Code of Conduct

Default SOTD Tuesday 17th February 2015

Hermessence Vetiver Tonka

Default Re: SOTD Tuesday 17th February 2015

Sud Magnolia by Atelier Cologne

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Tea For Two

Givenchy Gentleman (vintage)

hello all,

Blog Entries

My mother passed away earlier this evening. She had a long battle with Alzheimer's but at the end, she slipped away in her sleep, for which I am very grateful.

I want to offer my thanks to everyone who has been supportive to me over the past 5 years. You're the best!

Join us in sampling Penhaligon's newest feminine, Ostara, a daffodil soliflore by Bertrand Duchafour
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/403...74#post3474074

We also still have room in our Penhaligon's Trade Routes Sample Pass--sign up now!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/400...antium-Lothair

My deepest condolences, 30 R!

Blog Entries

Thank you, easyfish!
    Join us in sampling Penhaligon's newest feminine, Ostara, a daffodil soliflore by Bertrand Duchafour

We also still have room in our Penhaligon's Trade Routes Sample Pass--sign up now!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    My mother passed away earlier this evening. She had a long battle with Alzheimer's but at the end, she slipped away in her sleep, for which I am very grateful.

I want to offer my thanks to everyone who has been supportive to me over the past 5 years. You're the best!

Many hugs, Roses!! My heart is with you.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Dear 30 Roses,
    Please accept my sincerest condolences. I wish you and your family much strength and peace at this most difficult of times.

Blog Entries

Thank you, primrose and gandhajala!

I'm going to hit the sack finally-- it's 2 a.m. here and I was too wired to sleep earlier-- I had an hour's drive to take the caregiver home so didn't even get home until 11.
    Tomorrow will have its own set of death-related jobs, including phoning Italy to tell my mother's SIL of her passing. I will need all my energy.

((30 Roses)) My thoughts are with you and your family. Be gentle with yourself.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Blog Entries

(((((30 Roses))))) l wish you strength & peace.

Cinema today.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

vtg.

Basenotes Plus

Morning Gang!
    (((30 Roses))) I forgot to read previous posts, I am so very sorry for your lost. My Sincere condolences.
    It's finally here
    Last edited by Viffer; 17th February 2015 at 12:19 PM.

I'm so sorry for your loss 30Roses I'm glad she passed away peacefully, at least. Sotd for today is Vetiver oriental. Hope all is well, with the redt of you.

Hello all. Heeley Nuit de Iris
    DONNA

Oh, 30 Roses, you have my deepest sympathy and absolute awe at how wonderful you were at taking care of her at the end. She was so very lucky to have you as a daughter, and I am glad her passing was easy. It is nice that she got to see your daughter grow before she got too far into the dementia, too.

Mure Et Musc today.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Montana Parfum d'Homme Light today
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Basenotes Institution

L'Instant Magic by Guerlain

I love this stuff. Sort of a preview of what later would become Mon Precieux Nectar. Almond, aromatic herbs and a light touch of musk.

30 Roses - I do not know what to say, except this: Be good to yourself today. ((lots of hugs))
    Quarry - I agree with you, cestrum_nocturnum is such a sweetie and deserves all of the accolades. She and I are constantly cracking each other up. Let's clone her!
    Rynegne - Aoud Cuir d'Arabie was a wild-ride yesterday...and not quite as irritatingly tenacious as Black Aoud which was a nice surprise...but for a couple minutes when you spray it on it smells JUST like a barn.
    "Human interaction can be hell. Or it can be a great spiritual practice."

-- Eckhart Tolle

30 Roses, I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I know it was a long, difficult road but you are right about passing in her sleep - it is what we all hope for. Still, I know it is hard now. Please know we are all thinking about you. ((((30R))))

TDC de Bachmakov today.

Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese today. Gosh, I love this one more and more each time I wear it. Mike, you're going to enjoy this one (saw you were getting a split.) To me, this is at the pinnacle of smokey incense fragrances. I've never tried Black Oud (I did try dark oud - not a fan), but C d'A sounds interesting for sure. I love when oud goes into that deep dark-wet-fungal woody territory.

30 Roses, my deepest condolences. Keeping you and yours in mind today.
    MadHat Scents

MadHat Peel - (Citrus, Fruit, Bergamot, Vetiver, Woods) Limited Edition Summer Fragrance ONLY 25 Bottles Available *15 of 25 Remaining Currently

Embers (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (NEW - Vetiver (Ruh Khus)-Sandalwood-Geranium) (Frankincense-Lavender-Green Birch Leaves) / Jour et la Nuit (***SALE OF REMAINING 95ml***) (Animalic-Chypre-Blood Orange-Smoky)

Blog Entries

Thank you, everyone!

Today I have to contact everyone and tell them the news.

I just called my dad's sister in Italy, who is in her 90s and speaks no English. It was awkward but Google translate helped. Italian was my mother tongue, as my parents had just immigrated a couple of years before my brother and I were born and spoke little English, but I basically stopped speaking it at home when I started school. So, while I understand what I hear, when I try to speak Italian I produce a jumble of actual Italian, plus the 2 northern Italian dialects my family members spoke, plus French from high school, plus the Bantu language I learned in Africa.

I haven't worn much perfume lately due to not wanting to form sad associations, but I am now going to start again. SotD is Empressa from a Penhaligon's sample.

(((30 Roses))), so sorry to hear the news about your mom. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Chopard Casmir today.

