104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Millesime Imperial

66 63.46%
  • Virgin Island Water

38 36.54%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Millesime Imperial VS. Virgin Island Water

Quote Originally Posted by Captcrunch View Post
    I actually own both of these and find them both to be great scents. I would give the slight edge to VIW as the scent that attracts me more, however as many have said I prefer the versatility of MI. What I actually do is layer the two scents. I will do about half a spritz of VIW and layer with a full spritz of MI. The results are amazing. It really helps to subdue the coconut and adds a lot of depth and attention to the creamy rum note of VIW. I suggest anyone with both to give it a try.
    Great idea on the light layer of VIW. I would give the overall edge to MI. It is Creed's most versatile fragrance, IMO.

I haven't tried VIW and I'm not big on coconut so I doubt I'd enjoy it.. regardless I would like to try it sometime. So I guess MI wins by default!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    wow... in my opinion Millesime Imperial is far superior.

I own VIW and like it a lot... but it is a niche scent - appropriate for being at the beach but little else.

Millesime Imperial is a masterpiece. Extremely versatile. both situationally and locationally. It has tremendous depth and complexion. It can even be paired with most other Creeds (GIT, Selection Verte, OV) to improve them immensely.

No insult to VIW, but MI is leagues ahead.
    Funny so many people say VIW is great for the beach. When I spend lots of time at the beach with suntan lotion all day, I like to shower and put a new fragrance on for the evening. But when the summer hits and I wish I was at the beach I can use a whole bottle of VIW in like 3 months.
    I post lots from my I phone so if this looks like a text message that's why ( :

If Millesime Imperial had longer longevity I'd place it higher POSSIBLY. Overall I prefer Virgin Island Water I'd say. My first impression was good but the longevity wasn't that great. After I sampled it more often the longevity was not bad actually Millesime Imperial's longevity on the other hand never lasted more than 3 hours and VIW's lasted anywhere from 4-7 hours.

Millesime Imperial is far more complex, interesting, longer lasting, well-designed, richer, classic -- just better all over.
    Virgin Island Water is lime, coconut, and sweetness. It's simple, overpriced for the ingredients, and doesn't last long. Oddly, I'm wearing it now. It's also fun and smells good.

I'm not sure if the question was fair. I mean, it's a bit like comparing a car and a motorcycle. Two different functions.

I have to say MI for both the versatility and for the longevity on me.

VIW has good enough longevity and I can not understand why it is considered as a perfume without duration. Its sillage is small, but that is another matter..

Basenotes Member

Lots of people here say that MI is versatile and that this is the reason for choosing MI. But most of these people also have GIT or Aventus.
    Scents you can wear whether it is summer or winter.

So why would you choose for MI because of it's versatility if you have GIT and/or Aventus?
    Isn't it better to wear VIW, a really summer scent, on you when it's summer?
    I'm curious about your reactions!
    Last edited by NormalUser; 26th April 2015 at 09:41 PM.

Basenotes Institution N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar

Ill have to disagree with most BNers here and say that I prefer Virgin Island Water over Millesime Imperial.

VIW has poor performance on my skin compared to MI, but otherwise it is a much more attractive fragrance.
    Album of the week: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972) - David Bowie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muh1pk7xc2k
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

I like VIW better than MI, but I think Millisime Imperial is a better fragrance, if that makes sense?

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by NormalUser View Post
    Lots of people here say that MI is versatile and that this is the reason for choosing MI. But most of these people also have GIT or Aventus.
    Scents you can wear whether it is summer or winter.

So why would you choose for MI because of it's versatility if you have GIT and/or Aventus?
    Isn't it better to wear VIW, a really summer scent, on you when it's summer?
    I'm curious about your reactions!
    add to my previous comment:

Most of the reactions here are from 2010/2011. On internet I read lots of comments about VIW and batch numbers.
    I often read that batches from 2013 and 2014 are very good, maybe Basenotes users must retry VIW?

@ freewheelingvagabond
    Which batch did you try? An older batch, or an batch from 2013, 2014 or maybe 2015?

MI because I overall like the scent better. That's not to say I dont occasional enjoy VIW. I find MI is more suitable for my everyday life, I have to been in the mood for coconut

Quote Originally Posted by Soul_Music View Post
    Damn, i just bought MI and GIT, told myself i'd buy no more frags for a while, but this is bringing back fond memories of the VIW i sampled... must... resist!!!
    Isn't that always how it goes lol

VIW for me.
    For sale/swap: Nautica Voyage, Individuel, Burberry London, Precious Woods, Halston Amber Man, Dirty English.

Blog Entries

Based on scent, MI for me. Not a fan of VIW.

Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

VIW smells better I think. MI is one of those fragrances I spray and Im like wow this smells good why dont I wear this more often? And then its like, oh ya because I get bored when I wear it, poor performance as well...

As for compliments cant accurately judge honestly because I dont wear VIW much since well I only have decant and have big 4.0 of MI but for what its worth I dont get many compliments on MI. I know for others its a huge compliment getter but its very ho-hum compliment wise imo. Maybe just luck I guess

MI is bottle worthy (or multi-bottle in my case) because it is truly one of the most versatile/classy scents ever made. VIW is decant worthy and smells great, but because of the few "scenes" it is suitable for (for me), it is a peg down from MI overall.

I am one of the few who don't like Virgin Island Water. I love Millesime Imperial.

Basenotes Plus

Tough decision. I voted VIW for its longevity and silage. I really like MI for the 2 hours I can smell it,
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Both are good in my opinion.

This is the equivalent of asking If I should keep my right hand or left hand. Both are incredible masterpieces that I will never be without.

Really enjoy MI. It's a must have in my summer rotation.
    I remember trying VIW and I remember it being very unmemorable.
    Last edited by prodigy1985; 27th April 2015 at 04:24 AM.