Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Black Orchid is...

Awesome! This is the first female oriented fragrance that I've tried on my skin. To me, it's more unisex, but anyway, this is a great scent. I get cinnamon, honey and amber out of it. The drydown is so smooth and mellow and lightly spiced. Loving it!

Default Re: Tom Ford Black Orchid is...

I personally prefer the Voile de Fleur version. Original is a bit too much for my taste.

I have Black Orchid and Voile de fleur.I agree on that the first is kind of unisex one...very warm heavy spiced but Voile De Fleur is a heavy flowered tuberose scented perfume.I like Voile de Fleur mostly.
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

...and yet another male enters the Black Orchid fold!

Already got a female compliment here at work.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

I quite like Black Orchid; it's very distinctive for a modern, non-niche feminine. The Vol de Fleur is nice but there are so many white floral fragraces I like so much more that I can't imagine ever owning it.

I tried out Black Orchid finishing oil recently and I liked it better than the eau de parfum - go figure. Cheaper, too.

Tom Ford no longer push it as a female fragrance as so many men buy it, which says a lot. I'm a fan and wear it from time to time.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I quite like Black Orchid; it's very distinctive for a modern, non-niche feminine. The Vol de Fleur is nice but there are so many white floral fragraces I like so much more that I can't imagine ever owning it.

I tried out Black Orchid finishing oil recently and I liked it better than the eau de parfum - go figure. Cheaper, too.
    I've got that, it smells fantastic and the gold bottle is nicer too.

Oh and it lasts forever...
    Last edited by HDS1963; 5th May 2010 at 06:22 PM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

It is an interesing scent. I am always amused by this article...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...me-ingredients

Interesting article
    this is what I found
    Tom Ford declared that he wanted his Black Orchid to smell "like a man's crotch"
    ???
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Tom Ford declared that he wanted his Black Orchid to smell "like a man's crotch"
    Which puzzles me...with these so called "knicker scents," why would you design a woman's fragrance to smell "like a man's crotch?" Wouldn't that theoretically attract other women? Doesn't make sense to me.

I guess a good scent is a good scent.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 5th May 2010 at 07:11 PM.

A man's crotch?

Hold on.

*Runs off and sniffs a passerby's crotch*

then

*smells arm*

Nope, they smell totally different. Tom Ford is a moron. Well, a smart moron, but still, a moron.

Basenotes Institution

I love smelling this on guys. Very sexy. Incredible sillage. But here in Miami, I have to wait for cooler weather to wear it myself - it's too cloying in hot weather for me.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th May 2010 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Tom Ford declared that he wanted his Black Orchid to smell "like a man's crotch"???
    Gives a whole new meaning to headspace technology...

Not that they smell a lot alike, but I do note some "earthy" similarities between Bandit and Black Orchid.

I also note that though originally intro-ed as a woman's frag, I always see bottles of Black Orchid within the men's scents sections of stores. (Nieman, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom).
    Last edited by StylinLA; 5th May 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I love smelling this on guys. Very sexy. Incredible sillage. But here in Miami, I have to wait for cooler weather to wear it myself - it's too cloying in hot weather for me.
    And long lasting. I put it on at 6:30am this morning and almost 12 hours later, I can still smell it on my skin. Not strong, but it's there.

I also agree, this might be too heavy in the summer. Today was a cooler day and it was just right, but as I was working, it brought out a lot of the sweetness.

If my crotch smelled that good, I'd never wear fragrance. I wouldn't need to. What a bizarre thing to say1

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    If my crotch smelled that good, I'd never wear fragrance. I wouldn't need to. What a bizarre thing to say1
    You'd never have to wash your hands either! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Lol, true.

my girlfriend detected the crotch part of this and rose 31....I smell it too

I love Tom Ford Black Orchid. It's incredibly potent and has a wonderful sillage. One must go easy on the trigger when applying (the edp).
    Agree with Mikeperez23 above that this is strictly a cold weather scent.

I really like the smell of Black Orchid, but I honestly find it an *overwhelmingly* feminine fragrance. I know we're not really supposed to care about such things, but I just can't wear it myself!

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Tom Ford no longer push it as a female fragrance as so many men buy it, which says a lot. I'm a fan and wear it from time to time.
    Was Black Orchid originally launched as a feminine or as a unisex?

I recall the original ads featuring women holding the black bottle. (Actually, it's a very deep purple when you hold it to the light.)

I really enjoy Black Orchid.

StylinLA, you beat me to that article link! BTW, some women love the smell of their men...
    Last edited by Primrose; 6th May 2010 at 12:39 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

On the weather front, I'm going to be the contrarian here - I find Black Orchid best in summer, albeit a one-spray-only juice that time of year ( the sillage goes nuclear in heat and humidity ). The heat brings out the earthy, dirty facets that go into hiding in the cold weather arrives, in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I really like the smell of Black Orchid, but I honestly find it an *overwhelmingly* feminine fragrance. I know we're not really supposed to care about such things, but I just can't wear it myself!
    My wife thinks it's too feminine for HER. Seems like a unisex or floral masculine to me. Awesome frag. I actually like the Voile de Fleur better, and may spring for it. My wife likes that one, too, strangely, and will wear it, even though it seems way more feminine to me. Go figure.

My wife uses it from time to time and likes it. Too feminine for me to use.

Sur la Plage

...is f'ing fantastic! But you would actually have to try it on your own skin to know that.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Thats Funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Was Black Orchid originally launched as a feminine or as a unisex?

I recall the original ads featuring women holding the black bottle. (Actually, it's a very deep purple when you hold it to the light.)

I really enjoy Black Orchid.

StylinLA, you beat me to that article link! BTW, some women love the smell of their men...
    Ha. I remembered reading that and it has always piqued my curiosity. I get that "some women love the smell of their men" fur shur...but does that mean they want to smell like that on a date? I guess if you engineer a scent well and it has some sort of sex/human associated notes, it will grab attention from everywhere. Ambre Sultan and Al Oud hit me that way too.

That I can tell, it was launched a feminine. No mention of unisex anywhere I've seen. But in one of those unplanned twists, it feels to me like it has jumped, and may appeal as much or more more to men. As I said, the major department stores that I frequent that carry it feature it in the men's department which is in a distinctly different area than the women's frags in each store. It wasn't there when it first came out. This is fairly recent. (Yeah, I haunt the cologne counters as much as many of you). But if you Google Tom Ford Black Orchid, all indications are "women's fragrance."

I'll have to try it again. My gut reaction from a brief in store test was same feeling as i get from Bandit- another classic "knickers" scent.I don't know if I get "man's crotch," but I do get earthy; dirty floral. I can see the appeal.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 6th May 2010 at 03:58 AM.

It's good and on some levels better than most of his private blend scents. Only problem, it's overwhelming and cloying at times if you wear it too often. Not an everyday scent but so good you want to wear it everyday.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 6th May 2010 at 04:26 AM.