Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default SOTD on You Tube

Started to do my SOTD on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfy76WpTjVw
    Last edited by Grant; 13th March 2010 at 05:21 PM.

Default Re: SOTD on You Tube

I enjoyed it!

Very nice! Please keep up the good work.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Excellent video and description. I especially like your description of the notes and their progression and longevity. Maharadjah is now on my to try list. Thanks!

Nice! (oh dear, it makes me want that scent.)

... and has anyone ever told you that you resemble a young Gary Numan?

I'll wander off now, with visions of a Hindu temple, old exotic wood, and waves of lavender and spice roaming through my senses.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

I really like your video. Your pronunciations and summary are excellent.

Is the carnation note here buttery at all, as it can often be?
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 9th March 2010 at 11:38 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I really like your video. Your pronunciations and summary are excellent.

Is the carnation note here buttery at all, as it can often be?
    Not to me, no. It is more of a spicy clove (eugenol) oriented carnation, and it's pretty subdued overall.

Thanks! Love Maharadjah!

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Not to me, no. It is more of a spicy clove (eugenol) oriented carnation, and it's pretty subdued overall.
    Good, that's what I was hoping to hear! In that case, this is going on my to sample list. I love lavender and cinnamon and woody balsamic drydowns. Somehow, I've not tried anything from this house yet. Any others that I really need to sample when I place an order?
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 9th March 2010 at 11:48 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Excellent--thanks!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

OMG! You're so cute.
    Even more so, than
    in your avatar!

I'm a fan!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 10th March 2010 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Good, that's what I was hoping to hear! In that case, this is going on my to sample list. I love lavender and cinnamon and woody balsamic drydowns. Somehow, I've not tried anything from this house yet. Any others that I really need to sample when I place an order?
    Well the hit masculine scent from the house is New York; I love it. I really enjoy patchouli homme (not at all a patchouli soliflore). If you like EDC scents you might like Cologne Sologne (citrus/neroli/rose) or Haute Provence (lavender --- Gorgeous); if you like leather, Baladin is excellent; if you like grapefruit, Balle de Match; If you like frankincense, i recommend Tonka Vanille (believe it or not); If you like modern fougere scents, Pour Homme is gorgeous, as is Carre d'As; For fresh clean rose, I recommend Rose Pivoine;

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    OMG! You're so cute.
    Even more so, than
    in your avatar!

I'm a fan!
    <<Big Blush>>

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    OMG! You're so cute.
    Even more so, than
    in your avatar!

I'm a fan!
    So am I, Le Grand Duc... so am I. He's adorable.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Your review is superb and for all the other YouTube reviewers this is an example of how it's supposed to be done. This is one video review I wish was a little longer for once LOL.

Did u lose some weight ?
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Your review is superb and for all the other YouTube reviewers this is an example of how it's supposed to be done. This is one video review I wish was a little longer for once LOL.

Did u lose some weight ?
    You are very kind. Do I look fat in my picture? LOL.

Very nice. A more thorough review than you think. Not too short, not too long. To the point. Nicely balanced. I hope you do more.

Wow! You have a knack for describing notes and accords that allows me to almost smell the fragrance with you! This video is much better than many of the reviews by younger guys who spend five minutes to say 'good' or 'bad'. This is how it's done, guys! I look forward to seeing more!

You might want to have more front lighting if you can't close the blinds behind you when the sun is up.

You are very kind. Do I look fat in my picture? LOL.
    It's not that u look fat in your picture, it's just that u look slimmer and younger in your video haha.

Probably caused by the lighting or shot angle.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Very cool and informative! thx

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    It's not that u look fat in your picture, it's just that u look slimmer and younger in your video haha.

Probably caused by the lighting or shot angle.
    LOL. Must be all the Pliates I do!!

I was very pleased with your SOTD video

However, is it just me or does the video seem to be slightly out of sync with the audio (like a split of a second off)?

Either way, keep up the good work! Like others here, I appreciate your contributions and look forward to seeing future presentations from you

Quote Originally Posted by Mindbrain View Post
    I was very pleased with your SOTD video

However, is it just me or does the video seem to be slightly out of sync with the audio (like a split of a second off)?

Either way, keep up the good work! Like others here, I appreciate your contributions and look forward to seeing future presentations from you
    Yeah, you are probably right. I usually record with my flip, I had to use a different software with my webcam... sorry for the sync issues.

Basenotes Plus

Another fan here! Hope you enjoyed doing that because we'll all be looking forward to more!

Thank you so much for your very kind words everyone! Basenotes really has some of the best people in the universe. I'll do my best to post regularly on You Tube. My schedule is tight... but that was definitely fun, and only took a little while. I'll probably avoid cluttering the boards of Basenotes up with announcement about my Youtube channel... so I guess just subscribe or check back often!

Great vid, mrclmind! I'm subscribing.
    Now I know how to pronounce see-j

Lay Malay has massive sillage!
    Last edited by Spray; 10th March 2010 at 04:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Subscribed! I'll inform the rest of the group of YouTube geeks to subscribe too.

Blog Entries

Until now I've preferred written reviews to video, but this shows that a great review is a great review no matter the format. Not only did I love how you talked about the fragrance's notes, progression, and other characteristics (your BN directory reviews are among the best), I thought you were engaging and pleasant watch and listen to. Perhaps you could simply post an update to this thread whenever you add a review to your youtube collection? That seems far more courteous than starting a new thread for every review and "cluttering the boards" as you so aptly put it. I'll subscribe as well, but there seems to be a good amount of interest among the members here in discussing your reviews and asking further questions.

