Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances with strong cardamom note?

I've become obsessed with the scent of cardamom. I'm looking for a fragrance where it is the focal note. In many fragrances that use it, it can either get swallowed up or its unique scent is buried in an otherwise bad formulation (i.e. Hermes Un Jardin Apres La Mousson).

Strong cardamom notes, anyone? Preferably something nice for spring and summertime. I'm looking for a good fragrance for spring, though Diptyque's Vetyverio is probably going to be my #1. Still! I love cardamom! And coriander. Anything with coriander?

Default Re: Fragrances with strong cardamom note?

Heeley's Esprit du Tigre might be just what you're seeking. To my nose, it can easily be summed up by two notes: cardamon and 7 Up. It's very spicy, fresh, sparkling, and sweet, with a faint warmth to it that's very hard to describe. It does NOT smell like tiger balm, which is its inspiration, apparently.

In general, cardamon has tendency to be a top note ( i.e. fade quickly ), so an all-day cardamon fragrance isn't easy to achieve. The closest I've found to that is Clive Christian X For Men, which has my favorite cardamon note in perfumery ( intense, rich, realistic ), and lasts a good three hours or so before fading into pleasant but unmemorable powdery woods.

if you don't mind the white musk, Noa by Cacharel (original one) has VERY strong coriander notes.

if you don't mind the lemon, Chic and Cheap by Moschino also has VERY strong coriander notes.

if you don't mind the mud and the vanilla, and the fact that it's very strong- you might like Jungle elephant by Kenzo. it has VERY strong cardamom notes
    Last edited by w3pearl; 5th May 2010 at 07:22 PM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

JM Vintage Gardenia has the unlikely combination of gardenia (of course), plus cardamom and myrrh! Yesterday, I got a lot more of the myrrh. However, the first couple of times that I wore this one, I was struck by how much I liked the cardamom in combination with the gardenia. Nice one to consider as we head into the warmest months here...

I second Jungle elephant for cardamom. You should also try Vivienne Westwood Anglomania for cardamom too.

Basenotes Institution

Cardamome by Nelly Rodi and/or Jaisalmer (Series 3: Incense) by Comme des Garcons

The NR is extremely hard to find, but if you can source some I think it is exactly what you're looking for. I remember it was one of the blind samples in one of the 3x3 sniffs that we held a year or so ago, here on the Female board and I was so intrigued by the descriptions that the participants were commenting that once the blind sample was revealed to be Cardamome, I got a sample just to be able to smell it myself. And when I sprayed it on and brought my arm to my nose it smelled JUST LIKE you crushed a cardamom pod in your hand. Amazing.

Jaisalmer is a bit sharp (aldehydes and/or Iso-E-Super...I'm thinking?) but if you like a bit of incense and other nose-tickling spices thrown in with your cardamom, this should do the trick.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th May 2010 at 08:32 PM.

As a huge fan of cardamon, thank you, Mike, for alerting us to this obscure fragrance!

Feminite du Bois by Shiseido is very similar to Kenzo Elephant and they both are strong spicy woody perfumes with prominent note of cardamon.
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Quote Originally Posted by w3pearl View Post
    if you don't mind the white musk, Noa by Cacharel (original one) has VERY strong coriander notes.

if you don't mind the lemon, Chic and Cheap by Moschino also has VERY strong coriander notes.

if you don't mind the mud and the vanilla, and the fact that it's very strong- you might like Jungle elephant by Kenzo. it has VERY strong cardamom notes
    I actually have a sample of Jungle Elephant somewhere around here. I got it AGES ago from The Perfumed Court and completely forgot how terrific it is. Thanks for reminding me!

I like the cardamom note in Ormonde Woman. It isn't overwhelming, but it's there!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I looove cardamom, too. Bvlgari Eau Parfumee au The Vert Extreme has a strong cardamom note in it. (I'm sure the non-"Extreme" version does too, but I happen to use the Extreme).
    Last edited by turquoisewater; 5th May 2010 at 09:35 PM.

Clive Christian No.1 for men.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The NR is extremely hard to find, but if you can source some I think it is exactly what you're looking for. I remember it was one of the blind samples in one of the 3x3 sniffs that we held a year or so ago, here on the Female board and I was so intrigued by the descriptions that the participants were commenting that once the blind sample was revealed to be Cardamome, I got a sample just to be able to smell it myself. And when I sprayed it on and brought my arm to my nose it smelled JUST LIKE you crushed a cardamom pod in your hand. Amazing.
    I was one of the sniffers in that round and can vouch for the extreme cardamommyness of that scent. It's the airiest/most summer-appropriate cardamom scent I know of, as well.

Kenzo Jungle L'Éléphant is a must-try as well, though *very* heavy. Overspray at your own risk.

Similar to l'Éléphant but less oppressive and less achingly sweet: Parfums d'Empire Aziyadé.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Basenotes Plus

The different company's Jasmine de Nuit, the older bottles without the sleeve. In it, the cardamon has literally taken over the scent. I recently returned a bottle for that reason.
    If you are interested in this, pm me & I'll tell you where you can buy it. The store is selling their old stock. (Not from me & no affiliation.)

