Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Fragrances you feel you 'shouldn't' like but secretly do...

I am finding that I rather like some of the Aftershave scents .I believe I tried Bod Heat from a towelette sample stuck to my bottle of Pretty white musk (not e.arden a cheap southern body fantasy type scent)And Avon vintage Leather ,Fielders Choice are nice too.

Speaking of EA fragrances, I stopped a woman radiating some wonderful scent and she told me it was Red Door. It smelled wonderful on her. I agree that Pretty is well...pretty. I stopped a woman in Macys to ask her what fragrance she wore. I almost didn't believe her when she said Aromatics Elixir. It never smelled that luscious on me. Most recently, I asked a woman about her fragrance and turns out it was Avon's Haiku. It smelled summery and lovely. Similar to Pure White Linen, which I have and wear often, but a little different too. Smelling a fragrance on others is such a different experience than wearing it ourselves. There are plenty of fragrances that I enjoy from a distance.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Can Can by Paris Hilton
    Curious by Spears/Arden
    Red Door by Elisabeth Arden (well, we are some who buy it, it's still in stores, right?!)

Natural civet and castoreum. Cute fuzzy creature abuse smells great! Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Natural civet and castoreum. Cute fuzzy creature abuse smells great! Oh well...
    +1...

Undiluted civet = zoo animal bedding and halitosis = bleuuuuurgh! You weirdos!

Well, I still marvel at the selection of scents I was attracted to as a teenager in Finland. Red Door was one of them. I blame the freezing winters... but in all seriousness, I'd probably still wear it for nostalgia reasons occasionally, but I have forever ruined Arden scents because of work associations from long ago. Not that I disliked my time at Arden, quite the opposite, but I just don't feel glamorous and sexy when I spray on something that makes me think of ringing cash registers.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by bookwyrmsmith View Post
    I like EA fragrances too the clerks at two P/x es (military department store)were always very kind ! 5th avenue is on my To buy list.
    Which do you like Hillare, Pretty or Pretty cologne ? They have slightly different notes.I've got the cologne.
    I only know Pretty. I did not make an 'OMG' impression, but I did find it pleasing enough to wear.

This thread will probably provide many other examples:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/251...ilty-pleasures)
    I like Emporio Armani She on a friend of mine. On me it is synthetic, boring and pretty awful. However, on her it smells clean and proper and nice.

Oh yes, I mentioned Sunflowers in that thread,
    still a sweetheart of mine ... Gee, Arden really
    issen't that bad! Interesting!

So what is it about Elizabeth Arden scents that makes us (me, too) think we shouldn't like them? I also feel this way about Mackie by Bob Mackie, but I'm not sure why. And I really like Mackie! Actually, I think it may be because I associate him with costumey and flamboyant fashions and sequined panchos, and the celebs he outfitted, like Charo, Joan Collins and Cher...but I guess there's nothing really wrong with that - I like dramatic and flamboyant fragrances, and his perfume smells wonderful!

Although I've never tried it, I've always read such good things about the original Tova that I've been curious and rather eager to get a chance to try it, but I associate her with tv shopping channels and this put me off. But honestly, I'm not sure why. It seems irrational when so much of what we buy we learn about from television first.

I also feel like I probably shouldn't be interested in fragrances that are clearly marketed to teens, like Pink Sugar or the Harajuku Lovers scents, but I really don't care so much about that because I don't hang out with teens so it's unlikely to be recognized anyway. And in addition to just making me feel happy, these soft and sweet little girl scents consistenly get more compliments than anything else I wear, so that's always nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    So what is it about Elizabeth Arden scents that makes us (me, too) think we shouldn't like them?
    I guess it's because they're cheap as trash?!

Yeah, maybe...probably, but that's never made sense to me. I'd be more reluctant to admit I'd spent a lot of money on a mediocre "luxury" fragrance. I'm always happy when a fragrance I love can be gotten for a song, and I'm usually eager to share the news.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

A few months ago I asked a woman what she was wearing..so bright and uplifting...turns out it was Clinique Happy. A washout on my skin, completely boring, but great on hers.

Ok I too love an Elizabeth Arden scent....I have 5th Ave Nights.
    I also like Jessica Simpson's perfume - and yes I get a embarrassed when someone asks me what I'm wearing.
    And I went to school with a girl who wore White Diamonds and it smelled amazing on her....I tried it once and it did not smell nice on me.
    Last edited by jules1; 6th July 2010 at 11:56 AM.

