Code of Conduct

Default What was the perfume that made you the most happy when you bought?

Well,you can submit those perfumes that made you the most happy when you bought,please
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Default Re: What was the perfume that made you the most happy when you bought?

I was thrilled to have my own big 'bottle' of Paestum Rose!

Reine

Mine was Xeryus Rouge
    i also felt so happy when my first online purchase arrived, it was Encre noire ....

Mine was Neroli by Annick Goutal (Neroli is my favorite note in perfumes).
    It also made me happy my first on line purchase of Sweet Courreges by Courrege
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I love all of my darlings. All. It would be like choosing a favorite child.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    Yes this is true !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

The one that made me happiest was my first vintage bottle of My Sin parfum. I think it was the memories attached to the scent and the idea that I may never get my hands on another.

Another more accessible thrill of joy was mine when I bought a bottle of my grandmother's scent Miss Dior, I sprayed some on my wrist and luxuriated in the "presence" of this scent. It is truly my comfort fragrance and I have some back ups.

Oh, I think it must be about a month ago, when I was in the little local perfume shop and spied, among the Idylles and Insolences, a lone mini of L'Heure Bleue. They opened the box so I could try it, and I took my first whiff of a Guerlain classic. Marked down from $35 to $10, it was mine!

I have to admit, one is Baby Doll (YSL). Smells like ruby red grapefruit sprinkled with a little sugar. Glorious. I get such a lift wearing it. It always makes me happy.

Another contender but I didn't buy it. I inherited my mother's vintage bottle of Evening in Paris, and that makes me happy having something of hers so personal. I don't wear it, but one day I'll go there.
    Last edited by whitelace; 6th May 2010 at 06:06 PM.

I can say that finally getting my hands on Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum was satisfying. I've tried at Chanel in other cities, but the only place that is sure to have it in stock is Chanel in Paris, so I finally decided to spend a day shopping in Paris. Not a big sacrifice, and it sure beats paying a huge markup (and an astronomical shipping fee on top of that!) on ebay.
    Last edited by tott; 6th May 2010 at 04:57 PM.

I would have to say it was Bond No. 9 Silver Factory. This is only because some girl had broken up with her cheating boyfriend and she was offloading all of his stuff including some very nice fragrances. I got a 3.3oz Silver Factory for way less than $100. That made me happy!! LOL

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

This is an interesting question. My initial knee-jerk reaction was that all my fragrances make me happy when I first buy them.

But looking at my wardrobe and remembering what it was like for me when I bought each purchase, I have to say the ones that made me the happiest at the time of purchase were those that I had either had to wait to buy for whatever reason, or else had agonized about buying, because of the price or some other reason.

Deciding to buy them after waiting and agonizing must have caused a big release of neurotransmitters, leading to the sensation of pleasure.

These were:

Laura Ashley No. 1, which I bought to wear at my wedding; at the time, that was the most I had spent on a fragrance, and I had visited the shop numerous times on my lunch break to sniff it. Buying it at last was a rush.

C&E Evelyn (which I had been wanting for months when I finally got it for Christmas from my husband.)

L'Artisan Fleur d'Oranger, which I had such mixed feelings about for months, and also hesitated to buy because of the high price. I was thrilled when I finally bought it.

So, maybe instant gratification is not such a good thing when it comes to enjoyment-- we really do appreciate more the things we have to wait for. I will have to think about that and how it relates to my perfume shopping.

Ambra del Nepal, for the fragrance and also because it can't be bought here, I made my purchase via a kindly Basenotes member. It is a real luxury to me and I don't know if I'll ever buy another bottle.
    Ormonde Jayne Frangipani, for the fragrance and also because I bought it from the OJ shop which was a real treat.
    Any Coco Mademoiselle purchase makes me really happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    And also agreeing with mysticknot, this is true.

That being said, perhaps buying Habit Rouge eau de parfum (Beau Cavalier) and Mouchoir de Monsieur in the bee bottle.
    Last edited by Primrose; 6th May 2010 at 06:09 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Parfumerie Generale PG 16. This was my first niche, and the most expencive perfume I've ever bought. The scent makes me really happy, and remind me of summer and home. And the store I bought it in (Les Senteurs) gave us such exellent service

Years ago I ordered a bottle of Lanvin Arpege EdT from a mail order catalog; when it arrived I was so delighted and pleased. That delight has been rarely matched in the years since. The EdT of Arpege is still my favorite version of the modern formula, though it's very hard to find.

Biggest thrill to date -- when I was in NYC last month, I visited the Malle store on Madison Avenue. I sniffed everything and bought Iris Poudre and Une Rose. I was so thrilled with the scents and the extravagance of getting TWO! And the SAs are terribly nice at that location, and gave me some samples too. (& sniffing them at night really cheered me up in my dark hotel room.) Another thrill was going to the Le Labo store.
    My ultimate thrill will be, I'm sure, finally getting my hands on a full bottle of Iris Silver Mist. I have some friends who live in Paris, but haven't yet tasked them with this mission. Maybe I'll wait till I can go get it myself! I'm thinking, as per 30 Roses:, "we really do appreciate more the things we have to wait for."

