Code of Conduct

Talking Cologne Grand Siecle by Parfumerie Generale - Fantastico! And All-Natural! And 96% Organic!

At first, I dismissed this one, as I thought it smelled like another indolic cologne, fashioned on the classic range by Guerlain, like Eau du Coq and Cologne Imperial. But no!

Cologne Grand Siecle is anything but classic. Somehow Pierre Guillaume has managed to use all-natural, (96%) organic ingredients (supposedly only using ingredients available in 18th century) to create something totally modern.

Grand Siecle smells something like lime-aid, powdery rocket candies and grass. It's fresh, clean, citrusy and has remarkable weight for an all-natural fragrance without a trace of synthetic musk. I think I also even detect the faintest trace of lavender in it. There's a bit of herbs and spice too, but they go under the radar, and just add a bit of complexity to the mix. It also lasts remarkably long for an all-natural fragrance, verging on 3 hours, before becoming a skin scent.

From the first whiff, this scent skyrocketed to the top of my summer wish-list, as it's just perfect for hot humid weather. There's barely anything dirty in it (except maybe a bit of indoles in the top notes), so it comes off clean and bright on those sweaty summer days.

For what it is, I think it's almost flawless. Of course, it's not going to smell unique like some of the other fragrances out there that use accords from an unlimited palette of synthetic ingredients, but it's quite a great feat for an all-natural fragrance. Definitely up there with L'Eau de Jatamansi, as the best of the best in its class. I think a nice rotation of L'Eau de Jatamansi in the winter and Cologne Grand Siecle in the summer could work great for someone who wants to wear all-natural, organic fragrances rather exclusively.
    Sales thread here

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Cologne Grand Siecle by Parfumerie Generale - Fantastico! And All-Natural! And 96% Organic!

Never hear about this one. Never smelled it. Now, I want to. Thanks for the tip!

PG is one of those lines I haven't given enough time & attention to. One of these days, I'm gonna.

Default Re: Cologne Grand Siecle by Parfumerie Generale - Fantastico! And All-Natural! And 96% Organic!

thnx for your thoughtful post L'A.

Thanks for this information L'aventurier! It is always very interesting to hear something about all-natural fragrances.

Haven't smelled this yet but looks like I have to

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I will have to try this one.

Cologne Grand Siecle which is no.7 from Parfumerie Generale is very good, ideal for a warm Summers evening. It's EDT strength and lasts a long time, a little spicy but not over the top. I've used this on and off since 2005/2006.

Not going to lie, I was really indifferent to CGS, it just sort of bored me. It was well done though, and DID smell incredibly natural. Another thing, is it was refreshing within the PG line, as it's really out of the comfort zone for Pierre, not in line with MO, IMO.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Per Luckyscent, it has a wheat note.

Added thanks - it sounds interesting. I tend to like fragrances which have great(er) amounts of naturals anyway. Just wondering: does this 100% or close to it natural stuff (essential oils, I presume, and the like) have an effect on a fragrance possibly spoiling more quickly?

Its comparatively easy to make EDC type colognes with a very high percentage of naturals. Most of the edc's/citrus frags from the top houses boast an 85-90%+ natural ingredient rating.
    -