Check out perfumer, Dawn spencer Hurwitz. I did a search on the note & turned up a few choices for you. https://www.dshperfumes.com/search_r...m co2 Absolute
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    I was one of the sniffers in that round and can vouch for the extreme cardamommyness of that scent. It's the airiest/most summer-appropriate cardamom scent I know of, as well...
    I love the word cardamommyness, veuve! :-)

Add me to the list of cardamom lovers. BigPharma, have you tried L'Artisan Parfumeur's L’Eau de Jatamansi? It has a distinct cardamom note, and it's perfect for summer! And welcome to Basenotes!

I get Cardamom out of Kenzo Power.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

For the second time 5 minutes I am going to mention Cartier Declaration! It's more known for its cumin, but I find that it has more of a smooth cardamom feeling to it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I second L'Eau de Jatamansi here for cardamom. Although I love it, Kenzo Jungle L'Élephant may be kind of heavy this time of year.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

The big winner for me is DSH Cardamom and Khyphi, it's stunning!

+1 Jaisalmer and Declaration
    bboth have very beautiful and realistic cardamom top notes that quite endure....fresh but resinous with a touc of citric bitterness

cheers

Pablo

Hi and Welcome BigPharma. I recommend Bulgari's Omnia (brown, entwined rings bottle). The notes include: black pepper, mandarin, masala tea, saffron, ginger, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond, chocolate, lotus blossom, and sandalwood. I would call it a summery cardamom scent, as it has the usual Bulgari light touch.

Thanks for starting this thread - I'm looking forward to trying some of the other cardamommy scents listed !!
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

The new Hermes - Voyage d'Hermes.
    Just received a sample and so far have only sprayed it on paper, but the first thing I noticed was cardamom.
    Last edited by turquoisewater; 19th May 2010 at 09:07 PM.

For a cheap thrill, you might try Tokyo Milk's Ex Libris 16: Fig leaf, magnolia, musk and cardamom. Spicy and very unisex.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    The new Hermes - Voyage d'Hermes.
    Just received a sample and so far have only sprayed it on paper, but the first thing I noticed was cardamom.
    Can't wait to try this one!

Blog Entries

Penhaligon's Amaranthine has a cardamom note as well.

Xerjoff Nio has a coriander and cardamom that is heavenly! Fresh, fresh, fresh! (and woody and spicy too.) And it has good longevity.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Eau d'Hermes - that one is ALL cardamom to me. A nice, light, summertime animalic cardamom.
    Definitely worth a try

I guess my time for some obsessions with cardamom and other "herbs"

For now had just Valentino Gold and Hermes(es) - two of them(voyage and EAU) - cardamomy ones

Maybe someone else will come up with another new suggestions. Kenzo Elephant to be full of gloves, not cardamom, I do make fresh coffee with both of these spicies and see the difference))

Amouage Opus VII (Man) has a very strong cardamom note. This was too much for my nose!

I also got it from Fate Man and Interlude Man but to a lesser degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyuba View Post
    I guess my time for some obsessions with cardamom and other "herbs"

For now had just Valentino Gold and Hermes(es) - two of them(voyage and EAU) - cardamomy ones

Maybe someone else will come up with another new suggestions. Kenzo Elephant to be full of gloves, not cardamom, I do make fresh coffee with both of these spicies and see the difference))
    Lyuba, see if you can get a hold of Cardamom Vegetalis by Berdoues 1902. The dominant note throughout is cardamom. Looks like something you might like.

(2527)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Korres - Saffron Amber Agarwood Cardamon

Comme des Garcons - Blue Encens. Official notes: aromatic artemisia, frozen spices (Indian cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon), mystical incense, mineral crystal amber.

It plays a fairly large role in La Nuit
    Well enjoying what you're wearing is crucial, it is of the utmost importance to wear something that others like as well.

Well as a cardaom lover myself It was a great reminder to brief though all above comment. My latest cardamom love is the hideously expensiv but very well executed Trayee, by Neela Vermeire(Bombay bling does aswell)!
    Amouages Epic hold quite a bit of cardamom too, By Kilian Musc oud is at start a very nice Cardamom-rose concoction..Manceras sand aoud, my Sotd, has cardamom aswell mixed up with other spices.. and I love NY for all by bond no9 is loaded with cardamom

Amouage Lyric Woman has a very prominent cardamom note. For some reason, I like to wear this when I'm out at dinner, it's almost like sprinkling cardamom on my meal.

Six Scents Series 3 no 6, Ohne Titel M, is a creamy cardamom and animalic leather scent by Yann Vasnier. A really good and overlooked fragrance if you don't mind animalic notes (civet, castoretum).

I also second Hermes Voyage d'Hermes in the EDT or parfum for a lighter cologne laced with cardamom.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Lyuba, see if you can get a hold of Cardamom Vegetalis by Berdoues 1902. The dominant note throughout is cardamom. Looks like something you might like.

(2527)
    Cool, thats just great, it is AVAILABLE in UK! Put in my wish list and - thank you!

Have to put in another recommendation for Cartier Declaration, which has a big delicious dose of cardamom which lasts a good while, supported by juniper wood (cade), orris, and vetiver. (There's no cumin. I think folks just confuse cardamom with cumin.)