Code of Conduct

Default Safari is like Burt Reynolds on a bearskin rug ?

This was LT's take on it. I had sampled it long ago but didn't remember it until today. I decided to swap for it because of the reviews here, and I'm glad I did. I feared a powdery (amber) lavender/geranium overload frag, but what I got was something closer to Baldessarini (largely the eucalyptus, I guess) with a touch of A*Men and a dash of an "old school" base. LT didn't explain what he meant so I'm wondering if anyone agrees with him, and if so, why?

Default Re: Safari is like Burt Reynolds on a bearskin rug ?

This used to be my signature scent a long time ago. It was the first real fragrance I owned. I still love it, but it doesn't really suit me. It's also very fumy, so it puts some people off.

My uncle used to wear it some years ago before he got married, and it was great on him. It has been nearly a decade since I have smelled it.

"Fumey" is the right word, although "foghorn" would work, too; it is easy to overapply and seems to hang in the air long after the wearer has left the room. Turin's description made me smile, because the fragrance has a certain open-shirted suggestiveness to it that, to my mind, forcibly evokes a warm-blooded male on the prowl.

Assuming it hasn't changed much in the last ten years, you could do a hell of a lot worse than Safari. If you can rock it, I say go for it.

I was a bit taken aback by that review, too, Bigsly. It's one of my favorite fragrances. I haven't owned it in years, but I'm getting ready to add it back to my wardrobe. I think it's a great fragrance.

I have twice sampled Safari and still not determined what it smelled like. It vanished off of me in 5 minutes.

It conjures a funny picture....I can sort of get it. But I'd never be able to explain it. I remember wearing Safari a lot in the 80s.

On my skin it's very arrid and bracing. The bottle is a little over-the-top (when you consider the simplicity of the current Givenchy and Caron bottles, for example.) My female coworkers love Safari for Men, as do I. Maybe I should buy a bearskin rug...
    Snarky is as snarky does.

It smells great, but it makes me smell like "cologne guy".

Quote Originally Posted by Asmo View Post
    I have twice sampled Safari and still not determined what it smelled like. It vanished off of me in 5 minutes.
    I get slightly better than 5 minutes

Safari doesn't last very long. Maybe 2 hours ? Then settles to be a skin scent ( at best). It feels old school in a way and I like that. The bottle is pretty sharp. But it needs better persistence on the skin. At least for me and Asmo

Burt Reynolds on a bearskin rug ? Hmm....you seem to be fascinated by Dr. Turin's reviews Bigsly. I'm not sure what exactly Turin meant by that, but I would imagine he may have meant Safari is dated and perhaps crass ? Hard to say, except that Luca Turin does not like it.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

If it's a subject I'm interested in, then I try to discern what "experts" mean when they say something that is not clear and doesn't make sense to me. If he had said that the combination of notes X,Y, and Z came to be perceived as "perfumey" by the late 1990s, for example, that would have helped a bit.

Many of his reviews leave us puzzling, Bigs. I just take it to mean it's got a sort of early 80s vibe when Burt Reynolds was popular in a hairy chested lying on a bear skin rug kind of way.

I was also stunned by Luca Turin 's take when I turned to my copy of The Guide, which is just that: a guide. Like food, everyone has different tastes.

A fellow BNer recommended I try this and I like it a great deal. This is an elegant men's floral with leather along the lines of Caron's Le Troisieme Homme. Not a huge sillage powerhouse but pleasant. Nice bottle for the dressing table. Over the top for some, but it reminds me of a crystal cognac carafe.

Top: aldehydes, artemisia, coriander, lavender, green notes, neroli, bergamot, lemon
    Middle: cyclamen, carnation, cinnamon, tarragon, jasmine, rose
    Base: leather, sandalwood, amber, patchouli, musk, oakmoss, cedar

According to the Ralph Lauren site, it is still in production.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'm getting more leopardskin than bear.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Many of his reviews leave us puzzling, Bigs. I just take it to mean it's got a sort of early 80s vibe when Burt Reynolds was popular in a hairy chested lying on a bear skin rug kind of way.
    LOL! I think business suit or at least a sportcoat and slacks. Maybe with, however, a nice hirsute chest underneath a studded, starched tuxedo bosom.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

DeepSilence

It's my signature now. It's Leather/Floral in middle. Dark and a bit old-school. But I don't see any relation with A*Men.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSilence View Post
    It's my signature now. It's Leather/Floral in middle. Dark and a bit old-school. But I don't see any relation with A*Men.
    It is very nice, indeed!