Pink Sugar, Escada Moon Sparkle and Marylin Miglin's Goddess for me. As for shockers on somebody else, one of our execs, a very polished woman of about 45 smelled lovely one day. I asked what it was expecting something pricey or exotic. She quietly said "Paris Hilton".

Quote Originally Posted by jules1 View Post
    Ok I too love an Elizabeth Arden scent....I have 5th Ave Nights.
    Oh yes, 5th Ave. is great too. I haven't smelled the 'Nights'?!

I forgot to mention another semi-embarresing love of mine;
    Lagerfelds SUN MOON STARS ... sooooooo delish!

Haha, Sun Moon Stars... hooo boy! That belonged to the Arden stable back in the day as well; used to see piles of it in the staff shop. I had a bottle at the time, but now it makes me feel a bit queasy.

I don't know where the 'shouldn't like' comes from, really.

It's probably a mix of things and personal for each of us. For me, it's partly to do with celebrity and age associations. I own a bottle of Ralph by Ralph Lauren and even though I don't smell it that much on others any more, every time I do, the wearer is about 13. Therefore I think Ralph is a bit of a surprising sidestep and I 'shouldn't' like it. It feels nice to wear it knowing that. And I must admit I haven't worn it in ages... perhaps it'll be my scent today, seeing as it's a hot, hot, HOT summery day and Ralph's watery boiled sweet smell is just right for this kind of weather.

It's definitely not the price alone. For example, these days one can find Y by YSL at the Perfume Shop for a ridiculously low price. I love that! On the other hand it's a bit sad. One of the best perfumes ever made, sold on the bottom shelf of a discounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    Pink Sugar, Escada Moon Sparkle and Marylin Miglin's Goddess for me. As for shockers on somebody else, one of our execs, a very polished woman of about 45 smelled lovely one day. I asked what it was expecting something pricey or exotic. She quietly said "Paris Hilton".
    Hahaha I love how you tell this story! Brilliant.

Mine at the moment would be Britney Spears In Control Curious--I am 24 years old so I guess the scent "fits" me...but I really dislike her, or at least her image, so I feel like I shouldn't like her scents either. But...it smells good on me!

Haha me too; excellent story! (and excellent telling of it!)
    Last edited by kayley123; 28th June 2010 at 04:23 PM.

Default Re: Fragrances I'm ashamed to admit I like (guilty pleasures)

Pétite Chérie by Annick Goutal (for children?)
    Viva La Juicy--not really a fan of Juicy Couture as a brand, so liking the perfume feels wrong.
    Pink Sugar and Chocolovers...just so sweet and girly and PINK, it seems very silly to wear...
    and Britney Spears Midnight Fantasy & In Control Curious--I am 24 years old so I guess the scent "fits" me...but I really dislike her, or at least her image, so I feel like I shouldn't like her scents either. But...it smells good on me!
    I'm currently thinking about Queen by Queen Latifah...another celebrity scent, and I really don't like to buy into that "because ____ wears this, I should too!" but it seems to smell nice on me too...
    Last edited by kayley123; 28th June 2010 at 04:42 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Actually Queen by Queen Latifah is very nice. Pink Sugar is pleasant too .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Haha, Sun Moon Stars... hooo boy!
    Are you calling me a Ho Boy, or did you misspell Oooh boy?!

AAAAAAAAAhahahahahahaha!

Ducky, which one would you prefer? *wigglyeyebrows*

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Ducky, which one would you prefer? *wigglyeyebrows*
    Well, being both a ho and a nitpicker, it's
    practically impossible for me to choose!

Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Well, being both a ho and a nitpicker, it's
    practically impossible for me to choose!

I LOVE that pic! XD

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=hoo%20boy

I can go from highbrow to low rent in a NY minute! If it smells great to you, just wear it! Sometimes the least "remarkable" fragrances are the most important, because simply, it is tied to a memory...

Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle~~~~~~>Jovan Womens Musk
    Last edited by scents_&_sensibilities; 29th June 2010 at 04:11 PM.

I admit to liking the EDT of Guerlain's Insolence. Candy-flower violet top notes that no self-respecting Basenoter would admit to taking an interest in...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I don't think Elizabeth Arden is embarrassing enough, sorry. I still wear Perfumers Workshop Tea Rose on occasion, too; and I think Sun Moon Stars is great. Sophia Grosjman did it, and it smells like a cross between Eternity and...I forget, Trésor I think. It's not today's style, but I'd wear it and I love the bottle. I wear Parfums de Coeur's Body Fantasies Fresh White Musk. Try to beat that one! I'm no longer embarrassable with regard to fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I admit to liking the EDT of Guerlain's Insolence. Candy-flower violet top notes that no self-respecting Basenoter would admit to taking an interest in...
    Nope...I love Insolence!