Blog Entries

The happiest experience relative to fragrance in my life is Mitsouko. Charlie Chaplin, Ingrid Bergman and I are one in appreciation of this magnificent fragrance. I know this comes as a surprise (LOL).
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 8th May 2010 at 08:47 PM.

I almost feel like I'm choosing a favourite child, so can't pinpoint one...However, getting Cuir de russie,Mitsouko,Chergui, Sa majeste la rose and Sous le vent are hightlights so far.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 6th May 2010 at 07:13 PM.

summer means fireflys

Oh, this is hard to pick just one! I'm going to say buying my Fumerie Turque. I had lusted after it for a really long time, and then heard it was going to be a limited edition export frag! I waited and kept checking and as soon as it became available at Barney's I was on the phone ordering it! Like 30 Roses said, we do appreciate the things we have to wait for. I think the waiting and planning made it all that much more special. And now I get to do the same thing for Cuir Mauresque and I can't wait!!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reine View Post
    I was thrilled to have my own big 'bottle' of Paestum Rose!

Reine
    With all do respect, your majesty, that juice is vile ... eeew!

I got most happy, when I resently recieved my 50ml sealed Poison Esprit de Parfum.
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 6th May 2010 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    Biggest thrill to date -- when I was in NYC last month, I visited the Malle store on Madison Avenue. I sniffed everything and bought Iris Poudre and Une Rose. I was so thrilled with the scents and the extravagance of getting TWO! And the SAs are terribly nice at that location, and gave me some samples too. (& sniffing them at night really cheered me up in my dark hotel room.) Another thrill was going to the Le Labo store.
    My ultimate thrill will be, I'm sure, finally getting my hands on a full bottle of Iris Silver Mist. I have some friends who live in Paris, but haven't yet tasked them with this mission. Maybe I'll wait till I can go get it myself! I'm thinking, as per 30 Roses:, "we really do appreciate more the things we have to wait for."
    Ooh! Nice! (and though I agree with 30 Roses and think that your purchasing a scent IN PARIS would be amazing...) my adventure into scent since October '09 has been immensely satisfying altogether. My Sycomore purchase was probably my most satisfying, as it is a scent I know I will definitely use the entire crazy 200 ml bottle of with no regrets whatsoever.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Even though all of my scents make me feel happy beyond words, I guess one memory in particular stands out.
    I had already received many scents when I was a young girl, but when I went and "purchased" for the first time for myself; birthday money purchase of course. I went to a small fragrance shop and purchased a small bottle of Farouche extrait by Nina Ricci and a small extrait of Le temps d'aimer by Alain Delon. Even though I had already had a nice little collection of parfums, these two were quite special in the fact that I chose them and purchased them for myself.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 6th May 2010 at 11:44 PM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŗ sa source

The fragrance purchases that have made me the happiest are the ones wherein I purchased a scent for someone else, after careful consideration. I adore buying for myself but nothing beats the pleasure I receive from choosing a great scent for someone I care about and watching them enjoy it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Even though all of my scents make me feel happy beyond words, I guess one memory in particular stands out.
    I had already received many scents when I was a young girl, but when I went and "purchased" for the first time for myself; birthday money purchase of course. I went to a small fragrance shop and purchased a small bottle of Farouche extrait by Nina Ricci and a small extrait of Le temps d'aimer by Alain Delon. Even though I had already had a nice little collection of parfums, these two were quite special in the fact that I chose them and purchased them for myself.
    I can relate to this. The very first bottle I bought for myself was Muguet des Bois parfum, a little 1/4 oz. bottle that cost me 6 weeks' allowance ($6.00!) That was back when this scent still occupied a stretch of counter at a high quality department store. Yes, that was special.

Buying Chamade...I had a mini of the EDT when I was about 11 and I loved it. My mom only wore Estee Lauder fragrances so I got the samples from the other lines. To buy it for myself and to find it just as magical as it was back then was truly a rush.

Nahema Pure parfum, yep, with the $315 price tag. Why? Becuase it took me for 4 long months to get my bonus (that I lobbied for quite heavily).
    Hehe. It arrived the week I turned 39 too, so happy birthday to me!!!
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Feminite Du Bois (original Shiseido version)
    I was so pleased to get my hands on that gorgeous
    bottle and amazing scent. It came in a lovely gift box along
    with some perfumed burning cones and some stick-on
    body jewels.

