Code of Conduct

Default Summer Niche Fragrance For The Pickiest Person In The World (ME)

As a lifelong Chicagoan who has to deal with some of the worst winter weather on earth, I always look forward to the spring and summer months with great anticipation. However, this also means that I have to shelve some of my favorite scents that are better suited to colder weather. I would love to find something is truly perfect for the heat, yet does not sacrifice the complexity that you get with some of the heavier compositions.

Referring to my Top 10 below, can anybody recommend some really special niche scents (sorry, I'm just not into designer stuff) that would really work well in the heat? Please keep in mind that I like complex but smoothly blended scents without any sharp edges. Also, just to make this even more difficult, I've tried most of the better known fragrances out there so I'd love to hear about some lesser known gems.

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 7th May 2010 at 02:50 PM.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Default Re: Summer Niche Fragrance For The Pickiest Person In The World (ME)

Well, if you were known as CreedFan, you must know of Creed's Millesime Imperial. You can also try Fire Island by Bond No. 9.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    Well, if you were known as CreedFan, you must know of Creed's Millesime Imperial. You can also try Fire Island by Bond No. 9.
    I used to have one of those awesome gold bottles of MI, which is a fine suggestion. Hopefully, there haven't been any reformulations in recent years. Fire Island is also a good suggestion, but the notes were a little too strange to justify a full bottle for me, from what I can recall.
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 4th May 2010 at 05:13 PM.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Post Thanks / Like

What about Profumo.it's Mecca Balsam? Based on your favorites list, I think you'd really enjoy it. Deep, rich, just breathtakingly beautiful. Gorgeous.

Also, l'Artisan's Havana Vanille might work for you. I thought it'd be too much in the warmer weather (I'm in Texas so we're already in the 80's) but, in fact, the warmth really brings-out the depth. Creates this aura around you that's noticeable but not obnoxious.

Good luck, any way you go. Hope you find something to your exacting standards!

Post Thanks / Like

Parfumerie Generale - Bois Blond

Creamy hay, grass, and light wood notes. Summer in a bottle without going the fresh route.

Noir de Noir - Tom Ford

Rose, saffron, patchouli, rounded oud ( nothing medicinal here ). Very mellow and oriental, but not heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

You got these to choose from

Puro Lino

Just about any Aqua Di Parma (intensa is my fav)
    Guerlain Eau Du Coq
    Amouage Ciel
    Ormonde Man
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Post Thanks / Like

Ambre 114 works well in the heat of summer.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Amouage Reflection Man - it's got an amazing aromatic opening of rosermary and pepper combined with the 'whiteness' of ylang and orange flower (you can smell both the woodier petitgrain in the beginning, and later a very smooth neroli note akin to that in APOM homme), the heart is primarily orange flower with the rosemary and pepper offering a gentle contrast, and the iris smoothing things out further and adding a fullness and depth to the notes (and adding this sort of shimmering sweetness in the background - it is a light and diffusive sweetness though, not thick, concentrated, or syrupy).

As the heart fades, a gentle vetiver note carries on the background green theme started by the rosemary, and mingles with a nice, slightly medicinal mysore sandalwood note, along with a hint of patchouli to dark it up and a good dose of jasmine.

It is well blended and evolves quite significantly throughout its drydown, although there is a feeling of, as Jenson so wonderfully put it, "white cloud" throughout. You get a lot of white flowers in the mix - orange flowers, ylang, and jasmine, but it always remains just this side of masculine thanks to the spice and wood notes. And overall, the scent is light but not insignificant - heavier than your average summer scent and yet far lighter than your average oriental.

Its blending is soft and smooth, somewhat similar in style (texture, depth, etc - not smell) to Lumiere Noire and Chergui. Its heaviness/density is more like APOM Homme.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 4th May 2010 at 08:04 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Amouage Reflection Man - it's got an amazing aromatic opening of rosermary and pepper combined with the 'whiteness' of ylang and orange flower (you can smell both the woodier petitgrain in the beginning, and later a very smooth neroli note akin to that in APOM homme), the heart is primarily orange flower with the rosemary and pepper offering a gentle contrast, and the iris smoothing things out further and adding a fullness and depth to the notes (and adding this sort of shimmering sweetness in the background - it is a light and diffusive sweetness though, not thick, concentrated, or syrupy).

As the heart fades, a gentle vetiver note carries on the background green theme started by the rosemary, and mingles with a nice, slightly medicinal mysore sandalwood note, along with a hint of patchouli to dark it up and a good dose of jasmine.

It is well blended and evolves quite significantly throughout its drydown, although there is a feeling of, as Jenson so wonderfully put it, "white cloud" throughout. You get a lot of white flowers in the mix - orange flowers, ylang, and jasmine, but it always remains just this side of masculine thanks to the spice and wood notes. And overall, the scent is light but not insignificant - heavier than your average summer scent and yet far lighter than your average oriental.

