Code of Conduct

Question WTF!!!! Molecule 01

Ugh. I find this fascinating. The whole hoopla surrounding Escentric Molecules, is very cool IMO. I don't mind that they are supposedly selling a single aromachemical at an astronomical markup, just going by some of the incredibly positive reactions to them, it becomes worth it to investigate them. The Escentric series are pretty good, but both sort of tread water in a JCE/Ormande Jayne realm that I've seen before, though I certainly wouldn't turn a bottle down of either of them. But Molecule 01, seems to be the grandaddy of EM, receiving such zealous and dramatic responses as

"This is really a stand out scent. Each and every time I wear it, women comment. I'm buying another bottle just to make sure it isn't discontinued or something before I run out of the current. I can see me and this scent for the next 20 years."
    and

"My fiance and I smelled this intoxicating scent at the airport and followed the poor woman so that we could find the name of it. We both wear the perfume and love it, however... when I wear it, I don't smell it but get HUNDREDS of compliments on the perfume and the constant attention of my fiance. And when he wears it, the same thing happens. I don't think this is a fragrance the wearer is supposed to enjoy but I LOVE IT!"
    There are many more just like this. Those sort of responses have to pique your interest, right? Well, they did mine. And I am stumped, simply perplexed. I've NEVER experienced anything like this in my life, it's almost like I'm witnessing magic. I liberally apply the dipstick to my wrist, wave my wrist around (hmm not smelling anything yet), stick my nose to my wrist and .... NOTHING! Not a single shred of fragrant anything, it smells like I rubbed tap water on my skin. Un-freaking-believable. YET, every once in a while I catch the FAINTEST hint of carrot or lime and cedar, coming from somewhere. I've got some samples out, and I've contemplated it coming from my fingers or perhaps the sample of CDG 2Man, but nope, it's gotta be coming from the Molecule 01. When I say faint, I mean hardly there, yet still, up close, not a single thing is there. This is why I love this hobby so much, because of weird stuff like this .

** Quotes from Luckyscent.com
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 4th May 2010 at 11:54 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: WTF!!!! Molecule 01

Isn't this the line the one that sort of put ISO E SUPER on the map...or at the very least makes heavy use of it???

Blog Entries

Iso E Super is pretty brilliant like that. Until it goes into its distinctively creamy base, it doesn't smell like anything on skin, but projects that really interesting silage in a bubble around you.

Now that you've tried it, test Hinoki again. It's pretty disapointing when you realize that 90% of what you're smelling is just pure Iso E Super...

Oh, and TDH too. It's such a confoundingly confusing scent until you get Iso E Super. Then you realize how much of the confusing stuff is coming from that one single chemical.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Yes, many of the fragrances center around single or only a couple of chemicals. I know the Escentric series (01 and 02) have a couple more notes, but rely heavily on IES. But Molecule 01, is 100% Iso E, and nothing else. Molecule 02, is 100% ambroxan and nothing else. Now, many complain about the outrageous markup on just Iso E, but they don't have to buy it, I really think there is something to the borderline fanatical thoughts on this line. Heck, watch LuckyScent, everytime they get this fragrance in, it sells out right away. According to the British Vogue about Molecule 01:
    "The aroma molecule is so complex the body can only metabolise it very slowly so it appears to vanish, then reappears hours later, hovering like a stealth bomber over your skin."
    Many claim it not to be so much a scent, but an affect, creating an "aura" around the wearer, acting as a form of pheromone. Really, I find it fascinating, but unbelievably frustrating.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

But I can't smell it! I want to smell it so bad, I don't have the patience to catch the lightest whiffs of something every couple of minutes. Not to mention, I made the mistake of applying Heeley's Iris de Nuit, to my right wrist (100% not what I was expecting just from the notes) and it's trouncing any and all air around me, so I doubt what I COULD smell from the sillage of M01, will get to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    According to the British Vogue about Molecule 01: ""The aroma molecule is so complex the body can only metabolise it very slowly so it appears to vanish, then reappears hours later, hovering like a stealth bomber over your skin."
    If the editors of British Vogue are metabolizing their fragrances, they're not applying them correctly. The metabolites must be lodging in their brains. More likely, they figure it's just perfume - why bother asking a perfumer what's going on when you can just make stuff up? It's all just hoo-hah anyway, right?

Iso E Super is a large-ish molecule, so it's fairly persistent on skin. However, it causes rapid olfactory fatigue. Hence the rapid "disappearance" followed by occasional wafts.