Nahema Pure parfum, yep, with the $315 price tag. Why? Becuase it took me for 4 long months to get my bonus (that I lobbied for quite heavily).
    Hehe. It arrived the week I turned 39 too, so happy birthday to me!!!
    What a special purchase - I'm going to do my best to sample that one. After Can Can of course. And Happy Birthday to you!

Feminite Du Bois (original Shiseido version)
    I was so pleased to get my hands on that gorgeous
    bottle and amazing scent. It came in a lovely gift box along
    with some perfumed burning cones and some stick-on
    body jewels.
    Pics or you don't have those body jewels!

That group of treats sounds lovely.

It was a long time ago, but it was Shalimar parfum. I would smell it on a stranger from time to time - usually a woman much older than I - and I would wonder what the intoxicating fragrance was. Finally, I asked a lady and she told me it was Shalimar parfum, and that a friend had brought it to her from Paris. I knew of the house of Guerlain and was aware of Shalimar but had never smelled it in extrait form. I bought a small bottle for myself as soon as I could afford to (and I was poor then!), and that delicious amazing perfume thrilled me. I've been pleased with many fragrances over the years, but never more so than that time.

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Ooh! Nice! (and though I agree with 30 Roses and think that your purchasing a scent IN PARIS would be amazing...) my adventure into scent since October '09 has been immensely satisfying altogether. My Sycomore purchase was probably my most satisfying, as it is a scent I know I will definitely use the entire crazy 200 ml bottle of with no regrets whatsoever.
    You're a very recent perfumista ike me...(although your nose is much more developed, it seems from your reviews!)
    My enthusiasm/obsession only began this past January. This past December, friends in Paris emailed me to tell me they were coming to Houston and asked if they could bring me anything. I SAID NO THANK YOU. Still kicking myself...

Presprictives Calyx.It has not been around in Greece for the last 10 years.When my son had a serious heart-surgery in London, in 2006,we had to stay there for one month. Everything went so well that, the last day before flying back, I bought the 3.4oz bottle from LE MAISON DE FRAISER, as a souvenir.I could not believe i owned the famous fragrance of my youth.Since then I have been ordering it through the net and it always reminds me the relief and the hapiness for my baby' s health.

For me it was probably Mouchoir de Monsieur. It was an almost mythical fragrance from Guerlain's past. In those days there was no information about it -not even on the Internet, but I heard that Harrods carried it. I rang them and they sent me that beautiful large square bottle that I use as my avatar.

Basenotes Institution

Getting my first Vol de Nuit extrait was a big high.
    Owning my first bottle of Carnal Flower made me ecstatic.

Actually being able to own and wear fragrances I adore and cherish makes me very happy and grateful anyway.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

The Grossmiths Hasu-no-Hana and Shem-el-Nessim. Proparbly a combinaition of: lovely fragrances that suis me well, as in the old days, price and the thought that I've come this far from 5th Avenue that was the first bottle I bought in May 2007.

It is hard to decide, but like Lesesee I love buying perfume for someone else ( I get to do that rarely), and like actiasluna and rose c, I think there is something about waiting and buying in person...

Oh, I should have thought more beginning to post.....I can't decide!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 8th May 2010 at 11:10 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Eva Pasco

Basenotes Plus

All of them, but the first time I scored some vintage Shalimar extrait was a real highlight.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I was thrilled when I got my first bottle of Chergui.

One time that stands out, primarily because of the seller's stunning generosity ... when I bid on and won a full bottle of vintage No. 19 parfum on eBay. I had neurosed about it for a while, wondering if it would be the real thing, etc. When it finally arrived, the seller sent not one but TWO bottles -- the full one I bid on, and a half-full one just because! I've been using the half-full one thus far, and it's perfect. Her generosity continues to amaze me.

I love all my purchases, especially those I've made from proper brick-and-mortar perfume purveyers and not online or at discounters like TJMAXX and such. However, two special purchases come immediately to mind. The first was Voleur de Roses, which was the first (and possibly the only) fragrance that actually evoked an intense feeling unrelated to the fragrance itself. That was an exhilirating experience! The second was Sous Le Vent, purchased at the Guerlain Boutique at Epcot. A beautiful shop with wonderful SAs, by the way. And I walked away with a little bit of early 20th century history in a beautiful Art Deco bottle.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 13th May 2010 at 03:32 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Serge Lutens A La Nuit! It was my first full bottle niche fragrance...coming in a close second was Chanel's 31 Rue Cambon ~ that gigantic 200ml. bottle with the amazing magnetic cap ~ I seriously went a bit bonkers when it was "mine"!!!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 13th May 2010 at 08:05 PM.

LOL -- finding somethign I really want at TJ Maxx makes me WAY happier than buying the same thing full-price from a regular store! It's the thrill of the hunt.