Its blending is soft and smooth, somewhat similar in style (texture, depth, etc - not smell) to Lumiere Noire and Chergui. Its heaviness/density is more like APOM Homme.
    Thank you very much for taking the time to provide me with this suggestion. Unfortunately, as good as it may be, I found Reflection Man to be a bit overbearing for my tastes. Told you that I'm impossible to please! ; )
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Virgin Island Water by Creed, if you do not like this you are crazy!!!

Post Thanks / Like

APOM for Homme. I don't like it but I think you will, considering it's a Francis Kurkdjian fragrance that works in hot weather. No sharp edges, except the orange blossom is fresh and piercing.

You know, Windycity, it would be a lot easier to recommend things for ya if you specified between citrus, aquatic, green, etc. A picky person who doesn't know exactly what he wants... Now that's an interesting concept
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 4th May 2010 at 11:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Parfumerie Generale - Bois Blond

Creamy hay, grass, and light wood notes. Summer in a bottle without going the fresh route.
    Ding ding ding! Droooooooool, so good.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    APOM for Homme. I don't like it but I think you will, considering it's a Francis Kurkdjian fragrance that works in hot weather. No sharp edges, except the orange blossom is fresh and piercing.

You know, Windycity, it would be a lot easier to recommend things for ya if you specified between citrus, aquatic, green, etc. A picky person who doesn't know exactly what he wants... Now that's an interesting concept
    Another great scent!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    Virgin Island Water by Creed, if you do not like this you are crazy!!!
    Well, then I must be crazy because I found it to smell like a bottle of Coppertone!

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post

I've extensively tested APOM and it is definitely a cut above the rest. Yet, it still doesn't make it into the rarefied air of scents that I find to be FBW. As for narrowing it down, the best I can say is that I'm looking for summer versions of the scents in my current "Top 10" below, if that helps at all.

What do you guys think of L'humaniste by Frapin? I got a sample with my most recent order from Beautyhabit and I'm liking it so far. However, it does seem to be a bit linear.
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 7th May 2010 at 05:16 PM.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a bottle of MPG Bahiana. It's pretty nice for summer. Also just got a bunch of Tom Ford scents - Arabian Wood is a standout. I can decant some for you on our next swap.

I've also mentioned Lili Bermuda's scent library to you before - they're all quite nice as well.
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Midiguru View Post
    Just got a bottle of MPG Bahiana. It's pretty nice for summer. Also just got a bunch of Tom Ford scents - Arabian Wood is a standout. I can decant some for you on our next swap.

I've also mentioned Lili Bermuda's scent library to you before - they're all quite nice as well.
    Where have you been Midi? We've missed you!
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    Well, then I must be crazy because I found it to smell like a bottle of Coppertone!

I've extensively tested APOM and it is definitely a cut above the rest. Yet, it still doesn't make it into the rarefied air of scents that I find to be FBW. As for narrowing it down, the best I can say is that I'm looking for summer versions of the scents in my current "Top 10" below, if that helps at all.

What do you guys think of L'humaniste by Frapin? I got a sample with my most recent order from Beautyhabit and I'm liking it so far. However, it does seem to be a bit linear.
    I love L'Humaniste, and plan on adding it to my drobe sometime this Summer. Give a try to Biehl MB02.

Edit: I just noticed you expanded your top 5 to top 10. I thought you didn't like Sables?
    Edit2: And try PG Bois Blond.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 7th May 2010 at 05:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't niche but I was fully expecting to see Pour Monsieur in your Top 10, based on the others I saw in the list as I made my way down.

"Complex," "smooth," "no sharp edges"--actually, you just described any number of lovely chypres. You might have to go designer femme for the best of the bunch, though; Diorella and the current Givenchy III are excellent.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 7th May 2010 at 07:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

How about MPG Centaure? Annick Goutal Hadrien Absolute or Les Nuits d'Hadrien? Miller Harris Tangerine Vert?
    The Bark Bites Back.

Post Thanks / Like

As for narrowing it down, the best I can say is that I'm looking for summer versions of the scents in my current "Top 10" below, if that helps at all.
    In other words, a summer version of something lush, smooth and oriental? That's kind of a contradiction in my mind. Maybe M7 Fresh? It's rare enough to be niche... Otherwise, check out the Hermessence line, especially: Ambre Narguile and Vetiver Tonka. They have some gourmand, oriental qualities, but they come off rather transparent for what they are.

Hope they work for you bud.

