Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rive Gauche PH

24 58.54%
  • Escada Homme

17 41.46%

Question Rive Gauche vs Escada Homme

Hi guys,

I'm here to avail your help in choosing a frag that I've taken a little money out for. The budget would be 30 USD (approx). I had a few fragrances in mind, but I've brought down the list and it's now a fierce competition - Rive Gauche vs Escada Homme.

I can buy 4.2 oz EDT of either for almost the same price (30 USD approx). I'll happily listen to any advice you'll have to give me.

There's this argument of - "You've already used Rive Gauche, so why not try Escada Homme?". No. Please don't say that.

What I'm looking for is - "YOUR" opinion. Because the noses here are incredibly awesome in what they choose. Which one would YOU recommend me to buy, and why?

If you have some other recommendation for me in the said budget, I'll be very pleased to note down your advise and then choose one finally after considering everything. Any type of fragrance is fine, as long as you think it's good (floral, aquatic, oriental, spicy, ANY, etc.,)

I'll specifically look for good projection and longevity.

Many, many thanks! :-)

Update: I just added a poll (top of this thread) to make things easier.
    Last edited by HammerFist; 14th February 2010 at 07:46 PM.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Rive Gauche vs Escada Homme

I personally would go with Rive Gauche PH. I find Escada PH to be OK, but nothing that special.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hi Petruccjc,

Many thanks for your opinion. So, +1 for RG PH.

But what made me think of Escada Homme is that nobody had anything bad to tell about it, while there are a few people who do not like RG PH.

Thanks again for your suggestion.
    Last edited by HammerFist; 14th February 2010 at 06:47 PM.

My vote goes to Escada Homme. This is a very well done scent, other then the fact that the dry-down has a bit of "old-school" vibe to it (IMO). Rive Gauche on the other hand has a piercingly bitter vinegar note which really bothers me every time I smell it.

I know you didn't ask for suggestions, but I really would like to recommend Imperial Opoponax by Les Nereides for a high quality sweet fougere. It's a bit more expensive than your budget at about $60 for 100ml, but IMO it still represents good value.

My vote goes to Rive Gauche, a highly versatile yet understated modern classic

Hi Warlandsboy,

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    I know you didn't ask for suggestions, but I really would like to recommend
    Er... I *did* ask for suggestions, but I preferred the cologne be under or around 30 USD. I'll note down your suggestion for a later buy as it's 60 USD.

But right now, I don't want to spend more money as I've spent a whole lot of money on several things (furniture, and some electrical stuff) this month.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I haven't tried Escada Homme, but I can't believe it's a better choice than RGPH. There are a handful of frags in my wardrobe that I will aggressively "sell," and RGPH is one about 5.

I've just added a poll to the thread so that it becomes easier for me to keep a count. I'll be glad if you guys could vote for your choice and leave a comment on why you think so.

Thank you all very much!

They're both good, but I would go with Rive Gauche PH. In my opinion it's a lot more versatile and you will get a lot more use out of it... Escada PH is not only good, but fairly underrated. However, there is a certain old world charm to it that while fun, limits it to a once in a while type of scent.

Rive Gauche is one of my favorites and a staple in my wardrobe. It gets my vote.

Rive Gauche gets my vote here.

Two completely different scents. I love them both. I voted for Escada since it's rather unique and doesn't get much air play on BN.

Escada homme
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Dependent

I prefer Escada Homme MUCH more, it got my vote. Escada Homme just presses the right buttons for me - light hints of booze, and a good dose of vanilla and woods. It could be just me, but I found Rive Gauche more old-school/world smelling when compared to Escada.
    Last edited by MFJ; 15th February 2010 at 06:24 AM.

Wow is this ever an easy one to answer. Escada Pour Homme.

That's interesting. Escada Homme has got more support (while weighed against RG PH) than I thought. It must definitely be a quality frag. I'll wait for another day or two and see where this poll takes me to.

Thanks for sharing your opinion guys.

Rive Gauche !!!
    It's much better !
    Buy a big bottle and you will have a very good time. You could go out wearing this and end up drunk in some bed with some chick ! LoL. High school girls love it.

Dependent

^ I tend not to go with Poll results entirely because I do guess that a Rive gauche fan may vote Rive Gauche even if he hasn't smelled Escada (and vice versa), and nothing wrong with that since your intention may not be to exclusively seek a scent comparison between the 2. I'd rather read what people have to say in posts.
    Last edited by MFJ; 15th February 2010 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    ^ I tend not to go with Poll results entirely because I do guess that a Rive gauche fan may vote Rive Gauche even if he hasn't smelled Escada (and vice versa), and nothing wrong with that since your intention may not be to exclusively seek a scent comparison between the 2. I'd rather read what people have to say in posts.
    Hi Matthew,

That's indeed a very valid point you are making.

The poll would help me make a decision, but that is not the only factor that would enable me decide on this. I added the poll later after creating the discussion in order to keep a track of how many people would recommend what. I would not discount the opinions shared by others here, as I think guys here (and their opinions) are too good to be ignored.

Thanks for sharing your thought.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by HammerFist View Post
    Hi Matthew,

That's indeed a very valid point you are making.

The poll would help me make a decision, but that is not the only factor that would enable me decide on this. I added the poll later after creating the discussion in order to keep a track of how many people would recommend what. I would not discount the opinions shared by others here, as I think guys here (and their opinions) are too good to be ignored.

Thanks for sharing your thought.
    Yup! Just sharing a thought. And you're most welcome!

RIVE GAUCHE takes it easily without competition. escada is a nice scent, but quiet boring and tend to get sweet and cloying.
    R.G is a masterpiece. its a milestone in the perfume industry. i think that in order to appreciate R.G better, one need to have wide experience in frags (80' powerhouses), that is why R.G is often associated with "mature".

Escada PH is the more interesting and original of the two. I love its booziness.

RG, while nice, is just a thin imitation of Azzaro PH.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Wow!

I was confused and I came here for help and created a poll. Right now I see the poll results are a tie between RG PH and Escada PH. And now I'm more confused, if anything. However, keep the opinions coming, guys.

Many thanks!

They are both fine choices, however. I remember reading in this forum that the Escada company was in danger of going out of business and the fragrance would become scarce. You might take that into consideration. Either way, my vote is for Escada.

Hi Slimbob714,

I respect your opinion. However, I do not want to buy Escada just for the sake of the fact that it *may* go out of business. I need something that is good.

I'll take your vote into account though.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Thanks everyone. The decision has been made, and the purchase is going to be Rive Gauche PH.

But since people have shared good opinions about Escada Homme, that may most probably be the next purchase.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Escada hands down

Escada pH is much better imo.. however..

If it were Escada pH vs Rive Gauche Light, it would be tough to call. RG Light is amazing and so underrated, it's all that's good with RG without the heavy moss, and the dry down is heavenly, one of the best. Wore it the other day, and the dry down on my clothing was amazing. RG Light is more similar to Escada pH, that's why I find it tough to choose between the 2.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Escada hands down as well (especially vintage edt with the big EE on front of the bottle).
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

As this thread was started in 2010 and there is no benefit in adding to the poll results in 2013 it is being closed.