Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Turbulences by Revillon.

Subject: Turbulences by Revillon (extrait)
    Question: Is this fragrance wearable by les hommes?
    Question 2: Could this fragrance be layered with something (what is the something?) that would make it wearable by les hommes?
    Statement: I love oakmoss which, this has in abundance so, that is where my interest is. Please ilucidate.

BTW: Bal a Versailles extrait. Same questions as above please.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 6th May 2010 at 07:15 PM.

Default Re: Turbulences by Revillon.

I recall the pretty bottle from decades ago, but cannot recall the scent itself. Let us know what you discover.

I do think Bal a Versailles can be unisex, but it is up to the man who wears it.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I unfortunately have no experience with Bal a Versailles, but I do own several older bottles of Turbulences Parfum de Toilette.

I cannot say if the version in the newer style packaging is the same as what I own or how the extrait differs from the PDT.

It's a very nice fragrance, soft, floral, and mossy. I don't remember it as being very sweet or aggressively floral, but rather soft, slightly powdery, and reserved. But I'd have to spray it again before I can say more, since it has been a while since I last wore it.

I don't see why it couldn't be worn by a man. I have worn it several times during my normal day to day routine. If you find it too floral perhaps layering it with a soft leather or a bit of restrained cedar would do the trick.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 7th May 2010 at 07:48 PM.

I would think both scents could be wearable by a man. The drydown of Turbulences is mossy and green and the florals are tamed by the caraway and nutmeg. As for Bal a Versailles, absolutely. Nothing overtly girly about it, resinous and warm.

Turbulences is what the posters above have alluded to - green, mossy, not hugely floral. Subtle aldehydic kick to it. A good comparison is Climat by Lancome. I don't see why it would be inappropriate for the guys at all. Personally, I would not layer it with anything.

Bal a Versailles, of course is a denizen of a different race entirely, esp. in extrait. But could a gentleman make it his scent? I think you could, but I would see it as a scent for winter nights and formal wear. Or winter nights when you don't intend to wear anything at all.

I get a very strong dried-grass/hay note from Turbulences. Definite unisex potential there.

Bal a Versailles is definitely unisex. Such an unusual, animalic scent for such a girly bottle.

I wore this to bed last night to try to refresh my memory.

Some of it no doubt rubbed off during the night, but this morning I could still easily detect the base notes.

I smell nothing decidedly feminine. The drydown is soft, only slightly sweet, slightly powdery, and gently woody. I don't smell the floral notes that were evident before. At this stage especially I see no problem whatsoever with a man wearing it, and I agree that layering is unnecessary.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 8th May 2010 at 05:20 AM.

Blog Entries

OK, I finally succumbed to tempatation and the allure of the unknown and ordered Turbulences. Apparently even the company that makes this perfume is difficult to find information about except that they have been around at least since 1934. Well, I love a mystery so, it should be interesting to see how this semi-blindbuy turns out. Thanks to all who replied to this thread and if anyone else has more information feel free to post it.

I first smelled this in the late 80s in a parfum version. It was magical! Recently tried the reformulated EDT version - very bad! Nothing left from the original.
    Which version have you tried? What was your impression about it?

Blog Entries

I have the parfum & like it very much. I'm quite sure you will like that version.

Hillaire

It smells just like Anais Anais used to. (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    It smells just like Anais Anais used to. (IMO)
    Having had a deprived youth I never sniffed Anais Anais... but I do like my vintage Turbulences EDP (or is it PDT...) anyway... (the nice-sized 100 ml splash bottle which I promptly made a spray decant from.) Sense leather in there with everything else. But I sense leather in almost everything! (okay, not in Chanel No. 19 or Annayake Miyako or...) but you get the drift.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 25th May 2010 at 01:42 AM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Anais Anais? Really? Don't remember Turbulences being so flowery. Delicate, may be...

actiasluna, how old is your vintage Turbulences? There is one vintage Turbulences for sale on Basenotes now...

Quote Originally Posted by riso View Post
    Anais Anais? Really? Don't remember Turbulences being so flowery. Delicate, may be...

actiasluna, how old is your vintage Turbulences? There is one vintage Turbulences for sale on Basenotes now...
    Hmm... I'm unsure... it's a flat, round bottle and the box looks like this: http://maskmakers.com/2010ebay/Turbulencesbox.jpg

Mine may be older than the one here. (just a guess by the packaging, the one here looks like a "derivative" of that packaging, which is all blue-gray and has more "turbulent lines" to the bottle and cap.)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 25th May 2010 at 02:53 AM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Hillaire

Perhaps, Riso, you haven't smelled Anais in its vintage incarnation? It was once a greenish leather scent with some aromatic peppery stuff. It was actually amazing. The new stuff is an insipid floral.

Blog Entries

I tried Turbulences this morning and it is really quite nice. I have the parfum version which was a blind buy and I am quite happy with it. The Oakmoss is wonderful and the fragrance is understated unisex if not over applied. I am glad I did not pass this one up.