It's not a strong scent on its own, and some people don't perceive it much at all. However, it can affect the perception of other smells fairly strongly, rather like olfactory MSG. I believe that's true even if you don't perceive the Iso E Super to have a strong odor of its own.

You might try layering it with something, mtg, and seeing if you notice any effect that way.

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    If the editors of British Vogue are metabolizing their fragrances, they're not applying them correctly. The metabolites must be lodging in their brains. More likely, they figure it's just perfume - why bother asking a perfumer what's going on when you can just make stuff up? It's all just hoo-hah anyway, right?

Iso E Super is a large-ish molecule, so it's fairly persistent on skin. However, it causes rapid olfactory fatigue. Hence the rapid "disappearance" followed by occasional wafts.

It's not a strong scent on its own, and some people don't perceive it much at all. However, it can affect the perception of other smells fairly strongly, rather like olfactory MSG. I believe that's true even if you don't perceive the Iso E Super to have a strong odor of its own.

You might try layering it with something, mtg, and seeing if you notice any effect that way.
    That's a very good, and seemingly spot on analogy. Also, I will most definitely try layering it with something. I'm really curious to see the effects.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 5th May 2010 at 01:24 AM.

Don't worry man, I can usually smell everything, and I can't smell Molecule 01 unless I just got back from a jog and my sinuses are clear. It's just like L'Antimatiere, in the sense that it's hard to smell, but on the total opposite end of the spectrum in terms of how it smells (L'Antimatiere is soft and thick, while Iso E Super is thin and sharp).

The best way to smell Iso E Super for what it is, is to apply it on someone else, or on some sort of tissue. I don't understand why, but it's nearly impossible to smell on yourself! Real strange stuff, I agree.
    Sales thread here

I find Kenzoair to be a much more detectable Molecule 01. I got a sort of 'peppery-cedar' vibe from Molecule 01, Kenzoair replicates this very well (I think its around 70% Iso-E-Super?) but much stronger, not to mention 1/6th of the price.

I wonder if people are more prone to become quickly adjusted to single-chemical fragrances?
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Wow. I thought Kenzoair Intense was just giving me a headache because I don't do pepper well, but I bet it is this molecule instead. I spritz this on, and at first it smells very strongly, on day I even gave myself a migraine by wearing it. Then about halfway through the day, I smell nothing, but someone tells me that is a very strong cologne I am wearing. To me it smells very much of Cedar, the wafts I do get of it anyway. I do not know how I feel about it. I don't get headaches from it anymore, but I don't really find it all that pleasing..hmm..
    I'm not your toy.

I can't smell much of Iso E Super. And I should know - I have a pure sample vial of it from the perfumers' apprentice. If I mix it up with some alcohol I could sell it as a Molecule 01 decant then? :P
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Basenotes Institution

I can't smell Molecule 01 either. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    I can't smell much of Iso E Super. And I should know - I have a pure sample vial of it from the perfumers' apprentice. If I mix it up with some alcohol I could sell it as a Molecule 01 decant then? :P
    Pretty much! I diluted some pure ISO E Super and compared it to Molecule 01, they smelled exactly the same to me. I don't think anyone would ever know the difference.

But I can't smell it! I want to smell it so bad, I don't have the patience to catch the lightest whiffs of something every couple of minutes. Not to mention, I made the mistake of applying Heeley's Iris de Nuit, to my right wrist (100% not what I was expecting just from the notes) and it's trouncing any and all air around me, so I doubt what I COULD smell from the sillage of M01, will get to me now.
    Maybe you should have a friend apply your sample and see if you can smell it on him/her. Based on some of the feedback in quoted in the first post, it sounds like maybe it needs to be on someone else's skin to be detected.

Also, if pure ISO acts almost solely as an amplifier (as I've heard reported...apply some Eau d'Orange Vert over ISO E and supposedly it becomes a powerhouse), maybe it really doesn't have a smell on a card, which has no smell of its own. Maybe it literally amplifies your natural skin scent, and thus is different on everyone, as a matter of course - but you wouldn't smell an amplification of...yourself. Probably.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 5th May 2010 at 04:27 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Thanks for the input guys. Some additional thoughts. If I can't smell Iso E, and many others can't as well. How come most of us (me included) always complain of that boring, generic Iso E Super in the base of scents? Does it magically have a smell when combined with other aromachemicals? Or are we all just delusional and have associated IES with something that's not really it? Also, when I go to bed, I usually scrub off what's on my skin, so that I don't have it interfering with my sleep, so last night I did the same with Molecule 01. While I was trying to get to bed, I sniffed my wrist, and I could smell something! It sort of smelled like Tam Dao, at about 10% strength, but it was there. And was still there when I woke up, odd.