Thumbs up Re: SOTD Tuesday 17th February 2015

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

(((30 Roses))) my deepest condolences - she was blessed to have you as a daughter.

Erolfa.

Blog Entries

30 Roses, so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts today.

SOTD MFK Aqua Universalis Forte
    Betsy

Blog Entries

Thank you!!

I'm chugging away at my notifications. Have to dig up her elderly cousin's address in Australia now.

When Mom and Dad first applied to emigrate from Italy back in 1950, it was Australia they wanted to go to. Dad was rejected; he thought it was due to his history of polio and his pronounced limp. So I ended up being born in America instead.
    Which is good, for a perfume lover.

My thoughts and prayers are with you 30 Roses. ♥

Dolce Vita

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Tiziana Terenzi Lillipur.

Basenotes Plus

Junky by Jardins d’Ecrivains

My deepest condolences to you, 30 Roses. I am so sorry for your loss.

I handled the notification calls for my father, and was very appreciative that some of her friends offered to call or email their mutual circle of friends. If anyone wants to help in that way, it's such a burden lifted.

Hello everyone, and Happy Mardi Gras!

If there was anything that we thought would make us miss New Orleans in a big way (other than being near friends and family, of course ...and jazz ...and crawfish, lol) it would have to be Mardi Gras, but we just returned from Angers' own little celebration, complete with beignets de carnaval ...seems like people here like to laissez les bon temps rouler, too, go figure! I've been in Dior Addict for the festivities ...a veritable fęte de Mardi Gras in a cobalt bottle.

Y'all have a wonderful evening!

(((30 Roses))) - I'm so very sad to read your news, though I'm as certain your sweet mother is at peace now as I am that she felt loved and cared for her whole life, right up to the very end. I wish you peace as well, and sincerely hope you're able to find solace and comfort in the coming days.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

The Scent Of Peace For Him by Bond No.9

Comme des Garcons.

A while ago I posted about packing perfumes for my trip. I had decided on 3ml Tubereuse Criminelle, 3ml Fille en Aiguilles, 3ml Eau des Merveilles, 2ml Interlude Woman, 1ml Sahara Noir. I decided to also bring 1ml Daim Blond and 1ml Bois d'Encens. I packed them up yesterday (just putting them together in a small baggie; they're still easily accessible) and then I realized I still have 2 weeks!! I've been ready to go since like...January. I might switch Daim Blond with Fleurs D'Oranger. I'll do a little perfume battle later.

Blog Entries

Scent of the afternoon is Bvlgari Rose Essentielle. This makes for a really good Winter rose.
    Betsy

Hello all,

I am wearing Coromandel today, which has just risen to the top of my "recorded" Most Worn list. By the way, today is the 2nd anniversary of my joining Basenotes.

Basenotes Plus

30Roses, joining with others to say I am so sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences and a virtual hug.

Trilby Lark, congrats on your Basenotes anniversary!

SOTD is the incomparable Bois des Iles parfum.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

SOTE: Rouge 540 by Baccarat

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Happy Basenotes anniversary, Trilby Lark

30 Roses my condolences to you.

And Trilby Lark, Happy 2nd Basenotes Anniversary to you

and Happy Mardi Gras to all

That's life, isn't it? Happy times and sad times all in the course of a day.

SOTD is L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu. I really love this one.

30 Roses, I am so sorry about the death of your beloved mother. May her memory be a blessing. You were such a great daughter to her, she was very lucky to have you and I am sure the feeling was mutual.

I am wearing Monocle Hinoki today.

Trilby Lark, Happy 2nd Basenotes Anniversary!!

Mike, I was really glad to see someone else show some love for L'Instant Magic, it's one of my favorites.

Wearing Costamor Dulcess, which has notes of almond blossom, pear, mandarin, muguet, cyclamen, coconut, vanilla bean, creamy musk and sandalwood. It's a really nice coconut vanilla, I like it.

Have a nice evening!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 17th February 2015 at 10:10 PM.

Basenotes Plus

30 Roses - I am deeply sorry for your loss!

30 Roses - So very sorry to hear about your mother's passing.

Central Florida. 44 years old, de-clawed teddy bear who is as comfortable in a tie-dye as an oxford

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Sorry for your loss, 30 Roses. My warmest wishes to you and your family at this time.

"I DID NOT DIE"

Do not stand at my grave and forever weep.
    I am not there; I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glints on snow.
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    I am the gentle autumn’s rain.
    When you awaken in the morning’s hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circled flight.
    I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and forever cry.
    I am not there. I did not die.

Author: Mary Frye
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis

Blog Entries

Thank you all!

I love your poem, superfluousPastry.

I spent the afternoon at her place doing clean up and figuring out what to do with everything. Gave away her power lift recliner to another old lady in the building who needs it.

My feet ache but hubby will rub them after we get something to eat.

SOTE : Ameer Al Oudh

Basenotes Institution

All day today was hectic. 30Roses you've been on my mind all day - it's been so nice to read the thread and see you posting updates. I wish I was right next to you so I could give you a big hug

I rarely wear this (cause it tends to be synthetic) but I craved it's uncomplicated, solid-wood intensity tonight:

Sandalwood by Caswell & Massey (in a weird limited-edition bottle, but it's the same ol' juice inside)

"Human interaction can be hell. Or it can be a great spiritual practice."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

((Mike!))

Hug received and returned!

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Yves Saint Laurent Kouros Fraîcheur tonight
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

SOTE: Bois D'Armenie by Guerlain

Blog Entries

Oops! Wrong thread.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.