Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Sample Saturday (or Sunday)

I have so many samples and I almost never try them. So I have decided to start a sample Saturday (or Sunday) where I try a new sample. In the past I have ended up buying a couple of things after sampling. I thought some of you might like to join in. If not, I'll just let the thread die.

Today I sampled Estee Lauder Sensuous Nude. As a rule I'm not big on Estee Lauder perfumes with the exception of Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia (which I bought after sampling). I had great hopes for this one. It is a really pleasant scent that would probably do better in summer then winter so will sample again in warmer weather. After reading several reviews everyone talks about the coconut but I don't smell it at all. It just seems to be one big floral cloud with lots of powder and lots of bergamot in the opening. I've had it on for 3 hours and it is holding. It's pleasant enough but not special enough for a full bottle. By the way, the bottle has pink juice but the sample does not.

Top Notes

Bergamot, Mandarin, Baie Rose, Black Pepper

Middle Notes
    Jasmine Petals, Muguet, Coconut Water, Honey, Musk

Base Notes

Translucent Musk, Sandalwood, Amber, Melted Woods Nature Print, Heliotrope, Vanilla
    Betsy

Default Re: Sample Saturday (or Sunday)

Great idea. I also have boxes of samples I never tried.

So randomly extracting one from the box, what came out was Parfums de Nicolai New York Intense.

The opening is like the recent (not vintage) one, but more intense, more lemony, and with something green inside. Let's see how it evolves-the problem with these frags is the post ifra drydown.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyMeszaros View Post
    Today I sampled Estee Lauder Sensuous Nude. By the way, the bottle has pink juice but the sample does not.
    Betsy, I own Sensuous Nude, so I decanted some to check the color. It's not pink it's clear, the bottle only makes it look like it's pink. So your sample is right.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 31st January 2015 at 09:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Kiliwia thank you for telling me about the color. I always wonder about samples. It's nice to know this one is an accurate representation. I'm going to try it again when the weather is warmer.

Today I put my hand in my sample bag and came out with Lubin Gin Fizz. I assume it gets its name from the juniper berry in the top notes. I can't really smell the juniper berry but the top notes seem to fade rather quickly and let the middle notes take the show. This is an okay scent but it has an ingredient in it that makes my nose hurt a little. I've never been able to figure out what it is that causes this. So I probably will not be buying this one and will be putting on something from my collection later today.

The version I am sampling has evidently been on the market since 2009. However, I found this tidbit on Fragrantica in an article about the history of Lubin.

" Gin Fizz was first created in 1955 by celebrated perfumer Henri Giboulet, as a tribute to Grace Kelly in the year she won an Oscar for her role in The Country Girl. The name was inspired by a cocktail that was in fashion at the time in the American bars of Paris, and was synonymous with joie de vivre and a fashionably festive lifestyle."

Top Notes
    Bergamot and Sicilian lemon
    Messina Mandarin
    Juniper Berry

Middle Notes
    Iris and gailbanum
    Orange Blossom
    Rose Absolute
    Turkish Jasmine

Base Notes
    Swamp Lily
    Benzoin
    Iris from Florence
    Vetiver Grass
    Oak Moss
    White Musk

Last edited by BetsyMeszaros; 7th February 2015 at 06:55 PM.
    Betsy

Great idea as I also have samples I never try, mostly they are free samples I got with purchases, there are only a few I have ordered.

A random sample was Rose the One (Dolce & Gabbana), mostly rose morphing into something slightly woody, though the base notes include musk, sandalwood and vanilla. I got no grapefruit or other fruit notes, but then it is a sample with a dab stick,

Blog Entries

This past Sunday I tried Balmain Ivoire (new) EDP. This really does go through various stages. The top notes I love. Then it goes to a totally different stage where it reminds me of Opium or Coco though it does not share all their base notes. Maybe the cedar? This made me somewhat disappointed as why buy something that is very like something I already own. Then an hour later it changed again and went back to the opening. I really do like this enough to wear it 2 days in a row. Unusual for me with samples. It was still around almost 12 hours later and still holding together. It's not terribly expensive either so may spring for a full bottle.

Created in 2012 by Michel Almairac and Jacques Flori

Top Notes
    Mandarin, Violet leaf and Galbanum
    Middle Notes
    Rose
    Jasmine
    Iris
    Ylang-ylang
    Base Notes
    Vetiver
    Cedar
    Patchouli
    Vanilla

Betsy

Blog Entries

For future posts please see Sample of the Day in General Fragrance Discussion.
    Last edited by BetsyMeszaros; 17th February 2015 at 05:21 PM.
    Betsy