What you find when you play with IES is that even if you can smell it when it's all by itself, when you combine it with other aromachemicals, you can no longer smell it. I do tend to wonder about complaints about IES in many frags when it's hard to detect because it is a pretty faint scent.

I've even tried IES at 20% concentration and the smell is still quite overwhelmed by virtually any other EO, or aromachemical.
    Last edited by JonB; 5th May 2010 at 07:16 PM.

Funny, I get a very strong scent when I smell Molecole 01 and 02. It's called bullsh*t.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Maybe try applying a tiny dab of it to your stomach, just below your belly button. This way, being far away from your nose, few molecules should reach it consistently thus preventing the molecules from accumulating on your olfactory bulb and causing the anosmia.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Thanks for the input guys. Some additional thoughts. If I can't smell Iso E, and many others can't as well. How come most of us (me included) always complain of that boring, generic Iso E Super in the base of scents? Does it magically have a smell when combined with other aromachemicals? Or are we all just delusional and have associated IES with something that's not really it? Also, when I go to bed, I usually scrub off what's on my skin, so that I don't have it interfering with my sleep, so last night I did the same with Molecule 01. While I was trying to get to bed, I sniffed my wrist, and I could smell something! It sort of smelled like Tam Dao, at about 10% strength, but it was there. And was still there when I woke up, odd.
    What may be happening is that people are identifying any woody/amber scent with being ISO E Super. There quite a few aromachemicals that are woody/amber in scent.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    What may be happening is that people are identifying any woody/amber scent with being ISO E Super. There quite a few aromachemicals that are woody/amber in scent.
    Which is exactly what I'm thinking as well, now that I know what Iso E Super smells (or doesn't) like. Interesting indeed.

Blog Entries

Like JonB said, I think a lot of people think that desperately-overplayed cheap-smelling woody amber note (the metallic one confusingly called woody amber, not actual woody or amber notes) is Iso E Super and it tends to confuse many discussions here.

Side note: I just smelled actual calone and it's not the smell I've been calling calone for years. Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Like JonB said, I think a lot of people think that desperately-overplayed cheap-smelling woody amber note (the metallic one confusingly called woody amber, not actual woody or amber notes) is Iso E Super and it tends to confuse many discussions here.

Side note: I just smelled actual calone and it's not the smell I've been calling calone for years. Doh!
    What does it smell like?

Blog Entries

What does it smell like?
    It's hard to describe, but I'm sure you'd recognize it. I have to admit that I can't name a frag that really features it. But I've smelled "seaweed" soaps that smell like pure calone. Or "fresh sea air" candles.

I always thought it was that Fierce smell - dusty, rotting melon. But it turns out that it's not. Which raises the even-more-off-topic question of what is that rotting melon chemical that's in so many scents now???

I can't smell a thing either, but I'm definitely going to try the amplifier thing!

Basenotes Institution

What does it smell like?
    Like rogalal said, it has a very fluorescent, bright, sort of sea-air smell. Bordering on ammonia-esque, it can almost 'burn' when smelled too deeply.

I had to try the EdOV and molecule 01 and it doesn't amplify the citrus topnotes, it actually kills them even faster, but it brings the woody base front and center with a little added cedarwood shavings thrown in. I like it, I think I may use this everytime I wear edov!

p.s. I usually layer molecule 1 with kyoto by cdg, that is great!
    Last edited by artemesia; 26th June 2010 at 02:17 AM.
    Live a wonderfully perfumed life!

All this talk about Iso E Super is making me very curious. I haven't been able to find Molecule 01, but it seems like KenzoAir is technically the next closest thing (ignore the anise and vetiver, what is left is Iso E Super?). It also seems like a more logical choice over Molecule 01 - it's way cheaper and said to have a good anise-vetiver combo working on its own right regardless of the IES. However, I haven't had a full wearing of it to experience the effect of Iso E Super. Can anyone give any inputs on how well KenzoAir reflects the nature of Iso E Super or if it's close to achieving the effect of Molecule 01?

These stories about molcule 01 are beginning to remind me if the tale of the emperor's new clothes...