Basenotes Plus

Shout out to a fellow "Marilyn Miglin Goddess" Fan
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

WINGSfor men giorgio beverly hills... drugstore royalty

I've been ashamed to like Ambrette 9 by Le Labo for a long time now. Just because so many people say it smells like babies. That or they can't smell it at all. But I can smell it all day! All the time! It doesn't make me think of babies! It clings to my skin and I love it. It's on my "find a decant" list.

I also love love love Miss Dior Cherie L'eau. I love it, another one of those barely-there scents, and again it clings on all day. I saw somebody describe it as "gloopy" on another forum, and I was like, "... gloopy? GLOOPY?!" I got all outraged! "I think you'll find that's Miss Dior Cherie. Not Miss Dior Cherie L'eau!" Well, I think it's lovely! Nuh nuh nuh! I didn't respond to the comment, but I said it loudly to my computer screen.

So I'm kind of embarrassed about those two. And also, whenever I click Harajuku Lovers Lil' Angel as my scent of the day, I get worried people think I'm wearing the regular Lil' Angel. I always want to be like, "No, no. NO! It's the Sunshine Cuties version!" Which is so much better, obviously. But it is! It's delicious!
    Last edited by mel_lou; 5th July 2010 at 07:09 PM.

Sometimes I find that it isn't the fact that the fragrance is mass market, sold by a celebrity ,advertised to the gender opposite my own or to an age demographic I am no longer/or not in yet isn't the embarrassing thing about a fragrance . The embarrassing thing is the NAME!!!!!
    I wear fragrance first for my own enjoyment NOT to seduce someone around me !I just want nice smells (LOTS and lots see my wardrobe)
    One of these days I will be wearing a nice Sophie Grojsman rose scent at work and I 'll be asked what I'm wearing<wince at the thought>
    Ummm.... Sexual . No I'm NOT trying to hit on you -it's the name of the fragrance . Try Ross or Marshalls if you want a bottle.
    There are other fragrances with ick names too .The whole sex sells thing is gonna make me copy the character in a Stephen Bly book and rename or number any awful named scents that I am uncomfortable revealling the name of.
    (western-mystery-comedy-romance trilogy quite a hoot especially the fragrance incidents)

Basenotes Plus

Honestly, the only thing that could make me ashamed would be to realize that I was wearing frags based on others' opinions of what I should like, rather than letting my own preferences guide me.

That said, FCUK Her is a fragrance name that's pretty cringe-inducing...
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    +1...
    +2.

I don't really do shame for the harmless things I enjoy in life, but I have a fondness for New West that is a little out of tune with the rest of my taste. It was my first instant fragrance love, although I have never owned or worn it myself. Perhaps I should do something about that, perhaps I should just enjoy the scent memory.

Also another vote for Pink Sugar. It's nauseating, horrifying and fascinating at the same time, but I love how distinctive it is.

Cool Re: Fragrances I'm ashamed to admit I like (guilty pleasures)

I adore Jessica Simpson's fragrances, yes, Fancy and Fancy Nights. There I've said it!

Basenotes Institution

I've grown to love Idole d'Armani !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Red Door E Arden

I'm not a huge one for marine scents, but I have a soft spot for Giorgio Ocean Dreams as it was one of my first 'grown up' perfumes as a young teen. Also, all hail Dana- I love Tabu, English Leather and their version of Chantilly. All cheap and trashy! I like Charlie also- and what's embarrassing about Sun, Moon and Stars?! I love it!

Coco and No 19. Why? "What? Coco and No. 19?? Arent they for women??"

'Guilt' is strong word... but, okay. I love vintage Arpege extrait, but there is no way but saying that it is so quintessentially feminine smelling to my nose - until it reaches its slightly leathery-animalic base (this is sublime!). I love it though and have worn it going out of the house. I did not notice any special attention I was drawing.

I LOVE Jessica Simpson Fancy. Love.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

i wear Zirh Ikon (to work) and Trumper Sandalwood (to parties)
    not only are they men's fragrances but they are inexpensive, and so eay to wear.
    maybe because my other guilty pleasure (appart from spending time and money sniffing scents) is cigarette smoking.. this does call for specific juice gear lol (i still wear my hair long, enjoy nice clothes and some jewelry though
    i end up being quite vague as where i get my sandalwood and spice from, when asked.
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).