high on the glucose factor !!

My confession is this- that when I first tried this perfume several years back ,I nearly puked. So did my husband . I haven't 'nearly puked' this time because I think I have got better at sampling weird perfumes but this is 'plastic doll' at its very expensive best.
    Oddly compelling in a way I guess for some because I think it is popular.

My scent memory of this perfume is no longer wanting to puke- it's more nostalgic for the days when I first discovered niche perfumes ,Ava Luxe and Hypnotic Poison.

Confetto - a beautiful name for a perfume (- edible - like a vanilla wafer ) just a shame it's this one..............

2.5 stars !!!!!
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 21st May 2010 at 03:31 PM.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Platinum La prairie

a strong strong leather jasmin.
    I cant' smelled other flowers, other notes :-(
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Le Chic by Molyneux Inspired by the "unsung treasures " thread, this was a blind buy under $20. My very first sniff of this stimulated a memory & catapulted me back to being around 12. The smell of "Ludens Cherry Cough Drops" hit me, not necessarily a bad thing, but definately unexpected. It settles down quickly into a clean very wearable fresh flower scent with the fruit toning down /morphing into rose/ enough to keep it from being either a gourmand or a rooty-tooty fruity genre. Feminine but refined.
    Very glad I purchased.

Edited later to add: Longevity on me is poor for an EDP
    Last edited by knit at nite; 22nd May 2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: adding

Ophelia By James Heeley is pure lilac,it is beautiful I found the perfect lilac perfume for the summer.Here in my village every spring lilacs are blooming and spread their magnificent scent.

Today I've tested Alahine by Teo Cabanel,is a beautiful perfume with a vintage air.It is woodsy with spices,you can easily detect jasmine and rose with a hint of pepper.Very elegant!!
    Last edited by donniekaterina; 21st May 2010 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donniekaterina View Post
    Today I've tested Alahine by Teo Cabanel,is a beautiful perfume with a vintage air.It is woodsy with spices,you can easily detect jasmine and rose with a hint of pepper.Very elegant!!
    donnie, isn't Alahine beautiful!!! It is one of my favorite fragrances.
    And welcome to Basenotes! Keep sniffing!