Code of Conduct

Default Bond No. 9 New Haarlem

Would I like this if coffee is not my favorite note?

Default Re: Bond No. 9 New Haarlem

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No. Try Rochas Man instead.

You might. I'm clearly biased since New Haarlem is my favorite ever but there's quite a bit going on there other than the coffee. Try it.
    Rochas Man is too sweet.

I think if you like those flavored coffees with caramel, whip-cream, and a truck-load of sugar, and want to smell like that, then New Haarlem is an excellent choice.

For the smell of the beans or a black cup of coffee, look elsewhere.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 7th May 2010 at 01:33 AM.

I just gave it a brief in store sniff. The coffee was not overwhelming. It smells inordinately close to Rochas Man.
    I get more lavender, vanilla, touch of chocolate.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 7th May 2010 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I just gave it a brief in store sniff. The coffee was not overwhelming. It smells inordinately close to Rochas Man.
    I get more lavender, vanilla, touch of chocolate.
    I puzzle over how people compare Rochas man to New Haarlem. Since they were made by the same guy the skeleton is the same so to speak but the ingridients are so amazingly different that to my nose they're not at all reminiscent of each other.
    I mean, they're in the same gourmandy ballpark but completely different. Rochas man is smooth sweet cotton candy-like giving-you-cavities-as-you're-smelling-it while New Haarlem is astringent with more prominent florals and coffee.
    Last edited by Vladdypwnz; 7th May 2010 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladdypwnz View Post
    I puzzle over how people compare Rochas man to New Haarlem. Since they were made by the same guy the skeleton is the same so to speak but the ingridients are so amazingly different that to my nose they're not at all reminiscent of each other.
    I mean, they're in the same gourmandy ballpark but completely different. Rochas man is smooth sweet cotton candy-like giving-you-cavities-as-you're-smelling-it while New Haarlem is astringent with more prominent florals and coffee.
    I completely agree. I own both Rochas Man and New Haarlem and despite having similar layouts they don't smell much alike. They're both gourmands but as you said, Rochas Man is a smooth sugary vanilla lavender with anise and a hint of coffee. New Haarlem is a less sweet strong coffee scent blended equally with other notes reminiscent of caramel, green notes and slight florals.

The same notes definitely don't equal the same fragrance.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

If you don't like coffee notes, then you had better like lavender ones if you are going to enjoy it !
    Last edited by Bigsly; 7th May 2010 at 03:05 AM.

I think you would like Rochas Man better, I don't smell any coffee in it, just sweet vanilla and lavender with a little resemblance to Givenchy Pi.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladdypwnz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I completely agree. I own both Rochas Man and New Haarlem and despite having similar layouts they don't smell much alike. They're both gourmands but as you said, Rochas Man is a smooth sugary vanilla lavender with anise and a hint of coffee. New Haarlem is a less sweet strong coffee scent blended equally with other notes reminiscent of caramel, green notes and slight florals.

The same notes definitely don't equal the same fragrance.
    I agree with both of these guys. I've said it dozens of times--New Haarlem is to Rochas Man what Green Irish Tweed is to Cool Water. In other words, there may be vague similarities but NH and GIT are in a class by themselves.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

A+ frag, highly recommended. Very sweet and edible.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

No you would not like this fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    For the smell of the beans or a black cup of coffee, look elsewhere.
    Where?! for god sake where?!

on my coffee list is:
    A*Men Pure Coffee - hard to find
    Ava Luxe Cafe Noir - apparently exactly what i want but a little pricey, only in oil form, and only small amounts for sale.

Malone Black Vetiver Cafe - smells great for all of about 5 minutes then it's gone
    Rochas - more like a warm sugary drink, not dark bitter roast coffee
    CSP Vanilla Mokha - more like a latte or cappuccino - getting close but not quite
    Penhaligons Endemion - coffee note sure but lots else
    Polo Double Black - ok, right idea but it's also a strong mango, and the juice is really subtle.

suggestions??? (sorry to hijack your thread OP)
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

1. I don't understand the Cafe Noir auction price since their site still sells it for about $25 instead of $50 in the auction.

2. Looking for OTHER/NEW recommendations... (thanks for the links though!)
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Would I like this if coffee is not my favorite note?
    No, you wouldn't. New Haarlem is coffee note centric.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Do you think it has some similarities with P-G Coze, and M-P-G Eau des Iles?