My first poured decant of En Avion at the Caron Boutique in NYC; almost a spritual experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    Oh, I think it must be about a month ago, when I was in the little local perfume shop and spied, among the Idylles and Insolences, a lone mini of L'Heure Bleue. They opened the box so I could try it, and I took my first whiff of a Guerlain classic. Marked down from $35 to $10, it was mine!
    Oh that is awesome!!!! I love L'Heure Bleue, and the price, you lucky girl!

My happiest (and most expensive purchase was Guerlain's 180 Ans. I never thought I would own it. I lamented the fact that it cannot be purchased. I bid on a bottle on eBay and lost, but the seller "found" another bottle for me.
    Evenstar

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

I was very lucky two years ago

three beautiful vintages

AprŤs l'ondťe pure perfume 30 ml

L'Origan in a amazing Lalique bottle

N'aimez que moi Caron, in Lalique too!
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

well... the plain TODAY from avon.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

For me it has to be many of my Bond No.9 Scents.....These really last on my skin and bring compliments.....As I have stated in the past.....I am a Big Bond No.9 Fan.....Big.....Real BIG!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    For me it has to be many of my Bond No.9 Scents.....These really last on my skin and bring compliments.....As I have stated in the past.....I am a Big Bond No.9 Fan.....Big.....Real BIG!!!
    Gary
    I must add Diesel Fuel For Life Pour Homme Summer 2009, The Armani Prive Collection, Armani Code Pour Homme and Terre D'Hermes!!!
    Gary

Buying full bottles of Dzing! and Musc Ravageur one year after I got small 5 ml decants that I kept as treasures for a year!

For me the answer is Guerlain Vetiver.

Banned

It happened this winter when I discovered Caron's Bellodgia.
    Such a heady, beautiful floral with a distinct carnation note. Now I keep hearing that they won't sell it anymore, so I'm buying backup bottles.

I have so many loves, but I would have to say the first time I opened my new bottle of "Myrrhe Ardente" by Goutal, I could not get over the beauty of it. I felt like I had been wrapped in cashmere and was sipping hot buttered rum by the fireplace. I could not stop smelling my wrists for the rest of the day, I just loved it. This was something that I had bought unsniffed from the lovely Dawnkana, and it has been one of my favorites since that very day.

Une Rose by Frederick Malle.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Lilybelle, I enjoyed how your Shalimar story played out in my theater of the mind.
    Snafoo, I most related to your Epcot experience for the sense of fun that place can impart.
    30 Roses, youíre so right. Thereís much to be said for anticipation. I resolved a few months ago to save my sampling and shopping expenditures for that much-hoped-for trip to Massachusetts in July (Go BN Team Boston!). Itíll be almost like Iím a fragrance virgin again.

Since my purchases are always through the mail, I canít say Iíve experienced an especially remarkable happy moment. But I love the question and reading othersí thoughts.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I've thought a lot about this before responding to this thread, and my answer is Hypnotic Poison, bought pre-BN. HP & I go back a loooong time, and it's a story I've told lots here, but in summary, it was the first fume I bought for me in years.

Coming in a close second are Tabac Blond and Theorema. Last year my DH let me buy two fumes for our anni, and these were it! I can't tell you how stoked I was to finally have a bottle of TB in my possession. We went up to the Perfume House to get it, and I was so afraid that all the TBs would be sold out before I got up there that I called like twice over the course of a week, making sure it was still in stock. Theorema was a "Ooh, look, it's on ebay and it's discontinued and I really want it!" with a no-strings-attached "Go ahead!"
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 16th May 2010 at 10:48 PM.

Hillaire

Does it count fragrances that we have gotten as gifts? Because my most-thrilling, most happy-making fragrances by far... were gifts from my boyfriend, namely Ubar and most recently Ciel (OMGOMGOMG, that is some gorgeous juice!!).

Also, like Leesee and Nostalgie, I get enormous satisfactionl choosing fragrances for others that are super personal and perfectly appropriate.

I guess of all the scents I have purchased all on my own, for myself, the most pleasing was perhaps 'Y' some years ago. Its importance and beauty made such an impact on me I bought a bottle post haste; I recall basking in it for weeks. The original Rive Gauche and Dia also incited memorable, intense 'love affairs'.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 17th May 2010 at 03:35 AM.

No way, I will NOT choose! When buying any perfume, it's because I'm in the mood to treat myself to something nice. That's the highlight, for me. The scent itself is the flavor.

Like 30 Roses, it's theones I have to wait for that I remember particularly fondly.
    Last Xmas my hubby bought me Miller Harris L'Air de Rien, which I had been craving and saving up for for a year and a half.
    The Xmas before, he bought me Chanel Cuir de Russie extrait, which was astonishing and which I treat like gold.
    I also cherish my Chanel No 22 extrait, for the same reason.
    And my Iris Poudre and L'Eau d'Hiver, which were birthday presents from him and Small.

So yes, things I've waited for or have been given as gifts by special people.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729