P.S. I just thought of this now, as it's my scent of the day: Rose 31. It works amazing in any weather and never gets cloying, however spicy, floral, woody and musky it is. One of my favorite ambergris-heavy fragrances.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 7th May 2010 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I love L'Humaniste, and plan on adding it to my drobe sometime this Summer. Give a try to Biehl MB02.

Edit: I just noticed you expanded your top 5 to top 10. I thought you didn't like Sables?
    Edit2: And try PG Bois Blond.
    Yes, I couldn't keep shuffling my Top 5 so I decided to make room for 10 (actually 9 right now). I recently posted that I did a complete 180 on Sables due to the fact that my first experience was based on a flawed sample. I am now the proud owner of a full size bottle. Based on the multiple recommendations (including yours), I just added Bois Blond to my sample order from Luckyscent. I also find your recommendation of Biehl MB02 to be interesting since that was one I've had my eye on for a while. Is it really good?

I'm holding off of finalizing my order to see if you guys come up with anything else for me. I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

Brad
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 10th May 2010 at 03:52 PM.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    It isn't niche but I was fully expecting to see Pour Monsieur in your Top 10, based on the others I saw in the list as I made my way down.

"Complex," "smooth," "no sharp edges"--actually, you just described any number of lovely chypres. You might have to go designer femme for the best of the bunch, though; Diorella and the current Givenchy III are excellent.
    I previously owned a full bottle of Chanel Pour Monsieur but wasn't thrilled with it. Regarding your other comment, I've found that I don't like designer stuff, especially when it tips over the unisex line to the femme side of things. Not for me at all, but thanks for the suggestion.

Brad
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 10th May 2010 at 03:42 PM.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Post Thanks / Like

I would recomend you Divine-Eau Divine

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I couldn't keep shuffling my Top 5 so I decided to make room for 10 (actually 9 right now). I recently posted that I did a complete 180 on Sables due to the fact that my first experience was based on a flawed sample. I am now the proud owner of a full size bottle. Based on the multiple recommendations (including yours), I just added Bois Blond to my sample order from Luckyscent. I also find your recommendation of Biehl MB02 to be interesting since that was one I've had my eye on for a while. Is it really good?

I'm holding off of finalizing my order to see if you guys come up with anything else for me. I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

Brad
    I really like MB02. And, I'm not really going to comment on what I think it smells like, because I seem to get something very different than what it's often said to smell like. Upon very first sniff, though, I thought it smelled quite a bit like Dia, which I see you like as well!

Post Thanks / Like

These are a few niche fragrances that I like more for summer:

Geranium Pour Monsieur by Frederic Malle - mint, green, roses and very refreshing in hot weather.
    Declaration Essence by Cartier (niche?) - very dry and distinctive light wood fragrance. I consistently am asked "what are you wearing?" with this one.
    Jaisalmer by Comme des Garcons Incense Series - light and lively incense woods with nice patchouli finish.
    Nightscape by Ulrich Lang New York - very light silver musk and patchouli scent. Smells like a city street after a spring rain cools off the summer heat.
    Menthe Fraiche by Heely - Not for everyday, but it is a great mint refresher to cut the heat.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 11th May 2010 at 12:36 AM.

Two that came to mind were Hermes Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan, a beautifully smooth sun warmed hay/tea scent with dried apricot and subtle citrus overtones which reminds me of sitting in an open field in the country, and Malle's L'eau d'Hiver which, despite the winter reference, is one of the smoothest fragrances I know of and it works brilliantly in the summer casting a hazy, milky/fruity, clean, pure aura around its wearer.
    Last edited by nthny; 11th May 2010 at 01:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The heat here lasts from now till quite late in the year - lots of time to try stuff.

Generally I go with AdP Colonia, Villoresi UOMO and classic lighter EdCs, and I can see APOM being a fixture this year. But as you are looking for more left field options I would +1 on trying:

Geranium Pour Monsier
    L'Eau d'Hiver (paradoxically, given it's name)
    Osmanthe Yunnan and the original TDC Osmanthus (if they are not too floral for you)

and I would add these, all of which work for me (if the mood or the occasion is right) in 30c with high humidity:

Noir Epices - It's a Southeast Asian tropical rain-forest for me. A dark, spicy coolness - a paradox.
    Eau des Iles - It just works.
    Lubin Idole - Heart of Darkness - the Congo, like Noir Epices, a dark, cool place under dense foliage.
    10 Corso Como - Some say sandalwood, I say vermouth.
    Hotel Costes - Mix about equal parts Idole / 10 Corso Como and put on a white shirt.
    French Lover - robust, dark green, very cool.
    Linari Notte Bianco - A long shot - works if you like Pimms, very cooling.
    Lutens L'Eau. Let them all laugh. It's so safe it's positively anarchic.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 11th May 2010 at 05:27 AM.