Bravo!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Awesome! Such a screen personality! Your review is very detailed and descriptive, traces the whole ride with the scent, and communicates your excitement about the scent you like to wear. You stay on topic, your review is concise, and you look so neatly groomed and well-dressed, too!

I guess nobody can do this better than a perfumer! Keep it up, I'd like to see your take on the other scents you enjoy wearing.

BTW, you realize that because of your review, I now have to have Maharadjah!

It was nice seeing you on YouTube after hearing your beautiful rendition of "Tre giorni son che Nina."
    Last edited by JaimeB; 10th March 2010 at 06:48 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Being familiar with a lot of your written reviews, it was no surprise that your video-review is very good. And it was entertaining, great job!

couldnt ask for more!! Thnx!!

Nice tight and engaging review . . . thanks! This one has been on my list for a while - great to get your take on it.

Basenotes Plus

Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your SOTD reviews
    I love cologne.

Great job! My biggest problem with video reviews is that my attention starts to wander, but no such problems here. You manage to be both succinct & informative.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Perfect. Thats spot on a brief yet thorough SotD Description/analysis.
    Very, very enjoyable to watch, informative, I think we can file away the discussion about how a youtube review is done!
    Subscribing today and looking forward to more!

Oh man, everything you said about Maharadjah makes me think that it's the oriental of my dreams. Must visit Perfumed Court ASAP.

Like others here have said, this is how YouTube reviews should be done. Great personality and on-camera demeanor (I could happily watch you review a fragrance I have no interest in), solid scent vocabulary, and descriptions that make the perfume come alive. I now have a vivid picture in my mind of what Maharadjah probably smells like, which is way more than I've ever gotten watching one of Tim or Marc's reviews. Please keep it up.

That was absolutely fabulous! Loved it. Keep it up gorgeous!

Most impressive, sir. Maharadjah is good stuff; glad to see such enthusiasm for it.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Fantastic video! You come off so natural and warm; no contrivance at all! I look forward to all your future vids

Thanks, mrclmind! Now I know how to pronounce "sillage"! Consider me a fan!!

Edit: After a few minutes intense search, I managed to locate my sample of Maharadjah. That short opening is rather strange, but it settles down nicely!
    Last edited by Delmar; 10th March 2010 at 07:53 PM.

Today: Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPRLWaRHM6Y

Today: Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPRLWaRHM6Y
    I love that you took the time to spray three different places at three different times, so you could knowledgeably speak about the top, heart, and base notes...

Very well done...

It was very educational and enjoyable to watch. Please keep it up.

Thanks mrclmind for your fantastic video-reviews. It’s very informative and enjoyable to watch. I just want to simply say that, finally, the REAL fragrance reviews are available on You tube! I hope you can do this regularly because we’ll be looking forward to more and more!!!

I like your house.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I like your house.
    Thank you!! Actually yesterday's review was at my house. Today I did it at my work....

I know it's more work that it seems...I hope you can keep it going. Very enjoyable.

I love it! I subscribed and looking forward to more.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

So cool, so well done. Good work! Thanks for sharing your POV with the group.

Basenotes Plus

Another "triomphe", especially the "Eau de lemon pledge' comment !

Great video yet again! I love your sense of humor

seems you have a very nice place , great review also, very vivid.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Excellent reviews. They really encourage you to try these scents!

Blog Entries

I'm a huge fan of Eau Sauvage and now I must try Fraicheur Cuir. How did I miss out on this? I really appreciate how you take us thru the fragrance's development.

I think patchouli is often used to help recreate a chypre note without the traditional moss. Do you think that might be some of what you're getting in the heartnotes?
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Consider yourself subscribed.

AromiErotici

Excellent review video bro. That is exactly the type of review I would take heed to because of your real-time delivery and personality. If I wasn't acquainted with your fragrance experience on this forum, I would still immediately know that you were knowledgeable about product after hearing your description.

There are plenty of guys reviewing modern designers and that's a positive. My opinion is if you focused on the niche releases, you would develop quite a following. I would be among them. Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Eau Sauvage and now I must try Fraicheur Cuir. How did I miss out on this? I really appreciate how you take us thru the fragrance's development.

I think patchouli is often used to help recreate a chypre note without the traditional moss. Do you think that might be some of what you're getting in the heartnotes?
    Patchouli is definitely used in chypre scents. I can't remember if I mentioned the patchouli in the ESFC, but there is a very slight hint of patchouli. Not heavy at all. Just enough to darken the scent, but very, very subdued.

Oh my gosh. SO fabulous! So, so good on so many levels. Consider me a groupie!

Thanks again for another most enjoyable video!

I was inspired to wear PdN Maharadjah (from a sample) today. I had written it off the first time I sampled it months ago - probably due to that funky opening. Its now on my "want more of it" list. I've noticed Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir both at taxfrees and in certain shops in Spain (where I'll be visiting in June...).

Enjoyed watching the last few SOTDs, and noticed you had a Christmas @ the Bellagio - enjoyed that too, even though I live in Las Vegas. The Aria has to be the darkest casino I've ever been in... Everything is dark, chocolate brown. I definitely felt like I stepped into the 70's, but had to laugh at the comment about nobody with shopping bags, as I've noticed that too.
    The Bark Bites Back.