Code of Conduct

Question Une Folie de Roses/ Paloma Picasso - similar?

Is my nose playing tricks on me, or has anyone else noticed a striking similarity between Une Folie des Roses (Parfums de Rosine) and Paloma Picasso/Mon Parfum?

I sampled FdR for the first time this morning and was struck immediately by how alike they are in the opening. Normally when this happens a spray of the other perfume is enough to show me the error of my ways, but in this case I've been wearing both all day and the resemblance holds, 7 hours on (although PP -as is its way! - is still going much the stronger). A few small divergences along the way - the rose is a little brighter in FdR and the drydown a little dirtier in PP - but fundamentally very alike.

Would love to know out of interest if anyone else has experienced this...?

Default Re: Une Folie de Roses/ Paloma Picasso - similar?

I hadn't thought about the similarity. While I don't perceive them as strikingly similar, I do think you're right that they have some DNA in common. Likely, it's some sort of smodern resinous chypre base (including patch), which they both share, plus the rose. In fact, curiously, the sales assistant in the Parfums de Rosine store suggested me Folie de rose when I told her that my mom wears Aromatics Elixir. And Aromatics Elixir is the prime resinous patchouli chypre (though it has no big rose).

cacio

Default Re: Une Folie de Roses/ Paloma Picasso - similar?

Thanks cacio - seems they do have quite a few notes in common, so maybe I'm not going mad after all! I'd never have thought of the Aromatics Elixir connection myself, but I suppose it does kind of make sense now you mention it - haven't smelt it in ages and must go back to it to remind myself....